Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Angus Gunn

2 Sunday Football errors in two weeks means he deserves to be dropped and McCarthy brought in. This is what normally happens to outfield players in any league.

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    He isn't filling me with confidence the biggest thing yesterday seemed to be the total lack of communication between the keeper and the Defence. You can see CBs getting in his way becuase he hasn't put his name on a ball or worse leaving a ball becuase they expect him to come for it when he doesn't.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    He plays behind a different defence every game. Thereís no consistency or defined format.

Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    2 Sunday Football errors in two weeks means he deserves to be dropped and McCarthy brought in. This is what normally happens to outfield players in any league.
    What errors were they? (and Iíve played a lot of Sunday morning football in my time)

The calamity against Bournemouth was mainly due to Bednarek letting the ball bounce.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    He plays behind a different defence every game. Thereís no consistency or defined format.

To a point yes that's true but he must have played and trained with our CBs enough times to pick up some sort of understanding by now and Ralph has never wavered from his horrible zonal marking at set pieces.

It shouldnt really matter who's playing in front of him though they are all capable of speaking English enough to put a call out to let the others now what they are doing they are hardly a bunch of strangers playing for the first time.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

We all have our different opinions of course but on the one hand youíre saying that he stays on his line too much yet on the other you are blaming him for the first?
    well yes, if you go you must make it yours. The second you watch and you see he doesn't leave his line to cut the angle down soonenough. The 2nd I can forgive more but the first is the 2nd time in the last 2 games he has let us down

He plays behind a different defence every game. There’s no consistency or defined format.
    It's not different every game, but even assuming if it is then he's the one consistent, he should be the dominant one taking charge in every situation. Just not seeing that from him

I'd stick with Gunn and get a settled team in front of him. Valery, Yoshida, Danso, Bertrand. Stick with that for five games, no matter what, and see if there's any sign of improvement. Gunn isn't a bad 'keeper but he is young, will make mistakes and the current shower in defence is doing him no favours at all.

Think he looks like he is made of Emmental, first goal yesterday was just one of those things but he was well off his line looking to recreate Bournemouths 3rd, Yoshida was much faster at vainly hoping to hook it out, the Mount goal it seemed to just go through him like he was a hologram, the third was a kick in the guts all round, the fourth, being nutmegged through legs more open than a whores on a busy Saturday night.......................I think we have established beyond any doubt in the Premier League the standard of player you can pick up for between £15m-£20m is not going to have you knocking on the door of the Champions League, more likely stamping on the trapdoor to the Championship!

Cheer up - there's worse out there...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49959997

Blog Entries

Remember him getting his big break at Chelsea last season because Ralph thought he was better at coming off his line and mopping up play than McCarthy...

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Cheer up - there's worse out there...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/49959997
    Didn't Forster do something similar away at Palace a few years back?

Same excuses as per Forster from the people on this forum. Next we’ll be claiming he’s carrying a knock on his knee and isn’t fully fit.

McCarthy is superior in every single way, too many people on here over impressed with his designer stubble.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    I mean, that's total horse crap - he was terrific for Norwich on loan in the Championship two seasons ago and has represented England right through the age groups.

Sometimes there's a middle ground between being a good young player going through a difficult spell of form and being a non league no hoper who should learn another trade.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
    Iíve seen better shot-stoppers in the Wessex League.

What errors were they? (and I’ve played a lot of Sunday morning football in my time)

The calamity against Bournemouth was mainly due to Bednarek letting the ball bounce.[/QUOTE]

Sunday League football or any league football come to that, dictates that if a goalkeeper comes off his line to get the ball, he must get it!

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    Didn't Forster do something similar away at Palace a few years back?
    It was away to Villa, got injured doing it as well and never looked as good after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    It was away to Villa, got injured doing it as well and never looked as good after that.
    No it was definitely Palace I was thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkUpTczSplw

I don't remember the Villa one though.

16. Default

Fair enough, he did it against Villa as well (although apparently he didn't come off injured as there's no mention of it - must have been another keeper/incident where they got injured as well).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30077226

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    The swing and a miss was against Palace for a goal that Benteke had no chance whatsoever of missing for a change.
    You are right to think it was against Villa as Forster had a similar brain fart in that game too. The ball was heading towards him with acres of space he hesitated then decided to depart the safety of his line to get the ball, trouble was the player in pursuit of the ball, despite both him and his legs heading into the twilight of their career, was Gabbi Agbonlahor, probably one of the most rapid players across a football pitch that many of us have ever seen in his heyday! He switched his legs on got to the ball first, rounded Forster 1-0 to the Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    Sunday League football or any league football come to that, dictates that if a goalkeeper comes off his line to get the ball, he must get it!
    If he comes out expecting to catch a ball headed back to him and Bednarek just leaves it the who’s at fault?

There’s another fundamental rule for a centre back: don’t let the ball bounce.

If he comes out expecting to catch a ball headed back to him and Bednarek just leaves it the who’s at fault?

There’s another fundamental rule for a centre back: don’t let the ball bounce.
    If he was expecting Bednarek to head it back to him then why on earth would he decide to rush right out to the edge of his box like that? If a keeper comes that far off his line, he has to be absolutely confident of getting the ball.

I do take your point about not letting the ball bounce though. It was a terrible miscommunication between the two players, and the fault lies equally with them both.

Still absolutely no idea why he went for that with his left foot.

Reminds me of a young Tim Flowers who made plenty of mistakes and struggled to replace the ageing Burridge early in his Saints career. Flowers was a great shot stopper and never came out for crosses early on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fookwit View Post
    Reminds me of a young Tim Flowers who made plenty of mistakes and struggled to replace the ageing Burridge early in his Saints career. Flowers was a great shot stopper and never came out for crosses early on.
    I hope you are right. I'm not seeing anything special

Quote Originally Posted by Fookwit View Post
    Got to say I don't recall Tim Flowers being particularly mistake ridden, although it is a fair time ago now of course, so maybe the memory is letting me down. I seem to recall at one point some questioning why Chris Nicholl was persevering with Burridge when Flowers was waiting in the wings. In hindsight CN was probably protecting Flowers.

Burridge on his day though was a good GK, probably better than we have now, but would probably be deemed too short in the current game by many although his agility often made up for it.

Hope Gunn reaches the standard of Tim Flowers, but like Ohio I've yet to see it. TF was regarded as an exceptional prospect outside of Southampton from an early stage.

Maybe we need someone one the coaching team who used to be a goalkeeper?

He’s like many of the keepers that come to the club.
    Start off well and then they get worse.
    Thats got to be the coaching surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Saint View Post
    I hope you are right. I'm not seeing anything special
    If we're going for comparisons from that era then he's probably more like Ian Andrews than Tim Flowers at the moment.