Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Josh Sims

Quote Originally Posted by St Chalet View Post
    It’s a really fair point. If we’d have spunked £10m+ on him he’d have had more of a shot.
    Without checking, I’d say Sims has played more minutes for us than Moi.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I can say for certain that he [Sims] produced more attacking threat against Spurs than Moi has in all of his appearances.

He was outstanding against Spuds but it appears he still has a lot to do to convince some of the doubters on here.

Think he's always looked decent when given the chance. Then again, I always thought Hesketh looked even better, so maybe I wear rose tinted glasses when it comes to how good our academy players are?

He was outstanding against Totthenham. Ralph will have been very impressed by his contribution. Has a big role to play now. Happy Birthday Simsy

Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Think he's always looked decent when given the chance. Then again, I always thought Hesketh looked even better, so maybe I wear rose tinted glasses when it comes to how good our academy players are?
    No, i think you're right. Lots of our academy players have failed to make it, but the 2 you have mentioned are technically v v good - hugely talented players. They just have to stay injury free and work hard.

7. Default

Fair play to the lad. Impact performance.

More of the same, please.

Yep, another decent performance from him. More of the same please.

9. Default

Once he becomes more composed in front of goal (which I'm sure will come with more game time) he's going to turn into a key player for us next season (IMO).

Sims seems to have what it takes to be an impact player: blazing speed, good touch, awareness of the players around him, decent passing. Pity he didn't score today, but he was key to our first two goals, and if he can add the odd goal to his game, he'll be an important player for us.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Really pleased for him. Some of the dinlos writing him off on here based on a loan spell at a basket case of a club (reading) need to have a look at themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Once he becomes more composed in front of goal (which I'm sure will come with more game time) he's going to turn into a key player for us next season (IMO).
    I agree with you.

It's frustrating that we loaned him out to get some match experience, but he didn't really get it. With hindsight he was always unlikely to get much time in a league where physical stature counts for a lot.

He's a really thoughtful, intelligent player who reads most situations very well, and his shortcomings seem more related to lack of experience and maturity.

13. Default

Started really well but went missing after that chance. Glad to see he's getting a go, though. Expect that to continue once we're safe.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Really pleased for him. Some of the dinlos writing him off on here based on a loan spell at a basket case of a club (reading) need to have a look at themselves.
    I'm not into calling people "dinlos" but, yep, quite a few on here who couldn't grasp the concept that a good player can 'fail' when loaned to the 'wrong' club.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    Started really well but went missing after that chance. Glad to see he's getting a go, though. Expect that to continue once we're safe.
    Don't think he went missing; more that until Romeu came on, Wolves were streaming through our midfield and Redmond, Ings and Sims saw little of the ball. Having said that, bringing Long on at the same time as Romeu was a good move the midfield was strengthened and Long's energy and harassing of tiring players steadied and then turned things around. Sims showed plenty of quality and it's good that Ralph has seen what he can do - he will get better with more game time and confidence.

Sims is a great prospect. Once he's got his first Premier League, there will be no stopping him.

Think he has done great so far! Credit to Ralph for having the balls to field and develop our youth players. More of the same please.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

Not sure if this is a typo, I've misunderstood or what but no, he hasn't.

Moi = 701 mins
    Sims = 136 this season and 509 in total.

Stats according to fotmob.

I wrote him off after his failed loan at Reading.

Lucky that Ralph has forgotten more about the game than I know!

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Garrett View Post

Good of you to admit that at least. Most would stay quiet!

21. Default

Working in Basingstoke, I get feedback from the Reading fans. He got games early in the season, but as soon as their season went pear shaped, the manager wanted to play defensive so he was either omitted or told to just keep possession in games. We all know he is an attacking runner and passer, so Reading's style was all wrong for his game. The Reading fans follow his games with us and wish they still had him.

But why? Did you watch him play there?

So many people seem to do this. Good players can have bad spells in places. Some might never recover, some do. Sims always had a lot of talent the club has messed up (or previous managers) not including him. He honestly should have 50 games under his best at least and be Redmond's standard by now.

23. Default

He needs to kick on from here though and really establish himself in the first team, he's had little cameos in the team before where he's looked really promising but has then fallen out of the picture.

Kind of player we have needed for a long time, with pace, work rate and ability to beat a man.

I feel that with Sims as a starter you lose quite a bit of control and as he is quite raw and often doesn't do the basics particularly well.

Yesterday it was a good tactical decision to start him as Wolves wing backs play high and their CBs are slow so he got in good positions down the sides of their centre backs.

I doubt he will start at Newcastle or Watford though,as we will probably go for the extra midfielder - which we massively lacked yesterday at times. We only gained control of the game once Romeu came on.

Personal opinion is that over the course of a sample more than one game, Sims will make a better sub than starter, especially away from home.

Also whilst he played well, he absolutely fluffed a very presentable chance that could have made the game virtually safe by HT, didnt hit the target with another good chance and also failed to play in Ings for a tap in.

He has many good attributes but IMO lacks composure which will ultimately hold him back a bit as a starter unless he develops it, which he may well do.

Great sub option though for next year and far better than Elyounoussi.

