Derby v Saints (Friendly) - Match Thread

trousers

Every single season. Win and it's just a friendly. Lose and it's utter doom.

I've seen us be great, average and awful in pre season over 25 years. It's basically never had any correlation to the season ahead.

yep you said the same last season even when it was obvious we had some serious issues and Mope was a serious downgrade on Puel in pre-season. The results aren't important but the manner of performances are. the performances of Hoedt and Stephens are a major concern as was lack of service to the forwards and our inability to control midfield.

yep you said the same last season even when it was obvious we had some serious issues and Mope was a serious downgrade on Puel in pre-season. The results aren't important but the manner of performances are. the performances of Hoedt and Stephens are a major concern as was lack of service to the forwards and our inability to control midfield.

Only Pellegrino was holding us back from a similar league finish as previous seasons. Nowt wrong with the squad according to adrian.

Edited by shurlock

Hmmm, bit of a reality check that!

Probably a good thing at this stage as reinforces the need for more quality to be brought in attack wise.

Also a reminder to Hughes if he needed it that Hoedt and Stephens are not good enough as starters if we want to improve this season.

Results might not matter in pre-season but performances do and this has been awful from start to finish. I’m not convinced we have the players to fit the formation.

This far out the only thing that matters is fitness. Derby are probably ahead of us in this respect as their season starts a week earlier. Nobody I know gives a flying **** about preseason, performances or results. I guess Sky are diving it, but I don’t recall much interest in pre season before the premier league. Still at least the planks on here have had the opportunity to practise their moaning before the real thing starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nail on the head Doddi

We still don't seem to have any stand out players just a squad of average PL players.

We need a top class CBack and CForward

I got slaughtered for suggesting that Vestergaard plus Hoedt would be a car crash in a back 3. Our players aren't suited to our system and are being shoe horned in. We need to shift to 433 or 4231.

I got slaughtered for suggesting that Vestergaard plus Hoedt would be a car crash in a back 3. Our players aren't suited to our system and are being shoe horned in. We need to shift to 433 or 4231.

So leave out Hoedt and Stephens and play Yoshida and Jan Bednarek its not the formation its the fact Hoedt and Stephens are total turd.

1) It was only an early pre-season friendly, but Derby just looked more up for it than we did.

2) Apart from his obvious glaring error for the first goal, I thought Vestergaard looked pretty good at the back and up front. He was talking a lot too, which i like.

3) Redmond and Mo looked good in the first half - something to build on. Charlie ran around a lot.

4) Lemina was either unfit or simply couldn't be arsed. Has the potential to offer so much more. Midfield was a bit of a mystery the whole game.

5) Jack Stephens has (ahem) had better days.

6) I quite liked the brief look at Sam Gallagher when he came on - he's got something about him.

We draw against the runners up in the Bundersliga and it's a "we played okay" we lose against a championship side and it's suddenly relegation.

Friendlies are just that - a chance for players to blend in and learn a system, sometimes like with all games it works, sometimes it doesn't - and sometimes it is the kick up the arse the team need.

We thrashed St Etienne in a friendly under MOPO too, let's not read too much into them.

Derby were always likely to be more "up for it"

Lampard is a manager with lots to prove

Home game against Premiership side - want to show the fans that their value for money

Not missing players from World Cup like we were with defenders (Yoshi/Bednarek)

Hughes will find a system that works and bed in our new signings, we're still three signings away, we need a striker, a pacy winger and wingback to cover Cedric.

We draw against the runners up in the Bundersliga and it's a "we played okay" we lose against a championship side and it's suddenly relegation.

Friendlies are just that - a chance for players to blend in and learn a system, sometimes like with all games it works, sometimes it doesn't - and sometimes it is the kick up the arse the team need.

We thrashed St Etienne in a friendly under MOPO too, let's not read too much into them.

Derby were always likely to be more "up for it"

Lampard is a manager with lots to prove

Home game against Premiership side - want to show the fans that their value for money

Not missing players from World Cup like we were with defenders (Yoshi/Bednarek)

Hughes will find a system that works and bed in our new signings, we're still three signings away, we need a striker, a pacy winger and wingback to cover Cedric.

And we played poorly in that game.

Why is that we have the same players making the same mistakes -and it’s dismissed as irrelevant because on this occasion it’s happened in preseason rather than the actual season?

Edited by shurlock

And we played poorly in that game.

Why is that we have the same players making the same mistakes -and it’s dismissed as a blip in a meaningless game?

even the goals we let slip over in China, they were mostly stupid defensive errors. Nothing has changed (so far) from last season

even the goals we let slip over in China, they were mostly stupid defensive errors. Nothing has changed (so far) from last season

You could almost justify things if the defensive errors were somehow different - but in many cases they’re a carbon copy of the errors we saw not only last season but also the season before that.

Fine Bednarek and Yoshida still have to come in; but it’s pretty telling that we’re now looking at them as key pieces to the squad.

Was at the game and we were pretty much second best for the whole of the 90 minutes. All of the faults have been highlighted in many of the posts prior to this, we were very slow all over the pitch and not physically strong either. The amount of times that a ball was simply flicked around the corner for their runners was amazing - that's all it took for them to get in. We were weak in..., actually thinking about it we were weak all over the park, and our attacking intent (intent may not be a very good word) was minimal.

People have referenced the Augsburg friendly from last season, I was at that game as well and came away thinking that we were going to be in for a long hard season - and so it proved right. I know we still have lots of friendlies to play - but I'm of exactly the same impression - we are not very good at all.

New guys, Moi tried hard, showed little glimpses, almost a clone of Tadic but not sure that he's as good. Jan, mistake for the goal, you either take the ball, the player or both, or you get punished. Won corners in the box (as you would expect), attempt at goal and another headed down but nobody gambled.

As I said, pretty poor all round, but hopefully we have time to sort it out. Not going to get too downhearted just yet - but from here, the only way has to be up.

Looks like we are aiming for 17th again.

Did you apply the same "logic" after we drew with the 2nd best German team two weeks ago?

It is pre-season, results are meaningless. They don't replicate league conditions as the are massively disjointed by large numbers of subs and players aren't motivated to perform in the same manner as a competitive game.

Edited by Matthew Le God

This far out the only thing that matters is fitness. Derby are probably ahead of us in this respect as their season starts a week earlier. Nobody I know gives a flying **** about preseason, performances or results. I guess Sky are diving it, but I don’t recall much interest in pre season before the premier league. Still at least the planks on here have had the opportunity to practise their moaning before the real thing starts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree that fitness is the most important thing. That said, if we play like that in the next 2/3 I think it’ll be cause to be worried. Hopefully just a chance to try some different things out.

If we play the season with Hoedt and Stephens we will go down. 100 percent. Anyone who thinks Stephens is a good is insane, been saying it since his loan days. Can’t head and to casual on the ball. Ship him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Stephens, i think he is decent. And does a good enough job. Never realised i was insane until now

Did any of the moaners notice that wasn’t Saints’ first XI? It was a kick about using 20 different players. Hard to understand why some people follow our club when they dislike so much about it.
This. Think the trolls are peaking too early.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Did you apply the same "logic" after we drew with the 2nd best German team two weeks ago?

It is pre-season, results are meaningless. They don't replicate league conditions as the are massively disjointed by large numbers of subs and players aren't motivated to perform in the same manner as a competitive game.

Deja vu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk