Next seasons line up

Dr. Kucho

With Armstrong, Gunn, Elyounoussi (spelling) signed and Vestergaard all but signed. What would your prefered line up be for next season?

Think Hughes will go with the 3-5-2 line up England played this WC, will go for,

McCarthy

Yoshida - Vestergaard - Bertrand

Cedric - Lemina - Armstrong - Hoijbjerg - McQueen

Austin - Elyounoussi

Subs: Gunn, Gabbiadini, Ward-Prowse, Hoedt, Romeu, Sims, Reed

would assume bertrand at wing back and bednarek/hoedt at CB. Hughes rightly impressed with Bednarek at end of last season - not sure how hi world cup went but he got game time and clearly has promise. Other than that, with that formation looks a likely side at this stage of proceedings i reckon

------------------ McCarthy/Gunn ---------------- (

------- Yoshida - Vestergaard - Hoedt ----------

Cedric ----------------------------------- Bertrand

------------ Romeu -------- Lemina --------------

Elyounoussi ------------------------------ Another

-------------------- Austin -------------------------

With Armstrong, Gunn, Elyounoussi (spelling) signed and Vestergaard all but signed. What would your prefered line up be for next season?

Think Hughes will go with the 3-5-2 line up England played this WC, will go for,

McCarthy

Yoshida - Vestergaard - Bertrand

Cedric - Lemina - Armstrong - Hoijbjerg - McQueen

Austin - Elyounoussi

Subs: Gunn, Gabbiadini, Ward-Prowse, Hoedt, Romeu, Sims, Reed

Wot no Thierry Henry mk2?

------------------ McCarthy/Gunn ---------------- (

------- Yoshida - Vestergaard - Hoedt ----------

Elyounoussi ------------------------------ Another

This, but put Redmond in for the "Another" above

McCarthy,

Stephens, Vestegaard, Yoshida

Romeu

Cedric, Lemina, Davis, Bertrand

Gabbiadini, Moi

Not certain that Cedric or Yoshida will be ready for first match but reckon that's what Hughes will start with if they are. Armstrong for Davis if he is not fully fit. Reed for Cedric, Hoedt for Yoshida, if they are not ready.

I mean you'd expect us to go with 3 at the back, I'd be very surprised if one of those is Bertrand!

-------------------McCarthy/Gunn--------------------

----------Yoshida Vestergaard Hoedt--------------

Cedric--------Lemina-------Hojbjerg--------Bertrand

---------------------Armstrong-----------------------

--------------------Elyounoussi----------------------

-----------------------Austin-------------------------

Romeu could easily sub in for either Lemina or Hobjerg, Gabbiadini in for Austin - would hope we have a new signing leading the line, think it's a bit of a shame we didnt bring in Plea...!

------------------ McCarthy ----------------

------- Bednarek - Yoshida ------ Vestergaard -----------

Elyounoussi ------------------------------ Redmond

I'm guided by LeG saying we will play 3-4-2-1. I want to play Armstrong but with that formation It's hard to start him. He would have to come off the bench in this setup.

We will play 3-4-2-1 next season

Well if thats the case, it'll be something like...

---------Elyounoussi---------Armstrong-----------------------

I think that looks likely.

Would rather have Romeu than PEH but that’s pretty close.

That’s my side although could change depending on the forward we sign

This but with Gabbi or a new striker leading the line. Romeu and Hojbjerg is a toss up but Romeu needs to get back to his best, looked off the pace last season

Ryan Bertrand is one of the best wing backs in the country. The two wing back positions are absolutely key to the success of playing three at the back. Mark Hughes is not about to play him out of position and instead use a young left back with questionable pace and attacking instinct as a left wing back. If the plan was to use Bertrand as a full back, why would we be looking to increase the number of CBs in the squad to five, when they would be fighting it out for two spots?

Ryan Bertrand is one of the best wing backs in the country. The two wing back positions are absolutely key to the success of playing three at the back. Mark Hughes is not about to play him out of position

Kyle Walker is one of the best fullbacks in the country and just had a successful World Cup as part of a three man defence. ;)

Depending on the outs, the 3421 formation and cover could look like this:

McCarthy/Gunn

Yoshida/Stephens, Vestergaard/Bednarek, Hoedt/Jones (or new/Bertrand)

Cedric/Reed, Lemina/JWP, Romeu/Hojbjerg, Bertrand/Targett

Elyounoussi/Armstrong, Redmond/Sims

Gabbiadini/Austin

leaving: Lewis, Rose, McQueen, Davis, Hesketh, Long, Gallagher, Valery and Flannigan as back up/squad players, expecting Boufal, Forster and Clasie to leave.

IMO we should still bring another centre back in, and class Stephens as versatile squad filler or replaceable, bring in another first choice attacking midfielder for competition, and sell Long and bring in a first choice striker, with Gabbiadini classed as versatile to the attacking midfield positions. I also think there will be a big player that wants out, but that’s the nervous Saints fan in me.

Kyle Walker is one of the best fullbacks in the country and just had a successful World Cup as part of a three man defence. ;)

He had a poor game last night and is not comfortable in that position after hardly ever playing it in the past at club level. He has said as much.

