Josh Sims - Loaned to NYRB: Official

spyinthesky

Surprised at this really, looks like Hughes doesn't fancy him at all. Would have thought he'd have had a better future coming off the bench for Redmond or Moi.

Anyway, good luck lad you have to safeguard your own future not leave it to the 'wisdom' of Hughes and his honcho's.

He won't because Moi will come off the bench for Redmond, and Redmond will come off the bench for Moi. Rightly or wrongly, just can't see Hughes playing both. Will be a good move for Josh provided he gets regular games.

I'm slightly disappointed that it's not a 6 month loan (with option to recall at any point) as opposed to a season long loan (with no recall option included). Just have to hope Redmond and Moi don't pick up any knocks! It will be good for Josh to play regularly which is what he needs in my opinion.

Disappointing when our attack is so poor, one of the few bright spots. Hopefully it'll be a good loan spell but can't see him ever getting games under a manager who still plays Long.

But hes another inifectual lightweight winger who dosent show enough on the ball to warrent a stay imo..........weve got enough of those already including JWP.....so why not get some game time and experience at another level.

Has produced the very very occasional glimpse of promise, but really hasn’t done anything like enough to to be considered for the first team squad, let alone the side. This isn’t a ****8ng boys club, it’s a tough old business. Loan to the championship makes absolute 100% cast iron sense, I really don’t understand anyone with a problem over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good idea to loan out a player with pace when we have an attack that has virtually no pace at all.

Brilliant decision :uhoh:

This is my frustration with the decision too. Sims offers a pacy, direct running game wide right and in attack which is something we have little of. He has had so little opportunity and those he has gained have been eye catching. I like Hughes but I think he is wrong on this one.

Surprised at this really, looks like Hughes doesn't fancy him at all. Would have thought he'd have had a better future coming off the bench for Redmond or Moi.

Anyway, good luck lad you have to safeguard your own future not leave it to the 'wisdom' of Hughes and his honcho's.

Why have you jumped to that conclusion? Just because a young player has been loaned out doesn't mean a manager doesn't think he'll be of use in the future.

Like many of you, disappointed with this particular loan out.

At least it's to a local side and we can monitor his progress. Talked with a Reading season ticket holder in the office earlier and gave him an introduction to Josh. However, he tells me that they are also trying to get Nathan Dyer in on loan, so potentially fighting for a place before he starts! Anyway, hopefully he will get a regular place and I will be back with feedback from the Reading camp.

I think he's looked decent on the few opportunities he's been given - but that's probably just as he actually wanted to take someone on in a time when it looked like players were actively being held back from doing so. Now with a bit more attacking intent (hopefully) we'll see more forward balls, more players taking people on and we'll realise that maybe Sims isn't quite good enough yet. Be good to see how he gets on there - if he's starting and creating lots of chances every game, that'll put him in good stead for next season, but at the moment he's behind a couple of players, so if he's not going to get in the squad, he may as well get some game time and experience elsewhere.

Has produced the very very occasional glimpse of promise, but really hasn’t done anything like enough to to be considered for the first team squad, let alone the side. This isn’t a ****8ng boys club, it’s a tough old business. Loan to the championship makes absolute 100% cast iron sense, I really don’t understand anyone with a problem over it.

Basically this, it's not like he hasn't had chances. There have been plenty of games where he has had little impact.

Chambers has played 105 games since he left us, 72 in the PL (Arsenal and Middlesbro).

You are making my point for me. At saints, he kept Clyne out of the team in his first season for a significant stretch. Moved to Arsenal, barely played, lost confidence, didn't develop, now struggles to get game time (also, standard arsenal injury :lol:)

I again state. Youth players don't develop when you don't play them. Care to make another argument in support of this? ;)

You are making my point for me. At saints, he kept Clyne out of the team in his first season for a significant stretch. Moved to Arsenal, barely played, lost confidence, didn't develop, now struggles to get game time (also, standard arsenal injury :lol:)

I again state. Youth players don't develop when you don't play them. Care to make another argument in support of this? ;)

Not really, a lot of Chambers gametime came when Clyne was injured/illness or only recently back from injury/illness.

