Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: Saints appoint Marieanne Spacey - Cale Head of Women's & Girl's Football

  1. #1

    Default Saints appoint Marieanne Spacey - Cale Head of Women's & Girl's Football

    https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-...en-southampton

    Massive appointment from Saints, Marieanne has been a huge 'cog' in the machine that has been progress of womens/girls football in England. Might also help with the club achieving a professional licence.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sponsored by Heisenberg
    Posts
    20,996

    Default

    Terribly cropped photo in the article. Cuts off the top of their heads!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-...en-southampton

    Massive appointment from Saints, Marieanne has been a huge 'cog' in the machine that has been progress of womens/girls football in England. Might also help with the club achieving a professional licence.
    Have you had any dealings with her Monk? I don't know much about Womens football but this appointment seems big, are you able to give us a lowdown?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,210
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Good for them. I hope they make a success of it.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    She was a brilliant player. By far the best female English footballer at that time.

  6. #6

    Default

    Never thought I'd see a summer where Martin Hunter gets more coverage & quotes than Big Les Reed!

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Reece View Post
    Have you had any dealings with her Monk? I don't know much about Womens football but this appointment seems big, are you able to give us a lowdown?
    I haven't directly other than a cup of coffee on a table of ten! Lot's of colleagues at work have worked with and under her through the women's pathway. Superb coach (just graduated from Pro Licence). Incredibly influential figure in the women's game, potentially opens up a lot of doors for Saints in terms of player/staff recruitment but mainly development of our own. We've got some incredibly talented staff in the women's programme already at Saints. This will have all the clubs paying attention to Saints - despite not having a licence *yet.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Thanks for the information Monk. Saints are really raising their game here and I presume with the aim of getting the licence after the recent disappointment.

    Don't think we've got any girls worth poaching in my club, but it's exciting for the game in Hampshire to have such a local professional centre. I'd love to play on the Staplewood pitches!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    25,796

    Default

    Saints have a large area to recruit from.
    All the way down into Devon and Cornwall, SFC girls training/clubs are there

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    8,858

    Default

    This is a very progressive move. Well done Saints. PS my 9 year old daughter is pretty nifty...

  11. #11

    Default

    I thought our application for a women's team was rejected or something.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    I thought our application for a women's team was rejected or something.
    It was, however some clubs who originally believed they could operate at that level have since withdrawn their application.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cottingham
    Posts
    7,881

    Default

    She was massive name in Women's football, long before it became professional. The equivalent of Hampshire having Charlotte Edwards.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    This is a very progressive move. Well done Saints. PS my 9 year old daughter is pretty nifty...
    In May next year the club will hold open trials for the girls academy. They do it each year - competition is tough especially once you reach 10+ as your daughter would need to be better than one of the girls already in the academy - its not good enough to be'good enough' - she needs to be better. Still, worth a punt though and good experience either way.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I haven't directly other than a cup of coffee on a table of ten! Lot's of colleagues at work have worked with and under her through the women's pathway. Superb coach (just graduated from Pro Licence). Incredibly influential figure in the women's game, potentially opens up a lot of doors for Saints in terms of player/staff recruitment but mainly development of our own. We've got some incredibly talented staff in the women's programme already at Saints. This will have all the clubs paying attention to Saints - despite not having a licence *yet.
    Saints to be first to appoint a female first team coach?

  16. #16

    Default

    I would hope to see Saints women get one of the two slots available in the new second tier following the withdrawal of Sheffield and Doncaster teams.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    Saints to be first to appoint a female first team coach?
    I thought Everton had a monopoly on footballing firsts?

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,210
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St_Tel49 View Post
    Saints to be first to appoint a female first team coach?
    Would most likely do better than Mope

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifter View Post
    Still, worth a punt though and good experience either way.
    Absolutely this. It will show what is available as you progress, none of which was around 40 years ago. I'm vicariously excited about the opportunities, so get out there in the back garden with a football tonight, DT. :-)


    Incidentally, I was watching one of the videos with MSC inside the dome at Staplewood with some of the girls practising in the background. More control than I've ever had!

