This Seasons Captains

ozzmeister

So I believe Davis is the current club captain but may be off this summer. If that’s the case who do we believe the club and team captains should be?

Club Captain - usually an older player who has been here a while, options:

- yoshida (seems the only option to me)

Team captain - a few options here

- Bertrand (would need him to commit to staying)

- JWP (captained England under 21s)

- Romelu (right part of the pitch, seems quite vocal)

Bertrand. He was one of Hughes’ lieutenants last season; I think Hughes asked him to step up to the plate, be a leader, be more vocal, take responsibility. I sense that previously he was happy to have his say behind the scenes but rarely stepped up on the pitch. Something with Hughes changed all the because suddenly Ryan’s attitude changed on the pitch. He’s a very professional guy, took on board what he needed to do and owned the threat of relegation. Definitely should be the leader of this fresh squad.

Bertrand. He was one of Hughes’ lieutenants last season; I think Hughes asked him to step up to the plate, be a leader, be more vocal, take responsibility. I sense that previously he was happy to have his say behind the scenes but rarely stepped up on the pitch. Something with Hughes changed all the because suddenly Ryan’s attitude changed on the pitch. He’s a very professional guy, took on board what he needed to do and owned the threat of relegation. Definitely should be the leader of this fresh squad.

Agree with this. Ryan should remain as team captain.

It's not necessary to have 2 Captains, it only came about because SKD was captain and needed moving aside because he needed to be dropped (always a bad idea having a keeper as captain anyway). Steven Davis is the club captain, and have no sense he will be moving on, I think as long as Hughes intends to play him regularly he will be Captain, Yoshi as vice Captain and Bertrand as backup as was the case before after VVD left. Austin probably fancies the job as well, and showed some reasonable aptitude. Long term Stephens is being lined up.

I lack of on field leadership seems to have been an issue the last couple of seasons. Someone to organize at the back has been a problem as has having a senior pro who leads by example. Davis, Yoshida and Bertrand always seem quiet on the pitch when they've been captain.

Probably a bit leftfield but Austin seems to be popular in the squad and a good talker on the pitch always quick to offer encouragement or a rollicking when required. Of course he have to share the responsibility with someone else for half of the games in a season...