Basically this, it's not like he hasn't had chances. There have been plenty of games where he has had little impact.

I mean he hasn't really has he? He's played a total of 4 full games in 2 seasons and in those 4 and a bit games he has two assists. One which put us in the final of the League Cup and one on his debut, so he's basically doing the job of an average winger.

Don't get me wrong, I think a loan was actually a good option for him if Hughes isn't going to play him, but he's not had the opportunity either those assists should have afforded him especially when you consider our other wingers have hardly stepped up in the last two years.

Not making your argument at all. You say that he moved to Arsenal and barely played, which you can see is clearly total nonsense. he moved to Arsenal and played a lot of games. 36 appearances in all competitions in 2014/15 season, how can you say he "barely played"? The three following seasons he played 22, 27 and 24 times, hardly a handful of games. I don't necessarily disgaree with your general point, but you cannot use Chambers as an argument to support it, the evidence is totally contrary to your view. Agree with you that Chambers kept Clyne out of the team, he was certainly considered equal to Clyne by Poch, often picked when Clyne was perfectly fit and available, what MLG says in his post is stuff and nonsense, surprised at him based on his usual pedantry.

I mean he hasn't really has he? He's played a total of 4 full games in 2 seasons and in those 4 and a bit games he has two assists. One which put us in the final of the League Cup and one on his debut, so he's basically doing the job of an average winger.

Don't get me wrong, I think a loan was actually a good option for him if Hughes isn't going to play him, but he's not had the opportunity either those assists should have afforded him especially when you consider our other wingers have hardly stepped up in the last two years.

Yeah i do find it odd what some count as having had his chance.

What I liked about Sims was that he wasn't afraid to run at defenders. He shook things up when he came on. He has pace. He can turn defences. I'd have kept this option. We're only an injury away from being deficient in fast wide players. Plenty of others to sell/loan out before Sims IMO.

We're already deficient in that area. We are now relying on the 'craft' of Redmond (despite his ok start) and Moi being a fantastic bargain. We have no pace and we are painfully pedestrian, yet we didn't address this in the summer.

He's got pace, is direct and is unpredictable - for people to say he's been given a chance is utter rubbish. They have their reasons obviously, but as a spectator I'm disappointed he's not been given more opportunity.

He has been given opportunities and not taken them. His last game in a saints shirt was for the u23 against Zagreb. He was awful and was given the full game. Players that are good enough should shine at that level. It's not as though he didn't try like boufal.

To me he was a talented kid who is struggling to transition to senior football, a bit like Lloyd Isgrove before him. Whether a loan will help I don't know but it's a logical move.

Redmond averages an assist every 15 games....

#Justsayin

Just saying what exactly? That because Redmond has no end product that Sims must suddenly be good enough? That's a ridiculous notion. The lad hasn't shown enough to suggest he'll improve our 1st eleven - Redmond was excellent second half against Burnley. Show me when Sims has demonstrated that he's above that level.

Just saying what exactly? That because Redmond has no end product that Sims must suddenly be good enough? That's a ridiculous notion. The lad hasn't shown enough to suggest he'll improve our 1st eleven - Redmond was excellent second half against Burnley. Show me when Sims has demonstrated that he's above that level.

Not sayin Sims is good enough, just saying that Redmond ain't much cop either.

Sims performance/debut vs Everton was probably better than any performance I've seen from Redmond

He played most of the Stoke game, in which he made little impact and the team was awful. Came on at HT at Newcastle too and we never looked like getting back into the game. He's had numerous other sub appearances over the last couple of seasons and only did anything of note against a tired and underperforming Liverpool team.

He played most of the Stoke game, in which he made little impact and the team was awful. Came on at HT at Newcastle too and we never looked like getting back into the game. He's had numerous other sub appearances over the last couple of seasons and only did anything of note against a tired and underperforming Liverpool team.

sounds about as much as Redmond has done in 80 odd apps for us

Not sayin Sims is good enough, just saying that Redmond ain't much cop either.

Sims performance/debut vs Everton was probably better than any performance I've seen from Redmond

You remember a different performance to me. Fact is that saying that one player isn't great, doesn't suggest that another could do better. If you're gonna bring another player into a Sims discussion, make a proper case for Sims being a better option than that player.

To me he was a talented kid who is struggling to transition to senior football, a bit like Lloyd Isgrove before him. Whether a loan will help I don't know but it's a logical move.

I'd agree with this, but I'd also say that in the little bit of the Zagreb game I saw he showed that he's got great control, and he's two-footed. U23 games don't even seem like the old reserve games where at least youngsters would come up against the physicality they'd need to cope with in the first team.

Let's hope he does well there, as I believe he is still a prospect, and as we know players mature at different ages.

I think Redmond is a mediocre player at best in the Premier League and the fact that Sims can't get a game ahead of him doesn't reflect too well on Sims either.

Do please define mediocre. If we were to let him go, my guess is he would be comfortably employed up by most PL teams.

He came on against Liverpool and finished off the game with direct running and a good assist, he started against Everton (I think) and provided an assist and was very good until subbed off.

We can all site various situations. Sub appearances where he gets 10 mins here, 15 mins there don't do anything. The Newcastle game was dreadful from all involved so not getting the ball out wide to our young prospect is hardly his fault.

The facts are his assist record vs games played (given total minutes) is what you'd expect from a top half prem winger. 2 assists 4 games.

He came on against Liverpool and finished off the game with direct running and a good assist, he started against Everton (I think) and provided an assist and was very good until subbed off.

We can all site various situations. Sub appearances where he gets 10 mins here, 15 mins there don't do anything. The Newcastle game was dreadful from all involved so not getting the ball out wide to our young prospect is hardly his fault.

The facts are his assist record vs games played (given total minutes) is what you'd expect from a top half prem winger. 2 assists 4 games.

He had one excellent dribble against a tired, substandard team, which had thrown most of their players forward for a corner, when he was fresh having just come on. He had a decent game and assist against a lacklustre Everton team 2 years ago.

Let's not pretend these things are anything special just because he's one of our kids. Mayuka once won us a penalty with pace and direct running.

He had one excellent dribble against a tired, substandard team, which had thrown most of their players forward for a corner, when he was fresh having just come on. He had a decent game and assist against a lacklustre Everton team 2 years ago.

Let's not pretend these things are anything special just because he's one of our kids. Mayuka once won us a penalty with pace and direct running.

Then lets not pretend he was culpable for the Newcastle disaster when he had zero support from senior members of the team, you can't have it both ways.

I am not against his loan and I am not defending him as one of our own (I do think he's a decent player though) as already stated but lets not pretend he's been afforded the same opportunities as say Redmond, Long and friends who have woefully under-performed the last two seasons yet still get a shot at the first team with no questions asked.

I am not against his loan and I am not defending him as one of our own (I do think he's a decent player though) as already stated but lets not pretend he's been afforded the same opportunities as say Redmond, Long and friends who have woefully under-performed the last two seasons yet still get a shot at the first team with no questions asked.

You’re looking at it the wrong way round. How average is Sims that he can’t get in ahead of Redmond & Long.

Don’t you think managers wish they had better players, don’t you think they wished they didn’t have to keep picking Long, etc. They’d love for a fresh young talent to come I’m to replace these players, excite the support & move us forward. The fact they haven’t played JS after watching him train & play week in week out, isn’t out of blind loyalty or love of long, Redmond & Austin, it’s borne out of the fact they don’t think he’d do better. The way to look at it is this, if Sims was any near as good as some seem to think, he’d have replaced these duds by now. He hasn’t been afforded the same opportunity as Redmond , in exactly the same way Juanmi wasn’t given the same opportunity Mane was. It’s not an under 12’s team, let’s give everyone a chance. FFS. You earn your chance day in day out, he’s clearly not shown enough.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

You’re looking at it the wrong way round. How average is Sims that he can’t get in ahead of Redmond & Long.

Don’t you think managers wish they had better players, don’t you think they wished they didn’t have to keep picking Long, etc. They’d love for a fresh young talent to come I’m to replace these players, excite the support & move us forward. The fact they haven’t played JS after watching him train & play week in week out, isn’t out of blind loyalty or love of long, Redmond & Austin, it’s borne out of the fact they don’t think he’d do better. The way to look at it is this, if Sims was any near as good as some seem to think, he’d have replaced these duds by now. He hasn’t been afforded the same opportunity as Redmond , in exactly the same way Juanmi wasn’t given the same opportunity Mane was. It’s not an under 12’s team, let’s give everyone a chance. FFS. You earn your chance day in day out, he’s clearly not shown enough.

This. The club don't nurture, coach and pay youngsters for years in the hope of tossing them aside to sit on the bench at Yeovil or Forest Green or wherever. The club hope that they'll save/make them a fortune and help the 1st team. For me Sims ain't shown enough to suggest he'll improve our team. Hopefully he'll go onto to have a decent career though.

Then lets not pretend he was culpable for the Newcastle disaster when he had zero support from senior members of the team, you can't have it both ways.

I never said he was culpable but he didn't improve our fortunes either and against Stoke he offered very little. After that decent Everton performance he got 35 mins in a 3-0 defeat at Palace, then got an hour in the draw with Be'er Sheva and 20 minutes against West Brom. He never pushed on from their and replicated the performance against Everton, the rest of the team not withstanding.

It's not often I agree with Lord Duck but he's right on this one. If successive coaching teams and managers have decided he's not as good as the mediocre Redmond and the substandard Long, there's probably something in that. They aren't great players but they've at least done something of note at this level, with Norwich and West Brom respectively.

I asked my Reading mate at work how he got on last night and he said he didn't really notice him. Early days but he will have to start making some headlines in the Championship to force his way into our long term plans.

Edited by Lighthouse

I never said he was culpable but he didn't improve our fortunes either and against Stoke he offered very little. After that decent Everton performance he got 35 mins in a 3-0 defeat at Palace, then got an hour in the draw with Be'er Sheva and 20 minutes against West Brom. He never pushed on from their and replicated the performance against Everton, the rest of the team not withstanding.

It's not often I agree with Lord Duck but he's right on this one. If successive coaching teams and managers have decided he's not as good as the mediocre Redmond and the substandard Long, there's probably something in that. They aren't great players but they've at least done something of note at this level, with Norwich and West Brom respectively.

I asked my Reading mate at work how he got on last night and he said he didn't really notice him. Early days but he will have to start making some headlines in the Championship to force his way into our long term plans.

Awesome, making assumptions off of a third party account based on 27 mins of play in his first game for a club he moved to a day earlier. Also saying 'it's early days' isn't a get out clause, you simply shouldn't have mentioned it.

Managers are often wrong by the way which is presumably why Shane Long (2 goals in 30 appearances last season) and 1 goal and 3 assists Redmond keep getting picked, they aren't infallible... Which essentially underlines my point. With **** like that still getting picked week in and out, there's littler harm changing it up with a youngster instead when his assist rate is basically the same. However a loan seems sensible to get him more game time.

Again, the Newcastle game he was hardly going to swing the game in our favour, I doubt anyone would have it was that dour and with 10 other players hardly pulling in the same direction a 20 year old with no experience is unlikely to have been the catalyst for change.

I hope he does well for Reading but it's a tough league. It's also not a sole barometer for whether a player is any good or not

I'm slightly disappointed that it's not a 6 month loan (with option to recall at any point) as opposed to a season long loan (with no recall option included)

Hughes said in yesterday's pre-match press conference that there is a January window recall option in Sim's loan contract (apologies if this has already been mentioned - have only skim read the thread)

Hughes said in yesterday's pre-match press conference that there is a January window recall option in Sim's loan contract (apologies if this has already been mentioned - have only skim read the thread)

I'd have to re-read Batman's summary on the Leiecester thread, but I think MH said future loans would include a recall in Jan. Not sure if the Sims loan includes it, it may of course. The Reading fan in the office doesn't know either way, he assumes they have him for season but it may be we have the right to recall in Jan.

I'd have to re-read Batman's summary on the Leiecester thread, but I think MH said future loans would include a recall in Jan. Not sure if the Sims loan includes it, it may of course. The Reading fan in the office doesn't know either way, he assumes they have him for season but it may be we have the right to recall in Jan.

Hughes mentions the Sims recall option at the end of this video clip: