7 days left

Heisenberg

I don't think we will see any more incomings we went early in the transfer window to get our targets. Now I think we are just looking to off load unwanted players.

I think everyone agrees there is more work to be done on the squad but sorting out every issue in one summer just isn't a realistic prospect imo.

I don't think we will see any more incomings we went early in the transfer window to get our targets. Now I think we are just looking to off load unwanted players.

I think everyone agrees there is more work to be done on the squad but sorting out every issue in one summer just isn't a realistic prospect imo.

We've been short of a striker for the best part of two years and even the Board recognised that (eventually) with the adept 'capture' of Carrillo. He's gone so I cannot believe (well, actually I can) that he will not replaced by someone other than Gallagher.

We need a striker though to outweigh the issues caused by Hughes poor defensive management.

Won’t a new 6’6’’ defender help with that? Any don’t our defensive issues predate Hughes rather than being ‘caused’ by him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the board and the owner know that we need a striker to replace Carillo. I suspect they will try to sell to fund this acquisition, going right up to the last minute, but if they don't then I suspect that the owner will sanction it anyway to protect his investment. The business case for replacing Carillo must be pretty compelling I would think.

It was clear we needed a striker in January hence the Carillo signing. I heard that we would have recalled Gallagher if the Carillo deal fell through. So, if Gallagher leaves I'd be amazed if we didn't bring someone in. I'd love us to anyway but Hughes comments from a week or so ago suggests we may not.

Would also love a pacy winger but don't think that will happen

Not too fussed about a right back as we probably have enough cover in the squad even without a recognised deputy.

Still need to shift Forster and perhaps one or two others

We've been short of a striker for the best part of two years and even the Board recognised that (eventually) with the adept 'capture' of Carrillo. He's gone so I cannot believe (well, actually I can) that he will not replaced by someone other than Gallagher.

I don't disagree but I haven't seen anyone linked with us that has a recent goal record any better than what we have. Oddly affordable prolific PL strikers seem to be in short supply.

Won’t a new 6’6’’ defender help with that? Any don’t our defensive issues predate Hughes rather than being ‘caused’ by him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, no.

Goals per game conceded:

Mark Hughes

14 conceded in 9 - 1.55 pg

MP

45 in 35 - 1.28 pg

CP

48 in 38 - 1.26 pg

But for me, it's more his record at other clubs.

It was clear we needed a striker in January hence the Carillo signing. I heard that we would have recalled Gallagher if the Carillo deal fell through.

/QUOTE]

Its such a shame it didn't fall through, would have saved us the best part of £20 million with the same or even better outcome ( Gallagher might have scored)

It was clear we needed a striker in January hence the Carillo signing. I heard that we would have recalled Gallagher if the Carillo deal fell through.

/QUOTE]

Its such a shame it didn't fall through, would have saved us the best part of £20 million with the same or even better outcome ( Gallagher might have scored)

There was no recall option for Sam - season long loan. Whether we had an option to buy/pay for that clause in the contract I don't know, but would not have been cheap. We bought Carillo in sheer desperation to save our season, and in a strange way it did - i.e. allowed MP to buy a player he felt would save us (at an inflated price) and when that didn't work, board finally smelt the coffee and go rid and we stayed up. Was that worth £20M? Probably.

id have been happy to pretty much plus the holes this window

van dijk out vestergaard in, ok but still a position we could have done with maybe another cb to replace another one of our poor cbs

tadic and boufal out , elyounoussi in, not sure yet if we can count armstrong as a replacement for one of these, looks more of a cm from his celtic days not sure if needed, might turn out great or just be a squad player. but we were linked with promes heavily in january without losing two creative players

carillo. we needed a striker when we bought him, have done nothing about replacing him yet. in one way i would like to see gabbi getting a lot of games think he could come good if the service was right. but we do still look thin up front.

gunn, ok looks potentially a great one for the future, but again id prefer to prioritise immediade first team right now. there are bigger issues then trying to be smart for a squad keeper as number 2, especially if forster is still here on a big wage.

I’d love to see us sign a good striker. I’d also like to see Gallagher and Sims given a team run of games. I’d be happy to come 15th if I could see our youngsters making progress

yes very good shout, just to see if our home-grown is good or running on near empty.

I’d love to see us sign a good striker. I’d also like to see Gallagher and Sims given a team run of games. I’d be happy to come 15th if I could see our youngsters making progress

Had we not conceded those last second goals at Everton and Watford, we'd have been 15th last season. You'd honestly happily sit through last season again but with those 2 very minor tweaks?

Absolutely no way IMO, I want us to be fighting for a top half spot.

I'd rather we finished 8th, playing good football, and played whatever players were good enough achieve that. Boll0x to sentiment.

Jeez anyone would think it was the 1st of December in the bloody Turkey shed reading some of the Lilly Livered clap trap above.

Hughes is pants

We ain’t going to be winning anything with kids....................we weren’t going to be winning much on paper anyway.

defence is like Swiss cheese.

washing machines are going to be working overtime in the morning laundering bed linen.......... we ain’t kicked a ball in anger yet!

I'd rather we finished 8th, playing good football, and played whatever players were good enough achieve that. Boll0x to sentiment.

Agreed. There is a happy medium involving good performances, youth development, and trusting proven and reliable players at the same time.

We just need to find it.

Jeez anyone would think it was the 1st of December in the bloody Turkey shed reading some of the Lilly Livered clap trap above.

Hughes is pants

We ain’t going to be winning anything with kids....................we weren’t going to be winning much on paper anyway.

defence is like Swiss cheese.

washing machines are going to be working overtime in the morning laundering bed linen.......... we ain’t kicked a ball in anger yet!

You appear not to be aware of how the internet football forum game of "told you so / glad I was proven wrong" works? ;)

You appear not to be aware of how the internet football forum game of "told you so / glad I was proven wrong" works? ;)

:D

Alas I do, but goodness me this season the game seems to be being played with a bit more fervour!!! it’s become like retail where Christmas is being snuck out onto the shelves before the August Bank Holiday and this year probably more like Argos where their Back to School TV advertising campaign started before the majority of UK kids had broken up for the long Summer Holibobs!!

I thought it would have at least waited until after Celta Vigo had smashed us off the park and Boufal had smoked at least 4 absolute screamers into the back of our onion bag tonight!! :D

We went into the window needing a CB, RB (cover) and RW/FW.... we still need a CB, RB (cover) and RW/FW.

Think we could get away with Reed as RB cover, but the others we still need and pretty quickly.

We went into the window needing a CB, RB (cover) and RW/FW.... we still need a CB, RB (cover) and RW/FW.

Think we could get away with Reed as RB cover, but the others we still need and pretty quickly.

I'm with you in thinking if we play 3 centre backs all season we could use another, but with the signing of Vestergaard we do have 5, whatever their quality. Then there is the "whatif" if we ditch the 3 centre backs for 2, meaning we then have 4 unhappy centre backs a lot of the time. I think we'll stick with the 5 we have, and there's always the option of Bertrand or even young Jones if we are that desperate.

Right back is an interesting one - Reed seems the obvious choice as back up as he played there fairly successfully last season, but it seems Hughes is trying out other options. I don't like a left footer there but Targett seems to have had a good game there tonight, and then there's the crossing ability of JWP but without the pace. However all these are stop gaps and if Cedric was out long term, I'd dread to think what would happen. However again I don't see us bringing in another right back when we have options in the squad (and Cedric did play most of the games last season meaning Pied never got a look in).

That leaves attacking midfield and striker - now here we DO need a little surgery. Going into a season with Austin, Long, Gabbiadini and Gallagher would be risky, although not completely without hope. Austin is a natural goalgetter if he can stay fit, Gabbiadini has good movement and also offers versatility with other attacking positions, Long bothers other teams with his running and "never say die" attitude (although he'd be the one I'd be selling), and Gallagher is raw but has height, a bit of pace and an eye for goal, and offers us something we don't have. I think Gallagher will be the most likely to be sold which is a shame, but we do need pace up front, but someone with pace who can finish, not like Long. As for attacking midfield, this is really the department that worries me. We have little strength in depth. Elyounoussi is the Tadic replacement, we need him to come good, Armstrong offers us something new perhaps, but then there is Redmond (who has spent the best part of 2 seasons doing very little) and Sims, who I rate but is hardly tried and tested.

If we were to bring in one more player, for me it would have to be a pacy attacking midfielder/winger type that can score goals. Quincy Promes would be absolutely perfect for us right now looking at his goal record.