Derby v Saints (Friendly) - Match Thread

trousers

Saints poor so far. Sloppy passing between back 5 and midfield and Austin extremely isolated. Hoedt dreadful on the ball.

Personally I don't think we suit the 5-3-2 from an attacking perspective, especially when the wing backs are JWP and Targett.

Once all our CBs are back and available then surely Bertrand switches to LWB.

Armstrong doesn't look suited to the deeper role.

Saints poor so far. Sloppy passing between back 5 and midfield and Austin extremely isolated. Hoedt dreadful on the ball.

Personally I don't think we suit the 5-3-2 from an attacking perspective, especially when the wing backs are JWP and Targett.

still lack obvious pace

I do worry if Hughes is too wedded to this system. Needs must and, fair play, he got us over the line - just - last season. Stoke were a disorganised mess when we played them when they were under him, though.

it would work better with the right personnel. Bertrand is wasted as a CB, Romeu should be sitting with Lemina , Cedric will offer more than JWP and ideally Stephens and Hoedt should be on the bench.

But Hoedt is young therefore guaranteed to improve according to many :lol:

I reckon that as Derby are charging for the stream, they won't give free access to Saints Player, as it may cut their income

Saints were selling away tickets too so you may be correct. Perhaps we will be let in free at half time:)

Well....

The good news is the players in the back three today possibly won't be playing come Burnley. Stephens is just poor, Hoedt is weak, and Bertrand will be out wide. Yoshi, Jannik, Bednarek, with Bertrand and Cedric will make a huge difference. I thought JWP and Targett were poor too. I don't know completely what was going on in midfield, but it just seemed like Derby were running through them. I don't know if Hughes is trying out a new scheme (which isn't working), or if Armstrong just isn't that good. I thought Mo, Redmond, and Austin were ok, nothing too exciting but its hard when the the other 7 are defending most of the time. McCarthy was really good, the best player on the pitch.

Thats the way I see it, I'm sure others will see it completely different

I do worry if Hughes is too wedded to this system. Needs must and, fair play, he got us over the line - just - last season. Stoke were a disorganised mess when we played them when they were under him, though.

How’s the book pal?