Current Squad Size

Saint Garrett

How many players do we currently have who will have to be counted in the 25 man squad?

Currently including Vestergaard and Gunn...

GK's: McCarthy Gunn Forster Rose

DF's: Hoedt Stephens Vestergaard Yoshida Bednarek Targett Bertrand McQueen Cedric

MF's: Lemina Romeu Hojbjerg Reed Davis Armstrong JWP Clasie

AM's: Redmond Elyounassi Boufal Sims

ST's: Austin Gabbiadini Long Gallagher

Thats 28 players...assuming we find a home for the ones in bold that leaves us with 23 players. Also doesn't include the "youngsters" that now have to be counted in the squad (not sure how many of these there are now?)

Still probably a wide man and a striker away from the squad as of August too...

Squad size will be ok no doubt but quality remains a question which is the thing concerning me this window. Yes, we've signed xyz but they are all squad players to add depth and options. But none with any "star", game changing quality.

We are just hoping based on their stats and their previous experiences that they come good for us in the first team and that they will develop into the stars we hope they will be for us.

But that is The Saints way. I suspect anything more would be considered unsustainable!

Squad size will be ok no doubt but quality remains a question which is the thing concerning me this window. Yes, we've signed xyz but they are all squad players to add depth and options. But none with any "star", game changing quality.

We are just hoping based on their stats and their previous experiences that they come good for us in the first team and that they will develop into the stars we hope they will be for us.

But that is The Saints way. I suspect anything more would be considered unsustainable!

You've kind of answered your own question. I think making stars really is what we're best at.

Rubbish, we have youngsters that can be 'squad' players, these have been bought as first teamers.

Rubbish, we have youngsters that can be 'squad' players, these have been bought as first teamers.

Is that true? Is Armstrong a definite starter? Or this new CB ahead of Yoshi, Hoedt, Bednarak and Stephens? The latter in particular would surprise me.

The only starter seems to be Elyounoussi to replace Tadic.

I'm talking about players who unquestionably would start ahead of what we currently have.

But as noted above, I think I already answered by own question :)

Edited by BotleySaint

Is that true? Is Armstrong a definite starter? Or this new CB ahead of Yoshi, Hoedt, Bednarak and Stephens? The latter in particular would surprise me.

The only starter seems to be Elyounoussi to replace Tadic.

I'm talking about players who unquestionably would start ahead of what we currently have.

But as noted above, I think I already answered by own question :)

We wanted a no 10, Armstrong fits that bill, we wanted another attacking midfielder, Elyounoussi fits that bill, we wanted a CB to dominate in the air, Vestergaard fits that bill. So for me, they are first teamers.

Certainly would expect them to be.

Amstrong in the hole, Elyounoussi out wide, Vestergaard a starter, only one is maybe Gunn who will be fighting it out with McCarthy for the no 1 shirt. No harm in having competition in that position.

My point was more that our squad still feels quite bloated if you include any of the other youngsters who now have to be counted...with the added assumption of the 6 highlighted leaving which may not even happen.

Amstrong in the hole, Elyounoussi out wide, Vestergaard a starter, only one is maybe Gunn who will be fighting it out with McCarthy for the no 1 shirt. No harm in having competition in that position.

My point was more that our squad still feels quite bloated if you include any of the other youngsters who now have to be counted...with the added assumption of the 6 highlighted leaving which may not even happen.

I agree that some have to go, we can all have a guess as to who. One has gone on loan, I suspect another six senior players will go, a free, a loan, and four sells.

Wouldn't surprise me to see around 6-10 leave on loan or permanently.

- Forster

- McQueen or Targett

- Clasie

- Reed

- Boufal

- Gallagher

- Seager

- Barnes

I doubt Gunn would be signed if we didn't have expectations that Forster was on his way somewhere.

You'd also expect Boufal to be on his way. Same with Clasie, just have to agree it with Feyenoord.

Davis there seems to have been no real concrete reports on, but you can't see him getting near the team

Then the likes of McQueen, Gallagher, Reed, Targett will be looked at to either be loaned or wanting to move for first team football. Stephens might also join that list.

The squad has been bloated for a while, it's a left over of the Europa league campaign and the fact that several players on longer contracts have failed to peform so have to have been replaced. Forster and Clasie may be difficult to shift if we have expectations of recouping transfer fees for them instead of just cutting the losses and getting them off the wage bill.

1. Alex McCarthy

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens

6. Wesley Hoedt

7. Shane Long

8. Steven Davis

9. Mohammed Elyonoussi

10. Charlie Austin

11. Stuart Armstrong

12. Matt Targett

13. Fraser Forster

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Jan Bednarek

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Sam McQueen

18. Mario Lemina

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Harry Reed

25. Ryan Seager

26. Marcus Barnes

27. Sam Gallagher

28. Jake Hesketh

29. Jack Rose

30. Jake Flannigan

+ 31. Gunn

32. Vestergaard

Only 25 man squad allowed, so 7 need to be moved on/not selected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that Carrillo has gone out on loan, we currently have 30 players who do not qualify as Under 21 and would therefore need to be named in our 25 man squad to play in the PL. Add Gunn and Vestergaard and will need to sell or loan out at least 7 to avoid them sitting around and ineligible to play.

The 3O players are as set out in the previous post.

On the basis that neither Barnes nor Seager made the plane to China, they would seem not to be in Hughes’ plans for this season (Seager set for a loan in Holland I think I read). Clasie is set to go back to Holland. We are clearly looking to offload Boufal. It is difficult to see us bringing Gunn in if we didn’t think we could loan or sell Forster. That’s 5 of the 7. Flannigan is on a monthly contract so could be released or may be a prime candidate for a loan. Perhaps McQueen or Targett also out on loan? Davis is also rumoured to be on his way - didn’t get any game time in China. Reed is another widely tipped for a move out but will depend on Hughes’ view having seen him in China.

Now that Carrillo has gone out on loan, we currently have 30 players who do not qualify as Under 21 and would therefore need to be named in our 25 man squad to play in the PL. Add Gunn and Vestergaard and will need to sell or loan out at least 7 to avoid them sitting around and ineligible to play.

The 3O players are as set out in the previous post.

On the basis that neither Barnes nor Seager made the plane to China, they would seem not to be in Hughes’ plans for this season (Seager set for a loan in Holland I think I read). Clasie is set to go back to Holland. We are clearly looking to offload Boufal. It is difficult to see us bringing Gunn in if we didn’t think we could loan or sell Forster. That’s 5 of the 7. Flannigan is on a monthly contract so could be released or may be a prime candidate for a loan. Perhaps McQueen or Targett also out on loan? Davis is also rumoured to be on his way - didn’t get any game time in China. Reed is another widely tipped for a move out but will depend on Hughes’ view having seen him in China.

I can see both Davis and Long leaving - for Rangers and Reading maybe. And I am half expecting Yoshida to head back to Japan for his final payday.

I am also expecting one or both of Cedric and Bertrand to leave - which is I think why we are looking for another rightback to replace Cedric. Although we could end up playing Stephens, Reed or Valery there next season.

If we play 3 at the back and wingbacks or wide midfielders, with two central midfielders and 2 inside forwards JWP or Reed could both do a job out on the right as a wide midfielder.

I have a feeling we will see more ins and outs than most people think.

I am also expecting one or both of Cedric and Bertrand to leave - which is I think why we are looking for another rightback to replace Cedric. Although we could end up playing Stephens, Reed or Valery there next season.

There have been virtually no transfer rumours for either. Barring some dramatic change I fully expect them to both be here next season, I believe we are looking for a right back because Pied left and there is no back up.

