Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Josh Sims

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I never said he was culpable but he didn't improve our fortunes either and against Stoke he offered very little. After that decent Everton performance he got 35 mins in a 3-0 defeat at Palace, then got an hour in the draw with Be'er Sheva and 20 minutes against West Brom. He never pushed on from their and replicated the performance against Everton, the rest of the team not withstanding.

It's not often I agree with Lord Duck but he's right on this one. If successive coaching teams and managers have decided he's not as good as the mediocre Redmond and the substandard Long, there's probably something in that. They aren't great players but they've at least done something of note at this level, with Norwich and West Brom respectively.

I asked my Reading mate at work how he got on last night and he said he didn't really notice him. Early days but he will have to start making some headlines in the Championship to force his way into our long term plans.
    Awesome, making assumptions off of a third party account based on 27 mins of play in his first game for a club he moved to a day earlier. Also saying 'it's early days' isn't a get out clause, you simply shouldn't have mentioned it.

Managers are often wrong by the way which is presumably why Shane Long (2 goals in 30 appearances last season) and 1 goal and 3 assists Redmond keep getting picked, they aren't infallible... Which essentially underlines my point. With **** like that still getting picked week in and out, there's littler harm changing it up with a youngster instead when his assist rate is basically the same. However a loan seems sensible to get him more game time.

Again, the Newcastle game he was hardly going to swing the game in our favour, I doubt anyone would have it was that dour and with 10 other players hardly pulling in the same direction a 20 year old with no experience is unlikely to have been the catalyst for change.

I hope he does well for Reading but it's a tough league. It's also not a sole barometer for whether a player is any good or not

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by davefizzy14 View Post
    I'm slightly disappointed that it's not a 6 month loan (with option to recall at any point) as opposed to a season long loan (with no recall option included)
    Hughes said in yesterday's pre-match press conference that there is a January window recall option in Sim's loan contract (apologies if this has already been mentioned - have only skim read the thread)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Hughes said in yesterday's pre-match press conference that there is a January window recall option in Sim's loan contract (apologies if this has already been mentioned - have only skim read the thread)
    I'd have to re-read Batman's summary on the Leiecester thread, but I think MH said future loans would include a recall in Jan. Not sure if the Sims loan includes it, it may of course. The Reading fan in the office doesn't know either way, he assumes they have him for season but it may be we have the right to recall in Jan.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    I'd have to re-read Batman's summary on the Leiecester thread, but I think MH said future loans would include a recall in Jan. Not sure if the Sims loan includes it, it may of course. The Reading fan in the office doesn't know either way, he assumes they have him for season but it may be we have the right to recall in Jan.
    Hughes mentions the Sims recall option at the end of this video clip: https://www.facebook.com/southampton...9232638518198/

5. Default

Sub today.

Came on in the 66th minute, won the penalty in stoppage time for Reading's equaliser vs Villa.

6. Default

Just the kind of player we were missing off the bench for last 20 mins today IMO....

Assist for the winner today

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Assist for the winner today
    Hopefully that will earn him a start in the next couple if games.

Bit of a rough day for our loanees.

Sims had the best of it with 11 mins and an assist.

Reed came on for Blackburn from the bench too.

McQueen and Hesketh unused subs.

Flannigan didnít make the bench for Burton.

Jones an unused sub for St. Mirren, who signed Anton Ferdinand as first choice CB after signing Jones from Saints.

God knows what Seagers form in the Dutch second division means,

Admittedly Iíve not looked at the older loanees such as Carillo (although it looks like he missed a penalty for Leganes today), Boufal and Clasie.

It was Reeds needless foul on the edge of the box from which Villa scored their equaliser. Player was facing away from goal, no need to try to tackle, very good free kick though. He then had a chance to redeem himself as the ball fell to him in the box, but blazed high and wide, not his best 8 minutes of football to be honest.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    Bit of a rough day for our loanees.

Sims had the best of it with 11 mins and an assist.

Reed came on for Blackburn from the bench too.

McQueen and Hesketh unused subs.

Flannigan didnít make the bench for Burton.

Jones an unused sub for St. Mirren, who signed Anton Ferdinand as first choice CB after signing Jones from Saints.

God knows what Seagers form in the Dutch second division means,

Admittedly Iíve not looked at the older loanees such as Carillo (although it looks like he missed a penalty for Leganes today), Boufal and Clasie.
    Frankly it highlights the quality of our youngsters. People were calling for Reed, Hesketh and Sims to be given 1st team opportunities for us. The fact that they are bench warmers at lower league clubs makes it clear that they won't enhance our first team. That said, I hope they all go on to have good seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Frankly it highlights the quality of our youngsters. People were calling for Reed, Hesketh and Sims to be given 1st team opportunities for us. The fact that they are bench warmers at lower league clubs makes it clear that they won't enhance our first team. That said, I hope they all go on to have good seasons.
    bit like Jack Stephens when he was in the champ

Hardly, it’s the double whammy of being loan signings and ones that were signed extremely late in the window. Sims has already made an impact twice, so you’d expect him to get a start soon at reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Hardly, it’s the double whammy of being loan signings and ones that were signed extremely late in the window. Sims has already made an impact twice, so you’d expect him to get a start soon at reading.
    You're deluded if you think there's a premier league regular in any of of domestic loanees. They're on loan in the lower leagues as they aren't good enough for the premier league. They're on the bench in the lower leagues (at best) for a reason.

15. Default

You're deluded if you think there's a premier league regular in any of of domestic loanees. They're on loan in the lower leagues as they aren't good enough for the premier league. They're on the bench in the lower leagues (at best) for a reason.
    Harry Kane was on loan at Leicester in the championship when he was 20 and was pretty sh*t there.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

"Don't write off young players because Harry Kane" is the new "don't sack the manager because Alex Ferguson".

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    "Don't write off young players because Harry Kane" is the new "don't sack the manager because Alex Ferguson".
    Messi is also small ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Messi is also small ffs
    Isn't Scholes the go-to "small guy" example? Or Kante?

How much have you watched them? Bizarre attitude. We've had some utter dross in our first team the last few years. As if one of them couldn't contribute as much as Long has with a couple of goals in 2 years.

Football fans really do come up with some simplistic bull****. Not in the team so not good enough, yet simultaneously happy to criticise managers decisions. So which is it?

Players often take time to get starts at new clubs. Sims has done well each time he's come on for them. He'll be starting soon enough and I bet he does well. He needs games, he should have been loaned the last couple of years and he'd be ahead of where he is.

Personally, I'll keep judging players on watching them rather than generalised simplistic bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    How much have you watched them? Bizarre attitude.
    Plenty, and enough to tell me that the decision to loan them out is correct.

Have you seen them? Where and when have you seen anything from any of our domestic loanees to suggest that they'll improve our
    team?

Read teg article from the Blackburn manager re Reed. He's 23 and can't do as the manager tells him in training ffs. And people think he'll improve our team. Nuts.

Do you really think that if these lads are good enough they'd be on loan at league 1 and championship clubs, and struggling to get off the bench?

21. Default

Have you seen them? Where and when have you seen anything from any of our domestic loanees to suggest that they'll improve our
    team?

Read teg article from the Blackburn manager re Reed. He's 23 and can't do as the manager tells him in training ffs. And people think he'll improve our team. Nuts.

Do you really think that if these lads are good enough they'd be on loan at league 1 and championship clubs, and struggling to get off the bench?
    That's pretty much how I feel about 90 % of every signing we have made since we got back in the EPL, only a handful of players I can say I knew before hand that I thought could do a job for us, every player we sign from a lesser league is about at or below that of the standard in the Championship, only a handful of leagues higher standard than the championship and we don't normal sign players from these leagues any way and when we do, we buy bench warmers / players who cant get in the first team.

I personally think Sims has more to his game than some first team starters / bench warmers here.

Rather a player with Championship EXP than some one from I don't know, Scotland.... I think most teams in the Championship would Give Celtic a good run for there money, the gap between 10th - 20th in the EPL and the top 15 of the Championship are about as good as each other, no one can say we would bounce back up if we got relegated, we wont go down and tear the championship up. we would be lucky to get play offs, so people should think hard about being harsh towards players who play in the championship, Christ Deli Alli never got out of League 1 before he was hailed the new England wonderkid.

Blog Entries

team?

But what's the point of a loan, they will never be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    I'd imagine most of them are on a last chance to prove they're good enough. The players out on loan (and Gallagher) will be 22-24 by the end of the season, about the age most of them will be moved on if they're not good enough. Sims may get another season.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Someone to pay a proportion of their wages? To give them experience? To put them in the shop window in the hope that they can have a career in the game after their contracts run down? Jason McCarthy and Lloyd Isgrove are recent examples where I suspect all 3 of those factors were applicable. They both got moves - not done much since, but they got moves.

Blog Entries

Sims is doing well in my oppinion. He should have a place at saints next year.

26. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    I've seen enough of Sims to believe he'll be a very good premier league player one day, I find it utterly bizarre that others can't see it. Just looks obvious to me.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Got his first 90 minutes for reading & reading finally won. Hopefully means he'll stay in the team.

I went to the game. He started brightly for first 20 mins or so, but I was generally disappointed in his performance, especially against a really poor Hull team. He didn't really beat anyone or get any decent delivery into the box, and kind of drifted. But at least he did get game time, and judging by the comments by the Reading fans around, he seems to be a bit of a favourite there in general.

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bit of a plonker View Post
    I went to the game. He started brightly for first 20 mins or so, but I was generally disappointed in his performance, especially against a really poor Hull team. He didn't really beat anyone or get any decent delivery into the box, and kind of drifted. But at least he did get game time, and judging by the comments by the Reading fans around, he seems to be a bit of a favourite there in general.
    Yeah, the Reading fans here in the office love him. Say he "has great energy, not afraid to take a man on." They were calling out for him to get a start and now he has, they hope he plays every game.

Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere

Yeah, the Reading fans here in the office love him. Say he "has great energy, not afraid to take a man on." They were calling out for him to get a start and now he has, they hope he plays every game.
    A season playing regularly in the Championship will do him the world of good. Heíll come back first team ready.

31. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Faz View Post
    A season playing regularly in the Championship will do him the world of good. He’ll come back first team ready.
    Like Targett ... and then left on the bench until that readiness has worn off.

Like Targett ... and then left on the bench until that readiness has worn off.
    Fox, Hooiveld, Kelvin, Sharp, Hammond, Guly, De Ridder, Richardson and Chaplow were all regulars in a top Championship team. None were Premier League standard.

Just playing regularly doesn’t make them good enough on its own, more it gives them a chance to develop and gain experience. My mate with a Reading ST has been pretty impressed with Sims so far, so fingers crossed he can progress.

33. Default

Fox, Hooiveld, Kelvin, Sharp, Hammond, Guly, De Ridder, Richardson and Chaplow were all regulars in a top Championship team. None were Premier League standard.

Just playing regularly doesn’t make them good enough on its own, more it gives them a chance to develop and gain experience. My mate with a Reading ST has been pretty impressed with Sims so far, so fingers crossed he can progress.
    He's changed his tune, has he?

Quote Originally Posted by Greedyfly View Post
    He's changed his tune, has he?
    You’ve got a bit of a chip on your shoulder over this one.

In his opinion, Sims didn’t do anything of note on his debut, however he has looked better since. So yes he has changed his opinion based on Sims improved performances.

Sims has done well given he only has one start. Always looks likely to make something happen, same as when he came on for us. How anyone can watch him, then watch our attack of the last couple of years and come to the conclusion he's not as good is beyond me. He'd be a good option to have off the bench this season.

36. Default

You’ve got a bit of a chip on your shoulder over this one.

In his opinion, Sims didn’t do anything of note on his debut, however he has looked better since. So yes he has changed his opinion based on Sims improved performances.
    No chip. Thought it was a bit much making assumptions off of a third person assessment, after Sim's had been there a day, on his debut, at a new club etc etc.

37. Default

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46467268

"Championship strugglers Reading have sacked manager Paul Clement"

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46467268

"Championship strugglers Reading have sacked manager Paul Clement"
    Welcome Mark Hughes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Welcome Mark Hughes
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes go to the championship at some point. A good place to rebuild his reputation.

Starting for Reading tonight - now live on sky.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Hughes go to the championship at some point. A good place to rebuild his reputation.
    Hughes would be a good appointment at Reading tbf.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    Hughes would be a good appointment at Reading tbf.
    What have Reading ever done to you

Can see why he isn't enjoying it there. Reading just don't get the ball or attack much. The few times he did get the ball he was positive and beat a few players, but he's in a dire side.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Starting for Reading tonight - now live on sky.
    Subbed after an hour, didn't really make an impact. Meanwhile Billy Sharp (remember him) won the game for Sheffield United with a late goal.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    What have Reading ever done to you
    Fans are irritating as ****. Would be hilarious for Hughes to go there. As soon as someone beats their 106 points they literally won’t have anything to talk about

46. Default

Started and got an assist for Reading already.

Quote Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
    Fans are irritating as ****. Would be hilarious for Hughes to go there. As soon as someone beats their 106 points they literally won’t have anything to talk about
    Yep, awful tinpot team.