Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 151 to 168 of 168

Thread: Angus Gunn

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Garrett View Post
    Should be playing for us IMO. McCarthy hasn't been great this season, and his kicking is not good enough.
    With you on this.

    Our only clean sheet under Ralph came when Gunn played.

  2. #152

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dining room table
    Posts
    12,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    He'll probably be back there next season.

    Pointless, pointless signing.
    How so? We need two decent keepers and FF isn't in the picture. Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem is that we haven't been able to offload FF.

  3. #153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    How so? We need two decent keepers and FF isn't in the picture. Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem is that we haven't been able to offload FF.
    We needed an attacking based player way more than we needed a second choice goalkeeper. FF is on massive money, he could have easily just sat on the bench this season.

  4. #154

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    2,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saints foreva View Post
    We needed an attacking based player way more than we needed a second choice goalkeeper. FF is on massive money, he could have easily just sat on the bench this season.
    Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.

  5. #155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.
    You mean like he did in the FA Cup last season?

    While Forster being second choice isn't ideal, he's still an experienced goalkeeper. It was madness for us to pay out £14m on a second choice goalkeeper before we shipped Forster out. It's also madness that Shane Long is our second choice striker. The money we used to buy Gunn should have been used to fund another forward to keep ****e like Shane Long away from the first team.

  6. #156

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    30,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.
    Well who knows, McCarthy may have saved one of those Derby shoot out spot kicks. IIRC Gunn didn't get anywhere near any of them.

  7. #157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.
    Would you have rather we had we signed a good attacker or striker that actually made the first team and have ff on the bench or have gunn sitting on the bench with no decent attacker, like we have ?

  8. #158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Well who knows, McCarthy may have saved one of those Derby shoot out spot kicks. IIRC Gunn didn't get anywhere near any of them.
    you mean the same McCarthy who just stood there and made no effort when facing penalties against Brighton and Burnley?

  9. #159

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    hiding in shadows where I don't belong
    Posts
    30,691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    you mean the same McCarthy who just stood there and made no effort when facing penalties against Brighton and Burnley?
    I remember him going the wrong way for the Brighton penalty so "stood there making no effort" doesn't seem to fit really.

  10. #160

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    26,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    you mean the same McCarthy who just stood there and made no effort when facing penalties against Brighton and Burnley?
    you mean gambled on the player whacking it down the middle?

  11. #161

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Aldbourne, Wilts
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Forster should be in the squad
    Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended
    since Koeman left any keeper would have struggled.
    In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.
    McCarthy has cost us more points this year than Forster did under Puel

  12. #162

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In the doghouse...again
    Posts
    2,568

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    Would you have rather we had we signed a good attacker or striker that actually made the first team and have ff on the bench or have gunn sitting on the bench with no decent attacker, like we have ?
    Silly question. I would not want FF as our back up keeper under any circumstances.

  13. #163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fat Controller View Post
    Forster should be in the squad
    Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended
    since Koeman left any keeper would have struggled.
    In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.
    McCarthy has cost us more points this year than Forster did under Puel
    That's just not true. I think McCarthy is a pretty average keeper and Gunn's ceiling is miles above his, but he's far from the liability Forster became.

    Yes, Frasier was exposed by a weaker defence - but exposed as not being very good at goalkeeping when more frequently called upon to do something.

    Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

  14. #164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fat Controller View Post
    Forster should be in the squad
    Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended
    since Koeman left any keeper would have struggled.
    In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.
    McCarthy has cost us more points this year than Forster did under Puel
    The problem is the longer Dave Watson coaches them, the worse they all get.

  15. #165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    The problem is the longer Dave Watson coaches them, the worse they all get.
    A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....
    He should have gone in clear out.

  16. #166

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winchester
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....
    He should have gone in clear out.
    I hope their will be some changes to the coaching set up in the summer.

    Surely Ralph will be allowed to bring in better? And presumably the new DoF will have an input.

  17. #167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....
    He should have gone in clear out.
    I know a goalkeeper coach who has worked in academies. He said "Gunn will be one of the best keepers in the Premier League if Watson doesn't ruin him."

  18. #168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainchris View Post
    A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....
    He should have gone in clear out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhari View Post
    I hope their will be some changes to the coaching set up in the summer.

    Surely Ralph will be allowed to bring in better? And presumably the new DoF will have an input.
    Got the impression Watson was a Reed appointment, and protected by him thereafter. Still as Les has gone perhaps the greater clear out will happen.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •