Saints vs Celta - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Sat on the bus first time I've seen us in the flesh this pre-season

Bad - defence still looks dodgy as ****. Hoedt being the main culprit he is just so mistake prone. But the whole back line, regardless of who was in I tonight, just seems not quite on with regards to picking up runners and being aware of what is around them.

Shane Long isn't getting any better.

Romeu still looks way off the player he was under Puel.

Finishing could be better first half we carved out some good chances with some good play and then finished them off with some **** poor finishing.

Pros - Armstrong looks a good player always looking to move the ball forward and scored a nice goal to.

Austin showed what he can do if you give him the ball in the box.

Targett can use his right foot.

Vestgaard can actually win the ball in the air. Not sure about players running at him though but at least he gives the back line an aerial presence.

Overall I thought we where decent in patches but many on the same issues from Las season are still hanging around like a bad smell.

The one thing that gives me hope is we haven't really put out what I think is our strongest team yet tho pre season.

Really enjoyed Gabbi's performance. In fact, I think he's looked pretty sharp all pre-season. I think we all know that there is a clever player in there, so hopfeully we can see a bit more of that.

Armstrong looks quality, for very little outlay, he is exactly what we wanted when we signed Gaston and Boufal. Looks a really good fit for us.

Really feel uncomfortable watching Hoedt though.

yup gabbi was superb. was getting scared he might slip out of favour like gaston and boufal. but hopefully hughes can see the potential and get the best out of him. his work rate, movement link up play was all great tonight, and he can shooot from distance if giving the space, got a feeling that shot that hit austin might have been going in :)

I see our Mark Hughes defence and lack of new striker is doing us well today.
Your not moaning any more .....its all gone quiet over there..

Give them a fcking chance....some complete dweebs on that first half thread.

Hughes took off the worst 3 players at half time go on give him credit it wont hurt you honest.

Still some worrying things but some good performances notably Armstrong and Gabbiadini. Gunn looks very assured.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interested with Targett at RWB. When him and Shaw were coming through we were always told that Targett had the better technique and crossing.

Good to see the right footed cross for the first. So often you see players turning back onto their favoured foot when played on the “wrong” side.

went to the game tonight and obviously delighted with the great turn around.

However had that been a Premiership game we would have been dead and buried by H/T.

WE ARE ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING AT THE BACK....I hope the new lad comes good but i'm not convinced he is any better than what we already have.

In what was a very poor first half the players that stood out for me were Armstrong, Gabbi and Bertrand.

Second half was so much better but lets be honest here we were playing a very ordinary Celta Vigo....but credit where credit is due the players that played in that second half put in a shift and were rewarded.

Great cross for the first goal and Austin did what he does so well......if he keeps fit and we provide the service he will score goals.

We need to keep Targett based on tonights performance.

Was really pleased for Armstrong when he scored because he had a busy game and could be a really good player for us.

I have said it from day one that Gabbi is the most intelligent of our strikers and he looked very good tonight.

Long was just bloody awful, Romeu and Davis were ponderous.

I really want MoEly to be that jewel in our crown and he did show some nice touches and finished the rebound well but overall I was disappointed in what i saw of him.....but it is early days and he is bedding in.

All in all great comeback and plenty of positives.....but i'm still massively concerned when teams attack us.

@Ian_Wilding1:

Terrific home debut by Stuart Armstrong for @SouthamptonFC tonight - Saints could have a real player on their hands

Also spoke to Mark Hughes who said Lemina has tonsillitis & Redmond fell awkwardly against Dijon. He hopes they’ll both be available on Saturday #saintsfc

Your not moaning any more .....its all gone quiet over there..

Give them a fcking chance....some complete dweebs on that first half thread.

Hughes took off the worst 3 players at half time go on give him credit it wont hurt you honest.

Still some worrying things but some good performances notably Armstrong and Gabbiadini. Gunn looks very assured.

So I imagined we conceded two goals today then did I?

As I have CONSISTENTLY said since we appointed him in March, I don't think Hughes can coach/manage a defence. He has done NOTHING to prove me incorrect.

Pros - Armstrong, Gabbi, Targett, Hoj, Austin, Vestegaard, Gunn, Bertrand

Cons - Davis, Long, Bednarek, McQ, Romeu

Have to say I was a little disappointed by El Mo as he didn’t do much other than the tap in at the end. Early days I guess.

went to the game tonight and obviously delighted with the great turn around.

However had that been a Premiership game we would have been dead and buried by H/T.

WE ARE ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING AT THE BACK....I hope the new lad comes good but i'm not convinced he is any better than what we already have.

In what was a very poor first half the players that stood out for me were Armstrong, Gabbi and Bertrand.

Second half was so much better but lets be honest here we were playing a very ordinary Celta Vigo....but credit where credit is due the players that played in that second half put in a shift and were rewarded.

Great cross for the first goal and Austin did what he does so well......if he keeps fit and we provide the service he will score goals.

We need to keep Targett based on tonights performance.

Was really pleased for Armstrong when he scored because he had a busy game and could be a really good player for us.

I have said it from day one that Gabbi is the most intelligent of our strikers and he looked very good tonight.

Long was just bloody awful, Romeu and Davis were ponderous.

I really want MoEly to be that jewel in our crown and he did show some nice touches and finished the rebound well but overall I was disappointed in what i saw of him.....but it is early days and he is bedding in.

All in all great comeback and plenty of positives.....but i'm still massively concerned when teams attack us.

Can’t disagree with any of that. Spot on

As I have CONSISTENTLY said since we appointed him in March, I don't think Hughes can coach/manage a defence. He has done NOTHING to prove me incorrect.

The first came from Davis giving it away and a worldy strike was that Hughes fault nope! Second was Long .. are either of those defenders?, Nope. Clean sheet second half did you mention that?

Was that our starting defence?

Keep bed wetting.

match ratings

mccarthy 5

No chance with first goal but shouldnt be beaten at his near post (Foster would have got slaughtered for that)

gunn,7 looked very assured in control and a couple of nice saves when needed

Agree

bednarek 4, looked unconfident and out of his depth worst of our cbs tonight

Would have given him a 5

stephens 6 looked a lot better then bednarek has a bit of a nasty streak which can also be good,prepared to make a foul if in trouble

More comfortable than the other three CB's on the ball but remains suspect defending

vestergaard,7 looked strong and composed and quite comfortable on the ball, like what i saw from him

Agree

hoedt,6 not too bad still looks a bit clums at times but won a few headers and distribution reasonably good

Agree. Think he got nutmegged twice

bertrand 6 looks fit and ready decentish game

Agree

mqueen 4. nothing special really here

I thought he was awful. Missed a great free header chance and did nothing else. Looked very sluggish

However to be fair to him he is and never will be a right back

targett 8 2 great assists especially the second one, think we may have backup for both wingback positions in one player, boy done well

Agree

romeau 7 steady performance from him at times decent balanced performance of good defense and creative at times

Agree

davis.5 not really anything special from him meh

Agree, Shame as he has been a decent player for us but the end is in sight

hojbjerg.7 i like this guy puts himself about well and has a warrior attitude. always seems fired up and cares alot love the energy he brings

A bit too gung ho at times and both he and Romeu would have been booked in a Prem game

armstrong 9. motm pretty much a vintage celtic highlight performance. is everywhere looks creative and showed his main strength with a well timed run and finish.

Agree MOM for us. I would have given him an 8

elyoounossi 6. was gonna give him a 5 as thought he was pretty poor end product wise and didnt really do a lot, lost posession a lot when in threatining areas.

Disappointed with his performance. Hope he will improve as he diddnt look like a £16m player on this, albeit limited time, performance

ward prouse 7. looked sharp and pinged the ball around nicely when he came on, decent shot at end to creat the winner for elyououssi

Agree

gabbiadini 8. awesome game from him i thought . super movement and link up play looks like he can strike a good ball from distance decent link up play and hardly lost ball

I rated him a 7 but a more active performance from him

austin 7 good header for goal decent showing, some good link up with gabbi

Average apart form the goal but that is what he is good at and I doubt no other striker we have would have scored it

long 5 pretty poor for the most part bad defending for second goal.

Very poor. Had one shot that hit the bar but his clumsiness to lose the ball which started the move for the second goal is symptomatic of his faults

gallagher,7 pretty impressed actually, can see what people are seeing in him, very decent physical presence and pacy to boot. has all the attributes

Would have given him a 6 as only only a short time but looked lively and would like to see him on longer on Saturday in place of Long

I thought Vigo were sharper than us first half and the little striker who played against us in the Europa Cup for Mittyeland, and scored the first goal, looked good and should be prominent on our scouting list.

I also reckon the Ceta captain and right back was very good

I am pleased that we won but I am sure we would have struggled if Vigo had kept a full strength side.

Pros - Armstrong, Gabbi, Targett, Hoj, Austin, Vestegaard, Gunn, Bertrand

Cons - Davis, Long, Bednarek, McQ, Romeu

Have to say I was a little disappointed by El Mo as he didn’t do much other than the tap in at the end. Early days I guess.

Agree with that but Moi looks a confident player once he warmed into it. He will need a bit of time with plums not comparing him to the last 6 game Tadic .

Will need to settle quickly.

More crap from the resident winge

One obvious thing came out of today..

It would be utterly criminal if we were stupid enough to sell Matt Targett. He put both our first two goals on a plate and was excellent in pretty much all he did

Totally agree.

He was not really tested defensively but if he was sound on the right flank then players like him would costs 30m to buy.

Agree with that but Moi looks a confident player once he warmed into it.

I didn't see our first two goals but he didn't look out of it from the bit I saw.

Another point that hasn't been made is how we pressed towards the end in little groups, none of the isolated attempts by a lone forward we saw last year.

Target always looks so comfortable on the ball even if he hasn't got the pace we'd like him to have; worth keeping.

So is Gallagher, deceptive pace for his size, and as others have pointed out, better than Long.

It sounds like Davis struggled too: I think this is a season too far, which is a shame, but if he goes I hope to a decent team. Long, bless 'im, you can't fault his effort ever, but again needs to go to a good home.

A comical whinge on here for the first half, when we weren't playing too badly. Effectively we had a reasonable share of the possession, generally passed the ball around well and had good movement. Celta had two chances and tucked both away. Their first was a classy finish, but Sisto should have been closed down. Their second was a gift wrapped chance offered to them on a plate by a stupid defensive error from Long. Armstrong put in a man of the match performance and his energy and commitment was that of Davis in his pomp when he first arrived at the club. I think that he will turn out to be real find for us. Davis though OK, was a shadow of his former presence and Romeu was clumsy, off the pace, gave the ball away too easily and could have picked up a yellow or even two in a proper league match.

The defence wasn't dire, I thought that Vestegaard looks a prospect giving height and muscle and keen to get forward out of defence on occasion with the ball at his feet. Early days to assess the defence without Yoshida and Cedric, although in the second half a great performance from Targett was definitely a big plus as back-up or first choice to both Cedric and Bertrand, or indeed to play ahead of them out wide. He has obviously benefited from he match time at Fulham, and has to be retained by Hughes. He provided assists for two of our goals as well, so we would be mad to sell him now.

Up front, Gabbiadini looked sharp and inventive, but needs players around him to be on the same wavelength to his movement and touches. Armstrong looked as he could reach an understanding with him, but Long didn't. Long's first touch tonight was poor, although he did hit the post.

With several changes to the team in the second half, Austin did what he does best and scored from a header and he and Gabbiadini looked like a real threat together. That he scored was not that unusual, but the big bonus was the other two goals scored by the new boys, Armstrong and Elyounoussi. Another plus was having three goals scored. Overall, it seemed that even in a friendly, the pace and closing down that we had gave us an edge over a team not used to it in the Spanish league. The match should have given Hughes some pointers as to which players would be first choice, although he still needs to assess those who were absent.

Although the stadium was sparsely attended, it was a very enjoyable match on the whole. Two things were too loud though; the stadium speaker system played the awful music at level 11, and the bright red pitch surround was also far too loud and garish. I couldn't work out whether that was artificial grass sprayed red, or Wilton Carpet. Oh, and the lights under the stand were a distraction too, although the new ones on the roof edge looked OK. Before the lights were properly at their peak, there was a nice atmosphere when mobile phone torches lit up around the ground, quite reminiscent of the Wembley final last year.

I am pleased that we won but I am sure we would have struggled if Vigo had kept a full strength side.

But maybe not if we had played a full strength side throughout the match. The whole point of pre-season friendlies is for both managers to be able to assess new players and fringe players

First half silly nonsense let us down. Few tweaks at half time and hello someone just turned the heat up.

Think a few previously fringe players posed the manager some questions tonight, top of that list Matt Targett, he just looked the part if we sell him over the next week and a bit someone needs to be blindfolded and put against a wall......

Even with a briefer cameo Sam Gallagher needs to stay and given a go, the lad is a giant, strong, and very mobile. The type of player we have been missing up front since Rickie then Graziano left, get a partnership with him and Gabbi (who looked like he has been given a new lease of life) or Austin going could be a bit of a giggle, certainly not scared of getting stuck in.

PEH just needs to relax and let his game do the talking Bayern Munich don't just buy any player, you have the talent lad, just breathe and use it. JWP has been sidelined of late but his vision, distribution, and importantly his bite in the challenge was very much on view tonight.

New boys dont look too shabby, Vestergaard certainly is a presence, Gunn also looks a presence, assured (although on first viewing from the other end of the ground his legs look like pipe cleaners. then with white boots on his feet looked like they were 2ft long). Armstrong, I want his name on the back of my shirt!!!! If this lad keeps up what he showed tonight all season a) everyone will be wanting to buy him off us, and b) Southampton Football Club will be up before the beak on charges of grand theft........ £7m!!

Mo I will reserve judgement on, think he needs to be coaxed out his shell a bit, certainly Johnnie on the spot for the goal, but looked a bit indecisive,

Shane long needs to be looking over his shoulder, Gabbi looks to be getting the sparkle back, Charlie does what he always does, and the big lad not only is good in the air he is quick too.

And I will stick my neck out here Ryan needs to also get himself some wing mirrors too, he maybe captain and yes it was a friendly, but that was a half @R$ed performance from him tonight.

Still as they say one Swallow doesn't make a summer, and the proof of the pudding is in the eating............... well despite all the doom and gloom about buying him or him looks like there are some quality ingredients with which to knock something pretty good up: just got to follow the recipe in the right order.

To be honest I'd rather some of our rubbish players from last season were poor in pre season as I have no faith that they will suddenly be any better. Much better that Hughes sees how poor they are in pre season as he isn't likely to pick them so in that respect romeu, Davis, bednarek etc can be as poor as they like.

Good though to see some our new players doing pretty well. I feel confident we have improved from last season even if it's only a little bit.

Edited by hypochondriac

The first half meltdown on here from so-called supporters was embarrassing. Yes, granted, that performance against a barely mobile Celta team was shambolic and shows we're going to have another very poor season. And yes we've clearly signed players who would barely be Championship standard, but that's zero reason to slate the team and become so negative at the first opportunity.

This season is a wonderful opportunity to build and prepare for a promotion push the following year. Why get depressed now just because we are so poor? Enjoy the football or don't bother watching.

The first came from Davis giving it away and a worldy strike was that Hughes fault nope! Second was Long .. are either of those defenders?, Nope. Clean sheet second half did you mention that?

Was that our starting defence?

Keep bed wetting.

As you would have seen on the match stream, and as many people have commented on this thread, our defence was poor today. That's all I'm saying.

Also, how am I bed wetting? I'm saying he still hasn't proven he can manage and coach a defence. And he hasn't.

@Ian_Wilding1:

Terrific home debut by Stuart Armstrong for @SouthamptonFC tonight - Saints could have a real player on their hands

Also spoke to Mark Hughes who said Lemina has tonsillitis & Redmond fell awkwardly against Dijon. He hopes they’ll both be available on Saturday #saintsfc

Tonsilitis. It’s the new ‘sold’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you would have seen on the match stream, and as many people have commented on this thread, our defence was poor today. That's all I'm saying.

