Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Angus Gunn

Nice one. Good signing

Welcome aboard

Welcome, Angus!

Great signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Looks good, just a tad worried because his middle name is Fraser. Just hope Watson doesn't influence him too much. Hopefully Desparate Dan on his way. Where does this leave Harry Lewis?

Gotta be the end for FF. whoever signs him, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Good news, hope he gets some game time soon.

Just to note -

Watson seems to get a lot stick on here for some reason, but clearly is still well respected by players.
    Remember, the official forum genius line is that Forster's decline is entirely down to Dave Watson. And McCarthy's huge improvement culminating in the best season of his career is absolutely nothing to do with Dave Watson whatsoever.

Great signing, let's see who our keeper is come May next year.

Don't think FF will be going anywhere and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to pick up his millions and millions sitting up in the stands each week. I reckon he's more than comfortable with that. Plenty of teams would want him (Championship or poorer foreign leagues) but no team will be able to match his wages or pay us a decent fee.

Think we're stuck with him.

Hope this Gunn fella is alright, but hands off McCarthy's number 1 spot for now kiddo. Macca is our hero of the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Nice one. Good signing
    Yes I agree but I am interested in what happens to McCarthy Forster Lewis and Rose

Proper competition for the GK spot at last. Something weve lacked since returning to the PL.

One will be u23 keeper Rose? Lewis out on loan again . Forster to ......somewhere abroad out of spotlight do Leganes need anyone?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Very good signing. He was excellent for Norwich last season.

Great news - genuine competition for the number 1 spot can only be a good thing.

Great signing. Will.be interesting to see how the battle for the no 1 spot plays out with McCarthy.

Great signing, he is going to be a top keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by K,Billy's supersound View Post
    Finally its all done looks a promising signing well done saints. Yannick nearly all signed up too. What do we need next guys?
    Right back, winger for Boufal and a Striker who can hold up the ball unless Gallagher steps up.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Looks good, just a tad worried because his middle name is Fraser. Just hope Watson doesn't influence him too much. Hopefully Desparate Dan on his way. Where does this leave Harry Lewis?
    Dave Watson allegedly said he would stay at Saints as long as Fraser stayed with us when there were rumours about the inventors of the dug outs were sniffing aground him. With Sparky in the big chair, you would imagine that Eddie is going to be watching and knowledgeable about what’s going on between the sticks

Blog Entries

Quality signing for me. We've gone back to the policy in our first years in the prem. Signing promising players who are at the top of the rung below.

Very interesting that this is after the rumoured reduction in powers for our previous transfer guru.

Sounds like he’s got his head screwed on right in his interview on the official site, although the experts on here will scoff at his suggestion that training with Dave Watson is a big draw. What does he know - he’s only a kid.
    COYR

Quote Originally Posted by LaptopSaint View Post
    Sounds like hes got his head screwed on right in his interview on the official site, although the experts on here will scoff at his suggestion that training with Dave Watson is a big draw. What does he know - hes only a kid.
    COYR
    I assume he worked with Watson in some capacity when he was still part of the England set up.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    Quality signing for me. We've gone back to the policy in our first years in the prem. Signing promising players who are at the top of the rung below.

Very interesting that this is after the rumoured reduction in powers for our previous transfer guru.
    You mean... the guy who masterminded the original policy of signing top players from the rung below? Don’t fool yourself with the fact that they’ve decided it’s best not to put Les in front of the cameras anymore. He’s as much behind this policy now as when he drove a similar policy a few years ago, and the shift of policy in between which didn’t quite work out.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyell View Post
    I assume he worked with Watson in some capacity when he was still part of the England set up.

Yeah. From what I hear Watson is a big fan of his and was the difference between him joining us at another side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did McCathy know this signing before agreeing on the extension of his contract?

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by HKsaint View Post
    Did McCathy know this signing before agreeing on the extension of his contract?

Why would it matter unless McCarthy is afraid of healthy competition? From McCarthy's point of view his no doubt happy to have financial security for the next four years.

A surprising but welcome addition.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Dave Watson allegedly said he would stay at Saints as long as Fraser stayed with us when there were rumours about the inventors of the dug outs were sniffing aground him. With Sparky in the big chair, you would imagine that Eddie is going to be watching and knowledgeable about whats going on between the sticks
    But isn't it traditional at Saints that ex-keepers get to become one of our goalkeeper coaches? So don't be surprised if FF becomes assistant to Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Very good signing. He was excellent for Norwich last season.
    Yes, highly rated by Norwich fans.

Quote Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
    But isn't it traditional at Saints that ex-keepers get to become one of our goalkeeper coaches? So don't be surprised if FF becomes assistant to Watson.
    If that’s the case may as well pack up our tent and bugger off back to League 1!

But isn't it traditional at Saints that ex-keepers get to become one of our goalkeeper coaches?
    How many in this tradition can you name?

(Kelvin Davis is not Saints goalkeeper coach )

I think it's more traditional that fully fit 30-year old goalkeepers tend to continue being a goalkeeper for four or five or six more seasons before they even think about coaching.

Bizarre.

According to Opta Bartosz Bialkowski actually played better than him last season so maybe we should have never sold him!

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

Watched Angus in the warm up yesterday and he was 'mustard' - very agile and nimble for a big guy (6'5" apparently) - very impressive and then he came on for the second half and kept a clean sheet !
    Can't say fairer than that !

34. Default

Now I am wondering who might become our N1 & 2. McCarthy is better than FF at present (given that FF is suffering a lack of confidence), so when he took over last season, it seemed like he was brilliant. But is he? He is certainly more competent but is he a really good keeper? He let in lots of goals, even with a defence short on confidence. Gunn is still young, and we aren't the sort of club to splurge 15m on a reserve keeper, even if we have give McCarthy an extension.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Now I am wondering who might become our N1 & 2. McCarthy is better than FF at present (given that FF is suffering a lack of confidence), so when he took over last season, it seemed like he was brilliant. But is he? He is certainly more competent but is he a really good keeper? He let in lots of goals, even with a defence short on confidence. Gunn is still young, and we aren't the sort of club to splurge 15m on a reserve keeper, even if we have give McCarthy an extension.

I think for now McCarthy's end of last season form (he pulled off some excellent saves to secures us vital points last season) gives him the No1 spot but he now has proper competition and if his form drops off we shouldn't have any compunction about giving Gunn the jersey instead.

From what I've seen previously, he's not spectacular, but he's extremely competent: he saves the ones you'd expect your keeper to save, and does everything calmly, without much fuss.

Reminds me a little of Van Der Sar. Very reliable. He won't let us down - and who knows how good he might become in time.

You could argue, with cash being tight, that we had greater priorities to address than goalkeeper this summer, but long term I think Gunn will prove a cracking investment.

Here’s a Telegraph bit on Gunn. McLeish has been trying to sign him up for the Scotland team...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...footsteps/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Albert View Post
    Here’s a Telegraph bit on Gunn. McLeish has been trying to sign him up for the Scotland team...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...footsteps/amp/
    Thanks for the link.
    "Dave is a very old-school goalkeeping coach who just says to keep the ball out of the net" is very telling and shows IMHO why FF has turned to sh1t, when more modern coaches develop all aspects of the keeper and make them more of a "sweeper keeper". Just hope good 'ol Dave doesn't rub his magic on our two up and coming keepers!

I wonder if any part of Gunn is kicking himself for leaving city?
    obviously, he would not have known what would happen to Bravo.......

40. Default

He'd still be a No.2. Behind Ederson instead of McCarthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    He'd still be a No.2. Behind Ederson instead of McCarthy.
    exactly

No, the lure of working with Dave Watson would still have been too great...

From the Telegraph article:
    "The English presence was one of the primary attractions when Gunn was considering his options this summer. The 22-year-old will be working closely with Dave Watson, the goalkeeping coach who used to coach the goalkeepers in the England senior team. Watson’s encouragement, alongside Mark Hughes, was key in convincing Gunn to make the journey south."

It would be hilarious if Forster goes to City as emergency reserve keeper.

The antithesis of a sweeper-keeper would certainly give Pep very different interesting possibilities.

Blog Entries

Stuart Taylor is evidently under consideration :-)

They have recalled Muric from loan...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45278143