The Southampton Way - Now consigned to history?

spyinthesky

1. Introducing a conveyor belt of new talent from the Academy - GONE

2. Identifying new players and (mainly) buying cheap, selling on at a profit - GONE

3. Making progress every year - STALLED OR PROBABLY GONE

4. Competing with bigger clubs - GONE

5. Exciting football - GONE

6. Improving player performance - GONE

7. Owners we have confidence in - VERY UNCERTAIN

8. Aspirations for European Football - GONE

It was nice whilst it lasted!!!!

There isn't a football club on earth that makes progress every single year so pretty ridiculous to expect that.

Good luck Burnley for the season ahead.

When do you pull your head out of your arse and recognise a sustained decline for what it is ?

All the Libeherr / Cortese energy and momentum has GONE.

Edited by alpine_saint

When do you pull your head out of your arse and recognise a sustained decline for what it is ?

Here, Lighthouse, another one for you to pick up on :lol:

Lets ignore all the insults about my weight over the years that he's dished out.

We finished 7th and 6th and it is fu ck all to do with Cortese. I know you have it but it was brilliant. You were absolutely nowhere to be seen on this forum during that time of course.

We finished 7th and 6th and it is fu ck all to do with Cortese. I know you have it but it was brilliant. You were absolutely nowhere to be seen on this forum during that time of course.

Thats b*ll*cks, but dont worry. Thanks to Lighthouse and the mob you will no doubt soon rid permanently.

Too many people on here spend their lives playing computer games and think that football is different to the reality.

In all of my lifetime, barring a handful of clubs, football has been a cyclical thing. We had, from promotion in League one to the League Cup final with Puel, one of our golden eras. That was always going to come to end at some point as a club our size cannot sustain it long term.

We're now reverting to our "natural" place in the football hierarchy, which is somewhere between 10th and bottom in the top flight. In the long term we might get lucky with a crop of players and sneak europe or a cup final again, but it's far more likely we'll be relegated before that happens (history shows us that's true of a club our size).

The only one on that list that i'm disappointed/surprised by is the academy side of things. Whilst we've always been hit and miss in the transfer market (and i'd argue more miss than hit for our highest transfers), we've also consistently produced great youth players, and that's not just the modern academy either.

Too many people on here spend their lives playing computer games and think that football is different to the reality.

In all of my lifetime, barring a handful of clubs, football has been a cyclical thing. We had, from promotion in League one to the League Cup final with Puel, one of our golden eras. That was always going to come to end at some point as a club our size cannot sustain it long term.

We're now reverting to our "natural" place in the football hierarchy, which is somewhere between 10th and bottom in the top flight. In the long term we might get lucky with a crop of players and sneak europe or a cup final again, but it's far more likely we'll be relegated before that happens (history shows us that's true of a club our size).

The only one on that list that i'm disappointed/surprised by is the academy side of things. Whilst we've always been hit and miss in the transfer market (and i'd argue more miss than hit for our highest transfers), we've also consistently produced great youth players, and that's not just the modern academy either.

Les too it would seem.

People are totally unrealistic in what they expect us to achieve with the finance we have, simple as that. We are nothing than more than a mid table prem side, that will flirt with a cup or Europa league from time to time. Sometimes we will be relegated and be promoted. This will never change unless some nutter with trillions invests in us.

Our youth system is excellent, no one can deny that and it produces many professional footballers at every level, no club can produce Gareth Bales every year, not realistic at all.

We still buy cheap and normally sell at good value for age or quality of player, that's never changed.

We had one chance to break that top 4, but the board bottled it in Jan and didnt sign a striker.

Cant really grumble considering some of our previous owners and where we have been.

Calm down.

Thats b*ll*cks, but dont worry. Thanks to Lighthouse and the mob you will no doubt soon rid permanently.

The only thing that keeps you off this forum is a sustained period of success for the club. For that reason I fear you'll be stinking the place out all season.

Yep, it's gone.

But I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the rise back up to the Prem. The first 4 seasons in it and eventually qualifying for Europe. Our poor effort in that still bites because most of us know that opportunity comes around almost as infrequently as an England World Cup semi-final.

Still there were plenty of moaners here even during the golden years of 2010-2016.

Got to the stage now that I know our bloated squad will struggle as a unit.

Much rather see the likes of Sims, Heskett, McQueen and Targett play every week and give 100% over the likes of Austin, Lemina, Soares and Redmond.

Our current team has at least 10 poor to average players that should just **** off.

