Would Morgan Schneiderlin now be a World Cup winner if he’d have stayed at Saints?

saintmatt

I accept France have a wealth of talent in his position, but who’s to say his development, or perceived ability, would not have warranted at least a place in the squad?

I wonder what Morgan is thinking now too. I believe his debut- and most of his appearances- were on our watch after all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even in his pomp the only player in their squad he could've hoped to edge out would be Nzonzi, and assuming they picked him in part because of his physical presence (he's 6'6) I doubt it. All old news now, but none of the French people I used to work with thought Schneiderlin was anything to write home about.

I remember being at Wembley to see England beat France 2-0 in 2015, when they had Manchester United's Schneiderlin in their team. He was never a top international player and wouldn't have been good enough for their current team, whichever club he played for. If he'd been good enough to keep his place at Manchester United, he might have been good enough to keep his place for France but he wasn't.

One of the many players who left who have gone downhill since leaving Southampton.

Morgan is probably regretting his moves he never really made it anywhere else and I am sure we can name all of those who are in the same predicament.

Next one downhill, Van Dijk.

One of the many players who left who have gone downhill since leaving Southampton.

Morgan is probably regretting his moves he never really made it anywhere else and I am sure we can name all of those who are in the same predicament.

Next one downhill, Van Dijk.

It's a shame really as the team he played in was better than the individual parts. All those players who moved on haven't really fulfilled their potential, pobably because they were not as good as they thought they were....but I am sure their money more than compensates!

Really it's all about Pochettino and his guys. A lot of players who showed exceptional form under his methods have just faded away.

Morgan would probably have gone on to better things if he'd gone to Spurs in 2014 at the start of heir upturn.

Other than that no, he'd not have done any better by staying with Saints, on the international front anyway.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Not now thank you, we've moved on and he's moved down
Don't you mean we've moved down and he's moved down?! We can hardly be too smug about the direction we've been heading in for past couple of seasons.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

All ifs and buts. Personally I think if he was a regular Premier League starter and playing at the level we used to enjoy at St Mary's, there's every reason to think he would still be a regular in their squad.

It is a shame it didn't work out for him, but it's difficult to be too sympathetic either. I do wonder whether players like him, Lallana etc will look back when they are old and wonder if they could have achieved legendary status with us? Appreciate they've had a go at a big club, and presumably made some good money doing so, but I think they might have expected a lot more by moving from Saints.

All ifs and buts. Personally I think if he was a regular Premier League starter and playing at the level we used to enjoy at St Mary's, there's every reason to think he would still be a regular in their squad.

It is a shame it didn't work out for him, but it's difficult to be too sympathetic either. I do wonder whether players like him, Lallana etc will look back when they are old and wonder if they could have achieved legendary status with us? Appreciate they've had a go at a big club, and presumably made some good money doing so, but I think they might have expected a lot more by moving from Saints.

I don't think any of them will. The counter argument is, had they stayed with us, would they have regretted not trying to maximise their careers?

Sportspeople at that level all have a certain amount of self belief, which some will interpret as arrogance, in their abilities. That's one of the things that gets them where they are. Most will try to play at the highest level they can (or best club in this case), there are very few Le Tissier's out there who have other priorities.

At the absolute peak of his performances for us, he only made the 2014 French squad as a standby after Grenier was injured and only made 8 starts across the 2.5 years he was in the squad. Deschamps clearly never really rated him.

To be fair, Morgs thrived under Pochettino. Had he followed Poch to Spurs during that summer of discontent, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have improved further and probably kept a place in the France squad. Of all the great things that Poch was, he is a brilliant coach. Morgs staying that extra year when he was clearly unhappy, though good for us, probably stifled him a little bit. I think the same maybe goes for Fonte's blocked move to United after he won the Euros.

Taking the saints glasses off i think you'd have to say no - he went to United which should have been the catalyst for his career really. If he goes in at United, nails down a starter spot and excels at one of the world's biggest clubs, then he proves he can cut it and is almost certainly still in the French squad.

For whatever reason he failed, hasnt recpatured his form at Everton either and is rightly not in the squad. if he stayed with us, and even maintained his levels, others at 'bigger clubs' would likely have overtaken him anyway. Kante for example, i dont think was on the french scene when Morgan last was.

Has Morgan actually played for France since he left us?

Think so, I remember him being on the pitch a at the time of the 2015 bombings so that would have been on 13th November thus after he moved to Utd. Played against England a couple of days afterwards as well.

Edited by Window Cleaner