Sergei Gotsmanov

VAR in the Premier League would  

82 members have voted

1. 1. VAR in the Premier League would

• Improve it
    • Make it worse
    • Have good and bad moments but overall the same
    • I'm undecided

I am sure that the black box has already clocked this but I think that VAR is going to dramatically change our game. Referees always tolerated a little bit of pushing and shoving in the box but now they cannot. We will get more goals from set pieces and corners. I think this will mean that players like Gallagher with plenty of height will have more of a value.

How else do people think VAR will change the game?

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

You'd certainly think it'd lead to more penalties. Hopefully it'll stop those dodgy soft penalties the bigger teams see to get, especially at home. It may also finally lead to the attacking players getting the benefit of the doubt (as they're supposed to) with regard to offside. For me it's a positive development but it's going to take some time to iron it out!!

Players will very quickly learn to cut down on all the holding and shirt pulling in the box, so after a brief period of more penalties I think it will all settle down again.

Overall I think it's been a big positive from this World Cup. Not perfect but certainly a lot of poor decisions have been overturned.

There will need to be rules, firstly, managers and players should not be hounding the ref to use VAR, immediate yellow card if they do, they should trust the system to do this.

Secondly if they allow managers and players to call for VAR, can you imagine a manager like Allardyce or Mourinho, last few minutes of a game, holding on as the other team pours wave after wave of attacks on to them, they slow the game down by calling for VAR, killing any momentum and ending the game.

Based on what we have seen in the World Cup I think it will have more impact in other leagues rather the PL, especially for the decisions in the box.

I don't seem to remember seeing some of the frankly absurd grappling and holding that has been going on in the World Cup in the PL, a bit of it goes on but not at that level.

Should be more penalties and if it is used for offside as in the World Cup then more goals.

Typical, two seasons in a row we have perfectly good goals disallowed at Wembley and NOW they bring in VAR.

VAR was in use this season at Wembley against Chelsea.

Am I the only one who hates VAR with a passion. I don't like modern football feel players are over protected nowadays. Can you imagine modern footballers playing with a leather ball with laces and receiving a good old fashion hard tackle. Next thing is that they will be playing with American style helmets. I accept the game has to progress but not sure I like much about it now but it hasn't stopped me going yet.

It's certainly not a panacea. While it's great to get a chance to revisit controversial incidents, VAR will really slow the game down (as it has over here in NA) - especially if there's a clamour to expand the range of incidents reviewed.

Even with VAR the crap that goes on in the box is still a lottery - sometimes punished, often not. The Mitrovic incident and the yellow for the head-butt on Henderson were beyond laughable.

But the most frustrating thing is that Fifa still doesn't have a clear idea of what constitutes handball. The old adage of "hand to ball, not ball to hand" was workable, but that's long gone. If anything, the World Cup has made things even more confusing, so VAR won't help much with that.

Am I the only one who hates VAR with a passion. I don't like modern football feel players are over protected nowadays. Can you imagine modern footballers playing with a leather ball with laces and receiving a good old fashion hard tackle. Next thing is that they will be playing with American style helmets. I accept the game has to progress but not sure I like much about it now but it hasn't stopped me going yet.

luddites.jpg

I was totally against it, but having seen it in action I'm all for it. You only had to look at the South Korean goal to acknowledge its merits.

If it stops howlers like Watford away, or Wembley and doesn't take too much time, I'm all for it. My fear is that managers, players and supporters will demand perfection, and that will undermine the whole thing. The Ramos incident at the end of the Spanish game springs to mind. It should be made clear to everyone , its incidents where 10 out of 10 refs would have given it, not 7 or 8 out 10. I worry that gradually more and more 8/10 decisions will be overturned, then it'll become 7/10, then finally 6/10. Let's get rid of the absolute howlers, sort out off the ball stuff and deal with facts , that's all it should do imo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was totally against it, but having seen it in action I'm all for it. You only had to look at the South Korean goal to acknowledge its merits.

If it stops howlers like Watford away, or Wembley and doesn't take too much time, I'm all for it. My fear is that managers, players and supporters will demand perfection, and that will undermine the whole thing. The Ramos incident at the end of the Spanish game springs to mind. It should be made clear to everyone , its incidents where 10 out of 10 refs would have given it, not 7 or 8 out 10. I worry that gradually more and more 8/10 decisions will be overturned, then it'll become 7/10, then finally 6/10. Let's get rid of the absolute howlers, sort out off the ball stuff and deal with facts , that's all it should do imo .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree that it will get rid of the absolute howlers which can only be a good thing. It will also generate more goals and that can only be a good thing - I think for every penalty given two are not given. The big issue is will it break a game down and take too much time. Personally I think it adds to the excitement.

Hopefully it'll stop those dodgy soft penalties the bigger teams see to get, especially at home.

Hopefully it won't do the opposite and actually help the bigger teams get a result. They seem to be the ones more likely to crowd refs and complain.

They need to change how VAR is called for but its showing its merits - and in Englands favour! At the moment players are rushing to refs doing the VAR sign. Change it to two VAR calls per team per game - captain calls for it, get it wrong you lose one call, get it right you keep both calls.

Also the ref shouldn't decide the VAR decision either.

They need to change how VAR is called for but its showing its merits - and in Englands favour! At the moment players are rushing to refs doing the VAR sign. Change it to two VAR calls per team per game - captain calls for it, get it wrong you lose one call, get it right you keep both calls.

Also the ref shouldn't decide the VAR decision either.

Yeah the unintended consequence is that now there is much more incentive on players to surround the ref to change his mind. Introducing limited appeals is one option. Or alternatively make it a bookable offence ... or maybe more harshly... if you appeal (making the VAR sign), then it automatically forfeits the use of VAR in your favour.

I think the ref still needs to make the final call. Anything else undermines his authority and suddenly he's not the "real" ref. But he should get *told* it's a VAR referral and he needs to go look at the screen, rather than judging for himself (e.g. the Colombia headbutt on Henderson is a case in point). That would also help deal with the above point as the ref has less control of when VAR is called for (but still acts the ultimate decision maker for applying laws of the game).

I've seen nothing whatsoever so far to suggest it will in any way improve football. More penalties for more questionable calls giving more opportunities to hand the teams who do the most attacking more chances to justify their multiple tv appearances. If anything there's been less clarity over decisions, more complaints about when VAR is and isn't used in addition to the ref mistakes, and the whole principle is undermining the refs to the point where the officials have been asked not to signal decisions to allow play to continue just in case.

Basically, it's not improved the accuracy of decision-making, and it's a bunch of faffing for no particular reason, so why on earth would they bother to implement it?

Players will very quickly learn to cut down on all the holding and shirt pulling in the box, so after a brief period of more penalties I think it will all settle down again.

Overall I think it's been a big positive from this World Cup. Not perfect but certainly a lot of poor decisions have been overturned.

A lot of poor decisions have been given purely as a result of VAR reviews as well. The inconsistent application of it has been absolutely comical.