Danny Ings

Toomer

Very bad bit of business, if true.

Average in terms of ability, very poor in terms of injury record. He’s also a bit of knobhead as well.

He had the chance to join us when he moved to the victims to earn and wedge and sit on the bench.

Avoid.

If we were looking to sign Ings as our frontline striker and were prepared to pay Liverpool’s 20m asking price then it would be folly. But it is very obvious that is not the case. Hughes has been carefully constructing a squad which gives him different types of players in key positions, so he can play different games and different opposition as he sees best. Adding Ings to our strike force would simply give us another option. He is quick over ten yards, has some skill to beat a defender and, crucially, can finish. The others- Gabbiadini, Austin, Long and Gallagher- don’t have the same attributes. Things may have changed with his injuries, but this is the gamble, and will be reflected in the price. If we can get him for 10m then maybe it’s worth that gamble. Saints could be good for Ings, and Ings could be good for Saints.

Liverpool must be smoking crack if they think they will get £20 million for Ings. He’s got worse knees and a worse scoring record than £4million Austin. Bung them £3million and tell them to spend it on new bench cushions for their new substitute Shaqiri.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Ings is half decent when fully fit, I just think he’ll spend time keeping Chaz company on the physio table, leaving us with Gabbiadini, Long and Gallagher to score the goals. ( And that’s if we keep all 3.) I’d rather see that money spent on another attacking midfielder in an area we’re (imo) short on.

Very bad bit of business, if true.

Average in terms of ability, very poor in terms of injury record. He’s also a bit of knobhead as well.

He had the chance to join us when he moved to the victims to earn and wedge and sit on the bench.

Avoid.

Sums it up beautifully...we need a new striker, but not this bloke. On another striker issue...are we really going to be stuck with Shane Long for another season?

As posted on another thread:

I went to school with Ings and used to move in the same social circles to him (though I wouldn't say we were friends, just acquaintances). I spent years listening to him talk about how much he hates Saints because we rejected him. He's a cocky bastard too. The type that will say "Hey look at the funny looking tree next to my brand new car...". He'll also buy a homeless person a meal but make sure everyone knows he's doing it. Don't get me wrong, better than not doing it at all and ultimately he's a good bloke but taking all that into consideration, plus his injury record, I really don't think he'd be a good signing.

20m for a guy who has been injured for two seasons and is still unproven at the highest level would be bonkers even in the current climate! 8-10m is his absolute max even in the current dilly season of prices!
No one has suggested paying 20 million or that we are likely to. Its Liverpool's initial valuation that its incredibly unlikely we share.

As posted on another thread:

I went to school with Ings and used to move in the same social circles to him (though I wouldn't say we were friends, just acquaintances). I spent years listening to him talk about how much he hates Saints because we rejected him. He's a cocky bastard too. The type that will say "Hey look at the funny looking tree next to my brand new car...". He'll also buy a homeless person a meal but make sure everyone knows he's doing it. Don't get me wrong, better than not doing it at all and ultimately he's a good bloke but taking all that into consideration, plus his injury record, I really don't think he'd be a good signing.

Good summary.

On a semi related note, based that that (assume by same school you mean Hamble), we must know each other...

Has zero relevance to this discussion

Just evidence that the club will overpay for very average talent.

But agree zero relevance to this as its only the same club, same management and more overpriced average talent. + the Carillo catastrophe was years ago right.

Good summary.

On a semi related note, based that that (assume by same school you mean Hamble), we must know each other...

Yes! I was in there above. He used to play with us in the morning beforehand on the astro-turf. For everything I said about him being cocky, he was actually a very unselfish footballer and usually seemed quite happy to "dumb" himself down to suit our ability.

Just evidence that the club will overpay for very average talent.

But agree zero relevance to this as its only the same club, same management and more overpriced average talent. + the Carillo catastrophe was years ago right.

People and football clubs make mistakes, get over it.

Christ right bunch of moaners on here and people reckon I'm overly negative! If we pay a small sum like ten million for ings I'd give him a chance, I think there's a good chance he would be better than many think. I reckon we will do better than last year and we have a better quality in the squad already so that's good enough for me.

If we are signing 2 strikers then Ings is worth a gamble at 5-7m

If he's our only striker purchase this summer then it's another major f-up by the club.

Sign Ings and Vincent Aboubakar and sell Long and loan out Sam G = good times.

Signing Ings would smack of the same dire misjudgements that led to Austin ending up here. Fat lot of good he has been. Journeymen both, young fit and inventive they are not,

Is that the same Austin who has been our top goal scorer 2 years running, despite being out with injury for a significant part of both seasons. When fit, he is top class. Unfortunately he’s not fit enough to be relied upon and needs to be managed effectively.

Ings isn’t in the same bracket as Austin in terms of ability. I don’t think Ings would offer us anything different to what Gabbi does and IMO gabbi is a better player.

We won’t spend anywhere near £20m on him, the money isn’t my concern, it’s the fact he’s not the sort of player we need.

Is that the same Austin who has been our top goal scorer 2 years running, despite being out with injury for a significant part of both seasons. When fit, he is top class. Unfortunately he’s not fit enough to be relied upon and needs to be managed effectively.

Ings isn’t in the same bracket as Austin in terms of ability. I don’t think Ings would offer us anything different to what Gabbi does and IMO gabbi is a better player.

We won’t spend anywhere near £20m on him, the money isn’t my concern, it’s the fact he’s not the sort of player we need.

6 and 7 goals. All that proves is how hopeless the rest of our attack has been.

If we sign Ings and play him or Austin, but never both at the same time, there's a chance that their injuries will occur when the other is fit. Therefore, Ings for, say, £15m and £4m for Austin means we paid £19m for one usable striker. That's better value than £19m on one unusable striker. At least the injury double-act will score goals!

#PositiveThinking

6 and 7 goals. All that proves is how hopeless the rest of our attack has been.

I think it proves how inept and unadventurous our previous two managers have been. Defensive and non-attacking.

I feel confident that under Hughes the team will create and score more goals.

Christ right bunch of moaners on here and people reckon I'm overly negative! If we pay a small sum like ten million for ings I'd give him a chance, I think there's a good chance he would be better than many think. I reckon we will do better than last year and we have a better quality in the squad already so that's good enough for me.

Tend to agree

Signing Ings would smack of the same dire misjudgements that led to Austin ending up here. Fat lot of good he has been. Journeymen both, young fit and inventive they are not,

Ings is 25 and simply down a pecking order at a club that (as much as I hate them) did make a CL final, no wonder he couldn't get match fit, a move works for him. Before that he scored regularly for a team managed by a pragmatist.

Bit of a sweeping judgement to write him off.

Edited by Colinjb