Also, how am I bed wetting? I'm saying he still hasn't proven he can manage and coach a defence. And he hasn't.

Why would i watch on match stream I was there. The defence wasnt poor just 2 were and how is that Hughes fault He didnt sign them. Vestergaard has promise doesnt take prisoners.

One obvious thing came out of today..

It would be utterly criminal if we were stupid enough to sell Matt Targett. He put both our first two goals on a plate and was excellent in pretty much all he did

Absolutely agree with this in fact even start him in place of Bertrand.

Although the stadium was sparsely attended, it was a very enjoyable match on the whole. Two things were too loud though; the stadium speaker system played the awful music at level 11, and the bright red pitch surround was also far too loud and garish. I couldn't work out whether that was artificial grass sprayed red, or Wilton Carpet. Oh, and the lights under the stand were a distraction too, although the new ones on the roof edge looked OK. Before the lights were properly at their peak, there was a nice atmosphere when mobile phone torches lit up around the ground, quite reminiscent of the Wembley final last year.

Absolutely hated the red pitch surround it was blinding and in fact I found it a complete distraction, was expecting Royalty to appear at some stage. Maybe this is the Chinese influence.

Edited by ladysaint

A comical whinge on here for the first half, when we weren't playing too badly. Effectively we had a reasonable share of the possession, generally passed the ball around well and had good movement. Celta had two chances and tucked both away. Their first was a classy finish, but Sisto should have been closed down. Their second was a gift wrapped chance offered to them on a plate by a stupid defensive error from Long. Armstrong put in a man of the match performance and his energy and commitment was that of Davis in his pomp when he first arrived at the club. I think that he will turn out to be real find for us. Davis though OK, was a shadow of his former presence and Romeu was clumsy, off the pace, gave the ball away too easily and could have picked up a yellow or even two in a proper league match.

The defence wasn't dire, I thought that Vestegaard looks a prospect giving height and muscle and keen to get forward out of defence on occasion with the ball at his feet. Early days to assess the defence without Yoshida and Cedric, although in the second half a great performance from Targett was definitely a big plus as back-up or first choice to both Cedric and Bertrand, or indeed to play ahead of them out wide. He has obviously benefited from he match time at Fulham, and has to be retained by Hughes. He provided assists for two of our goals as well, so we would be mad to sell him now.

Up front, Gabbiadini looked sharp and inventive, but needs players around him to be on the same wavelength to his movement and touches. Armstrong looked as he could reach an understanding with him, but Long didn't. Long's first touch tonight was poor, although he did hit the post.

With several changes to the team in the second half, Austin did what he does best and scored from a header and he and Gabbiadini looked like a real threat together. That he scored was not that unusual, but the big bonus was the other two goals scored by the new boys, Armstrong and Elyounoussi. Another plus was having three goals scored. Overall, it seemed that even in a friendly, the pace and closing down that we had gave us an edge over a team not used to it in the Spanish league. The match should have given Hughes some pointers as to which players would be first choice, although he still needs to assess those who were absent.

Thanks for your report, I was going to give mine once I got home from the match but you have saved me the bother, right down to the 'carpet', music and lights !

A fine summary, old chap !

You thought the defence was good?

I think this conversation is over.

I think that you should try some objectivity. Firstly I understand that you weren't even at the match, so in part your opinion was coloured by the match stream and comments on here. Secondly, it was just a friendly and half of the usual defence was not even playing and also contained a new player who hasn't had much opportunity to forge an understanding with the other defenders. Thirdly, responding to an opinion that the defence wasn't poor, just two were, doesn't equate to it meaning that the poster said that the defence was good.

On the basis of what you have posted so far, I can understand why you would try to shut down the conversation, as it is ridiculous to project forward how the defence will turn out into the new season based on a pre-season friendly like this.

Excellent summary....

I think that you should try some objectivity. Firstly I understand that you weren't even at the match, so in part your opinion was coloured by the match stream and comments on here. Secondly, it was just a friendly and half of the usual defence was not even playing and also contained a new player who hasn't had much opportunity to forge an understanding with the other defenders. Thirdly, responding to an opinion that the defence wasn't poor, just two were, doesn't equate to it meaning that the poster said that the defence was good.

On the basis of what you have posted so far, I can understand why you would try to shut down the conversation, as it is ridiculous to project forward how the defence will turn out into the new season based on a pre-season friendly like this.

This isn't based on a pre-season friendly though, this is based on Hughes managerial career and how many goals we conceded at the end of last season.

I believe he wasn't saying 2 of the defence were poor, he was saying Davis and Long were at blame for the goals and that the defence were not to blame at all.

I get you want to butt in, but in future you need to read the posts in context rather than just wading in and misinterpreting.

Sat on the bus first time I've seen us in the flesh this pre-season

Bad - defence still looks dodgy as ****. Hoedt being the main culprit he is just so mistake prone. But the whole back line, regardless of who was in I tonight, just seems not quite on with regards to picking up runners and being aware of what is around them.

Shane Long isn't getting any better.

Romeu still looks way off the player he was under Puel.

Finishing could be better first half we carved out some good chances with some good play and then finished them off with some **** poor finishing.

Pros - Armstrong looks a good player always looking to move the ball forward and scored a nice goal to.

Austin showed what he can do if you give him the ball in the box.

Targett can use his right foot.

Vestgaard can actually win the ball in the air. Not sure about players running at him though but at least he gives the back line an aerial presence.

Overall I thought we where decent in patches but many on the same issues from Las season are still hanging around like a bad smell.

The one thing that gives me hope is we haven't really put out what I think is our strongest team yet tho pre season.

That's interesting, a few times in the past (obviously before he went to Fulham) I've seen him and thought he looked pretty one footed - but nowhere near as bad as Clyne was!

Really enjoyed that match with good entertainment from both sides.

I concur with most of the (non bed wetting) comments before, but I too have to just mention that Armstrong looks a steal at £7m and is just what we need in our midfield. Very impressed with Hojberg and Targett when they came on, and was pleased to see how well Gabbi played too. He was full of running and always trying to make things work.

Vestergaard is a beast who has 2 very accomplished feet and an eye for a pass, and Gunn looks a real prospect.

Very encouraged by what I saw and well done Sparky on a good pre-season so far.

Thinking back to last seasons drubbing by Augsburg and also in 2012 on our Prem return when Udinese (especially De Natalie) came across and tore us a new one, the opposition last night was better than them and we competed really, really well.

Much better!

Nice turn out last night but nowhere near capacity which surprised me. Decent evening's entertainment overall for those of us who did bother to go. Just to clarify a point picked up by one or two screen only viewers, yes the pitch was marked out much smaller than usual presumably by agreement with the visitors and the new red astro turfing edging looked diabolical, clashing violently with the very green grass that has been laid.

You can look at the game in two ways. A great work-out session for both sides where the result was irrelevant and it was all about getting mileage into legs OR there are only 10 days until the season starts in earnest and our general levels of skill, team co-ordination, refinement and match fitness are woeful. On this showing, if Burnley are up to speed it could be a very long season indeed.

Early on we tried fast running one touch football, cover flicks and tricks and if it come off would have pleased the eye but our lads just didn't have enough vision or practice to pull it off. We soon resorted to our old slow build up play that ends up going nowhere.

Starting Steven Davis a willing but physically limited runner was a mystery explained only by the subsequent ineffective displays of Hojberg, Elyounoussi and the continuing unexplained absence of Lemina.

Both goals against were individual errors involving Bednarek. Goal one he allowed their player to turn inside and hit it with his right foot from an easy position, goal two where he left Long uncovered in a one on one situation on the edge of the 18 yard box. Long is not a defender and his grotesque cock-up should not excuse the poor defensive organisation that left him in that situation. He is young and will learn but Yoshida should get the nod over him to start.

Armstrong was creative and energetic for parts of the game but disappeared in others but took a fine goal.

Gabbiadini was all over the place for nearly the whole match, lots of energy some good runs and a few clever bits of individual play but still no goals.

Romeu was generally OK and sound despite what some moaners on here have said, the usual couple of rash tackles but generally reading the game well and rescued us more than once.

Hoedt needs time but looks fairly solid and shouldl become a decent player

Bertie was more committed than we have seen him for a long time but he was tiring after HT.

McQueen (nor Targett on the right) are the answer to any question that I can think of; if Cedric gets injured we have a serious problem on our hands at RB

Austin took his goal well but seemed to struggle physically for the 45mins he was on, looked slow and ponderous in his running

Hojberg seems to over-try and at times resembled a headless chicken

JWP desperately put himself about trying to link play meaningfully and impress Hughes who had seen fit to give him only a few minutes at the end. Great shot unlucky to hit the post but at least we got the second ball tap-in.

Second half changes improved the team everywhere but we had to bear in mind that Celta Vega also made wholesale changes and tired after 50 mins due to the early pace and their lack of pre-season preparation. At least fans who had been quite despondent at HT felt a bit better about it at the end but Burnley is going to be a struggle as we are no nearer to knowing our starting XI today than we were yesterday. The only ones guaranteed a start on last night's showing are Bertrand, Armstrong and probably Gabbiadini.

That's interesting, a few times in the past (obviously before he went to Fulham) I've seen him and thought he looked pretty one footed - but nowhere near as bad as Clyne was!

McQueen was stuck at RWB back first half and really struggled. He got into some decent positions but as soon as the ball came to him he couldn't use his right foot at all and just looked a mess. Targett came on in the second half and to his credit put in son decent crosses from the wrong side.

This isn't based on a pre-season friendly though, this is based on Hughes managerial career and how many goals we conceded at the end of last season.

I believe he wasn't saying 2 of the defence were poor, he was saying Davis and Long were at blame for the goals and that the defence were not to blame at all.

I get you want to butt in, but in future you need to read the posts in context rather than just wading in and misinterpreting.

We conceded nine in MH's first three games - awful against W Ham, but narrow losses against Chelsea and Arsenal. After that, only conceded three in the last four PL games, including against MC, who scored for fun all season.

Seems to me that is pretty good evidence of a manager sorting out a defence.

But I wouldn't like facts to get in the way of your prejudices.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Perhaps its you thats needs to read what I wrote....the goals were the blame of whom I said...we could have closed down - Bednarek was still at the WC you will see loads of this from players that were there at start of season.

As for Hughes - B'mouth 1 goal, Everton robbed 1 goal, Leicester 0 goals, Man City only scored when we had taken eye off game in injury time, Swansea no goals...yep your right Hughes cant get defence right.

FWIW I or many others didn't want him until it was too late and we had no choice - he deserves the chance to give it a go by keeping us up. Is it right long term...probably not but after the last year....maybe you should at least give him a chance?

The defence isn't right we are missing Cedric and Yosh still...I still would like a tall quality right back and another quality defender as Hoedt well has lost it...a bit like his control.

Out of interest who would you like as manager?

Difficult to see how Elyounoussi is going to fit in with the system we play as he is a wide player and it looks like all our width will come from the 2 wingbacks.

If we persist with what is basically 2 up top and a narrow 3 in midfield he is going to struggle I think.

Armstrong will play central in front of the holding 2 and did look good yesterday but we do look a bit immobile at the back.

I thought that overall we played okay, although some of our slick passing triangles seemed to go nowhere. As far as passing accuracy, Romeo was the weak link in midfield and it was noticeable that Hoj shouldered a lot more of the responsibility for moving the team forward in the second half. You could see that Gunn had been trained the Pep way with his slick passing out from the back. Gabbi looked sharp with his touches, but frustrated with the service. In the first half, there were times when the ball should have been moving to the right wing, but no one seemed to want to pass it to McQueen. Thought Bertrand made some good runs forward, but he exposed Hoedt behind him. Hoedt seems to have issues with his starting position and relies too much on his athleticism to get him out of trouble. Bednarek made a mistake for the first goal, but he's a young player still learning his trade.