It’s because there is little or no dropoff in quality to Trippier. Arguably the opposite. Would you be happy playing Targett to accomodate Bertrand as a CB?

Vestergaard and Hoedt in a back 3 would be dreadful...2 players slow on the turn. Personally I'd prefer Bertrand on the left of a back 3, Yoshida on the right and one of those 2 in the middle. Rest of the team depends on the formation but assuming LeG is right and we play 3421, Armstrong seems like an odd signing.

I don't think that there will be a 'first team' as such. With a larger and better squad to choose from I think that the team - and possibly the formation - will vary from match and even within a match. Form and fitness will of course come into the equation as will the opposition and their formation and tactics. There will be of course some players that will be definite starters when available such as McCarthy, Maya and probably Vestegaard and Bertrand (if he stays) but Sparky how has the ability to be quite flexible on selections and formations. I expect to see a few more departures before the deadline and hopefully another striker coming in.

Vestergaard and Hoedt in a back 3 would be dreadful...2 players slow on the turn. Personally I'd prefer Bertrand on the left of a back 3, Yoshida on the right and one of those 2 in the middle. Rest of the team depends on the formation but assuming LeG is right and we play 3421, Armstrong seems like an odd signing.
It is amazing how people have suddenly become experts on players who most of us hadn't heard of a week or two ago....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It is amazing how people have suddenly become experts on players who most of us hadn't heard of a week or two ago....

Internet...I could be wrong but from what I've read and seen he looks slow on the turn. Hoedt looked similar before he signed, and is indeed slow on the turn. With more teams playing inside forwards, the centre backs on the sides of a back 3 need pace - being 6 ft 5 and slow on the turn ain't any use when you have a Sanchez, Alli, Erikson, Sterling etc turning and running at you. Personally I'd prefer 1 sluggish lump at most.

That's what I'm hoping for but with OR in for PEH and Gabbi for Austin.

This, with hopefully a different name up front.

---------------------McCarthy--------------------

---------Elyounoussi---------Redmond-----------------------

Maybe Romeu for Hojbjerg or Bednarek for Hoedt, I can't make up my mind. Feel like Bertrand's ability would be wasted at CB as he is so good going forward.

Home against teams we ‘expect to beat’

—————-McCarthy—————-

— Yoshida Vestergaard hoedt—

Cedric———Lemina————Bertrand

—redmond/new—-Armstrong——Elyounoussi

——————Austin————————

Away/against top 6

—————- McCarthy ——————

——Yoshida Vestergaard Bertrand ——

Cedric —- Romeu — Lemina — targett

— redmond ————————- Elyounoussi

———————-Austin————————-

That's what I'm hoping for but with OR in for PEH and Gabbi for Austin.
That's probably something like it. Think we'll probably rotate two from Romeu, Hojbjerg and Lemina, Redmond will still compete with Armstrong and it's my bet that Austin will get few starts - it'll be Gabbiadini.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think we'll play a number of variations on 3 at the back, depending on the game situation, probably by inverting the pyramid at times.

Goalkeeper: McCarthy will start as no1 but at some point he will get injured and never be able to recover the jersey from Gunn.

I think the only certainty will be Vestergaard, with the others rotated depending on form and the opposition. My personal preference would be Bednarek, Vestergaard, Yoshida.

Wing backs will be Cedric and Bertrand.

Midfield will switch between a single pivot and double pivot, depending on the game situation and opposition. A single pivot will probably be Romeu, with Lemina as an option. My first choice for a double pivot would be Lemina and Hojbjerg. But I would never play Hojbjerg as a single pivot.

With a double pivot in midfield, I'd play Redmond and Elyounoussi in the attacking positions. With a single pivot, I'd add Armstrong to the attack.

Gabbs up front, with Gallagher as his backup. Austin on the bench to throw on.

My ideal team:

Gunn

Bednarek Vestergaard Yoshida

Cedric Lemina Hojbjerg Bertrand

Elyounoussi Redmond

Gabbiadini

To shift this to a more attacking line-up, you could then put Armstrong on for Hojbjerg, Romeu on for Lemina to shore things up as you're shifting to the single pivot, and Gallagher on for Gabbiadini to stretch the opposition with greater pace and strength.

-----------------------Gabbi/New-------------------------

It’s because there is little or no dropoff in quality to Trippier. Arguably the opposite. Would you be happy playing Targett to accomodate Bertrand as a CB?

Problem is the 3 CBs most are lining up with (Yoshida, Vestergaard, Hoedt) aren't exactly mobile, so do wonder whether Bertrand at LCB and Targett at LWB may make us more balanced, even if it looks weaker on paper.

--------- McCarthy--------------------

----------Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand--------------

Cedric--------Lemina-------Hojbjerg--------Targett

-----------------------Gabbi-------------------------

Would be how id play. Hoedt and Vestergarrd at back = no pace. Targett had a great year last season and ought to start as a wing back.

I think we'll play a number of variations on 3 at the back, depending on the game situation, probably by inverting the pyramid at times.

Goalkeeper: McCarthy will start as no1 but at some point he will get injured and never be able to recover the jersey from Gunn.

I think the only certainty will be Vestergaard, with the others rotated depending on form and the opposition. My personal preference would be Bednarek, Vestergaard, Yoshida.

Wing backs will be Cedric and Bertrand.

Midfield will switch between a single pivot and double pivot, depending on the game situation and opposition. A single pivot will probably be Romeu, with Lemina as an option. My first choice for a double pivot would be Lemina and Hojbjerg. But I would never play Hojbjerg as a single pivot.

With a double pivot in midfield, I'd play Redmond and Elyounoussi in the attacking positions. With a single pivot, I'd add Armstrong to the attack.

Gabbs up front, with Gallagher as his backup. Austin on the bench to throw on.

My ideal team:

Gunn

Bednarek Vestergaard Yoshida

Cedric Lemina Hojbjerg Bertrand

Elyounoussi Redmond

Gabbiadini

To shift this to a more attacking line-up, you could then put Armstrong on for Hojbjerg, Romeu on for Lemina to shore things up as you're shifting to the single pivot, and Gallagher on for Gabbiadini to stretch the opposition with greater pace and strength.

Call me old fashioned (Yes I know!) but I would like to see a bit of height up front....a Lambert or a Pelle....someone who can win the ball in the air, hold up the ball and play others in, as well as finding the net regularly themselves. Not too sure that Elyounoussi, Redmond or Gabbiadini offer much in the way of an aerial threat.

I don’t think we are strong enough at CB, and have far too many options in midfield to play 3 atb personally.

I can see it being a version of 4321/433 variant with the CDM dropping between the CBs to allow FB width in attack

—————-—McCarthy ——————--——

Cedric - yoshida - vestergaard - Bertrand

———————Romeu——————————

———hoijberg———armstrong—————-

—redmond——————————-Elyounoussi

———————-Gabbi———————————

Can replace Yoshida with Hoedt/Stephens if required, I personally think Yoshi is off

Gabbi for Austin/Gallagher (hopefully a new striker, we are in the market apparently)

Lemina/davis/JWP for one of the CM positions

We actually have the makings of a very good looking squad if we can keep what we have

Seriously people putting McQueen in starting line ups, Sorry but you know nothing about football if you think he starts over Bertrand at fullback/wingback or Cedric, he has no pace to play that position or premier league ability, Targett is next up with Bertrand is sold.

Depending on formation I assume Hughes will change it depending on team selection and who we are playing, but if we go 42211 I think we could do really well and score plenty of goals,

GK McCarthy

LB Bertrand

CB Vestergaard

CB Hodet

RB Bertrand

CDM Romeu

CDM Lemina

RW Redmond

LW Elyounoussi

CAM Armstrong

CF Austin.

Subs Gunn, Targett, Yoshi, JWP, Davis, Sims, Gabba.

If we go 3 5 2

Vestergaard Hoedt Yoshi

Bertand Cedric

Romeu Lemina

Elyounoussi Redmond/Armstrong

Austin.

No way we should be playing Bertrand as a LCB just to shoehorn Targett in as some are suggesting.

To play regularly, Targett needs to show he is better than Bertrand. If he can't then he shouldn't expect to play a lot.

No way we should be playing Bertrand as a LCB just to shoehorn Targett in as some are suggesting.

To play regularly, Targett needs to show he is better than Bertrand. If he can't then he shouldn't expect to play a lot.

Agree Charlie.

I'm not sure that's the thinking, it certainly isn't mine. Walker for England showed the benefits of playing a mobile full back on the side of a back 3. We have Hoedt and now Vestergaard, neither of them quick. We need pace and mobility either side of one of those and Bertrand is the natural choice on the left imo. Whether Targett is good enough at left wing back is another question though.

I'm not sure that's the thinking, it certainly isn't mine. Walker for England showed the benefits of playing a mobile full back on the side of a back 3. We have Hoedt and now Vestergaard, neither of them quick. We need pace and mobility either side of one of those and Bertrand is the natural choice on the left imo. Whether Targett is good enough at left wing back is another question though.

As you say, isn’t necessarily about playing a full back in the back three, but about having the typical qualities of a full back in one of the wide positions in the three- pace and mobility. We have no need to do that because we have Yoshida, possibly the quickest member of our squad, who also has the defensive instincts of a Centre back. Bertrand is also one of the best wing backs in the league, so it would be utterly self-defeating to lose his attacking strengths just to benefit from his pace and mobility, when we have a centre back who is already quicker than him.

If you look at our Incomings and outgoings so far- a new CB, rejecting the offer from UAE for Yoshida- this indicates that Hughes has no intention whatsoever of playing Bertrand in a back three.

Having so many defence minded players on the pitch is madness. It simply has not worked hence almost going down.

I'd go for

Mccarthy

Cedric ---Hoedt---Vester---Bertrand

----------------Romeu---------------

---------Lemina----------------------

----------------------Armstrong-----

Elyounoussi----------------------Long

---------------Austin-----------------

Basically the same system Koeman played. Romeu to cover the CB when the two full backs push forwards. Lemina and Armstrong to get the ball to the front three.