Transfer Deadline Day

Lighthouse

The time for HCDAJFU and rumour is over, Premier League clubs have until 1700 BST to complete any transfers, including loans. Free agents may be signed after the deadline. Clubs may also sell or loan out players to clubs in other leagues, where the window is still open.

Nothing we didn't know from SSN

09:47

SAINTS SIGNINGS?

Jane Dougall has the latest from Southampton...

"It looks like there's going to be more departures rather than arrivals. Fulham were very impressed by Matt Targett during his loan at Craven Cottage, but I'm told Southampton want to keep hold of him.

“Watford have made an offer for James Ward-Prowse, but we understand that a loan deal would not interest Southampton.

"If there are to be any players in, it is probable that they will look to strengthen their strike force. A player who has been linked in the past couple of days is Danny Welbeck, who may want to leave Arsenal because he faces a battle for a first-team place, but Welbeck's wages could may well be a major issue.

"Liverpool's Danny Ings has again been linked with the club, but I'm told Southampton are not in for him."

No more ins, no more outs then? OK.

Pros:

Gunn > Forster

Vestergaard > Not having a 5th centre back

Armstrong appears to be a decent addition that could add goals from midfield

We don't start the season with Pellegrino

Gallagher as 4th choice striker offers us something different to Carillo.

We have at least managed to loan out Boufal, Clasie and Carillo to get some wages paid.

Cons:

Lost Tadic and have to hope Elyounoussi is as good if not better.

Forster is still on the books, and have one or two fringe players that perhaps could have been loaned out or sold. (Could still happen of course)

Defence still looks shaky and we have to hope they improve.

No striker signed (although Gallagher as an additional 4th choice IMO strengthens the position in lieu of Carillo, but we should still have signed an experienced, goal-scoring striker)

Lack creativity and pace in the attacking midfield positions due to a lack of strength in depth.

Overall I think we are stronger this season than we were last season, but whether we have kept up with other teams I don't know. As for other teams around us, West Ham have been splashing the cash to reach the next level and have done some decent business, Wolves and Fulham already add tougher teams to the league than last season and Fulham have had an excellent window. I'd like to think our youngsters like Reed, Gallagher, Sims, Stephens, Targett (if he's still here), McQueen and Hesketh (whichever of those don't go out on loan) step it up this year now they have a bit more experience, but I'm not going to hold my breath. (Although I'd like to see Gallagher more than the others given some chances to show what he can do.)

I'd like some late drama though, Targett and Forster out, Alcacer or Welbeck in, something like that, but it doesn't look like it's happening. As the window stands it gets a 6/10 - needed more attacking talent and the purse strings loosened. Mid-table finish if we are lucky.

People said Les was in Spain right?

Probably nothing but

Brighton and Southampton target Martin Montoya has been excused from training today by Spanish giants Valencia.

http://www.insidefutbol.com/2018/08/09/brighton-and-southampton-target-granted-permission-to-miss-training-by-valencia/385623/

I thought the same. Selling Targett and buying Montoya makes more sense than having no dedicated right back cover and 3 left backs.

Danny Welbeck still favourite to join us, with wages being a stumbling block apparently. Late loan deal maybe?

would very much like to see him join. Would make it a good window. but when wages are cited you know he'll go elsewhere

Danny Welbeck still favourite to join us, with wages being a stumbling block apparently. Late loan deal maybe?

I'm sure the club is interested in Welbeck and If no other team is interested in him then we might have a chance.

I think the biggest problem is our wage bill is overloaded and the likes of Forster will not fu.ck off and take a pay cut and that blame does not lay with Hughes but the knobs who offered a pathetic long contract.

Say what you want about boufal but he was at least a option we now do not have, is better to have him and Redmond as options then just Redmond. Also not quite sure why people think two creative players in place of tadic and boufal.Armstrong is primarily a box to box central midfielder whilst boufal and tadic were attacking wingers/number tens don't think they are the same type of players.

We now have Gallagher as an option too!

He'd be a good buy for a club of our size, despite his wages and transfer fee!

all down to the wages and transfer fee for me but could potentially be a decent signing for us his goal scoring record when fit is pretty good and his speed would be a real asset to us.

£15m Still seems on the cheap side to me, if it was £20m and funded Welbeck, I would have to reluctantly agree that would be a good move.

seems incredibly cheap for a highly rated English player on a long contract in the current market, I'd be very disappointed if he was allowed to leave for such a small amount.

So far, as at 1:13pm, we are resisting approaches for JWP and Targett - good :p

Now, Saints, please don't weaken on Gallagher - we need him this season. Lock him inside his front door and take the key away!

I read somewhere, BBC transfer day feed I think, that Premier League clubs can still loan players to other English clubs up until 31 August (and sell / loan abroad of course).

talkSport said we are in discussion with Welbeck. Seemed a bit tenuous, but....

Does anyone know who does these discussions for us nowadays? Is it Ross Wilson or Mark Hughes? I think Mark Hughes would be more convincing. Lawrie McMenemy was very good at persuading big name players to come here.

Does anyone know who does these discussions for us nowadays? Is it Ross Wilson or Mark Hughes? I think Mark Hughes would be more convincing. Lawrie McMenemy was very good at persuading big name players to come here.

big sam gave an account on how it generally works.

It will be the recruiting staff talking to the Agent initially. Sometimes, it is the Agent who will approach a club first.......

Once it is clear the player is interested and a deal is possible, the bigger hitters will come in, including a manager much of the time

Probably a mixture of Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Mark Hughes.

Maybe its time to make our own deadline day up as fu.ck all is happening.

Saints are talking to Jonathan Mitchell who is the Derby keeper. Mark Hughes has said that Forster, Gunn, McCarthey and Jack Rose need some competition for the number one spot.

Saints are talking to Jonathan Mitchell who is the Derby keeper. Mark Hughes has said that Forster, Gunn, McCarthey and Jack Rose need some competition for the number one spot.

:lol:

Harry Redknapp is just leaving the car park and winding down his window.......Jamie Carragher has done the same and now I need to wash my windscreen

have they got a 2-4-1 deal available for a midfielder as we definitely look light in that area as well?

He's just turned up outside Staplewood in a big yellow taxi.

Harry Redknapp is just leaving the car park and winding down his window.......Jamie Carragher has done the same and now I need to wash my windscreen

:)

See this is much more fun.

Danny Welbeck is reporting to be in St Mary's talking to the medical staff as he wants to make sure he feels comfortable in his new surroundings.

A spoke person for Saints have said Welbeck is just the person we are looking to sign as Austin needed company.

Danny Welbeck is reporting to be in St Mary's talking to the medical staff as he wants to make sure he feels comfortable in his new surroundings.

A spoke person for Saints have said Welbeck is just the person we are looking to sign as Austin needed company.

To be fair, we could probably sign Welbeck on a job share arrangement with Austin...

:lol::lol::D