Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

I haven't seen much of Gunn but there is a lot of hype around him. If the fee really is only £10m, and he is willing to leave Man City for us to compete for the #1 spot and we can also shift Forster for the same amount to Chelsea and (I presume) Gunn will be on smaller wages for now then this is a really good move by the club. Given McCarthy has signed a new deal, then we're probably going from a tandem of McCarthy and Forster to McCarthy and Gunn and it hasn't cost us anything.

McCarthy does need viable competition, and Gunn seems like a great player to provide it to him.

This. I'm going to assume a Forster move will be a loan, I can't imagine we'd be lucky enough to get Fraser's full wage off the bill AND receive a fee.

Latest from Simon Stone (who broke the story yesterday), which chimes with the saint in winchester's post above.

@sistoney67: The fee for Angus Gunn to @SouthamptonFC could eventually reach £13.5million. £10million initial payment, with the rest in add ons. Initial payment puts him comfortably in top 10 most expensive Premier League keepers.

Finally its all done looks a promising signing well done saints. Yannick nearly all signed up too. What do we need next guys?

This please!

- Right-back cover? (Hughes might find somebody within the squad)

- Speedster / creative Winger (Really think we need to find a Mane-esque player. The Promes idea was decent, but not sure we'd spend £30m+, Sisto? or Shaqiri?)

- Striker (Interesting one as you'd imagine we still need a target-man type)

Any hints on players leaving?

I think it's more that we're planning for succession, and that the club think that Lewis or Rose are decent and have a future. McCarthy inevitably will move on at some point, Gunn will then be top boy with one of the others challenging is my guess.

McCarthy's only 28, he could easily play top level for another 7 years.

Can't really see Gunn waiting around that long, I more suspect as I said that they are looking at McCarthy's history and see that it is a bit up and down and might be worried that his form will take a hit next year and with Forster not looking anywhere near his old self we won't have a decent keeper to challenge.

Forster must have really lost it. What an incredible fall from grace.

We can speculate what has caused it. Psychological or the injury he sustained having much more significant effect than we thought?

Hey Dalek. I think he just got found out. Once his weaknesses were exposed, they were seized upon.

McCarthy's only 28, he could easily play top level for another 7 years.

Can't really see Gunn waiting around that long, I more suspect as I said that they are looking at McCarthy's history and see that it is a bit up and down and might be worried that his form will take a hit next year and with Forster not looking anywhere near his old self we won't have a decent keeper to challenge.

Gunn obviously hasn't come to sit on the bench for 7 years. I was talking about succession beyond McCarthy when he moves on, not retiring.

Forster must have really lost it. What an incredible fall from grace.

We can speculate what has caused it. Psychological or the injury he sustained having much more significant effect than we thought?

Yes, I wonder if we will ever find out. Either the (physical) hardware is damaged beyond repair, or the (mental) software is malfunctioning. Is it something in his personal life? Is it depression? We can only speculate. It is a shame as he was a great keeper for us but he isn't at the level he was. The acquisition of Gunn suggests the club are looking at another to compete with McCarthy now.

Yes, I wonder if we will ever find out. Either the (physical) hardware is damaged beyond repair, or the (mental) software is malfunctioning. Is it something in his personal life? Is it depression? We can only speculate. It is a shame as he was a great keeper for us but he isn't at the level he was. The acquisition of Gunn suggests the club are looking at another to compete with McCarthy now.

I know a little about his personal life - there is no issue there. I think he's been badly coached and his confidence is shot. He's on a contract worth £21m over 4 years though so moving him on will be difficult, and any transfer fee will go straight towards paying up that contract.

As an aside, whoever gave him him that contract should walk. That, and the Carillo deal, were absolutely shocking pieces of business and with agents fees and wages represent nearly £50m down the pan.

I know a little about his personal life - there is no issue there. I think he's been badly coached and his confidence is shot. He's on a contract worth £21m over 4 years though so moving him on will be difficult, and any transfer fee will go straight towards paying up that contract.

As an aside, whoever gave him him that contract should walk. That, and the Carillo deal, were absolutely shocking pieces of business and with agents fees and wages represent nearly £50m down the pan.

If that really is the case then the GK coach should be sacked.

The Echo finally catch up.

SAINTS are closing in on the signing young Manchester City goalkeeper Angus Gunn.

The club have been tracking the 22-year-old all summer and the Daily Echo understands the final touches of a deal are being put in place.

It is believed the fee will be around £10m, potentially rising to £13.5m for the son of former Norwich and Scotland goalkeeper Bryan Gunn.

The Manchester Evening News are reporting City will have a buy-back and sell-on clause for Gunn.

The highly-rated shot stopper impressed on loan in the Championship with the Canaries last season, playing 51 times in all competitions.

Despite a fantastic season, Gunn's chances of playing with City remained low, with Ederson very much first choice at the Etihad Stadium.

Alex McCarthy will remain number one at St Mary's with Gunn competing for a place behind him.

Fraser Forster's future at Saints remains uncertain and now even more so with the imminent arrival of Gunn.

Source: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16344469.saints-on-the-verge-of-angus-gunn-signing/

Depends how much the buy-back clause is.

I seem to remember the one for Iheanacho when he moved to Leicester was circa £50 mill (for context, the transfer fee was about half of that). At a guess then, maybe £30mill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally agree with the second paragraph.

Goalkeepers live off confidence. We have seen it go many times before, some more dramatic than others. Robert Green was never quite a s good after the England error. Didn't our own Terry Gennoe lose it after the League cup final defeat to Forest?

Gunn obviously hasn't come to sit on the bench for 7 years. I was talking about succession beyond McCarthy when he moves on, not retiring.

Why would he move on any time soon? IMO he's not good enough for a top 6 club and is unlikely to get much better now at 28. Could be wrong but I doubt the Liverpool rumours where serious.

He did very well for us this season but we should remember this is a guy who has played for 11 clubs, and has only amassed 189 games in 10 years and has only played two full seasons in his career, 1 in League One and 1 in the Championship. He's also failed to establish himself as no.1 at both Palace and QPR, behind hardly world class keepers.

Buy back clauses are typically a chance for the original selling club, in this case Man City, to have first option to match the offer made by the prospective buyer. If they don't want to match it we could accept the offer from Liverpool (sorry, slip of the key board, I meant the prospective buyer). It's not normally a fixed pre-agreed fee

Seems a bit of an odd one to me. It's hard to see why we'd spend 13.5m on a reserve keeper, or, alternatively, why we think we need a new first choice. If I was McCarthy, and Gunn came straight in as the new No1, I'd be extremely ****ed off. I can't imagine he didn't seek assurances about his status before signing an extension to his contract, either.

I'm not normally impatient but I'm still waiting for this to be hijacked at the 11th hour...

I think this is a cracking signing if we complete it. Genuine competition for McCarthy who did very well last season coming in and assisting with survival, did very well at Norwich last season. I think he'll be courted by huge clubs in the next couple of years, but for now it strengthens a position which we are always normally weak in. More of the same please Saints...

Shame to see Forster lose confidence, (irrespective of how poor he is, it's obvious his confidence is shot), didn't we once have another keeper who did he same? Might've been Ian Andrews. Still I hope we can ship him out soon enough.

I’ve often thought that he seems to get distracted too easily during games, normally on pulling up his socks which he must do about a hundred times a game. Doesn’t seem to be paying attention until the ball gets played into our half and therefore gets caught out if anyone shoots unexpectedly from distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a bit of an odd one to me. It's hard to see why we'd spend 13.5m on a reserve keeper, or, alternatively, why we think we need a new first choice. If I was McCarthy, and Gunn came straight in as the new No1, I'd be extremely ****ed off. I can't imagine he didn't seek assurances about his status before signing an extension to his contract, either.

I think the echo stated in their piece that McCarthy is no 1

Couple of myths to debunk. Players dont seek assurances that blatently and if they do the club isn't the one to give them it. "I'll sign if I'm 1st choice" "Well you're 1st choice now, so unless you plan on being **** over the summer you'll be first choice when the season starts. We might sign a keeper but we're not saying you're 1st choice only to see you be **** and not be able to drop you"

Like every other position its competition for places with a young talent. If we signed a striker now people aren't going to be querying how ****ed of Austin would be. It'll be a case of who performs best is in.

Gunn signs!

SouthamptonFC: Give a warm welcome to #SaintsFC's latest addition, #ENG Under-21 international @AngusGunn01!

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-07-10/announcement-southampton-manchester-city-angus-gunn-transfer

No Les!

@SouthamptonFC: #SaintsFC is delighted to announce the arrival of highly-rated #ENG Under-21 international goalkeeper @AngusGunn01!

KU-e3nkh?format=jpg&name=600x314

Edited by SuperSAINT

I wonder, in a sort of Machiavellian way, whether signing Gunn, a prospect by all accounts, is a way of putting pressure on FF to look elsewhere and get him off of our wage bill.

I'd take it to mean that a deal for FF is imminent and they are already fairly certain he's off. For a club so tight with money, there's no way we'd risk having both of them and McC on the wage bill.

Welcome Angus. Never seen him play but most of the reviews seem positive.

When I was just a little boy,

I asked my mother what should I be,

Should I be Pompey,

Should I be Saints,

Here’s what she said to me,

Wash your mouth out son,

And go get Angus gunn,

And shoot the Pompey scum,

And support the saints,

We hate Pompey!

We hate Pompey

Good news, hope he gets some game time soon.

Just to note -

“The manager and Dave Watson were a big part of the reason why I have chosen to join and speaking to them both was a big factor in my decision.

“I think the club has got a big future and I’m looking forward to getting started now. I’ve spoken to Dave Watson and he said it would be a great environment to come in to work. It feels really good and I’m buzzing to get going.”

Watson seems to get a lot stick on here for some reason, but clearly is still well respected by players.

Should I be Pompey,

Should I be Saints,

Wash your mouth out son,

And go get Angus gunn,

And support the saints,

We hate Pompey!

We hate Pompey

Might catch on but I get a bit board with the Pompey songs as they are a nothing club.

Should I be Pompey,

Should I be Saints,

Wash your mouth out son,

And go get Angus gunn,

And support the saints,

We hate Pompey!

We hate Pompey

Might catch on but I get a bit board with the Pompey songs as they are a nothing club.

I agree - but while we are talking about it, what a chance to take out any reference to anything crap from a Saints song...! How about this alternative?:

Should I be a keeper,

Or out on the pitch?

Think of it clearly son,

You're Angus, son of Bryn Gunn,

So go and be number 1,

And play for Saints,

He's our keeper!

He's our keeper!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich