Josh Sims - Loaned to NYRB: Official

spyinthesky

Puel killed him IMHO.

Burst on the scene and was quick n direct. Looked a player with no fear.

After his debut he vanished only to return looking nervous and sideways.

We seem to coach the best out of players. Similar happening with Demarai Gray it seems

Did we sign him,? didnt think so, try to think sensibly in your club bashing attempts and you then wont look as if you are making things up to suit agenda

It is, but I think Sims has the ability and potential to get the most from Ralph's coaching. No reason why the two could not be played together with Armstrong central, would be a strong attacking option.

Def an option. I guess Sims will get the Hesketh treatment. Will be assessed & then a decision will be made whether to include him or to loan him back out.

I was under the impression that Sims was on a season-long loan. In which case, we have exercised a recall option which means he must be in Ralph's plans.

Or was it just a half-season loan to begin with?

I was under the impression that Sims was on a season-long loan. In which case, we have exercised a recall option which means he must be in Ralph's plans.

It was but I'd say it's just more a case of Reading not wanting him. Doesn't seem to make the match day squad half the time and his last app. was an 89th min. sub appearance.

He has pace though and does work hard, so I suspect Ralf may want to look at him and see if there is anything to work with there, especially considering our lack of pace going forward.

Who knows with young players and loan spells, I mean look at Harry Kane, he wasn't getting into the Leicester first eleven in the Championship, returned to Spurs and started to get first team appearances the following season and then goes on to get 21 league goals the following year.

Often its all about confidence with young players, and the players around them. You get the impression that Sims, like Gallagher was a bit messed around and those clubs were not very stable changing managers.

Inevitably some people will think he's going to be a world beater, despite not getting in to Reading's match day squads.

Or some might think he will improve under a decent manager and add another pacey option to a severely under strength forward line.......

Inevitably some people will think he's going to be a world beater, despite not getting in to Reading's match day squads.
I doubt any saints fan thinks we have any player who is a world beater ...hell most would struggle to name more than two who are decent PL players..

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Think Sims is better than Redmond in terms of Ralph's system. Very fast and doing something productive with the ball in the final push.

Yeah I’m sure a player who couldn’t get in Reading’s team will be better than our best attacking player this season.

Yeah I’m sure a player who couldn’t get in Reading’s team will be better than our best attacking player this season.

If Ralph doesn't want to use him, lets send him to a good side in League 1. Burton or similar.

Zero point in him being a sub in the championship - He just needs to get games & get his confidence back.

It was a season-long loan with us having a recall option in Jan which we've exercised.

We made a request that he didn't play against Swansea or Man Utd (no idea why he wasn't recalled before that) but he didn't travel to OT at the weekend.

We weren't too happy with his lack of playing time and the new manager at RFC wanted his own players plus they're trying to get the wage bill down (they were paying 50% of his wages).

He comes back and will get a go in the first team so makes sense for all parties involved.

Welcome back, Josh.

He has pace though and does work hard, so I suspect Ralf may want to look at him and see if there is anything to work with there, especially considering our lack of pace going forward.

Who knows with young players and loan spells, I mean look at Harry Kane, he wasn't getting into the Leicester first eleven in the Championship, returned to Spurs and started to get first team appearances the following season and then goes on to get 21 league goals the following year.

Often its all about confidence with young players, and the players around them. You get the impression that Sims, like Gallagher was a bit messed around and those clubs were not very stable changing managers.

Or, look at Stephen O'Halloran, who wasn't getting into our first 11 when we were struggling in the Championship, then returned to Villa and ended up being an absolute nobody.

"Yeah but Kane..." seems to be the defence offered for every young player in the Premier League at the moment, when in reality 90% of them just aren't up to it.

Cliché territory I know, but my gut feel is that if any manager is going to get the best out of Sims then Hassenhuttl is that man. Sims seems to be the kind of player that Ralph admires (industrious, attack minded, "hungry" etc). Yes, Sims may well have hit a ceiling in terms of his quality, but it's still gotta be worthwhile giving him a final crack of the whip under the new manager before offloading him. Nothing to lose.

Or, look at Stephen O'Halloran, who wasn't getting into our first 11 when we were struggling in the Championship, then returned to Villa and ended up being an absolute nobody.

"Yeah but Kane..." seems to be the defence offered for every young player in the Premier League at the moment, when in reality 90% of them just aren't up to it.

He is hardly the only example, Harry Maguire went on loan to Wigan and only played 16 times and was then a regular becoming a key player the following year for Hull.

Jesse Lingaard has had various 'meh' spells on loan, he was in the Championship as a semi-regular Derby and then made 40 appearances in all competitions for Man Utd the following year.

Pickford played 24 games for PNE on a season long loan in the Championship the year before he was Sunderland's regular keeper.

Kyle Walker was on loan in the Championship, next year he played pretty much every game for Spurs.

Not saying the same will happen to Sims, but an indifferent loan spell doesn't mean a young player won't come good.

It was a season-long loan with us having a recall option in Jan which we've exercised.

We made a request that he didn't play against Swansea or Man Utd (no idea why he wasn't recalled before that) but he didn't travel to OT at the weekend.

We weren't too happy with his lack of playing time and the new manager at RFC wanted his own players plus they're trying to get the wage bill down (they were paying 50% of his wages).

He comes back and will get a go in the first team so makes sense for all parties involved.

Welcome back, Josh.

Did we excise a recall clause, or did Reading just not want to spend the money / loan space on a player that wasn’t performing them? Genuine question, do you know which way round it was?

Did we excise a recall clause, or did Reading just not want to spend the money / loan space on a player that wasn’t performing them? Genuine question, do you know which way round it was?

It was mentioned in the total saints podcast he was sent back by Reading

People seem to be saying he’s not good enough and he won’t make it, despite the fact that he has actually made a couple of decent contributions under Puel, and even under Pellegrino he looked bright in an absolutely dreadful team. A bad loan spell doesn’t mean everything. Some teams suit players better than others. Reading are ****e, I don’t consider that a fair playing field for a young winger trying to make his way.

Was disappointed when he went out on loan. Loan obviously didn't work out, rather odd as he has ability and speed as we have seen.

Great opportunity now for him and we have a dirth of true wingers.

Will be a useful addition to the squad i'm sure and the rest is up to him. Worst case if he doesn't impress Ralph this month then perhaps he will go out on loan again.

He is hardly the only example, Harry Maguire went on loan to Wigan and only played 16 times and was then a regular becoming a key player the following year for Hull.

Jesse Lingaard has had various 'meh' spells on loan, he was in the Championship as a semi-regular Derby and then made 40 appearances in all competitions for Man Utd the following year.

Pickford played 24 games for PNE on a season long loan in the Championship the year before he was Sunderland's regular keeper.

Kyle Walker was on loan in the Championship, next year he played pretty much every game for Spurs.

Not saying the same will happen to Sims, but an indifferent loan spell doesn't mean a young player won't come good.

Pickford, Walker and Maguire were only half a season and started pretty much every game. Not indifferent at all, quite impressive in fact.

None of those loan spells were indifferent but that's besides the point anyway. All they represent is half a dosen players who have made it at this level since about 2010. Sure there are more but there are ten times as many who haven't.

I want him to be good enough, I honestly do but I just don't see it. He had one 70 yard run against a tiring Liverpool defence, 3 years ago but watch that video again; how many players actually tried to tackle him? Zero, Wijnaldum sort of runs near him at one point but that's it. It was good but hardly Owen/Argentina good.

Edited by Lighthouse

It was mentioned in the total saints podcast he was sent back by Reading

I know for a fact we were the only ones with the option to cut short his loan deal.

RFC weren't too disappointed with the decision, however.

It's starting already, "better than Redmond." He can't even get a game for Reading FFS.

As has been said Reading haven’t known what they are doing until the latest manager walked through the door - Christ Gallagher at Birmingham was played out of position.

Sims has pace which is what we lack.

Well I made two mistakes - firstly I thought Sims was 23, not 21. And I thought he'd had several loans, but turns out it's only the one.

There's still plenty of time for him to come good, he has all the attributes to be a good player for us. Clearly wasn't the greatest time at Reading, but they really are struggling and it's hard for a young player to shine in a failing Championship side. Think all of our academy players that got thrown in back in 2008/09.

Shane Long has loads of pace and a great work rate too....

If you look at it from the perspective of the club receiving the loan player they're obviously not going to play them if 1 they don't suit your playing style and 2 are likely to be recalled and therefore you don't want to make them a vital cog of your team. Both apply to Sims, I believe.

Harrison Reed on the other hand is on a season long loan and has played in the cups so his playing time has been far more.

Sims has shown potential before. Now we have a manager who likes to give young players a chance, and we have a team very light on attacking options. It's a great opportunity for him, and one for us also.

Who knows what went wrong at Reading. But a team that is second bottom may not be willing to give a young player the opportunity to play regularly, make mistakes, thrive and find some consistency. I wouldn't expect them to either. We were in that position last year. I'm a fan of Hesketh, Gallgaher and Sims (or would like to see them given opportunities to prove themselves), but last season wasn't the time, especially when things were that dire.

The only thing different this season is that our manager is a bit of a maverick and seems totally fine in throwing the younger ones into the fold. Maybe Sims goes back out on loan but if Ralph trusts him to play a part in the second half of the season, then I am completely behind that.

Sims has shown potential before. Now we have a manager who likes to give young players a chance, and we have a team very light on attacking options. It's a great opportunity for him, and one for us also.

Who knows what went wrong at Reading. But a team that is second bottom may not be willing to give a young player the opportunity to play regularly, make mistakes, thrive and find some consistency. I wouldn't expect them to either. We were in that position last year. I'm a fan of Hesketh, Gallgaher and Sims (or would like to see them given opportunities to prove themselves), but last season wasn't the time, especially when things were that dire.

The only thing different this season is that our manager is a bit of a maverick and seems totally fine in throwing the younger ones into the fold. Maybe Sims goes back out on loan but if Ralph trusts him to play a part in the second half of the season, then I am completely behind that.

Agreed. I'd be very surprised if he comes back and doesn't feature on the bench at least. But another loan isn't out of the question.

With his direct running he could fit well into Ralph's system.

He couldn't possibly be any worse than Elyounoussi anyway.

For all the discussion & debate, I go back to this point Bexy made the other day, which is by far the most salient point I've read.

If he's fit then I would be very surprised if he doesn't at least make the bench for the replay against Derby.

Isn't there a rule that you can't play for 3 clubs in one season. If so then if he play for us he wont be able to go back out on loan. RH will have to be pretty sure he's got a future here to have him on the bench.

If he's fit then I would be very surprised if he doesn't at least make the bench for the replay against Derby.
I think there's a rule for cup tie replays that you can't play anyone that wasn't registered for the original game.

I might have just made that up, though.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk