Looking forward to start of season?

whelk

Normally I am so looking forward for it all to start back again. Not so much this season. Don’t know if is cos World Cup means hasn’t been a drought or that we have been a bit sh 1t lately. Or just PL is eating itself. Can’t even be arsed to look at Fantasy Football either.

Normally I am so looking forward for it all to start back again. Not so much this season. Don’t know if is cos World Cup means hasn’t been a drought or that we have been a bit sh 1t lately. Or just PL is eating itself. Can’t even be arsed to look at Fantasy Football either.

Prob a bit to do with the WC but know how you feel.

Looking forward to it partially.

I feel bored as ***** on a Saturday after a week at work!

But on the flip side not looking forward to being all grumpy the following week if we do sh*t :lol:

The transfer window and all that etc has died down on me this year admittedly- usually used to love the deadlines and tuning into Sky Sports News but now it’a all a circus.

Last 2 seasons of nonsense and mismanagement (on and off the field) has killed fans spirits and excitement.

Club needs a hero and right now we have a team full of average. If anyone does step up, they'll be sold asap.

We are just making up the numbers. Here to trail players for the proper football clubs

Dilly Dilly

Last 2 seasons of nonsense and mismanagement (on and off the field) has killed fans spirits and excitement.

Club needs a hero and right now we have a team full of average. If anyone does step up, they'll be sold asap.

We are just making up the numbers. Here to trail players for the proper football clubs

Dilly Dilly

Ever feel like you’re supporting the wrong club? You’ve just described 130 years of Saints history, give or take the early 1900s, 1976, Le Tiss and Channon, and Pochettino and Koeman.

I’m always excited for a new season... it is always a clean slate and nowadays, a new team with every new season. I’m long enough in the tooth to know that lots of new signings does not necessarily equal a good side. Instead good coaching and management can make the difference. My favourite team over the last decade was forged by Poche from previous unspectacular players under Adkins. I’m totally sure that Hughes is not the right man in the long term but I’m equally sure that he is right for us this season. A squad cannot be re-built in one summer, but this has been a start; I’m excited to see how Gunn, Verstergaard, Elyounoussi and Armstrong perform, and with Sims and Gallagher currently around the squad, there is the opportunity for one of our own to make the grade. I’ve watched Sims with interest since I saw him really stand out in one game as a 16 year old, so the prospect of him playing first team football is exciting for me. We’re unlikely to pull up any trees this season- it rightly needs to be the first step in re-building the squad and getting back to old values- but there’s definitely plenty to get excited about for now.

Well up for it like the start of every season. The world cup was ok but club football trumps international football for me every time. At the end of the day its a chance to get out of the house, spend some quality time with my son, meet up with friends and family, go for a couple of drinks and meal and watch some footie and support my club what's not to like?*

*other than losing :x

I’m always excited for a new season... it is always a clean slate

I’m excited to see how Gunn, Verstergaard, Elyounoussi and Armstrong perform

It's not a clean slate though sadly. We still have the same useless management team (off field) and the same players that didn't seem to give any ****s as we plummeted towards the championship.

We have sold our most creative player (Tadic) and loaned out our most exciting (Boufal) as well as our record signing (Carillo)

Again we've not spent any of the £150m+ we receive from TV, gates, commercial activity ect and just net nil transfer spend once again. That's 4 summers in a row now.....where is the money going (FF possibly)

Whose our best player now? Club has No heroes, no legends and no hope of keeping anyone that does show any promise.

Yoshida is now one of our best players ffs.

We had a chance to push forward recently but completely ****ed it up. Now just boring same old, same old

The off season is always sh*t, at least we can go back to having actual football to discuss and we can start getting a picture of how good this team actually is.

Got my ticket for Burnley and looking forward to it. Win, lose or draw, I'm looking forward to a day out with my mates and watching a competitive match.

It's not a clean slate though sadly. We still have the same useless management team (off field) and the same players that didn't seem to give any ****s as we plummeted towards the championship.

We have sold our most creative player (Tadic) and loaned out our most exciting (Boufal) as well as our record signing (Carillo)

Again we've not spent any of the £150m+ we receive from TV, gates, commercial activity ect and just net nil transfer spend once again. That's 4 summers in a row now.....where is the money going (FF possibly)

Whose our best player now? Club has No heroes, no legends and no hope of keeping anyone that does show any promise.

We had a chance to push forward recently but completely ****ed it up. Now just boring same old, same old

Blimey, you have managed to make Alpine sound like an upbeat, happy clapping optimist!

I'm very much looking forward to it. We have a trimmed down squad without the uncommitted Boufal, the wastes of wages Carrillo and Clasie (and soon you would expect Forster), and we have made signings that on paper look decent. We needed a dominant centre back and have signed a giant, we have needed strength in the goalkeeping department and have signed one of the top young prospects in the country, and we have added some dynamism and creativity to midfield. Granted we sold Tadic which is a shame but he rarely turned up every game anyway. Additionally, so far, we've held on "jewels" like Cedric, Bertrand, Lemina and Gabbiadini. But mostly I'm looking forward to actually having a manager who seems to care about the club and isn't prepared to take any crap. We also have a very winnable first game against Burnley, and if we make a positive start to the season we could even be high up in the table come October. The transfer window isn't over either, I reckon we will see another player or two coming in yet.

Keep the negativity at bay until later in the season if it's needed, for now I'm happy and positive that the season is around the corner!

I’ve got very low expectations - I think the squad is relegation material but think Hughes has enough about him to keep us up - 16th. On the flip side I’m hoping my pessimism will bring joy when we do better than that and maybe even have another cup run or famous win vs top 6...

Problem is we need to somehow get some good youth coming through, ship out the bloated squad and get a new head of scouting. Thatll take time so we may need to accept a few years of struggle

But you’re almost entirely talking about stuff that happens off the pitch, stuff that we can’t affect, stuff that doesn’t matter one iota for 90 minutes every week. Why would you worry about how much or how little money the club have in the bank? It doesn’t change your life. Why does it concern you that Les Reed still has a job at the club? Without him, Saints aren’t going to suddenly start spunking silly money on established stars. Our chance to push on wasn’t missed, it was just a moment in the sun while big clubs got their houses in order. Have Leicester pushed on from winning the Premier League? No; they’ve just settled back in to their place in the world. Like us, they missed nothing, because the Big Six is now unbreakable. Have you seen the figures City have spent to secure their place at the top table? Newsflash: we aren’t going to get there, never were. We just need to play the cyclical game of trying to finish as high as possible, along with 14 other clubs. There will be bad times, regardless of who is in charge. Risks will be taken, some will work and some not. Poor decisions will be made.

But ultimately football, and Saints, is far more enjoyable if you look past all that stuff off the field, and just enjoy the day.

But you’re almost entirely talking about stuff that happens off the pitch, stuff that we can’t affect, stuff that doesn’t matter one iota for 90 minutes every week. Why would you worry about how much or how little money the club have in the bank? It doesn’t change your life. Why does it concern you that Les Reed still has a job at the club? Without him, Saints aren’t going to suddenly start spunking silly money on established stars. Our chance to push on wasn’t missed, it was just a moment in the sun while big clubs got their houses in order. Have Leicester pushed on from winning the Premier League? No; they’ve just settled back in to their place in the world. Like us, they missed nothing, because the Big Six is now unbreakable. Have you seen the figures City have spent to secure their place at the top table? Newsflash: we aren’t going to get there, never were. We just need to play the cyclical game of trying to finish as high as possible, along with 14 other clubs. There will be bad times, regardless of who is in charge. Risks will be taken, some will work and some not. Poor decisions will be made.

But ultimately football, and Saints, is far more enjoyable if you look past all that stuff off the field, and just enjoy the day.

:thumbup: you're wasting your time on him though he plays golf on matchdays anyway

You make a good point though these days fans seem to get caught up in all sorts of stuff we never seemed to care about in the old days. Things like the publishing of the clubs accounts spark massed debate these days, how much players are paid, back room staff, club PR videos, what players do on social media, what the owner eats for breakfast etc etc all stuff as you point out I don't give a moments thought to when I'm at the game. Guess that's the internet for you.

Youre probably right.

Good post bro

I’ve got very low expectations - I think the squad is relegation material but think Hughes has enough about him to keep us up - 16th. On the flip side I’m hoping my pessimism will bring joy when we do better than that and maybe even have another cup run or famous win vs top 6...

Problem is we need to somehow get some good youth coming through, ship out the bloated squad and get a new head of scouting. Thatll take time so we may need to accept a few years of struggle

Spot on comment

Indeed yes, every season is different and often turns out to be quite the opposite to what you expect. I will be off up to St Mary's on Wednesday and Saturday re-invigorated by the up-beat noises coming out of Staplewood - if we can believe all the stuff posted on the OS - and it's always great to see new faces coming in with all the first day promise that we hope they bring with them.

I just have a hunch that the smiles on the faces of Hughes and his staff may be indicative of him not being able to believe his luck at having such a talented squad of young players at his disposal, possibly for the first time in his career asa top flight manager.

Hope springs eternal and for the next few days everything will seem possible. That's why we go to matches come rain or shine.

For those that didn't go...the "beers" gone up £4.40 for a bottle of p1ss last night shocking only bought it because we were late.

Thanks for the heads up. I always do my best to drink before I get to the ground but I'll think twice at this price if I get the urge for a half-time beer.

Pretty indifferent to be honest, i eventually renewed but the premier league has sapped a lot of my enjoyment out of the game. It doesn't help that you pretty much know the top six before the season has started and you can take a good stab at the winners of most of the competitions without much of a risk.