Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich

SuperSAINT

Time for him to get his own thread?

So a little while ago (24th June), K,Billy posted the following:

beavis17 just posted up a tweet by the BBC's Simon Stone.

@sistoney67: Angus Gunn close to joining @SouthamptonFC from Man City. Would be permanent deal. Other clubs interested but Saints head the queue. Very highly-rated keeper.

@sistoney67: This is one of those tough situations. Everyone at City - and many other places - know this lad is going to be very good and potential England keeper one day. But Ederson number one. Bravo on big money and Grimshaw just signed new deal. He can go somewhere good and play.

Looks like this one could be our 4th signing of the summer.

Angus Gunn

Makes great saves just for fun

Angus Gunn

F8cking hates Pompey, Saints number one

To the tune of Tommy Gunn by the Clash

With this and The Enola Gay/Stuart Armstrong song our song list has improved by 10000000000%

Now how do they sound sung at 100000mph with clapping all the way through?

Why do you think that? Reportedly on 90k a week, can't get in the side of (currently) a lower Prem side. Who would (a) need him, and (b) be prepared to afford him?

Unless he is open to a compromise agreement? Or we loan him out and pay him £50k a week to play for someone else, I honestly can't see this being resolved anytime soon.

Why do you think that? Reportedly on 90k a week, can't get in the side of (currently) a lower Prem side. Who would (a) need him, and (b) be prepared to afford him?

Unless he is open to a compromise agreement? Or we loan him out and pay him £50k a week to play for someone else, I honestly can't see this being resolved anytime soon.

This is when we need QPR of yesteryear or West Ham to bail us out.

Would imagine a subsidised loan move is imminent.

It’s done apparently.

I know he would be 4th choice at City but it’s a strange move for him.

But boy,is he a talent.

Let’s ship out Forster and see what happens.

I thought McCarthy was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just find it bizarre that we are getting in a young goalkeeper so what is happening to McCarthy who has just signed a new contract Gunn is not going to come here and not be No 1 surely.

Probably fancies the prospect of being able to 'job share' or even dislodge McCarthy before he will City's gks.

I just find it bizarre that we are getting in a young goalkeeper so what is happening to McCarthy who has just signed a new contract Gunn is not going to come here and not be No 1 surely.

He's fighting hard for his position against a talented goalkeeper knowing that if his form dips or if he is injured someone is snapping at his heels. Sounds very healthy to me. From Gunns point of view he jumps a few places up the pecking order, has a good chance of prem football this season (rather than on loan to champ), may well increase his wages, will get cup games in a club that has got to final in recent history. Maybe he is confident enough in his ability he thinks he can come in and get McCarthy on to the bench.

Great signing

why bizarre? goalkeepers get injured, lose form and tend to share cup games being 4th choice at city means none of above gets him a game

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The idea that McCarthy is on the verge of a big move soom is funny btw. He was available when we signed him and it took him a while to get into pir team but nobody was hunting him then. He did well when he did get in of.course but are we in danger of over hyping his performances because of how bad Forster was and we forgot what a competent keeper should be able to do. All reports and hype around Gunn suggests to me that he's the one that we should be expecting moves from in a couple of years. City rated him but have circumstances that means he can't get in. As with most City deals now it'll have a buy back clause in it and I wouldn't be surprised to see this kid by pass McCarthy soon and City enforce it when the hype becomes real. It's a great signing.

The idea that McCarthy is on the verge of a big move soom is funny btw. He was available when we signed him and it took him a while to get into pir team but nobody was hunting him then. He did well when he did get in of.course but are we in danger of over hyping his performances because of how bad Forster was and we forgot what a competent keeper should be able to do. All reports and hype around Gunn suggests to me that he's the one that we should be expecting moves from in a couple of years. City rated him but have circumstances that means he can't get in. As with most City deals now it'll have a buy back clause in it and I wouldn't be surprised to see this kid by pass McCarthy soon and City enforce it when the hype becomes real. It's a great signing.

Great post, agree 100%

I’m hoping that the unsubstantiated rumours of FF going to Chelsea turn out to be true. He ticks a box for them in terms of UEFA’s home grown players requirement, and they can afford the lavish wages that the club inexplicably awarded him last year. They might even pay a decent transfer fee.

A change of scenery and coaching might even do him some good, but I’m not sure what kind of coaching can improve his slower-than-molasses-in-January reflexes.

Angus Gunn

Makes great saves just for fun

Angus Gunn

F8cking hates Pompey, Saints number one

To the tune of Tommy Gunn by the Clash

With this and The Enola Gay/Stuart Armstrong song our song list has improved by 10000000000%

Now how do they sound sung at 100000mph with clapping all the way through?

or...

Gunn,

Gunn,

Angus, Angus Gunn

He makes saves, just for fun,

Angus, Angus Gunn

I'm starting to feel positive about this season with some pretty decent signings coming in , Sounds like our owner is backing Hughes !

Me too but I will only feel really positive if we get in a decent striker I know it is hard getting one in but I am hoping for the best

I presume he has been told he will be battling McCarthy for a first team slot otherwise it's an odd move.

Maybe they are worried that McCarthy's form last year was only temporary and he might slip back down to a lower level so want a potential replacement?

I presume he has been told he will be battling McCarthy for a first team slot otherwise it's an odd move.

Maybe they are worried that McCarthy's form last year was only temporary and he might slip back down to a lower level so want a potential replacement?

that and the injury record over the past couple of years probably

This deal has to be on the basis that Forster has already found a new club??

Maybe. Only rumours have been Watford (now not happening) and vague whispers about Chelsea.

Nobody is in charge of Chelsea to be able to make the decision though.

I haven't seen much of Gunn but there is a lot of hype around him. If the fee really is only £10m, and he is willing to leave Man City for us to compete for the #1 spot and we can also shift Forster for the same amount to Chelsea and (I presume) Gunn will be on smaller wages for now then this is a really good move by the club. Given McCarthy has signed a new deal, then we're probably going from a tandem of McCarthy and Forster to McCarthy and Gunn and it hasn't cost us anything.

McCarthy does need viable competition, and Gunn seems like a great player to provide it to him.

I think it's more that we're planning for succession, and that the club think that Lewis or Rose are decent and have a future. McCarthy inevitably will move on at some point, Gunn will then be top boy with one of the others challenging is my guess.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Angus Gunn - Official: Signs for Norwich