Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Saints Podcast 18/19: with Adam Leitch (Daily Echo) and Steve Grant (SaintsWeb)

1. Default

Steve's prediction for Man City

My first listen and I’ll be tuning in again. Pretty much bang on in all areas.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Steve's prediction for Man City
    I'm still chuckling at it. All that positive build up......then wallop!

B

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    My first listen and I’ll be tuning in again. Pretty much bang on in all areas.
    Thanks for letting us know. Glad you enjoyed it - and welcome aboard!

Thanks
    Ben

5. Default

Considering everything that is going on on the pitch currently (or isn't!), Episode 49 of Total Saints Podcast seemed to turn out alright in the end.

Ben, Steve and Adam review on the drab 0-0 draw with Newcastle. Many deemed it 'must win', but again it was a largely a load of rubbish.

We also reflect on the sad goings on at Leicester City, that meant the postponement of our Carabao Cup fixture this week - and quite rightly so. We also discuss the next PL fixture against Manchester City - with a large amount of nervousness and pessimism!

Finally, to break up the monotony of Saints in the current period, we introduce our first/pilot 'Total Recall' feature, where we will look back at memorable wins (maximum of one a Pod!) from over the years - players, goals, decisions etc.

Our first (obviously!) is the 2003 December stuffing of Harry Redknapp's Portsmouth. Glorious stuff!

The Podcast is available on a number of channels, including Google Podcasts and the below links:

SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2EOhm0s

iTunes: https://apple.co/2FiJ0zk

acast: https://bit.ly/2qkc8iN

Hope (for those wishing to listen) it brings an element of lightheartedness, and levelheadedness, to proceedings. Always happy to take feedback - positive and/or constructive.

Cheers
    B

6. Default

Summed up as "Without some level of change Saints will eventually go down, if not this season then next." "Poor transfer windows."

Accurate about our situation.
    Last edited by Topcat; 30-10-2018 at 08:16 PM.

7. Default

Just listened to Ep.51. A really good listen as always.

Funnily enough, I'd only just re-watched the highlights of the 'grey shirt' game a few days before, so I was nicely up to speed on the look back at that game.

8. Default

Steve Grant, a great summary of the problems going into the game. "We had 9 players starting".

Hoedt and Austin a waste of space and dragged down the team.

Adam v interesting re financial implication of sacking Hughes.

Begs the question: why give him 3 years? He would surely have agreed to less as no other PL jobs on the table for him.

One error compounding another seems to be the new Southampton Way.

Gaoing backwards, fast.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Steve Grant, a great summary of the problems going into the game. "We had 9 players starting".

Hoedt and Austin a waste of space and dragged down the team.
    Yeah, good use of stats to back the Austin argument up.

Merrington post-match was saying Obafemi should have been on way earlier vs Fulham.

11. Default

Yeah, good use of stats to back the Austin argument up.

Merrington post-match was saying Obafemi should have been on way earlier vs Fulham.
    Thanks guys. Glad you enjoyed it (if you can call it that!)

Think its easy to bash player performances at the moment, especially when emotions are high. Having stats to back it up will always add more credibility to/for an opinion. Its evident to all that Austin has to offer more than he currently is. The bigger question is whether he can be bothered to do so. But that could go for almost all of them!

Anyway, I'll post the Episode 51 Podcast links (for those that would like to listen) further down here, when I'm home from work later tonight.

Cheers
    Ben

It is a shame about Charlie as he does have the heart but has lost his legs. Last season it was obvious he couldnt sprint as he is fearful his hamstrings would go again.
    Reed and co should have seen this and made plans for another goalscorer. It has been like it for 3 seasons now.

13. Default

Just listened to Ep.51. A really good listen as always.

Funnily enough, I'd only just re-watched the highlights of the 'grey shirt' game a few days before, so I was nicely up to speed on the look back at that game.

Hoedt, Cedric and Austin could do with watching that to get tips from Monkou, Nielson and Shipperley.

14. Default

As mentioned earlier, the links below for TSP Episode 51 (for anyone wishing to listen)

The 3 of us reflect on another disappointing result at Fulham, as well as ahead to the upcoming games against Leicester City (Carabao Cup) and Manchester United (Premier League).

Thankfully, to bring some much needed enjoyment (hopefully!), this week's Total Recall goes all the way back to April 1996 - and Saints fantastic 3-1 win over Alex Ferguson's Red Devils. Will Dawe and Leon Burton from Saints Archive join us to reminisce about a much better moment in time.

Full TSP51 discussion points:

> The international break
    > Fulham defeat
    > Pierre Emile-Hojbjerg (c)
    > Stuart Armstrong off the mark
    > Mark Hughes - what now?
    > TSP Poll - Stick or twist?
    > Total Recall - Man Utd, April ‘96
    > Leicester City Cup game preview
    > Manchester United PL preview

Podcast links:

acast: https://bit.ly/2r7zMzG

iTunes: https://apple.co/2OuQJys

SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2r6R8wp

Patreon: www.patreon.com/totalsaintspod

Thanks as always to those who do listen.

Cheers
    Ben (and Steve and Adam)

15. Default

It's interesting listening to the comments by Steve about Big Sam.

I think it's a sign of how utterly desperate I am that I think he'd be the best choice to save us.

Another great listen, and interesting thoughts. Just can’t agree with the idea to stick with Hughes and if we could get someone like BFS on a game by game basis then why not. Staying up is more important than gambling with the current manager, and you’d have to think at least he’d get us fit, motivated and organised. It can’t be worse than what we have. We could soon reach the point of no return...,

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LeBizzier69 View Post
    Another great listen, and interesting thoughts. Just canít agree with the idea to stick with Hughes and if we could get someone like BFS on a game by game basis then why not. Staying up is more important than gambling with the current manager, and youíd have to think at least heíd get us fit, motivated and organised. It canít be worse than what we have. We could soon reach the point of no return...,
    Thanks for listening. Glad you enjoyed it - and appreciate you letting us know.

Despite todayís result, it will indeed be interesting to see what the Club do over the short-term. We donít look like weíve given up playing for Hughes, but confidence and game management skills remain low.

As you say, itís reaching a critical stage of the season now. Stick or twist!?

B

18. Default

Just seen that there's a bonus mid-week edition episode due.

Looking forward to that. Has been an eventful week. (Hope it gets recorded before any Spurs misery!)

19. Default

Just seen that there's a bonus mid-week edition episode due.

Looking forward to that. Has been an eventful week. (Hope it gets recorded before any Spurs misery!)
    Yep, recording tomorrow night SuperSaint (due to Saints playing tonight - and Ralph only being confirmed earlier (we didn't want to jump the gun incase!))

Hope to have it all edited and ready to listen to Friday morning.

Ben

20. Default

A new manager - but same old Saints!

Yet another calamitous individual defensive error, this time by Jannik Vestergaard, saw Saints gift 3 points to Cardiff City this past weekend in the Premier League.

Reflecting on that disastrous result, and also previewing Arsenal in the upcoming EPL fixture, Ben Stanfield (Host), Steve Grant (Owner of SaintsWeb) and Adam Leitch (Chief Sport Writer, Daily Echo) join forces once more, for TSP Episode 54.

There's also a Fantasy Premier League update, and a shout-out to one Saints fan who has just wracked up 200 consecutive home and away games following the red and whites!

You can find the Podcast Episode here:

- Soundcloud: https://bit.ly/2zRDamT

- iTunes: https://apple.co/2OuQJys

- acast: https://bit.ly/2B7ykBZ

TSP is the dedicated weekly Podcast going to the heart of all things Saints!

Thanks as always to those that take the time to listen to the Podcast,

Ben

Twitter: @TotalSaintsPod
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/totalsaintspod
    E-Mail: totalsaintspodcast@yahoo.com
    Patreon: www.patreon.com/totalsaintspod

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but as I can't PM Steve Grant could you point out to him I paid my subs on 22 November. This is the last of my 3 posts today...

22. Default

Really good episode as per usual, lads.

- I perversely enjoy just how bad some of our stats have become.
    - I know swearing isn't allowed, so when one slips through, a wry grin always appears AKA "Stop defending like d*cks" (& the rest of the beeps)
    Last edited by SuperSAINT; 10-12-2018 at 10:36 PM.

For what it's worth, I personally don't count the words "d!ck" or "crap" as swearing. Others may have lower thresholds, obviously...

Quote Originally Posted by stevegrant View Post
    For what it's worth, I personally don't count the words "d!ck" or "crap" as swearing. Others may have lower thresholds, obviously...
    interesting you had to adapt the spelling to get through your sites swear filter Lol. So somebody thinks so and as I told John Bailey on another podcast, to listen to the broadcast at the breakfast table or even at my business it is not always good to have swearing going on as in ******** etc. I swear with the best of us but there does need to be some red lines

25. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stevegrant View Post
    Ben will be pleased to hear that such is the cleanliness of the podcast, Steve, that the "d*ck" comment stuck out like a sore thumb. (So to speak)

26. Default

Ben will be pleased to hear that such is the cleanliness of the podcast, Steve, that the "d*ck" comment stuck out like a sore thumb. (So to speak)

We certainly try to keep it clean - for the reason's mentioned by Nick up above - but, yes, aware its slightly 'evolved' lately.

That's why I mentioned it this weekend (and also added the 'beeps' in for a bit of fun).

Anyway, will try to keep it (particularly Steve ) to a minimum going forward.

B

Hard not to swear when they are playing like cnts

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Hard not to swear when they are playing like cnts
    This is also very true.

Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    interesting you had to adapt the spelling to get through your sites swear filter Lol. So somebody thinks so and as I told John Bailey on another podcast, to listen to the broadcast at the breakfast table or even at my business it is not always good to have swearing going on as in ******** etc. I swear with the best of us but there does need to be some red lines
    wonder if I should infract him for getting around the swear filter

Quote Originally Posted by JustMike View Post
    wonder if I should infract him for getting around the swear filter
    Lol Mike