  20. #20

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    I thought Everton had a monopoly on footballing firsts?
    Lo and behold...


  22. Default

    No interest in women's football whatsoever. It's substandard in every way. Would sooner watch a local men's village team.

  23. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golac's Cunning Stunts View Post
    No interest in women's football whatsoever. It's substandard in every way. Would sooner watch a local men's village team.
    Agreed. Not for me. The coverage it's getting is way out of proportion. But anyway, good luck to them

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Was Horsham, now York
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davefoggy View Post
    Agreed. Not for me. The coverage it's getting is way out of proportion. But anyway, good luck to them
    https://youtu.be/Tv0ueEI4OBQ

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golac's Cunning Stunts View Post
    No interest in women's football whatsoever. It's substandard in every way. Would sooner watch a local men's village team.
    If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

    Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    25,796

    Default Saints appoint Marieanne Spacey - Cale Head of Women's & Girl's Football

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

    Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.
    LOL

    Good luck to Southampton ladies (do they even exist)?

    But letís all agree, ladies football is of an appalling standard given the coverage it gets

  27. #27

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    27,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

    Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.
    I got quite into woman's football a few years back and really enjoyed it. A few years back I was on holiday in Italy and a local women's team we're playing so we decided to watch the game with my son and niece. It was quite decent with two teams of a reasonable standard. However the one thing that ruined it for me was a foul mouthed English woman playing for one of the teams. Not only was she a rubbish player way off the pace of the others, she constantly swore and abused the other players whilst strutting round the pitch with an obnoxious, haughty, arrogant attitude appearing the think she was a cross between mother Theresa and the female Eric Cantona. My niece, who was 7 at the time and playing football for a local kids team decided there and then that football wasn't for her and she still talks now of the "horrible woman" who put her off football for life. Shame as it would be good for young girls to have some decent role models.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

    Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.
    And everyone who says that is correct. Evidence:

    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...U-15-boys.html

    Personally I’d rather we didn’t waste money investing in the women’s game, but I suppose if we are going to then we may as well give it a good go.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Lo and behold...

    Palace fans not happy on twitter, apparently they've been doing this for years!

    Horrible club.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    That's a bit of a coup getting someone of Marieanne's calibre and profile to the club. She could probably still show Shane Long a thing or two about finishing!.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    37

    Default

    The girls team that my daughter plays for keeps beating the boys teams of their age group, with the coaching they are getting there is no argument at grass roots level that the standard of football for girls can be compatible to that of boys. At the professional level the game is years behind the mens but that is due to the attitudes towards the game. The quality is improving all the time and there is a market for the game so I am happy to support it especially if my daughter one day can play for our beloved saints and who knows one day for england

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At my desk.
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    I see there are some supportive dads on here, and others who have been so blinded by the professional game that they don't seem to appreciate that sport is enjoying yourself, enjoying the challenge and trying to improve. Do you tell your daughters not to bother in other walks of life too, "because you'll never be as good"? The 19th century called and wants their attitudes back. For all the talk about 'investment' at these higher levels the money involved is peanuts: a week's pay for Zaha, shared use of decent facilities.

    The reality for most amateur teams is scrabbling around to get matching kit, decent practice balls, access to all weather training facilities, coaches who have had some training and a little shovel to clear away the dog sh*t. It's enthusiasm for the game that we share: at one stage I was training twice a week, travelling hours and not necessarily getting off the bench - unfortunately getting slightly better technically coincided with getting a lot slower!

    Forgive me if all this negativity makes me feel a little weary. But at least some of the attitudes here don't surprise: some names you just know the attitude they're going to have on any particular subject, and they rarely disappoint.

    This is a subject that obviously and directly interests me: why some of you are here gawd only knows..

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    25,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    I see there are some supportive dads on here, and others who have been so blinded by the professional game that they don't seem to appreciate that sport is enjoying yourself, enjoying the challenge and trying to improve. Do you tell your daughters not to bother in other walks of life too, "because you'll never be as good"? The 19th century called and wants their attitudes back. For all the talk about 'investment' at these higher levels the money involved is peanuts: a week's pay for Zaha, shared use of decent facilities.

    The reality for most amateur teams is scrabbling around to get matching kit, decent practice balls, access to all weather training facilities, coaches who have had some training and a little shovel to clear away the dog sh*t. It's enthusiasm for the game that we share: at one stage I was training twice a week, travelling hours and not necessarily getting off the bench - unfortunately getting slightly better technically coincided with getting a lot slower!

    Forgive me if all this negativity makes me feel a little weary. But at least some of the attitudes here don't surprise: some names you just know the attitude they're going to have on any particular subject, and they rarely disappoint.

    This is a subject that obviously and directly interests me: why some of you are here gawd only knows..
    why does not thinking ladies football is anything good mean you have an 'attitude'
    I cannot stand Rugby League. Does that mean I hate northerners?

  34. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    And everyone who says that is correct. Evidence:

    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...U-15-boys.html

    Personally I’d rather we didn’t waste money investing in the women’s game, but I suppose if we are going to then we may as well give it a good go.
    I’d be interested to hear why you think Saints would be wasting money in investing in women’s football. From what I read there are significant commercial opportunities in developing women’s football which is one of the reasons why PL clubs have invested. Sponsors see women’s football as a wholesome brand. The more investment going into women’s football the better the standards will be, the more exposure it will get, the greater the sponsorship. Women make up 50% of the world’s population. Seems like a potentially vast largely untapped brand. Not for the first time Saints appear to have been a little slow to recognise commercial opportunities but this appointment may address that.

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,210
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    If people want to spend their time creating and supporting a women's football team related to Southampton then they are entirely free to do so and I hope they are successful. I'm not sure why anyone would be opposed to it as long as it doesn't have any impact on Southampton FC.

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,210
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I got quite into woman's football a few years back and really enjoyed it. A few years back I was on holiday in Italy and a local women's team we're playing so we decided to watch the game with my son and niece. It was quite decent with two teams of a reasonable standard. However the one thing that ruined it for me was a foul mouthed English woman playing for one of the teams. Not only was she a rubbish player way off the pace of the others, she constantly swore and abused the other players whilst strutting round the pitch with an obnoxious, haughty, arrogant attitude appearing the think she was a cross between mother Theresa and the female Eric Cantona. My niece, who was 7 at the time and playing football for a local kids team decided there and then that football wasn't for her and she still talks now of the "horrible woman" who put her off football for life. Shame as it would be good for young girls to have some decent role models.
    Massive lol.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,210
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    And everyone who says that is correct. Evidence:

    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...U-15-boys.html

    Personally Iíd rather we didnít waste money investing in the womenís game, but I suppose if we are going to then we may as well give it a good go.
    I'm perfectly happy with it as long as its coming out of our charitable budget or something saints foundation related.

  38. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    If I had a quid for every guy who made the effort to come onto a thread about women's football and say they were not interested and/or it's substandard I'd be paying for my season ticket in bags of coins and not by credit card, which my statement reminded me of in the post this morning.

    Let's just posit that GCS is a fat c***, and he may even acknowledge the fact. I go into the pub and make an express effort to go up to him and tell him he's a fat ****. Nah. Just keep quiet, in neither case are the comments helpful, needed or wanted.
    You'll be glad to know I'm not fat. I go to the gym 5 days a week and am very fit. Why the need to use the word c-u-n-t? Can't control yourself on a forum?

  39. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,210
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golac's Cunning Stunts View Post
    You'll be glad to know I'm not fat. I go to the gym 5 days a week and am very fit. Why the need to use the word c-u-n-t? Can't control yourself on a forum?
    Or on the football field...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •