Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Angus Gunn

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Should be playing for us IMO. McCarthy hasn't been great this season, and his kicking is not good enough.
    With you on this.

Our only clean sheet under Ralph came when Gunn played.

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    He'll probably be back there next season.

Pointless, pointless signing.
    How so? We need two decent keepers and FF isn't in the picture. Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem is that we haven't been able to offload FF.

Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    How so? We need two decent keepers and FF isn't in the picture. Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem is that we haven't been able to offload FF.
    We needed an attacking based player way more than we needed a second choice goalkeeper. FF is on massive money, he could have easily just sat on the bench this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    We needed an attacking based player way more than we needed a second choice goalkeeper. FF is on massive money, he could have easily just sat on the bench this season.
    Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.
    You mean like he did in the FA Cup last season?

While Forster being second choice isn't ideal, he's still an experienced goalkeeper. It was madness for us to pay out £14m on a second choice goalkeeper before we shipped Forster out. It's also madness that Shane Long is our second choice striker. The money we used to buy Gunn should have been used to fund another forward to keep ****e like Shane Long away from the first team.

Well who knows, McCarthy may have saved one of those Derby shoot out spot kicks. IIRC Gunn didn't get anywhere near any of them.

Would you have rather we had we signed a good attacker or striker that actually made the first team and have ff on the bench or have gunn sitting on the bench with no decent attacker, like we have ?

Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Well who knows, McCarthy may have saved one of those Derby shoot out spot kicks. IIRC Gunn didn't get anywhere near any of them.
    you mean the same McCarthy who just stood there and made no effort when facing penalties against Brighton and Burnley?

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    you mean the same McCarthy who just stood there and made no effort when facing penalties against Brighton and Burnley?
    I remember him going the wrong way for the Brighton penalty so "stood there making no effort" doesn't seem to fit really.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    you mean gambled on the player whacking it down the middle?

Forster should be in the squad
    Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended
    since Koeman left any keeper would have struggled.
    In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.
    McCarthy has cost us more points this year than Forster did under Puel

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Would you have rather we had we signed a good attacker or striker that actually made the first team and have ff on the bench or have gunn sitting on the bench with no decent attacker, like we have ?
    Silly question. I would not want FF as our back up keeper under any circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat Controller View Post
    Everyone blames him on poor form but they way weíve defended
    In all honesty I donít have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.
    That's just not true. I think McCarthy is a pretty average keeper and Gunn's ceiling is miles above his, but he's far from the liability Forster became.

Yes, Frasier was exposed by a weaker defence - but exposed as not being very good at goalkeeping when more frequently called upon to do something.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Fat Controller View Post
    Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended
    In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.
    The problem is the longer Dave Watson coaches them, the worse they all get.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    The problem is the longer Dave Watson coaches them, the worse they all get.
    A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....
    He should have gone in clear out.

Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....
    I hope their will be some changes to the coaching set up in the summer.

Surely Ralph will be allowed to bring in better? And presumably the new DoF will have an input.

I know a goalkeeper coach who has worked in academies. He said "Gunn will be one of the best keepers in the Premier League if Watson doesn't ruin him."

Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    I hope their will be some changes to the coaching set up in the summer.

Surely Ralph will be allowed to bring in better? And presumably the new DoF will have an input.
    Got the impression Watson was a Reed appointment, and protected by him thereafter. Still as Les has gone perhaps the greater clear out will happen.

19. Default Scotland look to swoop for Southampton goalkeeper Angus Gunn

Great, another one of our best players sold cheaply. Thanks Les.

To be honest I don't think Gunn is ready to play for England yet, squad maybe. I'd go for Heaton as number 1 at this point in time even after the errors this weekend.

Gunn will be getting an England call up on Thursday, and not the only saints player

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    Gunn will be getting an England call up on Thursday, and not the only saints player
    Good for them.

(That's until they start getting tapped up by Liverpool players).

Also Watson and Forster hate each other.

25. Default

Stephens?

