Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 115

Thread: Your transfer thoughts so far?

  1. #1

    Default Your transfer thoughts so far?

    With Vestergaard rumoured to be having a medical it looks like a promising transfer window so far.
    Feels like what it was three years ago when we had players coming in and improving the team.

    I’m pretty sure Angus Gunn is going to come in as a back up keeper once they get Forster out on loan.
    Also now that Carillo is off the books will Alcacer be the icing on the cake?
    Still think we will have a back up right back or a starting one if Soares leaves.

    To date I will mark it 8/10 as Tadic could be badly missed.

  2. #2

    Default

    It's encouraging. I think the club have tried to be too clever in the recent past and now other clubs are after the same sort of players it just comes down to money and the promise that when a bigger club comes in we'll let them leave.

  3. #3

    Default

    I wonder if the difference this year as opposed to the past two seasons is not so much down to people’s favourite whipping boys Reed and Wilson but more down to the fact we have a manager who knows the league, knows what needs strengthening and hasn’t come into the club like a rabbit caught in headlights who hasn’t got a bloody clue about the players here and the league in general.

    Very pleased with the business so far, esp if this Danish CB is confirmed.

  4. #4

    Default

    It certainly helps not having a manager coming into a new job, new league, and not knowing the squad. Hughes has had a few months to assess the squad and probably was already aware of our weaknesses before he joined.

    It's certainly more promising, I'm not sure you can mark it as an 8/10 just yet, but heading in the right direction...

  5. #5

    Default

    Encouraging, Boufal and Forster will go in my opinion (on loan somewhere) and we need a striker (possibly Ings) so lots of work to be done before the transfer window shuts a month today. All in all though a good start.

  6. #6

    Default

    Cautiously optimistic. You never know what you're going to get with new players, but I like the theory of what we've done.

    - Armstrong
    Attacking central midfielder. Can bang them from distance with either foot. Goal threat from midfield has been seriously lacking.

    - Elyounoussi
    Goalscoring & assists from the left wing. Big ask to replace Tadic though. He might need to bulk up a little bit too.

    - Vestergaard
    6'5", aerial beast. Good positioning & comfortable on the ball.

    Remaining positions to strengthen dependant on who (if any) from the squad can step up from the fringes.

    - GK (Gunn would be an unusual one as £15m for a young No.2 who needs to play football would be slightly odd.)
    - Right-back cover (Hughes might find somebody within the squad)
    - Speedster Winger (Really think we need to find a Mane-esque player. The Promes idea was decent, but not sure we'd spend £30m+)
    - Striker (Interesting one as you'd imagine we still need a target-man type)

  7. #7

    Default

    It is, of course, impossible to judge at the moment because each of the signings are new to the Premier League, but on the face of it we have strengthened in some of the areas we needed to. We've lacked a no10 that can score goals consistently, and Armstrong's record (assuming he has been signed to play at no10) indicates that he might be able to step up a level and score goals in the Prem too. I'm not expecting the 15 or so he scored a few seasons ago, but 7 or 8 a year would be a huge bonus. Elyounoussi looks like a 2015 vintage signing; has proven himself in Europe and has plenty of football under his belt. With Boufal not working out, he appears to be just the type of player we need; someone to open up a tight defence. Vestergaard is a hard one to judge; he is clearly enormous, and we certainly need a commanding figure at the back, but Hoedt is also not exactly small and he sometimes struggles to impose himself. Height shouldn't be taken as a guarantee that he'll be the type of player we need. I am cautiously optimistic though.

    As for what's next, I think it will be mostly fine-tuning of the squad; Forster out and another keeper in, a backup for Cedric (unless Harry Reed hugely impresses in China), and maybe another attacking midfielder. If we are to make any further 'big' signings then I think it will be a striker. Personally I think we are lacking a striker that is comfortable with his back to goal. I think Redmond would be a very different player now if he'd had the opportunity to play with Graziano, for example, and I suspect Elyounoussi might be a similar player who will benefit from having such a striker to run beyond. That said, I'm not sure that Hughes agrees with me on this; Carillo is possibly our most similar striker to what I describe above, so either he is very confident of securing a deal for such a player that he'd let Carillo go, or he doesn't intend to play this way. Having said all of that, Gabbiadini played superbly with his back to goal against Swansea, so maybe Hughes, who has brilliant at this himself, is confident of getting the best out of Gabbs. This could indicate why the links to Ings; Gabbiadini to hold the ball up, Ings to get in the box and put chances away.

    Overall, I think we'll see one more signing in each area of the pitch; goalkeeper (Gunn?), defender (right back), midfielder (someone like Joao Mario), striker (Ings?). And a few loan exits to balance up the squad (Forster, Boufal, Gallagher, Reed, and hopefully Hesketh as well so he can get some time on the pitch- I think it would be fascinating to see how he gets on in the Championship).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintoaks View Post
    Encouraging, Boufal and Forster will go in my opinion (on loan somewhere) and we need a striker (possibly Ings) so lots of work to be done before the transfer window shuts a month today. All in all though a good start.
    Hopefully we should get a full transfer for Boufal if Nice want him. We might even get some of our Vestergaard cash back in a roundabout way if Mönchengladbach sign Plea.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batterseasaint View Post
    It is, of course, impossible to judge at the moment because each of the signings are new to the Premier League, but on the face of it we have strengthened in some of the areas we needed to. We've lacked a no10 that can score goals consistently, and Armstrong's record (assuming he has been signed to play at no10) indicates that he might be able to step up a level and score goals in the Prem too. I'm not expecting the 15 or so he scored a few seasons ago, but 7 or 8 a year would be a huge bonus. Elyounoussi looks like a 2015 vintage signing; has proven himself in Europe and has plenty of football under his belt. With Boufal not working out, he appears to be just the type of player we need; someone to open up a tight defence. Vestergaard is a hard one to judge; he is clearly enormous, and we certainly need a commanding figure at the back, but Hoedt is also not exactly small and he sometimes struggles to impose himself. Height shouldn't be taken as a guarantee that he'll be the type of player we need. I am cautiously optimistic though.

    As for what's next, I think it will be mostly fine-tuning of the squad; Forster out and another keeper in, a backup for Cedric (unless Harry Reed hugely impresses in China), and maybe another attacking midfielder. If we are to make any further 'big' signings then I think it will be a striker. Personally I think we are lacking a striker that is comfortable with his back to goal. I think Redmond would be a very different player now if he'd had the opportunity to play with Graziano, for example, and I suspect Elyounoussi might be a similar player who will benefit from having such a striker to run beyond. That said, I'm not sure that Hughes agrees with me on this; Carillo is possibly our most similar striker to what I describe above, so either he is very confident of securing a deal for such a player that he'd let Carillo go, or he doesn't intend to play this way. Having said all of that, Gabbiadini played superbly with his back to goal against Swansea, so maybe Hughes, who has brilliant at this himself, is confident of getting the best out of Gabbs. This could indicate why the links to Ings; Gabbiadini to hold the ball up, Ings to get in the box and put chances away.

    Overall, I think we'll see one more signing in each area of the pitch; goalkeeper (Gunn?), defender (right back), midfielder (someone like Joao Mario), striker (Ings?). And a few loan exits to balance up the squad (Forster, Boufal, Gallagher, Reed, and hopefully Hesketh as well so he can get some time on the pitch- I think it would be fascinating to see how he gets on in the Championship).
    Good points. Similar to mine (but far better articulated than mine!) If Vestergaard really is dominant in the air, hopefully he'll improve others around him. (Think Lovren partnered with VvD).

    IIRC, Hoedt had really poor aerial stats one season, then really good ones another year, so maybe he takes time to adjust.

    Certainly agree on the extra attacking winger front. We struggled up top last season & that was before we'd sold Tadic & Boufal. Maybe we think we've got enough within the ranks (Redmond / Sims etc) but that's a big ask, IMO.

    The striker scenario is going to be interesting to watch. Paco Alacer & Andrea Petagna are wildly different players so it'll give us some insight into how Hughes wants us to set up.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Cautiously optimistic. You never know what you're going to get with new players, but I like the theory of what we've done.

    - Armstrong
    Attacking central midfielder. Can bang them from distance with either foot. Goal threat from midfield has been seriously lacking.

    - Elyounoussi
    Goalscoring & assists from the left wing. Big ask to replace Tadic though. He might need to bulk up a little bit too.

    - Vestergaard
    6'5", aerial beast. Good positioning & comfortable on the ball.

    Remaining positions to strengthen dependant on who (if any) from the squad can step up from the fringes.

    - GK (Gunn would be an unusual one as £15m for a young No.2 who needs to play football would be slightly odd.)
    - Right-back cover (Hughes might find somebody within the squad)
    - Speedster Winger (Really think we need to find a Mane-esque player. The Promes idea was decent, but not sure we'd spend £30m+)
    - Striker (Interesting one as you'd imagine we still need a target-man type)
    Good post.