Is it better to have had than to have had not!

6th, 7th, 8th finish in the premier league, League Cup Final, FA Cup semi final, trophy winners at Wembley, back to back promotions, beating the likes of Inter Milan in a non pre season friendly, winning back to back games at old Trafford, the list goes on. (With an added bonus of seeing England in a World Cup semi too)

Ok ownership changes and Les’ ineptitude to deliver promises means we start this season with a little uncertainty but we’ve come a long way in 9 years!

Got to the stage now that I know our bloated squad will struggle as a unit.

Much rather see the likes of Sims, Heskett, McQueen and Targett play every week and give 100% over the likes of Austin, Lemina, Soares and Redmond.

Our current team has at least 10 poor to average players that should just **** off.

At the end of last season I was hoping to see the back of many of them frankly, but that was not going to happen. Tadic redeemed himself with his efforts after Hughes arrived, McCarthy was of course outstanding, and Yoshida showed commitment. After that it was a pretty poor effort from most.

I did expect Cedric and Bertrand to leave.In some ways a shame if they had because they have the talent, but I hope we don't see another season of them just going through the motions.

Lighthouse is on the morning curry diet.

Nothing beats handing out infractions on a Sunday morning, whilst finishing off last night’s chicken Jalfrezi. :)

Anyway Alps, in response to your PMs why not try making my agenda against you a bit more

challenging by posting a bit less crap? So far this weekend you’ve called cabbage face a tw*t and started a thread lambasting fictitious club statements. Fish in a barrel TBH.

In fact with the level of money we spend and income we should really always be around 10th. We punched above our weight for a few years mainly due to luck, in signing great players from nowhere and Cortese over spending. Now we are back to normal service, selling to buy and not really unearthing too many gems, we will struggle to stay up. Sad but true. Not negative, just realistic. We need to find a couple of unearth gems to help us like we did for a few years before.

Of course it had stuff to do with Cortese.... He left in 2014. Or are you seriously suggesting the moment he left that season we got rid of everything he did up to the point he left?

I don't buy the whole doom and gloom thing and think we are a case of just being run badly. In other businesses those people would have been removed so not sure why they haven't been here.

But to try and imply all the foundations that were in place in 2014 had nothing to do with the next 6months-18months is quite laughable.

You need to pull your head out of your arse. Momentum with Kat?? We got lucky while she tried her hardest to sell us.

Is it better to have had than to have had not!

6th, 7th, 8th finish in the premier league, League Cup Final, FA Cup semi final, trophy winners at Wembley, back to back promotions, beating the likes of Inter Milan in a non pre season friendly, winning back to back games at old Trafford, the list goes on. (With an added bonus of seeing England in a World Cup semi too)

Ok ownership changes and Les’ ineptitude to deliver promises means we start this season with a little uncertainty but we’ve come a long way in 9 years!

Its good for us pessimists to see posts like this and realise we have just come out of a relatively golden period.

That said it set the bar higher and increased expectation which makes the fall from grace more difficult to accept.

Of course it had stuff to do with Cortese.... He left in 2014. Or are you seriously suggesting the moment he left that season we got rid of everything he did up to the point he left?

I don't buy the whole doom and gloom thing and think we are a case of just being run badly. In other businesses those people would have been removed so not sure why they haven't been here.

But to try and imply all the foundations that were in place in 2014 had nothing to do with the next 6months-18months is quite laughable.

You are right of course it had a lot to do with Cortese in fact getting us from league 1 to the Premiere and in such quick time was a tremendous job just ask the types of Leeds about it and without that nothing else after would have been possible !

The Southampton Way is just a load of marketing bullish!te, we are struggling because our owner doesn’t like spending money.

Exactly

The owner was never going to spend any of his money. One of the reasons put forward for Goa wanting to buy saints was he liked that the club was basically being run to be self sustaining.

Last season we achieved what many of you said would be impossible and stayed in the Premier league, a status that major cities such as Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Nottingham and Derby can only dream about. Statistically we are probably due to go down this season so although this forum is there for people to vent their frustations perhaps we should sometimes appreciate what we've got because it won't be there for ever.

Exactly

The owner was never going to spend any of his money. One of the reasons put forward for Goa wanting to buy saints was he liked that the club was basically being run to be self sustaining.

Wasn’t the “Southampton Way” all about living within our means and being a self sustaining club? In which case nothing has changed. Anyone who thought Mr Gao was going to come in and spend vast amounts of dosh were sadly deluded.