Saints vs Celta - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Armstrong looks like he genuinely has something about him. There was a flash of Lallana in some of his touches.

Problem is, he'll get pigeon-holed like Tadic when he doesn't continuously hit giddy heights in every game.

McQueen looks terrible on the right and unfit. Bertrand looks skinnier than he ever has.

Used to like Long... can't seem to see the point in him now.

I’m guessing Kelvin Davis has had some goalkeeping input with that goal, no way he should be scoring at near post there. Long is ****, confirmed again before the season starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think it's much to do with the keeper at all, Bednarek gor absolutely schooled by Aspas. I see your point tho.

Alot more attacking intent, but sadly a distinct lack of quality and cohesion. Gabbi making loads of runs that players do not have the vision to pick out and its doing my head in.

Undone by quality in the final third that we don't have, other than that we're doing ok. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Powder puff in attack, fragile at the back and a midfield that likes to go back not forward, same problems as the last two to three years yet we have alarmingly done little to address the obvious imbalance in the squad.

Exactly.

We are all fart and no shi.te.

If only we had someone who could take the pressure off the defence and score some goals then we might win a few games 3-2.

Powder puff in attack, fragile at the back and a midfield that likes to go back not forward, same problems as the last two to three years yet we have alarmingly done little to address the obvious imbalance in the squad.
I'll agree with fragile at the back, but we have two first-choices defenders still out. Attack have had few chances, not getting the supply with the final pass. Not true that midfield are going backwards. Looking to move forwards with good movement. Need Elyounoussi to give a bit of craft.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

People can give the "it's only pre season" excuse all they want but the same issues are still visible from last season. We are a slow side to attack with sideways passes, this makes it virtually impossible for us to create clear chances and we cannot defend.
What game are you watching?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sat here at half time. Their first goal was excellent finishing their second was **** poor defending especially Shane Long.

Player wise Armstrong looks pretty good probably best player on the pitch in a saints shirt. Shane long still looks fecking awful. God knows why McQueen is playing RWB when he has no right foot at all.

We've had the lions share of the game some nice attacking moves let down by the usual **** poor finishing. Our defence hasn't had much to do not sure they could do much about the first certainly should have done better with the second.

Only pre-season but **** me that was a bad 1st half from a poor looking starting 11.

In reality Bednarek rinsed for both goals, back 3 looking an accident waiting to happen. Davis & Romeu look like a championship pairing. Awful from Long & McCarthy for the 2nd.

Armstrong looked bright and direct but a little rusty. Bertrand decent only positives.

Celta looking decent but I understand a week behind us in preperations! Sisto looks a player.

Romeu should be nowhere near that team, so slow and lethargic, nowhere near the player he was 2 years ago. Lemina and Hojbjerg need to start. In other news, Long is utter s****. How can management not see that. McQueen cant be a serious RB backup, looks uncomfortable out there.

Good stuff - Armstrong looks very good and his first thought is to drive forward. Gabbis movement looks good but pity hes isolated again

Alot more attacking intent, but sadly a distinct lack of quality and cohesion. Gabbi making loads of runs that players do not have the vision to pick out and its doing my head in.

Undone by quality in the final third that we don't have, other than that we're doing ok. The more things change the more they stay the same.

This. Gabbi has made several good runs but only Armstrong or Bertrand with the ability to spot it let along pick him out. Those two are playing well.

Some stinkers out there though - Davis even more ponderous than last year. Romeu poor and has given the ball away badly. McQueen at RB doesn’t work. Long poor, touch is terrible.

Fair play to Hughes if he keeps that lot up. Need to shift a few of the fringe players we could get cash for eg Targett, Reed and JWP, free up cash for some attacking pace and thrust. Will take pressure off the defence as well.

Davis and Romeu passengers tonight, aren’t screening back four, contributing to attacking thrust or pressing.