1. Alex McCarthy

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens

6. Wesley Hoedt

7. Shane Long

8. Steven Davis

9. Mohammed Elyonoussi

10. Charlie Austin

11. Stuart Armstrong

12. Matt Targett

13. Fraser Forster

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Jan Bednarek

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Sam McQueen

18. Mario Lemina

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Harry Reed

25. Ryan Seager

26. Marcus Barnes

27. Sam Gallagher

28. Jake Hesketh

29. Jack Rose

30. Jake Flannigan

+ 31. Gunn

32. Vestergaard

Clasie, Targett/McQueen, Boufal, Forster, Seager, Barnes and Flannigan I reckon will be out either sold or on loan - could probably add Hesketh to that as well, surely needs a loan somewhere for some gametime if he wants to develop?

Other possibilities to go would be Davis, Gallagher/Long, one of the CB's - possibly Reed too, unless they decide he would be adequate RB/RWB cover after his spell there at Norwich.

So you could make a case for 12 possible departures.

There have been virtually no transfer rumours for either. Barring some dramatic change I fully expect them to both be here next season, I believe we are looking for a right back because Pied left and there is no back up.

I reckon it will be that Croatian lad from the Danish team - Karlo Bartolec - that we replace Pied with. Agreed on Bertrand and Cedric. I think that Bertrand’s time for leaving has been and gone as can’t see any of the top 6 being in need of a new LB.

Cedric just hasn’t been good enough, though I could see him leaving next summer when he has a year left on his contract (assuming he doesn’t sign a new one).

How many players do we currently have who will have to be counted in the 25 man squad?

Currently including Vestergaard and Gunn...

GK's: McCarthy Gunn Forster Rose

DF's: Hoedt Stephens Vestergaard Yoshida Bednarek Targett Bertrand McQueen Cedric

MF's: Lemina Romeu Hojbjerg Reed Davis Armstrong JWP Clasie

AM's: Redmond Elyounassi Boufal Sims

ST's: Austin Gabbiadini Long Gallagher

Thats 28 players...assuming we find a home for the ones in bold that leaves us with 23 players. Also doesn't include the "youngsters" that now have to be counted in the squad (not sure how many of these there are now?)

Still probably a wide man and a striker away from the squad as of August too...

Only players 21 and over are counted in the 25 man squad

1. Alex McCarthy

2. Cédric Soares

3. Maya Yoshida

4. Jordy Clasie

5. Jack Stephens

6. Wesley Hoedt

7. Shane Long

8. Steven Davis

9. Mohammed Elyonoussi

10. Charlie Austin

11. Stuart Armstrong

12. Matt Targett

13. Fraser Forster

14. Oriol Romeu

15. Jan Bednarek

16. James Ward-Prowse

17. Sam McQueen

18. Mario Lemina

19. Sofiane Boufal

20. Monolo Gabbiadini

21. Ryan Bertrand

22. Nathan Redmond

23. Pierre Højbjerg

24. Harry Reed

25. Ryan Seager

26. Marcus Barnes

27. Sam Gallagher

28. Jake Hesketh

29. Jack Rose

30. Jake Flannigan

+ 31. Gunn

32. Vestergaard

How many of these are home grown or under 21. I doubt we will be over 25 players

How many of these are home grown or under 21. I doubt we will be over 25 players

All the named players are over 21. Mccarthy, Stephens, long, Davis, Austin, Targett, Forster, Romeu, ward-prowse, McQueen, Bertrand, redmond, Reed, Seager, Barnes, Gallagher, hesketh, Rose, Flannigan and Gunn the Home grown players

Only players 21 and over are counted in the 25 man squad

Think all of the ones I suggested are over 21, and they’ll be others I don’t have on my list which will need to be counted or moved on who I have missed, I.e. Barnes, Flannigan, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Number[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Homegrown[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]In Squad Y/N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]McCarthy[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Cedric[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Yoshida[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Clasie[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Stephens[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Hoedt[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]Long[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]Davis[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Austin[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]Elyounoussi[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]Romeu[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]Ward-Prowse[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]17[/TD]

[TD]Armstrong[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]Lemina[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]Boufal[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]Gabbiadini[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21[/TD]

[TD]Bertrand[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]22[/TD]

[TD]Redmond[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]23[/TD]

[TD]Højbjerg[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]25[/TD]

[TD]Reed[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]27[/TD]

[TD]Gallagher[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]32[/TD]

[TD]Jones[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]33[/TD]

[TD]Targett[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]34[/TD]

[TD]Flannigan[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]35[/TD]

[TD]Bednarek[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]38[/TD]

[TD]McQueen[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]39[/TD]

[TD]Sims[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]42[/TD]

[TD]Hesketh[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]43[/TD]

[TD]Valery[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]44[/TD]

[TD]Forster[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]?[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]-[/TD]

[TD]Gunn[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That's 25 players in the squad (I might have missed a few U21 players but since they don't count against the 25 that doesn't really matter). It all works out as long as we get rid of Forster and Clasie, who both are rumoured to be on their way. Any additional players coming in means we have to get rid of more players. I guess Boufal (also rumoured to be on his way) and Hesketh (needs to go out on loan) would be decent candidates.

That's 25 players in the squad (I might have missed a few U21 players but since they don't count against the 25 that doesn't really matter). It all works out as long as we get rid of Forster and Clasie, who both are rumoured to be on their way. Any additional players coming in means we have to get rid of more players. I guess Boufal (also rumoured to be on his way) and Hesketh (needs to go out on loan) would be decent candidates.

Very clear. Rose, Barnes and Seager are also all home grown players over 21.

You are right about the U21 - but if you were to add the main ones that would probably include Lewis, Vokins and Slattery (all went to China) and Obafemi on the basis he played for the first team last season. I'm not sure whether Valery (who's French) qualifies as home grown or not but it's not relevant at this stage as he's under 21 and there is no distinction in the U21 list between home grown and not.

Maybe loans for the players over 21 ans who have not played often would be good. I would also get rid of over 21 players who are not up to it such as Gallagher and Long. We know two or three others will move on. So there is no problem.

[TR]

[TD]Number[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Homegrown[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]In Squad Y/N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]McCarthy[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Cedric[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Yoshida[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Clasie[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Stephens[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Hoedt[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]Long[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]Davis[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Austin[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]Elyounoussi[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]Romeu[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]Ward-Prowse[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]17[/TD]

[TD]Armstrong[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]Lemina[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]Boufal[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]Gabbiadini[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]21[/TD]

[TD]Bertrand[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]22[/TD]

[TD]Redmond[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]23[/TD]

[TD]Højbjerg[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]25[/TD]

[TD]Reed[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]27[/TD]

[TD]Gallagher[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]32[/TD]

[TD]Jones[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]33[/TD]

[TD]Targett[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]34[/TD]

[TD]Flannigan[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]35[/TD]

[TD]Bednarek[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]38[/TD]

[TD]McQueen[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]39[/TD]

[TD]Sims[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]42[/TD]

[TD]Hesketh[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]43[/TD]

[TD]Valery[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD]U21[/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]44[/TD]

[TD]Forster[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]-[/TD]

[TD]Gunn[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]-[/TD]

[TD]Vestergaard[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Y

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]-[/TD]

[TD]Rose[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]-[/TD]

[TD]Seager[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]-[/TD]

[TD]Barnes[/TD]

[TD]HG[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]N[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

As I said in my previous post it only works if Forster and Clasie leave and if additional players leave if/when new players arrive. With Vestergaard coming in I guess Hesketh is the one losing out. Currently we have 7 non-U21 players too much (Clasie, Forster, Flannigan, Hesketh, Rose, Seager & Barnes), I expect there to be a few outgoings sooner rather then later.