The so called experts premiership predictions for 2018/2019

Pilchards

This one should give people a good laugh....

Mark Hughes’ teams are often well drilled and organised in defence. The Saints were conceding left and right last season but that won’t be the case anymore. Under Mark Hughes, the Saints will be a lot more systematic at the back and will prove to be a strong backbone for the squad.

https://soccersouls.com/2018/08/07/southampton-season-preview-2018-19-tactics-key-player-and-predicted-finish/

I can see the gap between the top 6 and the rest being at it's biggest this year and another season it comes down to the last games as to who goes down. In the end I'm going for 12th with 1 or 2 decent performers off in the Jan window.

I can see the gap between the top 6 and the rest being at it's biggest this year and another season it comes down to the last games as to who goes down. In the end I'm going for 12th with 1 or 2 decent performers off in the Jan window.

There will be 3 leagues IMO.

The top 6, far and away from the rest (Liverpool, City Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs).

The middle teams who have a shot at a top 7, EL place (Everton, West Ham, Leicster, Palace, Burnley)

And then the rest in a slog until the end - ourselves, Newcastle, Watford, Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham, Borunemouth, Wolves

There will be 3 leagues IMO.

The top 6, far and away from the rest (Liverpool, City Chelsea, Arsenal, Utd, Spurs).

The middle teams who have a shot at a top 7, EL place (Everton, West Ham, Leicster, Palace, Burnley)

And then the rest in a slog until the end - ourselves, Newcastle, Watford, Brighton, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham, Borunemouth, Wolves

The middle lot where all, bar Burnley, hovering in around the relegation zone at some point last season and all of them bar Burnley sacked a manager.

There is the top six and then there is everyone else. This best of the rest thing seems to have come about the last few years from fans of the 14 clubs outside the top six to give us something to get excited about. The truth is there are 6 good sides and 14 meh sides in the PL.

Edited by doddisalegend

The middle lot where all, bar Burnley, hovering in around the relegation zone at some point last season and all of them bar Burnley sacked a manager.

There is the top six and then there is everyone else. This best of the rest thing seems to have come about the last few years from fans of the 14 clubs outside the top six to give us something to get excited about. The truth is their 6 good sides and 14 meh sides in the PL.

The best of the rest are usually the teams from the bottom 14 that make a good start, as we did under poch and Koeman. If they can extend that start until xmas, like Leicester did, then it might get interesting, but otherwise it is just a race for 7th. No-one could catch Arsenal last year when they only one a single away game in 2018 !

Media, bookies and "experts" seem to have finally caught up with how poor we (potentially) are.

Massive test for MH thus season

Now I, and everyone else know you’re a f**king troll but frankly it’s wearing a little thin now. You and the fat Von Trapp sympathiser just drag this site down.

I'm struggling to think of 3 teams that will finish below us...we're still in the position of probably needing to score 2 to win the game as we're not going to collect many clean sheets IMO.

Cardiff - You'd like to think they'll go straight back down so that's 1

Huddersfield - Might struggle, but they're pretty solid and will probably pick up the odd 1-0 win at home which I think will be enough to keep them above us.

Brighton - Can't see us finishing above them

Bournemouth - As above

Fulham - Think they'll finish mid-table

Watford - Think they'll be down there and maybe we'll finish above them, but think they've got enough up front and at the back to mean they should stay up.

Palace - They have Zaha who will probably keep them up

Amazing how quick everyone is to write off Cardiff. Warnock is a canny manager whose sides regularly cause surprises. It will of course be difficult for them, but the idea that they are obviously finishing bottom with a record low points total will prove to be wide of the mark, in my opinion.

Amazing how quick everyone is to write off Cardiff. Warnock is a canny manager whose sides regularly cause surprises. It will of course be difficult for them, but the idea that they are obviously finishing bottom with a record low points total will prove to be wide of the mark, in my opinion.

Not in the Premier League he isn't. He has struggled to impress any time he has managed in the top flight, he is a very good Championship manager.

Not in the Premier League he isn't. He has struggled to impress any time he has managed in the top flight, he is a very good Championship manager.

Yeah yeah, the standard line trotted out by anyone who doesn't bother to consider the context. It's such a common soundbite. Who has he managed in the Premier League? With the exception of Crystal Palace after Pulis (which admittedly did not go well), I think I'm right in saying he has only ever managed a team that he got promoted with in the first place. Notts County, Sheffield United, QPR and now Cardiff. Those clubs would all have been favourites to go down, Sheffield United were only relegated because of the Tevez farce, and he was sacked at QPR with them in 17th (after taking them from relegation battlers to winning the Championship in the previous 2 seasons) - Mark Hughes didn't exactly turn it around there, did he?

No doubt if Cardiff get relegated or he gets sacked people will say the same thing - "Warnock once again can't do it in the Premier League", forgetting the fact that when he took over at Cardiff nobody expected them to even be in contention for the playoffs, never mind automatic promotion, so to expect him to set the Premier League alight is pretty ambitious.

The Times this morning has their writers predictions ( (all 10 of them - writers that is).

Only one predicts us to go down (George Caulkin), and the only other mensh was by James Gheerbrandt in the "This season's surprise package" category, and I quote - "Southampton's underlying performance was far better than their league position last season". He clearly didn't see us play after Christmas last season (imo).

Everyone has the usual hots for Citeh and Lpool, and Hfield, Cardiff and Watford are the clear favourites to go down.

Yeah yeah, the standard line trotted out by anyone who doesn't bother to consider the context. It's such a common soundbite. Who has he managed in the Premier League? With the exception of Crystal Palace after Pulis (which admittedly did not go well), I think I'm right in saying he has only ever managed a team that he got promoted with in the first place. Notts County, Sheffield United, QPR and now Cardiff. Those clubs would all have been favourites to go down, Sheffield United were only relegated because of the Tevez farce, and he was sacked at QPR with them in 17th (after taking them from relegation battlers to winning the Championship in the previous 2 seasons) - Mark Hughes didn't exactly turn it around there, did he?

No doubt if Cardiff get relegated or he gets sacked people will say the same thing - "Warnock once again can't do it in the Premier League", forgetting the fact that when he took over at Cardiff nobody expected them to even be in contention for the playoffs, never mind automatic promotion, so to expect him to set the Premier League alight is pretty ambitious.

In other words, there’s nothing in Warnock’s previous PL record to indicate he can keep a club like Cardiff up.

In other words, there’s nothing in Warnock’s previous PL record to indicate he can keep a club like Cardiff up.

Maybe not, but I just don't think they will be cut adrift at the bottom like everyone is presuming. And the reason why I went off on one is not because I think Cardiff will stay up, but because the "not a PL manager" line is so common but he's never really been given a chance with anything other than clubs on a shoestring that he's got promoted.

Edited by mrfahaji

I think we'll end up around 13th.

There are a lot of comments that other than the top 6 everyone else is dross. I disagree. I think now days in the premier league everyone else are of similar quality.

The gap between the PL and the championship is bigger than ever.

It’s the points gaps that tell the truth about the Premier League being a false competition. Nothing will change as long as the authorities are happy for money to allow a few clubs to hoover up the best players from around the World, with no limitations. FFP is a misnamed joke.

Media, bookies and "experts" seem to have finally caught up with how poor we (potentially) are.

Massive test for MH thus season

More like people acknowledging the wisdom of people the Dalek. I was well ahead at alerting people to the problems and an accurate prediction of 17th made right at the start of last season.

Not buying the "big 6-small 14" concept myself.

1. You have the tedious beast that is Everton. They are as close to a nailed on 7th every season as you could get. They are in the "probably get Europa League, definitely won't gte relegated" category.

2. I think Leicester are probably in that range too. Am not saying it's them and Everton in the top 8 as a nailed on guarantee, but I'd be surprised if they are in a relegation scrap..

3. Something you can't see coming always upsets the established order. Obviously, Leicester winning the league at 5,000/1 was the extreme end. But something weird always happens. Burnley coming 7th last season and getting into Europe was hardly a mainstream prediction. Also, sometimes one of the big 6 implode - didnt Chelski finish tenth the season after they won the league (behind us?)

1. You have the tedious beast that is Everton. They are as close to a nailed on 7th every season as you could get. They are in the "probably get Europa League, definitely won't gte relegated" category.

2. I think Leicester are probably in that range too. Am not saying it's them and Everton in the top 8 as a nailed on guarantee, but I'd be surprised if they are in a relegation scrap..

3. Something you can't see coming always upsets the established order. Obviously, Leicester winning the league at 5,000/1 was the extreme end. But something weird always happens. Burnley coming 7th last season and getting into Europe was hardly a mainstream prediction. Also, sometimes one of the big 6 implode - didnt Chelski finish tenth the season after they won the league (behind us?)

Leicester's four seasons back in the Prem - 14th, 12th, 9th and the season they won the league. They were in the Championship as recently as 2014.

They are perfectly capable of flirting with relegation especially as that's exactly what they did for half of, er, last season. It really wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

If Burnley have proved anything it's that the other 14 are indeed collectively weak: it just takes decent organisation, focus on the basics plus some luck with injuries and that mini "league" can be won.

And what "established order" did Burnley upset exactly? It's only an established order if you think Leicester are nailed on to finish 7th/8th every season even when they haven't actually done that since returning to the division.

Edited by CB Fry

It's still a massive improvement on the decades when the league was dominated by just 1 or 2 clubs, Liverpool 70s/80s and Man United 90s, like most European leagues still are. So, can people please stop whingeing about it and celebrate the times when unfashionable clubs like Leicester and Saints upset the big boys.

It's still a massive improvement on the decades when the league was dominated by just 1 or 2 clubs, Liverpool 70s/80s and Man United 90s, like most European leagues still are. So, can people please stop whingeing about it and celebrate the times when unfashionable clubs like Leicester and Saints upset the big boys.

It's worse. There used to be no hope of winning the league, now there's no hope of finishing 6th.

Personally I think we'll do a lot better than expected, early days but Vestergaard, Moe and Ings I think potentially solve many of our issues from last season.

Those three IMO offer the height and physicality clearly lacking from a generally ok defence last year, people still question Hoedt but IMO he was much improved under Hughes at the end of the season and with a leader next to him will be a lot better this year. Plus the bonus of Bedenerak's emergence and the experience of Yoshida we should be solid at the back.

The latter two add some more pace and guile in forward areas.

Add in a settled GK with a quality back up (which clearly let us down for half of last season) and hopefully a more fit Austin, I think we could surprise a few people and finish 8th/9th.

A lot for me depends on whether Hughes persists with the 3-5-2 formation if it is not working, as has been warned about his time at Stoke and whether Ings/Austin can stay fit.

Last year we were 10th for shots taken, 8th for most 'big chances missed' and 5th for hitting the woodwork. So that clearly shows our finishing was crap and our general play was not so much.

Everybody agrees that the top six are way out in front.

As for the rest, I can see no point in guessing yes guessing, not predicting the final positions without evidence of how the squads gel and how the managers perform.

After half a dozen games then it may be possible to make a reasoned judgement.

One thing is certain imo and that is that any of the 14 are capable of beating each other.

Personally I think that MH's experience and the squad depth will ensure our safety this season, although I hope for better.

errrm 83-84...

This century of all the CL places available, only 4 have gone to non Big 6 sides. Everton, Leicester and Newcastle x2. Hardly a massive improvement.

used to be the top 1, then the top 2, then for ages it was the top 4, now it is the top 6. Everton trying to make it the top 7.

we had our chance to gate crash that party.....we chose to sell everyone

even now, when it is obvious we would still make a profit if not one fan passed through the turnstiles at SMS, we have to sell to buy.

Edited by Batman

used to be the top 1, then the top 2, then for ages it was the top 4, now it is the top 6. Everton trying to make it the top 7.

we had our chance to gate crash that party.....we chose to sell everyone

even now, when it is obvious we would still make a profit if not one fan passed through the turnstiles at SMS, we have to sell to buy.

We did gate crash it when we finished 6th and 7th.

Oh well, it's Burnley's now, they won't make any mistakes and we can sit back and watch them take their chance and finish top seven every single season for the next twenty years. Oh well that could have been us etc etc.

We did gate crash it when we finished 6th and 7th.

Oh well, it's Burnley's now, they won't make any mistakes and we can sit back and watch them take their chance and finish top seven every single season for the next twenty years. Oh well that could have been us etc etc.

Don't forget Leicester they won the league refused to sell Vardy and Mahrez spent a bit of cash and now look at them really challenging the big boys that could have been saints if we'd just shown some ambition...

Don't forget Leicester they won the league refused to sell Vardy and Mahrez spent a bit of cash and now look at them really challenging the big boys that could have been saints if we'd just shown some ambition...

bad managerial choices. We went for Puel and Pell, they went for puel..........

:D