R.I.P Cliff Huxford

Toomer

Reported in todays Echo Cliff Huxford has passed away at the age of 81 for us older posters who will remember Cliff as a tough tackling half back from the 60s, played alongside Tony Knapp, Terry Paine, Denis Hollywood to name but a few.

Three particular (of many) memories of Cliff

1. His booming voice when on the field of play

2. Taking over in goal (part time) in the 5-4 League Cup win v Leeds which didnt finish until past 10.00Pm after floodlight failure

3. Sharing a room with him on a football trip to France

Thank for all the memories Cliff

One of the vital players in Saints past. He was it's beating heart during the championship winning 1959/60. In the FA Cup 3rd Round we went to 1st Division Manchester City and won 5-1. Cliff pulled a thigh muscle early on but then there were no substitutes, he played on and led by example and courage. Later Cliff's character and strength was a major asset in getting us through the 2nd division and promotion again in 1966.

Too young to remember him as a player, but remember his loud high pitched voice as a local football coach in Wessex League football! Also recall him attending funeral of a good friend which would have meant a lot to that person’s friendly. A great example of a proper person who was not disconnected to the local community. Sad news.

RIP Cliff. Old favourite of mine. After he finished playing professionally, he played in many charity matches. I refereed one of them and had to ask Cliff to ‘take it easy’ on the opposing team. “Sorry Ref!” Then he carried on as before Lovely man, off the pitch.

Gave all youngsters a lesson in toughening up. Remember we used to train in the Dell car park. He would flatten you to see how you reacted after picking yourself off the concrete. One of the hardest in the game regharded by his fellow pros. |Remember scoring a screamer against Swindon. Tough nut by off the field, charming.

Gave all youngsters a lesson in toughening up. Remember we used to train in the Dell car park. He would flatten you to see how you reacted after picking yourself off the concrete. One of the hardest in the game regharded by his fellow pros. |Remember scoring a screamer against Swindon. Tough nut by off the field, charming.

Yes, I remember as a nipper training at the Dell in the sweaty smelling indoor gym and being clattered by Cliff.

Also shared a room with him on a trip to France. Cliff had a knock on his leg which resulted in a painful egg size lump coming up on his shin bone.

He played the next game when many wouldnt have done!!

I saw today that he died on the day of his wife's funeral. Last 18 months in care and nursing home with Alzheimers.

What a sad end.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-08-04/cliff-huxford-an-appreciation-by-club-historian-david-bull

If you need a contrast between players of yesteryear and now, Cliff Huxford became a painter and decorator once his playing days finished.

Sad to hear - he was a real club man and a leader who gave total commitment himself and expected it from those around him. He'd probably have pinned a few of the current lot against the dressing room wall.

He managed Basingstoke in the Southern League for a while, and was always very friendly - after the match.

I think his goal against Swindon came from about 40-50 yards out, and he didn't know what to do when everyone ran towards him.

We're all getting older together, sometimes we forget that our old heroes age at the same rate as everyone else. You don't expect them to because you remember them only from the time when they graced our stadium with their grit, determination and skill. RIP Cliff and thanks for all those wonderful memories.

Cliff played at a time when we had one of our best forward lines of all time, Paine - O'Brien - Reeves - Mulgrew - Sydenham but he was never over-shadowed by their brilliance. He even scored a couple of goals for us that season which for him was a rare treat but then with the fire power we had he didn't need to and......

... what a team that was in 59-60, I can still see them trotting out from the corner tunnel at The Dell with Cliff proudly leading them and with every expectation that we would wipe the floor with anybody who came there as opponents. That team was full of wonderful players and Cliff was very much a stalwart then, if memory recalls correctly he started every match in our promotion season. Very little got past him that's for sure.

He played at a time when we had one of our best forward lines of all time, Paine - O'Brien - Reeves - Mulgrew - Sydenham but he was never over-shadowed by their brilliance. He even scored a couple of goals for us that season which for him was a rare treat but then with the fire power we had he didn't need to.

Another sad day for fans and a reminder of our own mortality.

We're all getting older together, sometimes we forget that our old heroes age at the same rate as everyone else. You don't expect them to because you remember them only from the time when they graced our stadium with their grit, determination and skill. RIP Cliff and thanks for all those wonderful memories.

Cliff played at a time when we had one of our best forward lines of all time, Paine - O'Brien - Reeves - Mulgrew - Sydenham but he was never over-shadowed by their brilliance. He even scored a couple of goals for us that season which for him was a rare treat but then with the fire power we had he didn't need to and......

... what a team that was in 59-60, I can still see them trotting out from the corner tunnel at The Dell with Cliff proudly leading them and with every expectation that we would wipe the floor with anybody who came there as opponents. That team was full of wonderful players and Cliff was very much a stalwart then, if memory recalls correctly he started every match in our promotion season. Very little got past him that's for sure.

He played at a time when we had one of our best forward lines of all time, Paine - O'Brien - Reeves - Mulgrew - Sydenham but he was never over-shadowed by their brilliance. He even scored a couple of goals for us that season which for him was a rare treat but then with the fire power we had he didn't need to.

. I have, just read Just learned of the sad passing of my hero Cliff Huxford. Was shocked to read he'd been suffering from Alzheimers for many years and finished gis days in care. His death comes shortly after his wife's passing.

R. I. P. eternally Cliff. You were a true legend to me and with be a Saint forever.

This brought back wonderful memories! Lovely post, thank you.

I never knew him as a player but I heard about his time doing so. He painted my house and i loved talking to him about his playing days.

A real genuine and lovely gentleman and I was so sad to hear the circumstances of his passing.

RIP

Cliff lived with my grandparents for 2 years before I believe he married. We lived just down the road from the dell and my grandparents for years were one of the many families that looked after the youngsters. They came from all over the country to play for saints. My mother, tells me that I was regularly taken to reserve games by my grandfather as a toddler to support the boys. It is incredibly sad to see so many of that era now passing. The memories the players have left us over the years are golden. Those were the days when the players were truly part of the community, living within the heart of it. RIP Cliff

Good turn out at Botley Crematorium for Cliff's farewell appearance today.

Ex Saints in attendance included Dennis Hollywood, Jim Steele, Mick Judd, Ian White, Tommy Hare, Gerry Gurr, Roger Fry, Bill Beaney and Don Taylor (ex Physio).

Both Saints and Chelsea (his first club) sent nice floral tributes

That team was pretty consistent that year and played in the FA Cup Semi Final v Man Utd.

As I recollect Williams, Kirby and Burnside were all signed early in the season when results were poor and their combined impact was more or less instantaneous

Think only Knapp, O'Brien, Paine and Sydenham are still with us.