Team for Burnley?

Dusic

I would say there aren't too many decisions to be made except from:

1. Will Cedric and Yoshida be up to speed in time as realistically will only have one friendly before the first game? We have no reasonable options instead of Cedric so hopefully he plays, but perhaps Yoshida will be given time to get up to speed again?

2. Which two start from Redmond, Armstrong and Moi? On this I think Moi will start on the bench, he has only had 2 x 45mins in pre season so far, so seems like they are easing him in.

---------------------McCarthy------------------

-----Bednarek--Vestergaard--Hoedt----

Cedric------Romeu-----Lemina------Bertrand

----------Redmond-------------Armstrong-----

--------------------------Austin-----------------------

Overall it looks a bottom 8 lineup to me, especially at CB and in the attacking three positions, which won't scare many teams.

Hell of a lot resting on Austin's fitness and Armstrong and Moi being able to score regularly in a far better league than they are used to.

1. Will Cedric and Yoshida be up to speed in time as realistically will only have one friendly before the first game? We have no reasonable options instead of Cedric so hopefully he plays, but perhaps Yoshida will be given time to get up to speed again?

2. Which two start from Redmond, Armstrong and Moi? On this I think Moi will start on the bench, he has only had 2 x 45mins in pre season so far, so seems like they are easing him in.

Overall it looks a bottom 8 lineup to me, especially at CB and in the attacking three positions, which won't scare many teams.

Hell of a lot resting on Austin's fitness and Armstrong and Moi being able to score regularly in a far better league than they are used to.

Armstrong seems to have a good game in France, but what has Redmond done to deserve a start? On the basis of recent form I would have Long and Gabby in the team and Austin on the bench.

Absolutely appaling attacking lineup there. Lower third of the table without a doubt.

We are really going to struggle again, aren’t we!

—————————————McCarthy—————————————-

————-Bednarek————Vestergaard————Hoedt—————

JWP—————Romeu———-Lemina—————-Bertrand———-

————Armstrong———————————-Gabbiadini—————

———————————Austin—————————————————

Yeah it’s crap. More attacking midfielders and strikers please Sparky!

for comparison Burnley's team for the last game of last season

Pope

Lowton

Long

Tarkowski

Ward

Lennon Substituted for McNeil at 90+4' minutes

Cork

Westwood

Berg Gudmundsson Substituted for Wells at 80'minutes

Hendrick

Wood Substituted for Vokes at 61' minutes

It will be a 0-0 or 1-1 boring game anyway, first few games we may see system changes and some starters and bench players rotated to find the right team for the season going forward, I don't really pay attention to the first 4/5 games, having more then 4 points from them is a bonus.

We are built to be a top 10 team if everyone stays fit with potential to be good with the young players we have signed the last two seasons all or most being 26 or under.

As the OP says' date=' Yoshi is not even back from his holidays yet.[/quote']

Think he actually is now, left Japan yesterday. Cedric on the other hand is still on holiday as far as I can see. Doubt either will be ready to start v Burnley, though of the two Yoshida is more likely. Think we will likely go McCarthy, Stephens, Vestergaard, Hoedt, McQueen, Bertrand, Romeu, Armstrong, Davis, Gabbi, Austin

for comparison Burnley's team for the last game of last season

Pope

Lowton

Long

Tarkowski

Ward

Lennon Substituted for McNeil at 90+4' minutes

Cork

Westwood

Berg Gudmundsson Substituted for Wells at 80'minutes

Hendrick

Wood Substituted for Vokes at 61' minutes

IMO Burnley comparisons are irrelevant, because we would be unable to setup like they do.

We don't have the same squad profile, Manager, ground, location, fanbase that would approve of that style of football etc.

Our lineup is quite lacking in quality. What Burnley's lineup is or was does not change that at all.

If we compare to previous seasons we are weaker all over the park apart from maybe gk. We best pray that our new attacking signings are up to scratch because our midfield seems to be one of the weakest since promotion. Does anyone have the lineup for our first game back in the top flight for comparison? I just hope we play some entertaining football.

Edited by hypochondriac

If we want to get the best out of Armstrong (I like what I’ve seen pre-season), I think we need to play him in the 10 or as a 3 in the middle.

Personally I’d go 4231

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Redmond

Armstrong

Elyounoussi

Austin

However I suspect he’ll go for a back 3/5. If he does, I hope he goes:

(5-1-3-1)

Cedric-Bednarek-Vestergaard-Yoshida-Bertrand

—————-——— Lemina——- —————-

Redmond——-Armstrong———-elyounoussi

—————Austin——————

Similar set up to England in the WC

--------------——--McCarthy----------------

—-----Yoshida--Vestergaard--Hoedt————

Cedric------Hojbjerg-----Lemina------Bertrand

------Armstrong-------------Elyounousse-----

-------------------Gabbiadini -----------------

Tried to do a bench but loads are going to miss out!

That side is clearly the best line up as things stand. Perhaps an argument for Romeu instead of Hoj. Still a desperate need for another striker and probably another wide attacking recruit. I don't want to see too much of Long, Austin, Redmond or Ward-Prowse in starting line ups this season.

IMO Burnley comparisons are irrelevant, because we would be unable to setup like they do.

We don't have the same squad profile, Manager, ground, location, fanbase that would approve of that style of football etc.

Our lineup is quite lacking in quality. What Burnley's lineup is or was does not change that at all.

So in a thread about what team to play against Burnley the Burnley team is irrelevant? what an odd way to look at it for starters Burnley's style and defence would effect our choice of attacking players would it not?

Why you find irrelevant is because your post isn't really about the team for Burnley but just because you want to point out how weak you think our team is as if you are the only one to have noticed we have some issues in the team :lol:

If anything what Burnley's team proves is how utterly average everyone outside the top six is a few teams have a stand out player like Vardy or Zaha but most are just a bit ****e what Burnley proved was a lot of hard work and team spirit (something we didn't have) can give you a decent season. Our team is utterly average but so are all the others outside the top six.

If we want to get the best out of Armstrong (I like what I’ve seen pre-season), I think we need to play him in the 10 or as a 3 in the middle.

Personally I’d go 4231

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Redmond

Armstrong

Elyounoussi

Austin

However I suspect he’ll go for a back 3/5. If he does, I hope he goes:

(5-1-3-1)

Cedric-Bednarek-Vestergaard-Yoshida-Bertrand

—————-——— Lemina——- —————-

Redmond——-Armstrong———-elyounoussi

—————Austin——————

Similar set up to England in the WC

Like both those teams, and I don't get the doom and gloom on here. I'm expecting us to do better than last season.

It will be 5311, it will be largely dull, and we will probably make mistakes at the back and struggle to score...the team is so weak. If you look through pretty much everyone’s best XI in the league, ours is comfortably bottom 5/6 probably bottom 3.

Utterly ridiculous that it looks like we’re going into another season with **** strikers.

It will be 5311, it will be largely dull, and we will probably make mistakes at the back and struggle to score...the team is so weak. If you look through pretty much everyone’s best XI in the league, ours is comfortably bottom 5/6 probably bottom 3.

Utterly ridiculous that it looks like we’re going into another season with **** strikers.

Austin has scored plenty of goals in this league and Gabbiadini showed signs in his first 6 months here that he can be a big player for us in this league. Long is a decent bench option to run at tired legs and we'll have to see if Hughes rates Gallagher or not, he was a pretty decent striker himself so I think we should trust his judgement. It shouldn't be forgotten just how terrible the management of the team was last year, particularly with our attacking players, and I think they are better than they have shown

..............McCarthy

Cedric Yoshida Vestergaard Bertrand

....Lemina Romeu Armstrong

Redmond Gabbiadini Elyounoussi

If we can shift a few fringe players and bring in a Redmond upgrade then it doesn't look a bad side on paper, assuming the new signings are up to it (big if as always)

Agree, horrific attack.

We can't play Armstrong and Austin, so slow. Anyway, Armstrong should be competition in central mid not some guaranteed starter further forward. in the 343 you can play him CM and have more goal threat, and play 3 more attacking players in front. Think it'd work well for home games. Otherwise play him in a 433.

McCarthy

Bednarek Vestergaard Bertrand

Cedric Romeu Armstrong Targett

Redmond Gabbiadini Mo

What are we going to need pace for? no way are Burnley going to set up playing a high line or leaving space in behind for us to exploit there will be a back four protected by a bank of five sitting deep. Saints will have next to no counter attacking opportunities.

Most likely scenario is us camped out in their half trying to break them down while Burnley look for a break or a set piece to nick a goal.

Given that Austin would be the most suited of our strikers for this game. Armstrong apparently has a good long range shot on him which would also be beneficial in a game like this.

Some people said in the pre-season games that Mo is very much like Tadic so he could be the key to breaking Burnley down though he hasn't played a lot of pre-season.

I really don't so a reason for playing three at the back for this game given the way it will, most likely, play out. I really don't think we will need 3 CBs to stop one isolated Burnley striker feeding off scraps.

Austin has scored plenty of goals in this league and Gabbiadini showed signs in his first 6 months here that he can be a big player for us in this league. Long is a decent bench option to run at tired legs and we'll have to see if Hughes rates Gallagher or not, he was a pretty decent striker himself so I think we should trust his judgement. It shouldn't be forgotten just how terrible the management of the team was last year, particularly with our attacking players, and I think they are better than they have shown

..............McCarthy

....Lemina Romeu Armstrong

Redmond Gabbiadini Elyounoussi

If we can shift a few fringe players and bring in a Redmond upgrade then it doesn't look a bad side on paper, assuming the new signings are up to it (big if as always)

But it doesn't look likely, that we're going to play 4 at the back, especially when we have so many CB's.

I'd be tempted to play something like your set up though...

..............McCarthy

...........Lemina Romeu..................

Redmond-Armstrong-Elyounoussi

......Gabbiadini / Austin................

I thought we had a couple of Friendlies before the start of the PL season

So I am going to wait until then before suggesting the team versus Burnley.

But when McCarthy and Bertrand are the only ones I think will definitely play along with the new CB it just shows that we don't have many standout players

If we compare to previous seasons we are weaker all over the park apart from maybe gk. We best pray that our new attacking signings are up to scratch because our midfield seems to be one of the weakest since promotion. Does anyone have the lineup for our first game back in the top flight for comparison? I just hope we play some entertaining football.

Davis

Clyne

Hoover

Fonte

Fox

Ward Prowse (Davis)

Schneiderlin

Lallana

Do Prado

Puncheon (Sharp)

Rodriguez (Lambert)

When you look at that line up we have definitely gone backwards and need two, perhaps three more in this window alone to be competitive. I really like the look of the incoming players this summer but a series of atrocious windows has weakened us so we are playing catch up.

I can't see where the goals are going to come from, but can see where they might go in. This is not good for a football team.

Seeing as we played with one hand tied behind our backs for most of last season with the game plan of MoPe, then when Hughes took over so late with the danger of relegation hanging over us and the restrictions the fear of losing brings. You would hope that maybe the shackles will be off and what ever team we field plays with a bit more freedom.

Maybe with someone like Redmond and his heated final whistle discussion with Guardiola, what he claims he said back to him, with hindsight, was probably true. Pretty sure I recall reading something from an interview Gabbi gave to the Italian press, they asked him why after such a blistering start for Saints in front of goal he suffered a drought. He responded by saying that the manager (Puel) changed the way we played so he wasn't getting the same service. Well we all know that Pelligrino just picked up where Puel left off and selected reverse. Then anyone who went to the Huddersfield away game could clearly see Lemina doing his nut in midfield, because no one was showing for him to make a forward attacking pass.

Whilst we don't have a team of household names outside Hampshire, the line up on the lists above, that some folks are shaking their heads in dismay at, is only as bad as the system they were made to play in for the last season and a third: and we had to watch. If the 3 players mentioned here, and others are let off the leash and allowed to play in a more positive manner who knows what will happen.

We have good players, who under-performed last year due to the way they were managed. After all, that's why Pellegrino was sacked. The three new outfield signings have been brought in to add quality to the team so I hope to see them all start in the Burnley game. I'm feeling confident that we'll start the season with a home win.

Seeing as we played with one hand tied behind our backs for most of last season with the game plan of MoPe, then when Hughes took over so late with the danger of relegation hanging over us and the restrictions the fear of losing brings. You would hope that maybe the shackles will be off and what ever team we field plays with a bit more freedom.

Maybe with someone like Redmond and his heated final whistle discussion with Guardiola, what he claims he said back to him, with hindsight, was probably true. Pretty sure I recall reading something from an interview Gabbi gave to the Italian press, they asked him why after such a blistering start for Saints in front of goal he suffered a drought. He responded by saying that the manager (Puel) changed the way we played so he wasn't getting the same service. Well we all know that Pelligrino just picked up where Puel left off and selected reverse. Then anyone who went to the Huddersfield away game could clearly see Lemina doing his nut in midfield, because no one was showing for him to make a forward attacking pass.

Whilst we don't have a team of household names outside Hampshire, the line up on the lists above, that some folks are shaking their heads in dismay at, is only as bad as the system they were made to play in for the last season and a third: and we had to watch. If the 3 players mentioned here, and others are let off the leash and allowed to play in a more positive manner who knows what will happen.

Pretty good post this. I still think the first XI could be a lot stronger but Les has really done the club at the knee caps (a rival couldn't have done any more damage) with his appalling decision-making on record signings, Forster new deal etc which will take a few windows to repair. Puel and Pellegrino were astonishingly dour, especially the latter. At least we aren't Leganes fans this season. Gabbiadini was so instinctive when he first joined (the movement, but also no-one else would have tried that wonderful first time shot v West Ham) and somehow we've got to try to get him back to that mindset. Maybe with Moi's movement that'll happen? You could see Lemina's frustrations at times as well, and Romeu's which he hinted in the press at. Also, people slate Redmond but I'd like to have seen him play for Koeman, we've only seen him under the French and Argentinian Branfoots so far.

This season has to be about improvement, probably lower-mid, hopefully not too much of a relegation scrap and top half would be LMA Manager of the Year territory. We've got rid of some of the worst rotten apples and are trying to move others on, as fans we need to get behind them this season and by staying in the PL for another 2-3 years hopefully we can reverse Les Reed's severe damage that he has caused.

My hopes rest with a change from last season's attitude, which we've heard of from some of the players, let alone having to watch it, and the new outfield recruits who all seem level-headed and under no illusions that this league will be anything than a step-up.

It's difficult to tell from the friendlies we've played, but Armstrong seems to push forward with a bit of pace, and if Bertie can put in first time crosses like he did against Dijon it'll trouble much better defences. Unfortunately I can't make the home friendlies, but it'll be interesting for fans to watch, and see what we can glean about what to expect against Burnley.

The negative mindset that blames Les Reed for everything continues from the usual suspects. It seemed to me that fans welcomed the decisions when they were made:-

Boufal - Morrocco international since 2016, 14 goals for Lille in 43 games, high level technical skills;

Forster - England no.2 keeper, wanted by other clubs, capable of some amazing saves;

Carrillo - according to Wikipedia, a fan favourite at Estudiantes, interest from Inter and Benfica, scored 15 goals for Monaco;

Clasie - 17 caps for The Netherlands, recruited because Koeman wanted him.

But once these players failed to perform at Southampton, 20-20 hindsight set in for some people. Buying players is always a risk, even some players bought for millions more than Saints would ever pay, have flopped for other clubs. Slagging off the recruitment department or the Vice-Chairman of Football just shows how easy it is to be clever after the event. The same recruitment department has brought in players who, when they have insisted on moving to another club, have left Southampton with substantial profits.