Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

Good news, hope he gets some game time soon.

Just to note -

Watson seems to get a lot stick on here for some reason, but clearly is still well respected by players.

Remember, the official forum genius line is that Forster's decline is entirely down to Dave Watson. And McCarthy's huge improvement culminating in the best season of his career is absolutely nothing to do with Dave Watson whatsoever.

Don't think FF will be going anywhere and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to pick up his millions and millions sitting up in the stands each week. I reckon he's more than comfortable with that. Plenty of teams would want him (Championship or poorer foreign leagues) but no team will be able to match his wages or pay us a decent fee.

Think we're stuck with him.

Hope this Gunn fella is alright, but hands off McCarthy's number 1 spot for now kiddo. Macca is our hero of the hour.

Looks good, just a tad worried because his middle name is Fraser. Just hope Watson doesn't influence him too much. Hopefully Desparate Dan on his way. Where does this leave Harry Lewis?

Dave Watson allegedly said he would stay at Saints as long as Fraser stayed with us when there were rumours about the inventors of the dug outs were sniffing aground him. With Sparky in the big chair, you would imagine that Eddie is going to be watching and knowledgeable about what’s going on between the sticks

Quality signing for me. We've gone back to the policy in our first years in the prem. Signing promising players who are at the top of the rung below.

Very interesting that this is after the rumoured reduction in powers for our previous transfer guru.

Sounds like he’s got his head screwed on right in his interview on the official site, although the experts on here will scoff at his suggestion that training with Dave Watson is a big draw. What does he know - he’s only a kid.

COYR

I assume he worked with Watson in some capacity when he was still part of the England set up.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quality signing for me. We've gone back to the policy in our first years in the prem. Signing promising players who are at the top of the rung below.

Very interesting that this is after the rumoured reduction in powers for our previous transfer guru.

You mean... the guy who masterminded the original policy of signing top players from the rung below? Don’t fool yourself with the fact that they’ve decided it’s best not to put Les in front of the cameras anymore. He’s as much behind this policy now as when he drove a similar policy a few years ago, and the shift of policy in between which didn’t quite work out.

I assume he worked with Watson in some capacity when he was still part of the England set up.

Yeah. From what I hear Watson is a big fan of his and was the difference between him joining us at another side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dave Watson allegedly said he would stay at Saints as long as Fraser stayed with us when there were rumours about the inventors of the dug outs were sniffing aground him. With Sparky in the big chair, you would imagine that Eddie is going to be watching and knowledgeable about what’s going on between the sticks

But isn't it traditional at Saints that ex-keepers get to become one of our goalkeeper coaches? So don't be surprised if FF becomes assistant to Watson.

But isn't it traditional at Saints that ex-keepers get to become one of our goalkeeper coaches? So don't be surprised if FF becomes assistant to Watson.
I think it's more traditional that fully fit 30-year old goalkeepers tend to continue being a goalkeeper for four or five or six more seasons before they even think about coaching.

Bizarre.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I am wondering who might become our Nº1 & 2. McCarthy is better than FF at present (given that FF is suffering a lack of confidence), so when he took over last season, it seemed like he was brilliant. But is he? He is certainly more competent but is he a really good keeper? He let in lots of goals, even with a defence short on confidence. Gunn is still young, and we aren't the sort of club to splurge £15m on a reserve keeper, even if we have give McCarthy an extension.

Now I am wondering who might become our Nº1 & 2. McCarthy is better than FF at present (given that FF is suffering a lack of confidence), so when he took over last season, it seemed like he was brilliant. But is he? He is certainly more competent but is he a really good keeper? He let in lots of goals, even with a defence short on confidence. Gunn is still young, and we aren't the sort of club to splurge £15m on a reserve keeper, even if we have give McCarthy an extension.

I think for now McCarthy's end of last season form (he pulled off some excellent saves to secures us vital points last season) gives him the No1 spot but he now has proper competition and if his form drops off we shouldn't have any compunction about giving Gunn the jersey instead.

From what I've seen previously, he's not spectacular, but he's extremely competent: he saves the ones you'd expect your keeper to save, and does everything calmly, without much fuss.

Reminds me a little of Van Der Sar. Very reliable. He won't let us down - and who knows how good he might become in time.

You could argue, with cash being tight, that we had greater priorities to address than goalkeeper this summer, but long term I think Gunn will prove a cracking investment.

• 2 weeks later...
Here’s a Telegraph bit on Gunn. McLeish has been trying to sign him up for the Scotland team...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/08/11/angus-gunn-joined-southampton-following-dad-bryans-footsteps/amp/

Thanks for the link.

"Dave is a very old-school goalkeeping coach who just says to keep the ball out of the net" is very telling and shows IMHO why FF has turned to sh1t, when more modern coaches develop all aspects of the keeper and make them more of a "sweeper keeper". Just hope good 'ol Dave doesn't rub his magic on our two up and coming keepers!

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if any part of Gunn is kicking himself for leaving city?

obviously, he would not have known what would happen to Bravo.......

No, the lure of working with Dave Watson would still have been too great...

From the Telegraph article:

"The English presence was one of the primary attractions when Gunn was considering his options this summer. The 22-year-old will be working closely with Dave Watson, the goalkeeping coach who used to coach the goalkeepers in the England senior team. Watson’s encouragement, alongside Mark Hughes, was key in convincing Gunn to make the journey south."

• 5 months later...

Not that I blame him for wishing he was back at Norwich, but has anyone else noticed the extent that he is all over them on Twitter? I think we get a few cursory mentions, but he's constantly banging on about Norwich FC and all his mates there. Most recently, attending their game v Ipswich yesterday. I can see the attraction, and he is a local lad, but it's a surprise that someone at Saints hasn't has a word.

Hopefully not. Although concerned he's not getting what he expected at Saints.

Well he's getting exactly whay I expected him to get..the number 2 keeper's place, same as he had at City.

if he wanted first team football he should have been looking for a club that actually needed a number 1 keeper, Fulham for instance.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich