Charlie Austin PITA?

Charlie Wayman

Saints are a Premier League football club and part of what is supposedly the best league in the world not a Sunday League pub side. Why would you not expect all our players to be totally professional, single minded and dedicated to becoming the best player they possibly can be. Austin seems to take it all for granted, behaves as if he is still playing for a pub team where all his usual banter would be par for the course. Why would our dressing room appreciate his amateur comic act when most other players are fighting for their places and focusing on the task ahead?

What you need in a dressing room are real leaders like Yoshida who can instil belief and confidence in others that they can be the best that they can beat any opposition. What a professional, international, multi-cultural dressing room in the twenty first century does not want is lunatic joshing from a guy who has only half his mind on football and doesn't play very well either.

I don’t get what’s wrong with that video whatsoever. He just seems like a normal guy to me. Always comes across well in after match interviews too. The fact he is often the player in the pictures promoting the next game or wearing the new kit (probably the most used player on the official site) he is obviously highly regarded by the club. I think he’s quality and only let down by his annual injury. Also anybody saying we should get rid is talking s**t. He’s worth keeping even if he does only play 3/4 of a season. Not like we have anyone better.

There is a very vocal minority who just don't like Austin for some reason. Good thing most of the fanbase does like him. He was a bricklayer (or something like that), and he doesn't try to be what he isn't. He's a normal everday bloke who happens to be a really good striker. Bash him for getting injured during his stint here, I guess thats fair. But he seems like a good guy who the teammates like, and his scoring record of goals/minute is near the top in the PL and right there with players costing 10-15x what his cost was. The one season he did stay healthy he scored 18 for QPR. I absolutely think Austin with Gabbi can be a good tandem, playing each to his strengths depending on the matchup.

Saints are a Premier League football club and part of what is supposedly the best league in the world not a Sunday League pub side. Why would you not expect all our players to be totally professional, single minded and dedicated to becoming the best player they possibly can be. Austin seems to take it all for granted, behaves as if he is still playing for a pub team where all his usual banter would be par for the course. Why would our dressing room appreciate his amateur comic act when most other players are fighting for their places and focusing on the task ahead?

What you need in a dressing room are real leaders like Yoshida who can instil belief and confidence in others that they can be the best that they can beat any opposition. What a professional, international, multi-cultural dressing room in the twenty first century does not want is lunatic joshing from a guy who has only half his mind on football and doesn't play very well either.

Disappear mate would you

Are you for ****ing real?

**** me I bet you’re a right laugh down the ale house.

There’s always been this sort of stuff in dressing rooms, from the dog & duck second 11 to the Liverpool sides of the 70’s. Lighten up snowflake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

image.jpg

You really are a wet leaf.

Don't get the flack that Charlie gets on here, he's a genuine goal scorer who cost something like 4M and has never let us down when fit. If the Pratt had actually played him from the start of last season we would have been ok and the prat.might still have been a premier league manager. I don't think Sparky will make the same mistake. Charlie should be the spearhead with Gabbi in a free role,. that's a good attacking combo to me.

Agreed - the stick Austin gets is completely over the top. He's a good player, knows where the net is and has never let us down. He was inspired that night against Swansea and let's not forget it was his athleticism in reaching that volley that led to Gabbi tapping in the winner.

I get that he has issues with his fitness but given his background as a footballer and the fact it took him a bit longer to get to the top I'm not sure its that surprising that he doesn't appear to have the natural fitness of those who come through Premier League academies etc. Have never heard any manager of ours complain about a lack of application in training and so unless someone ITK has info on him not putting in effort in training I don't think we can criticise him for getting injured - just happens to some players more often (his recurring shoulder injuries for example will have nothing to do with training etc.)

How embarrassing was CA's bike video tour around Evian embarrassing?

He really is a brash, unruly individual and it seemed to me that quite a lot of our players and staff find him a bit of a PITA judging by their bewildered expressions when they were the butt of his banter. I mean come on, he was even rude to the gaffer and our captain and that surely isn't on even in jest. Reckon your a bit of a Jack the Lad, eh? More like a camp wrecker to me.

Come on Charlie, stop the gob and get on with what you should be doing and do it well. Concentrate on your football and for heaven's sake take it seriously, you are after all supposedly a professional footballer. Look no further for your work ethic than Romeu, Hoedt and the others who are giving it 200% in the gym and in training ready for our new season.

Worst post on this forum ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a very vocal minority who just don't like Austin for some reason. Good thing most of the fanbase does like him. He was a bricklayer (or something like that), and he doesn't try to be what he isn't. He's a normal everday bloke who happens to be a really good striker. Bash him for getting injured during his stint here, I guess thats fair. But he seems like a good guy who the teammates like, and his scoring record of goals/minute is near the top in the PL and right there with players costing 10-15x what his cost was. The one season he did stay healthy he scored 18 for QPR. I absolutely think Austin with Gabbi can be a good tandem, playing each to his strengths depending on the matchup.
A really good striker? He might have been in his prime but he is nowhere near the player he was at QPR, he is now slow injury prone & out of shape, he won't hit double figures

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

A really good striker? He might have been in his prime but he is nowhere near the player he was at QPR, he is now slow injury prone & out of shape, he won't hit double figures

Not sure why some think this. Even though he's been injured, when he has played the past 2 seasons he has average a goal every 1.5 matches or so in the PL. That is much better than anyone else we have, and up there among all strikers in the PL.

You must have never played football before, Sunday morning changing rooms have much worse and even Hampshire league sides I have played for.

You need someone with banter like his in the dressing room, as long as he scores 12-15 league goals we will love him anyway.

Banter among players can be part of the team bonding. All teams have a wide variety of players from differing communities.

We do not want a team of 11 individuals that have no camaraderie and only play for themselves.

Charlie is always likely to get injured but is that his fault or simply bad luck. Before we sold him Lallana was becoming a player that collected injuries to often.

Some players get injured because they are tackled more than others who lay the ball off quickly.

Still waiting for his season ticket at the Emirates to come through.

Fake news. No allegiance to Arsenal whatsoever.

Is trying to stimulate debate now known as 'trolling'? Why all the rudeness from the usual culprits just because they don't agree with me. Offer an alternative viewpoint not personal insults.

If our team were a bunch of miserable sods I'd be worried. It good to see the camaraderie in the team again. Even bertie is smiling. They had faces like smacked arses for a lot of last season. They seem confident going into the new season. I come from a military family and remember my uncle saying something like "when the jokes stop, you know something is very wrong" and don't forget sparky also had a cheeky dig at Austin too "and you actually scored a goal... For once" it's just a laugh mate I wouldn't worry about it.

Not sure why some think this. Even though he's been injured, when he has played the past 2 seasons he has average a goal every 1.5 matches or so in the PL. That is much better than anyone else we have, and up there among all strikers in the PL.

14 PL goals in two and a half years.

Thats not particularly impressive IMO.

Average of about 6 a season and he hasnt scored a lot of goals in a season for about 4 years now.

Average of about 6 a season and he hasnt scored a lot of goals in a season for about 4 years now.

I was talking about the amount of goals he's made versus the time he has played, which is impressive. I agree his injury record since he's been here is an issue, no denying that. He's played roughly 1/2 of each of the 2 full seasons. However when he's on the pitch he is very productive.

If Sparky plays him from the off - and if we don't sign a goalscorer I think he will - then I don't see any reason why he couldn't get 15-20. He's an excellent finisher who will produce if played correctly.

His fitness needs very careful management though.

Jesus, are we still playing the "if Austin stays fit" bargaining game?

He hasn't started more than 14 games in a season for 4 years.

At 29, he's not getting fitter - in fact he looks slower and more out of shape than ever.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I don't know how good a striker people think we are going to get. Last season outside the top six only one player scored more than 12 goals and that was Vardy. After that the next best goal scorer outside the top six was Glenn Murray with 12 goals. The only way a team outside the big six gets a prolific goal scorer these days is with a healthy dose of luck.

I don't know how good a striker people think we are going to get. Last season outside the top six only one player scored more than 12 goals and that was Vardy. After that the next best goal scorer outside the top six was Glenn Murray with 12 goals. The only way a team outside the big six gets a prolific goal scorer these days is with a healthy dose of luck.

You've pretty much answered your own question there. Is a striker as good as Glenn Murray really too much to hope for? I know we're never going to be bringing in the regular 20+ a season men but I think we can dare to dream a bit higher than 6 or 7 goals winning our golden boot.

Pelle, Lambert, J Rod, Pahars, Beattie and K. Davies have all been in that ballpark in the not too distant past, without being 'too good' for Saints.

that would be a start

You've pretty much answered your own question there. Is a striker as good as Glenn Murray really too much to hope for? I know we're never going to be bringing in the regular 20+ a season men but I think we can dare to dream a bit higher than 6 or 7 goals winning our golden boot.

Pelle, Lambert, J Rod, Pahars, Beattie and K. Davies have all been in that ballpark in the not too distant past, without being 'too good' for Saints.

that would be a start

OK I could imagine the reaction from you two if we had signed Glenn Murray :lol:

OK I could imagine the reaction from you two if we had signed Glenn Murray :lol:

Like it or not he scored as many goals as Austin and Gabbi combined last season. TBH I'm confused as to your viewpoint on this this. You seem to be saying he was the second best outside the top six and we can't hope for anyone better but also the idea of signing him would be silly.

I don't want Murray as such but someone like that would be a start.

If Austin stays healthy this season, you can easily see him getting 12-15 goals. Flame away on the "if he stays healthy", but its true. Unless we bring in a top guy for $30M+, Austin is our best guy. I also think Gabbi can get 10-15 too. Thats why I think we are ok with those two if we improve the midfield attackers. Sure it would be great to get Salah, but we're not going to. Austin and Gabbi together is not a bad PL tandem.

If Austin stays healthy this season, you can easily see him getting 12-15 goals. Flame away on the "if he stays healthy", but its true. Unless we bring in a top guy for $30M+, Austin is our best guy. I also think Gabbi can get 10-15 too. Thats why I think we are ok with those two if we improve the midfield attackers. Sure it would be great to get Salah, but we're not going to. Austin and Gabbi together is not a bad PL tandem.
Hardly strikes fear into the opposition though does it? Two slow strikers up front

If Austin stays healthy this season.