Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

That's how I saw it. At the match it appeared the first squirmed through him.

The first? Please see my other response just above.

The second was well out of his reach, at least two feet. The scorer was allowed to get right up close before lifting the ball into the far corner.

Our problems lie just in front of him and are much more serious.

Let's hope that this new GK coach can make an impact over the coming months, as yes, it does seem to me that we've made every goalkeeper we purchased a lot worse over time. Picking up bad habbits, poor positional sense. Not technical parts of the game as such, more parts which would have been influenced by coaching.

Step forward Dave Watson.

Straight between his legs with his weight evenly spread. Not many would have stopped that.

I expect Niemi in his prime might have made a better attempt at it. We'll have to agree to differ over that goal then.

The first? Please see my other response just above.

The second was well out of his reach, at least two feet. The scorer was allowed to get right up close before lifting the ball into the far corner.

Our problems lie just in front of him and are much more serious.

I didn't comment on the 2nd goal, and wouldn't apportion blame on the GK for that, he was left woefully exposed By Vestergaard and Bertrand who appeared daydreaming as the bloke went between them.

Totally agree about the issues in front of him. That said the GK situation doesn't fill me with confidence.

Straight between his legs with his weight evenly spread. Not many would have stopped that.

it was straight at him about 18 yards out. He was not unsighted

any shot from that distance straight at a premier league (international) keeper should be saved.

We conceded 65 goals last season..........3 so far and like many that have said before ,if we dont have a strong well organised defencesive structure in front the last line of defence is the goalie.

We were lucky in the first few seasons with Fraser cause we had a decent defence and defensive midfielders who know how to defend and organise themselves.

One of our biggest missing links is no strong leadership on the fieild .We are just too nice and easy to beat, thats not just a goalkeeping trait its the whole structure of the team.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a good game today, so it's probably harsh to be critical but what the hell. Much as I like a lot about him I find his footwork a bit concerning.

It's been nagging at me since the 3-2 defeat at United last season. Pereira scored a nice 20 yarder, but it didn't go in the top corner, yet Gunny's full dive went nowhere near it. He just sort of flopped over. I'd noticed he had a bad habit of jumping up just before the ball is struck, meaning he can't actually react with a dive until he's landed again, which could be too late, and thought that the resultant lack of sideways momentum was why he couldn't dive very far - instead of taking a quick step or two to the side and then launching, he was just landing flat on both feet and then trying to spring from a standing start.

But today, for James' goal (and in fairness for a solid save Gunn made from Greenwood) he pushes off from the wrong foot. To dive left, he doesn't use his left leg at all - he uses his right, and vice versa when diving to the right. The net result is a complete lack of spring from his starting position: he really goes nowhere beyond his normal reach (which is pretty substantial, as he's a big lad).

It's been a long time since I kept nets and maybe the fundamentals of goalkeeping have been completely rewritten and I'm full of crap, but surely pushing off from the wrong foot when diving isn't the new and improved way.

Not that he could've done much to stop United's goal today, I just thought it was a curious thing.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Played 19

Shots on target 64

Conceded 35

Avg SOT per game 3.3

Avg goals conceded per game 1.8

Shots/Goals ratio 1.82 shots per goal

In 2 of his games, he faced one shot on target all match. In 2 others, he faced 2 and conceded 1. In others he’s faced 3-4 shots on target and conceded three times.

Edited by Crab Lungs

Gunn isn't the problem. Neither is he the solution. It's down to organisation, or lack of, and that I'm afraid is down to the management (team). The whole defensive set up from the midfield back is a shambles. Gunn's calamity today was down to awful play by Ward Prowse.

what about the howlers in the last 2 games before today?

Gunn isn't the problem. Neither is he the solution. It's down to organisation, or lack of, and that I'm afraid is down to the management (team). The whole defensive set up from the midfield back is a shambles. Gunn's calamity today was down to awful play by Ward Prowse.

It wasn’t great by jwp but he lost it in their half.

The calamity was gunn’s.

McCarthy should be first choice in my book.

I fully understand RH experimenting with Gunn after McCarthy conceded a soft goal at Huddersfield last season, but McCarthy has built up some 'credits' in my view following his performances at the end of the Hughes season. McCarthy made some vital saves and memorable ones from time to time (Everton away, and Bournemouth home spring to mind). I've yet to see anything memorable from Gunn in the same league, his 'belly flops' in the penalty shoot out v Derby last season left you wondering if an outfield player had been forced to take over in goal for some reason.

Is Gunn now the third GK to have gone backwards under our GK coaches in a row ?

Looking at the first goal again, he should have grabbed the ball even if he would have got a kick. 100% his. Too many times today, he was doing a Fraser and sticking on his line, when he should be calling and commanding the back line. Wonder whether its not time for a change.

Gunn wasn’t the reason we lost today. I don’t know what game you were all watching.

He had no chance with any of the goals, made one good save with his leg and held on to everything else that was fired at him.

Are you saying he wasn’t at fault for the first? He either should have stayed back or cleared out all and sundry. He gave Abraham the chance to lift it.

For the 2nd he should have come out and closed down a bit more.

Are you saying he wasn’t at fault for the first? He either should have stayed back or cleared out all and sundry. He gave Abraham the chance to lift it.

For the 2nd he should have come out and closed down a bit more.

It would probably have made no difference. He came out as far as he could and you might argue that he should have stayed back in goal but then Abrahams could just have slotted it past him. The indecision came because the ball landed on the edge of the penalty area and Abraham’s got lucky with the lob. On balance of probable outcomes he probably made the right decision to come out. All told it was a bit of a fluke.

For the second he was horribly exposed and I don’t see what more he could have done.

We were comfortably beaten by a team who didn’t have to break into a sweat.

You need to watch the 1st goal. And from where I was sat, he stays on his line too much too often. But you are right, its not the reason we lost today.

We all have our different opinions of course but on the one hand you’re saying that he stays on his line too much yet on the other you are blaming him for the first?

Needs to be taken out of the firing line IMO, give McCarthy a go, and make Gunn earn his spot back. He’s a kid, and learning. Only thing I would say is it can’t be the keepers fault all the time, maybe it’s something to do with the dreadful defence he’s playing behind. Chelsea could have had 6 or 7 today.

Edited by Saint Garrett

He is garbage. Awful decision making coming off his line led to a goal (similar to Bournemouth). He also has the uncanny ability of letting the ball go through him.

If his old man wasn’t a former Premier League keeper with contacts, his son would be lucky to get a game in the Wessex League. And we paid £11m for him, what a joke.

If his old man wasn’t a former Premier League keeper with contacts, his son would be lucky to get a game in the Wessex League.

I mean, that's total horse crap - he was terrific for Norwich on loan in the Championship two seasons ago and has represented England right through the age groups.

Sometimes there's a middle ground between being a good young player going through a difficult spell of form and being a non league no hoper who should learn another trade.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

He isn't filling me with confidence the biggest thing yesterday seemed to be the total lack of communication between the keeper and the Defence. You can see CBs getting in his way becuase he hasn't put his name on a ball or worse leaving a ball becuase they expect him to come for it when he doesn't.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

He isn't filling me with confidence the biggest thing yesterday seemed to be the total lack of communication between the keeper and the Defence. You can see CBs getting in his way becuase he hasn't put his name on a ball or worse leaving a ball becuase they expect him to come for it when he doesn't.

He plays behind a different defence every game. There’s no consistency or defined format.

2 Sunday Football errors in two weeks means he deserves to be dropped and McCarthy brought in. This is what normally happens to outfield players in any league.

What errors were they? (and I’ve played a lot of Sunday morning football in my time)

The calamity against Bournemouth was mainly due to Bednarek letting the ball bounce.

He plays behind a different defence every game. There’s no consistency or defined format.

To a point yes that's true but he must have played and trained with our CBs enough times to pick up some sort of understanding by now and Ralph has never wavered from his horrible zonal marking at set pieces.

It shouldnt really matter who's playing in front of him though they are all capable of speaking English enough to put a call out to let the others now what they are doing they are hardly a bunch of strangers playing for the first time.

We all have our different opinions of course but on the one hand you’re saying that he stays on his line too much yet on the other you are blaming him for the first?
well yes, if you go you must make it yours. The second you watch and you see he doesn't leave his line to cut the angle down soonenough. The 2nd I can forgive more but the first is the 2nd time in the last 2 games he has let us down

It's not different every game, but even assuming if it is then he's the one consistent, he should be the dominant one taking charge in every situation. Just not seeing that from him

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich