Dijon Friendly

striker

If most French teams are crap then Everton are in real trouble losing 4-1 to Rennes

Rennes came 5th and are in Europe, Lamouchi is a wise old owl. Think they start their qualification games soon. Saw some of that game. Everton are just way too offensive with Silva and when the oppo has speedy african wingers it's just asking for trouble. Baines and Coleman don't seem to defend any more and with a 2-1-1-4-2 system that they seem to have it's just asking for trouble. Doubt if Silva will last very long, maybe just a month or two.

Edited by Window Cleaner

They played in the '3rd' kit, loving it more each time I see it.

It's a nice kit and should probably be the main one as it's predominantly our team colours (ok, maybe needs a bit more white) but is totally unnecessary apart from ripping off some of our more naive supporters !

The yellow/blue alternative covers all options so I really can't see when we'd need to wear this 3rd one in competitive games !

No, I'm just not a fan of the bog average Ligue 1. Everybody knows that, I've seen it degraded little by little every year due to pure lack of money and now it's what I say it is, absolute rubbish below the 8th or 9th place. When I first came here I went to games every week. then a couple of time a month and then I got fed up paying a decent amount of money to watch public rec football.

And yet France are still world champions for the second time in 20 years. Whilst most people over here blame the fact that we have too many "foreigners" in the EPL, hampers England doing better.....

And yet France are still world champions for the second time in 20 years. Whilst most people over here blame the fact that we have too many "foreigners" in the EPL, hampers England doing better.....

that has little to do with the standard of their league

How many of the France 2018 group play in the lower bastions of Ligue 1 ? None at all is the answer. In fact none of them play for a club outside of the Top 4. This is normal because of the vast gulf in annual budgets. Dijon's annual budget is a couple of million more than we wasted on Carrillo. So they and their other 15 Ligue 1 also rans can never keep hold of a decent player because they just can't pay enough. France produces some excellent footballers, most of them of African descent these days but they can't keep them in France.

I know the friendlies so far have been all about fitness and Mark Hughes getting a real feel for the squad but i for one am worried.

I've seen nothing so far from these friendlies that tells me things will be different from last season. We put 2 past an extremely poor Dijon.......not exactly inspiring stuff!

I look at our current squad and look at who i would fear as an opposition player.......at the moment i see nothing that would worry me.

I'm going Wednesday night and really hope i see something that will make me feel a bit positive about the new season.

If most French teams are crap then Everton are in real trouble losing 4-1 to Rennes

Having been disappointed with our 3-0 defeat by Derby it is comforting to learn that Everton have been absolutely dire in their 4 friendlies to date.

They have lost all of them including a 3-0 defeat at Blackburn which could have been more.

Apparently Everton were dire at the back and our old friend Morgan has had stinkers whenever he has been on the pitch.

Surprised to see that Steklenberg and Martina are still with Everton so that may say something.

However they still have players returning from the World Cup and seem to have more money to invest in their squad.

Still it is reassuring we werent the only team to get walloped by lower league teams

Having been disappointed with our 3-0 defeat by Derby it is comforting to learn that Everton have been absolutely dire in their 4 friendlies to date.

They have lost all of them including a 3-0 defeat at Blackburn which could have been more.

Apparently Everton were dire at the back and our old friend Morgan has had stinkers whenever he has been on the pitch.

Surprised to see that Steklenberg and Martina are still with Everton so that may say something.

However they still have players returning from the World Cup and seem to have more money to invest in their squad.

Still it is reassuring we werent the only team to get walloped by lower league teams

Everton are in the same boat as us, can't get really good players because they have no status and a turbulent managerial succession. Class players prefer to be a Utd or Juventus reserve than scrap it out in the nether regions of the Premier League. Digne (who'll probably go to the Toffees anyway) has recently said it was a last resort and he's still hoping for something better...great mentality anyway. Everton's awful fans get after their players for anything at all and even if they have a reasonable game they get regally slagged off by their band of haters. Who'd want to go there anyway.

Edited by Window Cleaner