26. Default

Crikey, when did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Stephens?
    jwp

If Gunn's in, should also have Redmond and Ward-Prowse. Instead of Redmond we'll likely get true leg-ends like Young and Delph though.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Personally I'd rather none of our lot where near the England (or any international squad for that matter) at the moment. It would just be our luck to pick up an injury to an important player at vital time of the season while they where playing for their country. I'd rather they where with Ralph getting more training in the ways of Ralphball than being coached by Southgate and co. Also any time a Saints players seems to get into the England set up it usually seems to go badly for us.....

I thought they were best mates? Is Watson the problem or is Forster being pain?

And LeG one final question, as you and a few others are ITK, hows the atmosphere on the training ground?

Can confirm this. David has tried to get shot of him on numerous occasions, but no-one will take him because he is so expensive. He will sit on the side until his contract expires or someone pays stupid money (and lets be honest, who would do that?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Can confirm this. David has tried to get shot of him on numerous occasions, but no-one will take him because he is so expensive. He will sit on the side until his contract expires or someone pays stupid money (and lets be honest, who would do that?)
    he is basically our version of Jack Rodwell that Sunderland had to endure.

Be shocked if this happens, Tim Dittmer is a BIG fan and has been a big part of Angus's development over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    he is basically our version of Jack Rodwell that Sunderland had to endure.
    its Tommy Forecast all over again

35. Default

Rodwell was offered other clubs but turned them down IIRC , Forster ? I think I would sit tight if I was him rather than fail at another club and end up on the Dole !!!!

[QUOTE=East Kent Saint;2720311]Rodwell was offered other clubs but turned them down IIRC , Forster ? I think I would sit tight if I was him rather than fail at another club and end up on the Dole !!!![/QUOTE]

No bloody sympathy if he ends up there.

37. Default

You've let me down, LeG!

38. Default

Double wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    You've let me down, LeG!
    Blimey. Got a few wrong lately. Apologies.

The Watson falling out is 100%.

My source has changed.

LOL

Shame for Ward-Prowse. Must be gutting seeing Delph in there and not him... Not sure why we need 10 defenders either (of which three are left backs)... Loftus-Cheek will be hoping to use his match sharpness on the international stage too (last time he played a full league game was the start of December)...!

I took plenty of positives (and negatives!) from today’s loss at Burnley but am I imagining it or does Angus not actually stop much.

Is he really the best we have!

I can remember thinking the same at the back end of last season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester Red View Post
    I took plenty of positives (and negatives!) from today’s loss at Burnley but am I imagining it or does Angus not actually stop much.

Is he really the best we have!

I can remember thinking the same at the back end of last season too.
    No. Mccarthy is better imo. How he didn't save the 3rd is beyond me. He made 1 save ffs.

Not much between our 3 very poor goalkeepers imo.

was never convinced Gunn was better than McCarthy

was never convinced McCarthy was better than Gunn

not convinced Forster is better their either

not convinced either are better than Forster

so, umm...our goalkeeping in a nutshell? not very convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTex View Post
    was never convinced Gunn was better than McCarthy

was never convinced McCarthy was better than Gunn

not convinced Forster is better their either

not convinced either are better than Forster

so, umm...our goalkeeping in a nutshell? not very convincing.
    I'm convinced that you've convinced me. I think.

Thought Gunn should have done a lot better with the 1st and 3rd today. The first was hit hard from about 15 yards, but was straight at him and went through his legs. the 3rd I thought his positioning was poor. Macca is a better keeper.

Gunn could have done better today but HTF does the club end up with three keepers on those wages and contracts at the same time? Especially when one of the them was given a contract extension after having an appalling season. Something not right about that. In any normal football club, the DoF would have had the sack years ago.

McCarthy should be our number 1. Superb 2 seasons ago and harshly dropped last seqskn.

Iíve just watched MOTD and the was nothing that Gunn could have done about any of those goals. They were hammered past him at close range. Some of you have unrealistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Iíve just watched MOTD and the was nothing that Gunn could have done about any of those goals. They were hammered past him at close range. Some of you have unrealistic expectations.
    Seriously? He should have saved the 3rd, and a better keeper would have kept out the 1st. I'm with you on the 2nd.