Predictions for the season

whelk

To go full Sunderland we need to sack Hughes in late September. Part of Sunderland's problem was they would sack a manager every season bring in a new one who would then want his own signings and not the ones brought in by the last manager.

if we lost the first 6 games, conceding a few and not scoring many, our board would sit on its hands I suspect

you do know 13 teams in the PL failed to score more than they let in last season don't you?

Yes, is called positive / negative goal difference.

What I actually meant was during individual games. I can see us needing to score 2 just to get a point or holding out for many 1- 0 with the current squad.

Manchester clubs to finish first and second, again

Neither Liverpool or Spurs to win anything, again

Saints to finish 9th-11th

Leicester and Puel to finish above Saints, again

Saints to be the highest placed southcoast club, again

Cardiff, Watford and Brighton to go down

Strange one this season, in the sense I don't really know what to expect from us this year, but I'm not expecting too much. Style of play, even formation wise I think there's question marks.

I'd imagine probably 12th-15th depending if we have a good start or not and if our new guys make a decent impact. We were so dreadful last year, one win in six months and still stayed up, so not worried about that side of things.

Elsewhere, I'm going for Cardiff, Watford & Huddersfield to go down.

Winners: City

CL: Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea

EL: Tottenham, Man Utd

Saints: 12th

Relegated: Watford, Huddersfield, Cardiff,

Golden Boot: Kane

First sacked: Puel (Gracia a close second..)

Random pick: Mourinho to leave Man Utd by July 1st

A bit on the sack race Jose an early favorite to get the elbow along with Warnock, Garcia and err Hughes...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-sack-race-odds-13003034

Don't think Hughes is that bad a suggestion, to be honest.

Felt like after keeping us up and the problems of replacing him coupled with a shorter window + World Cup, made sense to keep him to reduce any time needed to assess the squad.

But it feels like it's a marriage of convenience; certainly if Saints were looking for a new manager, I doubt Hughes would've been right there top of the list ticking every box. So if it doesn't start well then, after being slated for keeping Pellegrino well beyond when he should've gone, perhaps the panic may set in...

Don't think Hughes is that bad a suggestion, to be honest.

Felt like after keeping us up and the problems of replacing him coupled with a shorter window + World Cup, made sense to keep him to reduce any time needed to assess the squad.

But it feels like it's a marriage of convenience; certainly if Saints were looking for a new manager, I doubt Hughes would've been right there top of the list ticking every box. So if it doesn't start well then, after being slated for keeping Pellegrino well beyond when he should've gone, perhaps the panic may set in...

Yeah, looking without Saints tinted specs, often it seems that managers that just keep their sides up the previous season often go the next.

Yeah, looking without Saints tinted specs, often it seems that managers that just keep their sides up the previous season often go the next.

Two different roles aren't they, really? He's been a firefighter this time, but you don't ask your firefighter to come in and redecorate the living room after the fire's all been put out...

Maybe I'm wrong; certainly his track record suggests someone who comes in and builds over 2-3 years, but just have a gut feeling he won't be here start of next preseason.

I reckon that had Mark Hughes been in charge all season, instead of the clown for most of it, he would not have only just kept Saints up. We would have been around 12th, that is my feeling.

• 2 months later...

Couldn’ find the relegation prediction thread.

Palace got a terrible run of games. Fulham can’t defend.

Still think Huddersfield and Cardiff have gone.

Newcastle if rumours that Benitez might be off then that is us safe.

Couldn’ find the relegation prediction thread.

Palace got a terrible run of games. Fulham can’t defend.

Still think Huddersfield and Cardiff have gone.

Newcastle if rumours that Benitez might be off then that is us safe.

Depends if Mike Ashley recruits Big Sam for the LOLS. I know I would if I was him.

Two different roles aren't they, really? He's been a firefighter this time, but you don't ask your firefighter to come in and redecorate the living room after the fire's all been put out...

Maybe I'm wrong; certainly his track record suggests someone who comes in and builds over 2-3 years, but just have a gut feeling he won't be here start of next preseason.

Most fire fighters moonlight, a lot of them are sparkies, plumbers and decorators. So theres a good chance that would happen.

Anyway Hughes isnt a fire fighter manager, hes had long term jobs. Hes just not good enough.

• 2 months later...
After a 2 year break will we beat a top 6 side in the league again?

Check

Saints "fans" will continue obsession(s) with past saints players

Saints "fans" will continue obsession(s) with Liverpool, Everton and WHU

Saints "fans" will continue obsession(s) with Puel, Silva and Mopo

Check

I doubt it. Leicester have 4-5 of the best players outside the top 6 clubs and will /should comfortable finish top 10.

It won't be pretty or exciting but I think even Pellegrino could get that squad into top 10 or better.

Check

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

So, after today's showing I am going to nail my colours to the mast and predict with high confidence that we will be safe from relegation this season.

We've got 13 points from 8 games since Ralph took over, which is just over 1.6 points per game. If we can maintain that form over the remaining 15 games (and there's no reason to believe we won't, given our favourable upcoming fixtures) then that will take us to 46 points, which is the same as we got under Puel when we finished 8th.

Is it outside the realms of possibility we could finish in the top half still? 10th place is currently occupied by West Ham on 31 points with a GD of -4. And they lost today to a Bournemouth side who have been in terrible form of late.

• 5 months later...
Can be anything not just Saints.

Think Chelsea will be poor and Sarri won’t last.

Puel won’t last long either.

Armstrong to prove to be a huge bargain.

Brexit won’t happen

Sort of 3 out of 4