Barca or Madrid

Give it to Ron

As long as it's not a really big game (local derby, el Classico, Champs League knock-out etc.) it should be pretty easy to buy tickets in town a couple of days before or at the very least to order online in advance. Sometimes ordering online can be a bit hit and miss because they sell "returned" season tickets so availability can appear where previously the seats looked sold. I would imagine that booking flights and tickets separately would work out a lot cheaper than using a package operator but it's worth checking just in case you can find a bargain. It would partly depend how easy it is for you to access a budget-airline operating airport.

Both Nou Camp and Bernabeu are brilliant. Nou Camp for the sheer scale and Bernabeu for the way they pack the tiers of the ground in on top of the other - it's quite an intense layout. I'd also recommend doing the stadium tours.

Both grounds easy to get to on metro system.

Both cities great places to spend a few days.

Madrid is less touristy and probably a bit cheaper when you're there but you can do Barcelona without spending a fortune as well.

Obviously each place has its own non-footballing virtues too (such as the Gaudi architecture in Barcelona, the museums and government buildings in Madrid etc.)

Hard to choose really! I'm sure you'd have a great time in either. I'd decide when you want to go then see who has the better fixtures then and which flights are most convenient and decide based on that.

I prefer Madrid for a fly in fly out. Barcelona is very touristy and pretty grubby in a lot of places. but if you're going for longer Barcelona is well placed for the Pyrenees, beach resorts and Portaventura. You can even drive there in about 10 ten hours if you fancy a road trip. Valencia is great city for a more left field option.

I promised my lad if he got good uni grades we would do a trip and take in a game - anyone been?

Which is better city, beer, ease of tickets?

Did you book as package of fly in and get on day of game of from OS online ?

Any tips best part of ground - value?

What grades does he have to get?