25. Default

Sims is an ideal Ralph / Poch type young player, who Ralph can teach what he expects him to do , and mould him into a decent player.
    Mo is an established player with too many bad habits, set in his ways. Since Poch we have lacked a football coach with the ability to teach and improve young players in what has become known as The Southampton Way.

How much did we / are we ****ing up the wall on the transfer fees and wages for Boufal and Elyonoussi when all the time we had Sims (on about 20k per week)? Must be over £40m.

Shame, really, that it's taken until now to get him into the first-team picture on (hopefully) a longer-term basis. He is 22, after all, so can't really be considered a 'young prospect' in the same way that the likes of Valery or Slattery are.

Ditto, although my assessment was also based on seeing him play for us, both in the 1st team and reserves/u23's before and after that Reading spell. I didn't see a premier league player in him but in his matches under RH he's done well. What's surprised me is how he seems to have time on the ball and use it intelligently - he took his time before his ball in for Redmond's first and he put it on a plate.

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    He has many good attributes but IMO lacks composure which will ultimately hold him back a bit as a starter unless he develops it, which he may well do.
    Bit of a catch 22 perhaps? The more game time he gets (i.e. in the starting 11) the quicker he is likely to develop said composure?

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Bit of a catch 22 perhaps? The more game time he gets (i.e. in the starting 11) the quicker he is likely to develop said composure?
    Possibly. Although some players never do. See Shane Long.

I detect quite a lot of unwarranted negativity about Sims based on the caveats and faint praise afforded by most posters on this thread. Let us please give the lad a chance to show what he can do. Maybe we have another Lallana on our hands, he certainly looks pretty good to me based on what we've ha dot endure here in the last few years.

Lets just enjoy watching Sims improve under RK. They're a match made in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post

So many people seem to do this. Good players can have bad spells in places. Some might never recover, some do. Sims always had a lot of talent the club has messed up (or previous managers) not including him. He honestly should have 50 games under his best at least and be Redmond's standard by now.
    My reasoning was that if he couldn’t make it in a struggling team in an inferior league, he wouldn’t have a chance here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Possibly. Although some players never do. See Shane Long.
    Yawn!! he`s doing ok at the moment isnt he

Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    Yawn!! he`s doing ok at the moment isnt he
    Yes he has done well in the last two games (less so over the last two years), but he is a great example of an attacking player who has never added composure to his game despite years of coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by once_bitterne View Post
    How much did we / are we ****ing up the wall on the transfer fees and wages for Boufal and Elyonoussi when all the time we had Sims (on about 20k per week)? Must be over £40m.
    That's a bit of a false comparison as up until none of those three players has been good enough. We needed to spend that money and strengthen in those positions, we just signed the wrong players.

He's been decent in the last 2 goals but by the same yardstick Shane Long is a goal machine. Let's hope he can learn some composure and push on from here, before we start talking about him being the solution to our problems.

37. Default Hasenhüttl: Sims has been biggest surprise

38. Default

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post

Quite so. I understand it took a while for Ralph to assess Josh Sims given all the "figuring out" he had to do with the squad, but this lad has had the qualities to be a bigger part of Saints squad for some time and it's more of a sleight on Hughes, Pellegrino and even Puel that he languished in the U/23s and then at Reading. It's not just the runs he makes, the space he finds and the ability he has to turn the defence around - in the Spurs game he showed he has a good eye for a killer pass and deft touch. Really pleased for him.

Quote Originally Posted by austsaint View Post
    Quite so. I understand it took a while for Ralph to assess Josh Sims given all the "figuring out" he had to do with the squad, but this lad has had the qualities to be a bigger part of Saints squad for some time and it's more of a sleight on Hughes, Pellegrino and even Puel that he languished in the U/23s and then at Reading. It's not just the runs he makes, the space he finds and the ability he has to turn the defence around - in the Spurs game he showed he has a good eye for a killer pass and deft touch. Really pleased for him.
    He doesn’t need to think or has already processed what he wants to do. Wind back the clock to the Liverpool semi picks the ball up from the clearance and is running he can see Matip coming and already knows with the speed he is carrying to run across him as any contact it’s a foul, the next move was probably a slight naivety PEH is screaming for the ball to probably take it to the corner, Sims more likely looked at the 2 options and already decided to pass to Long as he was the most likely of the 2 to score and finish the game. No slight on Redmond, by comparison he reaches a point near the penalty area and is still thinking what to do so hesitates, Sims by comparison knows what he is going to do.
    One of Ralph’s diamonds for polishing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    He doesn’t need to think or has already processed what he wants to do. Wind back the clock to the Liverpool semi picks the ball up from the clearance and is running he can see Matip coming and already knows with the speed he is carrying to run across him as any contact it’s a foul, the next move was probably a slight naivety PEH is screaming for the ball to probably take it to the corner, Sims more likely looked at the 2 options and already decided to pass to Long as he was the most likely of the 2 to score and finish the game. No slight on Redmond, by comparison he reaches a point near the penalty area and is still thinking what to do so hesitates, Sims by comparison knows what he is going to do.
    One of Ralph’s diamonds for polishing.
    Exactly this