    Yeh it's all on paper at the moment, they all look like promising signings (Armstrong is probably the main worry as he seemed to not be a Celtic first teamer, in a very weak league but hopefully that was just injuries) but who knows if they'll work out. Hoedt and Lemina looked good signings, but struggled to adapt (though I think will be better this year).

    Elyounoussi seemed to play either side for Basel, and from what I have read he's quite stocky so should be ok on that front.

    But it does look like we have addressed some areas clearly in need of attention, i.e a goalscoring centre-mid, a new creative wide player and direct VVD replacement (at least physically).

    You'd think with Carrillo gone, Boufal due to go and likely Clasie going at the least, if not maybe Forster there would be funds/wages (and a need) for a few more to come in.

    Formation is an interesting one for this as it could dictate who we bring in. I think basically we have two options -

    1.

    If we go for this 5-3-2 formation we could end up playing it more like Chelsea's version of it, rather than England's version of it, i.e with one central striker, two centre-mids and then like two floating wingers/inside forwards.

    Almost more like a 3-2-2-2-1. This would see Mo + another playing in behind say Austin or Gabbi for example.

    Or

    2.

    We got for a more traditional interpretation of 5-3-2, with two strikers. In which case we might bring in another striker, say Alcacer or similar to come in to play in a more conventional front two with Austin, Long, Gabbi and 'another' competing for two spots.

    In this approach you have to question where Elyounoussi is going to play, as he is mainly a winger and we could be doing a Sterling trying to shoehorn a wide player into a central position he is not comfortable with. It could also mean that we are not going another wide player in to 'replace' Boufal.

    I'd presume Austin/Gallagher provide our target man type player and I definitely agree that we need more pace as well.


    5 in, if it was Armstrong, Mo, Verstergaard, new striker/winger and a keeper.

    With outs of Tadic, Carrillo, Boufal, Forster and Clasie.

    I think would be a good window.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Hopefully we should get a full transfer for Boufal if Nice want him. We might even get some of our Vestergaard cash back in a roundabout way if Mönchengladbach sign Plea.
    Hopefully with Seri's transfer nearing they will have the funds for boufal.

    Defenitely encouraging and with replacements of the similar ilk as the previous ones in striker, rb and back up goalkeeper. I will feel cautiously optimistic haha

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Good post.

    Yeh it's all on paper at the moment, they all look like promising signings (Armstrong is probably the main worry as he seemed to not be a Celtic first teamer, in a very weak league but hopefully that was just injuries) but who knows if they'll work out. Hoedt and Lemina looked good signings, but struggled to adapt (though I think will be better this year).

    Elyounoussi seemed to play either side for Basel, and from what I have read he's quite stocky so should be ok on that front.

    But it does look like we have addressed some areas clearly in need of attention, i.e a goalscoring centre-mid, a new creative wide player and direct VVD replacement (at least physically).

    You'd think with Carrillo gone, Boufal due to go and likely Clasie going at the least, if not maybe Forster there would be funds/wages (and a need) for a few more to come in.

    Formation is an interesting one for this as it could dictate who we bring in. I think basically we have two options -

    1.

    If we go for this 5-3-2 formation we could end up playing it more like Chelsea's version of it, rather than England's version of it, i.e with one central striker, two centre-mids and then like two floating wingers/inside forwards.

    Almost more like a 3-2-2-2-1. This would see Mo + another playing in behind say Austin or Gabbi for example.

    Or

    2.

    We got for a more traditional interpretation of 5-3-2, with two strikers. In which case we might bring in another striker, say Alcacer or similar to come in to play in a more conventional front two with Austin, Long, Gabbi and 'another' competing for two spots.

    In this approach you have to question where Elyounoussi is going to play, as he is mainly a winger and we could be doing a Sterling trying to shoehorn a wide player into a central position he is not comfortable with. It could also mean that we are not going another wide player in to 'replace' Boufal.

    I'd presume Austin/Gallagher provide our target man type player and I definitely agree that we need more pace as well.


    5 in, if it was Armstrong, Mo, Verstergaard, new striker/winger and a keeper.

    With outs of Tadic, Carrillo, Boufal, Forster and Clasie.

    I think would be a good window.
    I like both the 2 variations of 5-3-2 you mentioned.

    I like the idea of 1 striker with 2 'inside forwards' either side (imagine Elyounoussi left & Shaqiri right) with Berty & Cedric providing the crosses.

    & we certainly have the numbers up top to play with 2 strikers.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SaintBitterne View Post
    Hopefully with Seri's transfer nearing they will have the funds for boufal.
    Plus Balotelli's wages off their wage bill too

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    I like both the 2 variations of 5-3-2 you mentioned.

    I like the idea of 1 striker with 2 'inside forwards' either side (imagine Elyounoussi left & Shaqiri right) with Berty & Cedric providing the crosses.

    & we certainly have the numbers up top to play with 2 strikers.
    That option also means there is more use for Redmond and Sims, plus would mean we had the players available to switch into a 4-3-3 or 4-3-2-1 with two wide players supporting one striker as you basically swap a centre-back for a centre-mid.

    We have enough options for two strikers, but I presume would see someone playing just behind them which would have to be Moe or Redmond really which doesn't make much sense.

  15. Default

    Until you see them in action it's impossible to say, but I can see a marked change in this years approach.

    The last couple of summers we've focused on players at 'big clubs' who have seemingly lost their way, not getting much game time etc. Sometimes you can unearth gems that way, but when most of your transfer strategy goes down that route it's a little worrying.

    However, this summer we've gone out and secured first team players who were leading players in their respective teams and leagues - and most importantly, they all have European experience - in the sense of Mo, he's played at the very highest level with Basel and to me is a bit of a coup.

  16. #16

    Default

    Absolutely rubbish we aren’t going to buy anyone and we’re going down oh and mr goa is taking all the money

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,394
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    The positive of such poor performances last year is that almost every player is replaceable. Some of these new guys may work out or they may not but they'd have to play terrible to be worse than what we saw last season. They seem like good buys so far and surely have a good chance to be more than insipid and uninspiring which means they have improved us. Even tadic was pretty rubbish for most of last season.

  18. #18

    Default

    Does anybody here rate Ings? I've never thought much of him. Don't think he'll solve any problems for us.

  19. Default

    Certainly feel more positive than I did this time last year.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Love and Light.
    Posts
    4,634

    Default

    - Armstrong
    Average

    - Elyounoussi
    Good

    - Vestergaard
    Terrible

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    7,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Does anybody here rate Ings? I've never thought much of him. Don't think he'll solve any problems for us.
    No - I don't. I'm really hoping that our links to him are bullsh*t, will be massively underwhelmed if he rocks up at SMS.

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Rownhams
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Does anybody here rate Ings? I've never thought much of him. Don't think he'll solve any problems for us.
    Yes I do, he is potentially better than we have.
    Depending of course on fee, wages and fitness he could be another Jayrod of last season given game time.
    Has a point to prove and we could benefit from that.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Does anybody here rate Ings? I've never thought much of him. Don't think he'll solve any problems for us.
    Would be a handy squad player for us, but offers little other than what we have.

    His knees are worse than Austin’s, I’d avoid like the plague if it was down to me

  24. #24

    Default

    On paper looks pretty decent. Still think we’re lacking a quick unpredictable wide man.

  25. #25

    Default

    Think the vestergaard and el younoussi signings could be decent, Armstrong feels like more of a squad player for me but if he can add goals from midfield could be a bargain.
    But the position I'd like to see us work on now is another attacking wide player shaqiri, promes sisto type, otherwise if elyounoussi doesn't work out we could end up considerably worse then last season in a position we already struggled with after losing boufal and tadic..
    Would prefer us to upgrade there rather then cf still think gabbiadini has potential to be better then most strikers we could attract, and I'm not really excited by alcacer don't think he had the physical attributes for the prem would be better to try get the best out of gabbiadini imo .

  26. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Would be a handy squad player for us, but offers little other than what we have.

    His knees are worse than Austin’s, I’d avoid like the plague if it was down to me
    Not sure there's been any credible links so far? Liverpool apparently want far too much money for him anyway.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Does anybody here rate Ings? I've never thought much of him. Don't think he'll solve any problems for us.

    I think already have the "striker who doesn't play for half the season" spot covered not sure we need Ings as well.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Think the vestergaard and el younoussi signings could be decent, Armstrong feels like more of a squad player for me but if he can add goals from midfield could be a bargain.
    But the position I'd like to see us work on now is another attacking wide player shaqiri, promes sisto type, otherwise if elyounoussi doesn't work out we could end up considerably worse then last season in a position we already struggled with after losing boufal and tadic..
    Would prefer us to upgrade there rather then cf still think gabbiadini has potential to be better then most strikers we could attract, and I'm not really excited by alcacer don't think he had the physical attributes for the prem would be better to try get the best out of gabbiadini imo .

    If we are going to play 5-3-2 ( or variations of) as Hughes did at the end of last season or in our first pre season game I'm not really sure where we are going to play another wide player?

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Would be a handy squad player for us, but offers little other than what we have.

    His knees are worse than Austin’s, I’d avoid like the plague if it was down to me
    According to Transfermarkt he's played a total of 10.5 top level games over the past three full seasons. Would be an absolutely insane transfer for a position where we really need a reliable addition to the first XI.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Exeter
    Posts
    4,248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    Until you see them in action it's impossible to say, but I can see a marked change in this years approach.

    The last couple of summers we've focused on players at 'big clubs' who have seemingly lost their way, not getting much game time etc. Sometimes you can unearth gems that way, but when most of your transfer strategy goes down that route it's a little worrying.

    However, this summer we've gone out and secured first team players who were leading players in their respective teams and leagues - and most importantly, they all have European experience - in the sense of Mo, he's played at the very highest level with Basel and to me is a bit of a coup.
    I'd agree, this is much more like 2014 and 2015 summer windows when we bought Tadic, Mane, VVD, Bertrand, Romeu et al, not every signing came off but you could see a rationale. Deals seem to be getting closed out faster and there's a crisper, more dynamic feeling to how the club is going about it's transfer business. There will need to be some departures now - Fraser, Jordi, S Davis, maybe one of the CBs - but hopefully the same extends there. Hopefully this is a lasting thing rather than the early finish to the window.

    The 'new direction' Guan referred to didn't pay off so back to what served us well previously. I think having a manager there who understands what the PL and England requires - Koeman hadn't played here before but understood it - now with Hughes is a big help. I just don't think CP and MP understood it (the former might now a bit more after 2 seasons., not sure the latter ever would). When you are signing players from huge clubs who are light on first team football, the intensity of the PL every week must have been one hell of a shock.

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    If we are going to play 5-3-2 ( or variations of) as Hughes did at the end of last season or in our first pre season game I'm not really sure where we are going to play another wide player?
    If that's the case where does elyounoussi play?

  32. #32

    Default

    Its a transition period from Seaside b&b to 5 star hotel

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    If that's the case where does elyounoussi play?

    Second striker I guess.

  34. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Yes I do, he is potentially better than we have.
    Depending of course on fee, wages and fitness he could be another Jayrod of last season given game time.
    Has a point to prove and we could benefit from that.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Too many ifs and buts, we need a decent striker who will be an improvement on what we've got.

  35. Default

    It's definitely encouraging - seem to be addressing the right areas of the team that need strengthening and it's also good to see some clear decisions being made on those who need to go to clear space in the squad. Suspect the appointment of a stronger manager like Hughes who will have clear ideas has helped in terms of pushing through the decisions on Carillo, Boufal, etc.

    The unknown factor at this point though is who else may go or at least want to go who we may not want to lose - Bertrand, Cedric, Romeu come to mind. Hopefully they will want to stay given the apparent improvement in willingness to improve the squad though.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Cautiously optimistic. You never know what you're going to get with new players, but I like the theory of what we've done.

    - Armstrong
    Attacking central midfielder. Can bang them from distance with either foot. Goal threat from midfield has been seriously lacking.

    - Elyounoussi
    Goalscoring & assists from the left wing. Big ask to replace Tadic though. He might need to bulk up a little bit too.

    - Vestergaard
    6'5", aerial beast. Good positioning & comfortable on the ball.

    Remaining positions to strengthen dependant on who (if any) from the squad can step up from the fringes.

    - GK (Gunn would be an unusual one as £15m for a young No.2 who needs to play football would be slightly odd.)
    - Right-back cover (Hughes might find somebody within the squad)
    - Speedster Winger (Really think we need to find a Mane-esque player. The Promes idea was decent, but not sure we'd spend £30m+)
    - Striker (Interesting one as you'd imagine we still need a target-man type)
    Agree with most of this. Adding Gunn to those 3 if the reports are true, then so far we have done some good business. We’ve started by signing a couple of attacking players, then in Vestergaard and Gunn it looks like we’re trying to strengthen the spine. That’s why I’m glad Hughes stayed on, as he had a couple of months to see the flaws in the squad, over a manager we’d have just appointed.

    We did need refreshing with a rebuild this summer, and I still think we are short in attacking midfield and up front, so more work needs to be done there, and as per every summer there will be a player that wants to leave shortly before the end of the window. (Bertrand, Cédric, Gabz, Lemina are the front runners here IMO but I hope they all stay as they are vital to doing better than we did last season). There should also be more players being shipped out to make some space: Davis has been loyal and decent, but should be allowed to move on, Boufal will obviously go, and I expect one of Targett or McQueen to leave. I don’t think we will bring in a third choice keeper unless there is space in the squad, nor do I think there will be a back up right back brought in (unless it is a very young talent, we were linked with one earlier in the window but I forgot his name) as Reed can play there.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    I think already have the "striker who doesn't play for half the season" spot covered not sure we need Ings as well.
    Why not, he can play the other half.

    Quote Originally Posted by verlaine1979 View Post
    According to Transfermarkt he's played a total of 10.5 top level games over the past three full seasons. Would be an absolutely insane transfer for a position where we really need a reliable addition to the first XI.
    Hard to get in to the first team with Mane, Firmino and Salah ahead of you.

  38. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Hard to get in to the first team with Mane, Firmino and Salah ahead of you.
    True. But he's done his knee twice at Liverpool.

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    6,636

    Default

    Said on the Gunn thread , Starting to feel very positive now sounds like the owner is backing Hughes !

  40. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sunny Rownhams
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Some good stuff here

    https://www.premierleague.com/news/782993?sf193370103=1

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  41. #41

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,210

    Default

    On paper looking to be a sound summer of acquisitions so far, but as always the proof of the pudding is in the eating. As long as these guys have been signed with Sparkys input then I trust his judgement that him Mark and Eddie believe they have the minerals to get us back where we are use to being.
    Said it before, after the slagging that Hughes got from the Coates family (yeah right Lambert was a revelation, or revolution, for for them). There was a little piece that crept out, hidden away, in the media that Stoke or their director of football was in the spotlight, having piddled £50M+ on players that in reality Hughes only deemed worthy of sitting on the bench because he felt he must put them somewhere, this investment likewise Lambert struggled to integrate into the team and ultimately save their bacon.
    We shall see, but like others feeling optimistic.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post


    Hard to get in to the first team with Mane, Firmino and Salah ahead of you.
    So what? We had to listen to dinlows on this forum telling us Carillo was a good signing because it was not his fault he had Falcao ahead of him at his last club.

    Don't care. Just sign players that are first team regulars at the club we're buying him from. Simple rule.

  43. #43

    Default

    Still don't have a good striker. Thats the glaring area for improvement in the squad.

    None of the ones we have will get more than 10 goals.

  44. #44

    Default

    Happy with signings so far although still think that we need right back cover even if it's a youngish upcoming player or decent young championship player for backup to Soares.

    Strikers we need a target man up top someone similar to Pelle since we have lanky at the back can we bring in Peter Crouch up top to even it out? haha

    What about a cheeky bid for Edin Dzeko man is getting on a bit but reckon he could do a job.

    What about yann karamoh as a forward? were we once linked to him?

  45. #45

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Perth, in the land of Oz
    Posts
    5,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Happy with signings so far although still think that we need right back cover even if it's a youngish upcoming player or decent young championship player for backup to Soares.

    Strikers we need a target man up top someone similar to Pelle since we have lanky at the back can we bring in Peter Crouch up top to even it out? haha

    What about a cheeky bid for Edin Dzeko man is getting on a bit but reckon he could do a job.

    What about yann karamoh as a forward? were we once linked to him?
    Why spend money we don't need to, we have a young player, highly thought of, he is Yan Valery, age 19.

  46. #46

    Default

    Good shout bring him through i'd like to actually forget signing a striker and actually give Sam G a run out.

  47. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    9,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingeletiss View Post
    Why spend money we don't need to, we have a young player, highly thought of, he is Yan Valery, age 19.
    He’s never even played a first team game, it’s a bit much to be happy with him starting 6 in a row if Cédric gets injured.

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Perth, in the land of Oz
    Posts
    5,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    He’s never even played a first team game, it’s a bit much to be happy with him starting 6 in a row if Cédric gets injured.
    How does he get game time, if he is not given a game! they all have to start somewhere.

  49. #49

    Default

    If we can ship out the statue and replace him with that young Man City GK, and bring in a target man who can score, then I think it's been a very good window. Assuming that tall Danish defender does sign too.

  50. #50

    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Andrea Belotti would be decent. 34 million though last time I checked.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •