Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

How so? We need two decent keepers and FF isn't in the picture. Makes perfect sense to me. The only problem is that we haven't been able to offload FF.

We needed an attacking based player way more than we needed a second choice goalkeeper. FF is on massive money, he could have easily just sat on the bench this season.

We needed an attacking based player way more than we needed a second choice goalkeeper. FF is on massive money, he could have easily just sat on the bench this season.

Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.

Err, so you'd have had Mccarthy playing all cup games too, with FF on the bench? What would have happened if/when McCarthy got injured - would you really be OK with FF stepping up? I wouldn't.

You mean like he did in the FA Cup last season?

While Forster being second choice isn't ideal, he's still an experienced goalkeeper. It was madness for us to pay out £14m on a second choice goalkeeper before we shipped Forster out. It's also madness that Shane Long is our second choice striker. The money we used to buy Gunn should have been used to fund another forward to keep ****e like Shane Long away from the first team.

Well who knows, McCarthy may have saved one of those Derby shoot out spot kicks. IIRC Gunn didn't get anywhere near any of them.

Would you have rather we had we signed a good attacker or striker that actually made the first team and have ff on the bench or have gunn sitting on the bench with no decent attacker, like we have ?

Would you have rather we had we signed a good attacker or striker that actually made the first team and have ff on the bench or have gunn sitting on the bench with no decent attacker, like we have ?

Silly question. I would not want FF as our back up keeper under any circumstances.

Forster should be in the squad

Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended

since Koeman left any keeper would have struggled.

In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.

McCarthy has cost us more points this year than Forster did under Puel

That's just not true. I think McCarthy is a pretty average keeper and Gunn's ceiling is miles above his, but he's far from the liability Forster became.

Yes, Frasier was exposed by a weaker defence - but exposed as not being very good at goalkeeping when more frequently called upon to do something.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Forster should be in the squad

Everyone blames him on poor form but they way we’ve defended

since Koeman left any keeper would have struggled.

In all honesty I don’t have any confidence in McArthy, and would like Gunn in goal with FF as back up.

McCarthy has cost us more points this year than Forster did under Puel

The problem is the longer Dave Watson coaches them, the worse they all get.

A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....

He should have gone in clear out.

I hope their will be some changes to the coaching set up in the summer.

Surely Ralph will be allowed to bring in better? And presumably the new DoF will have an input.

A good point. I think most of us can see that Watson has has a negative effect on all our goalkeepers. Doesn’t he do of the defensive coaching too which is also dire....

I know a goalkeeper coach who has worked in academies. He said "Gunn will be one of the best keepers in the Premier League if Watson doesn't ruin him."

I hope their will be some changes to the coaching set up in the summer.

Surely Ralph will be allowed to bring in better? And presumably the new DoF will have an input.

Got the impression Watson was a Reed appointment, and protected by him thereafter. Still as Les has gone perhaps the greater clear out will happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I'd rather none of our lot where near the England (or any international squad for that matter) at the moment. It would just be our luck to pick up an injury to an important player at vital time of the season while they where playing for their country. I'd rather they where with Ralph getting more training in the ways of Ralphball than being coached by Southgate and co. Also any time a Saints players seems to get into the England set up it usually seems to go badly for us.....

Also Watson and Forster hate each other.

Can confirm this. David has tried to get shot of him on numerous occasions, but no-one will take him because he is so expensive. He will sit on the side until his contract expires or someone pays stupid money (and lets be honest, who would do that?)

Can confirm this. David has tried to get shot of him on numerous occasions, but no-one will take him because he is so expensive. He will sit on the side until his contract expires or someone pays stupid money (and lets be honest, who would do that?)

he is basically our version of Jack Rodwell that Sunderland had to endure.

Gunn will be getting an England call up on Thursday, and not the only saints player :)

LOL

Shame for Ward-Prowse. Must be gutting seeing Delph in there and not him... Not sure why we need 10 defenders either (of which three are left backs)... Loftus-Cheek will be hoping to use his match sharpness on the international stage too (last time he played a full league game was the start of December)...!

• 4 months later...
I took plenty of positives (and negatives!) from today’s loss at Burnley but am I imagining it or does Angus not actually stop much.

Is he really the best we have!

I can remember thinking the same at the back end of last season too.

No. Mccarthy is better imo. How he didn't save the 3rd is beyond me. He made 1 save ffs.

was never convinced Gunn was better than McCarthy

was never convinced McCarthy was better than Gunn

not convinced Forster is better their either

not convinced either are better than Forster

so, umm...our goalkeeping in a nutshell? not very convincing.

was never convinced Gunn was better than McCarthy

was never convinced McCarthy was better than Gunn

not convinced Forster is better their either

so, umm...our goalkeeping in a nutshell? not very convincing.

I'm convinced that you've convinced me. I think.

Thought Gunn should have done a lot better with the 1st and 3rd today. The first was hit hard from about 15 yards, but was straight at him and went through his legs. the 3rd I thought his positioning was poor. Macca is a better keeper.

Gunn could have done better today but HTF does the club end up with three keepers on those wages and contracts at the same time? Especially when one of the them was given a contract extension after having an appalling season. Something not right about that. In any normal football club, the DoF would have had the sack years ago.

I’ve just watched MOTD and the was nothing that Gunn could have done about any of those goals. They were hammered past him at close range. Some of you have unrealistic expectations.

Seriously? He should have saved the 3rd, and a better keeper would have kept out the 1st. I'm with you on the 2nd.

I've yet to see anything in Gunn to support the view that's he's as good a prospect as Les Reed believed he was ( "he must be good if he's on City's books" ).

Admittedly I didn't see his debut at Chelsea where he was praised by some on here, but from the games I've seen he's looked pretty average overall. In the last two league games Huddersfield and today he's cost us. FF would have been crucified for these performances.

In the words of McEnroe, you cannot be serious...

McCarthy on form is the safer option and should be back asap.

His debut at Chelsea was his best game for us, his shot stopping was excellent, he parried shots into safe areas and was very quick off his line that night but he’s been on a slippery slope ever since. Much like the 3 in front of him I feel he is prone to a howler or lapse in concentration.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich