Transfer Deadline Day

Lighthouse

who said our signing are cack?

Certainly not me........but please, let us know

cheers

So they’re blowing us away with average signings are they? You can’t have it both ways, they’re either blowing us away and getting top players in, or blowing us away by paying over the odds, which one is it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally I don't understand this signing. We already have goal hanging tap-in merchants in Austin and Gabbi. Isn't he just more of the same?

If we were going to sign a striker, don't we need one offering pace, skills and genuine creativity? That or a powerhouse to hold the ball up and play long to. If Ings offers those facets then I'm happy, but not sure he does. Anyone able to enlighten me?

I've heard the clamour for a new striker, but I ask again, who the hell is going to create the chances for all these strikers? Redmond and Mohamed Elyounoussi? Blimey. Who is the option when they are not doing it? JWP and Sims?

Edited by Chez

It's seems more clear by the day that FFP is totally holding us back right now (with all these huge contracts). I don't believe we've not got any money to spend, we just aren't allowed to.

That's why FFP has always been an utter farce in my opinion. What is fair about not letting the 'smaller' teams strengthen their squads? How is that levelling the playing fields?

The clubs with money can just happily fliter cash away anyway, breach FFP and then pay - to them - the tiny fine. Joke.

Why would FFP be holding us back when it's assessed season by season with an additional £7m + commercial and player trading revenue being added to the club wage cap each season? We've just gotten rid of two of our biggest earners in Tadic and VVD, and the likes of Elyounoussi, Armstrong, Vestergaard and Gunn are hardly going to command similar wages to established PL performers (especially as only one of those was actually a first choice player for his previous team).

We've been bought by an owner who seemingly can't get his money out of China, but for some reason nobody wants to believe that the club are constrained in capital expenditure, and that the problem must lie in the murky, opaque world of FFP. Looking at the recent ownership history of the club I find it far easier to believe that we're being managed to a strict acquisition budget rather than we're simply hamstrung by a wage cap that seemingly doesn't affect any club of a similar stature.

Can still ship them out to European clubs it's only the PL window that closed today...not that I hold much hope that will happen though

I think I am more disappointed we haven’t managed to get rid of a couple of wage drainers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Personally I don't understand this signing. We already have goal hanging tap-in merchants in Austin and Gabbi. Isn't he just more of the same?

If we were going to sign a striker, don't we need one offering pace, skills and genuine creativity? That or a powerhouse to hold the ball up and play long to.

I've heard the clamour for a new striker, but I ask again, who the hell is going to create the chances for all these strikers? Redmond and Mohamed Elyounoussi? Blimey. Who is the option when they are not doing it? JWP and Sims?

I agree. Much prefer we just stick with Gallagher and give him a chance

If it’s a loan deal I don’t have an issue with this. His injury record makes it a huge risk otherwise. I will say that this deal does kinda put the myth of the black box out to pasture once and for all.

Reckon the Black Box was probably responsible for Elyounoussi to be fair.

So they’re blowing us away with average signings are they? You can’t have it both ways, they’re either blowing us out the water and getting top players in, or blowing us out of the water by paying over the odds, which one is it.

I made no comment on the quality of their signings...not sure why you have decided otherwise

He's not a truly awful footballer though is he. Carrillo was. Heck, even Boufal was most of the time as he couldn't be arsed.

Even your mate, who you were sure was being sold, has been pretty awful for us.

Indeed. I think people have forgotten already how genuinely terrible many of our players were last year. Imagine if we had signed ings in January most people would be very happy that we were trying literally anything else than having to watch that turgid cack for a second longer.

I think I am more disappointed we haven’t managed to get rid of a couple of wage drainers

Very good point. It will be painful to all concerned having to sign Forster's monthly wage cheque. Maybe we will have injuries in that department and then he will come in handy.

Why would FFP be holding us back when it's assessed season by season with an additional £7m + commercial and player trading revenue being added to the club wage cap each season? We've just gotten rid of two of our biggest earners in Tadic and VVD, and the likes of Elyounoussi, Armstrong, Vestergaard and Gunn are hardly going to command similar wages to established PL performers (especially as only one of those was actually a first choice player for his previous team).

We've been bought by an owner who seemingly can't get his money out of China, but for some reason nobody wants to believe that the club are constrained in capital expenditure, and that the problem must lie in the murky, opaque world of FFP. Looking at the recent ownership history of the club I find it far easier to believe that we're being managed to a strict acquisition budget rather than we're simply hamstrung by a wage cap that seemingly doesn't affect any club of a similar stature.

Agree. Bit of a red herring.

I made no comment on the quality of their signings...not sure why you have decided otherwise

So how are they blowing us away then.

If you don’t know how good they are, how can you decide they’re blowing us away, they could be useless. That would be like saying we blew our rivals away when we signed Carrillo.

So how are they blowing us away then.

If you don’t know how good they are, how can you decide they’re blowing us away, they could be useless. That would be like saying we blew our rivals away when we signed Carrillo.

Don't take your SFC frustrations out on Batman

If we were going to sign a striker, don't we need one offering pace, skills and genuine creativity? That or a powerhouse to hold the ball up and play long to. If Ings offers those facets then I'm happy, but not sure he does. Anyone able to enlighten me?

After his first season in the Premier League, I would say he offered similar to Shane Long, in that he hassles defenders and has pace, but also decent control and an eye for goal. But I'm not sure what the injuries have taken out of him, we saw with Rodriguez how it's not just pace that you can lose but just a general sharpness or acceleration.

I think we'll see a player who isn't better at any one thing than our current crop of strikers, but might have more of an all-round game. Here's hoping anyway.

Oh, and I agree with your last line - another striker is better than nothing, but the biggest weakness was surely a creative player.

did any of the non-top 6 sides lose their best players?

No. I think you are right. Shows that the spending power of the league as a whole is at a stratospheric level. Plus fair play and wages are squeezing the options at the top 6 to use extra buying power.

We have no idea who our big earners are or what our new signings are earning you're just making assumptions and taking guesses on what players are earning.

I've seen PL teams wages published all over the internet and no two sites ever agree with each other either on individual players or team wage bills. As an example on the Forster thread alone we had people claiming he is earning 100, 95, 90 and 60k a week.

I'm not saying your wrong or right but your argument would hold more water I you could provide a detailed break down of our squads wages.

Edited by doddisalegend

We probably still have some powder dry for January.

My hunch is that we were after Wellbeck but our inability to shift Forster & Co put the kibosh on it for salary budget or transfer kitty reasons.

That forced us into a late deal for Ings because the club knew we had to do something up front.

Not ideal but nowhere near the sh*tshow some are suggesting.

Someone will end up like QPR - a few teams have signed a load of big names for big money but will they gel as a team? One of them will flop massively.

If you don't invest in your team you'll eventually come unstuck, teams not investing are going to be left behind the way it's going. You can only tread water for so long I'm afraid.

If you don't invest in your team you'll eventually come unstuck, teams not investing are going to be left behind the way it's going. You can only tread water for so long I'm afraid.

You have to invest in the right players though as we and many other teams ,outside the big six, has shown spending big money on the wrong players is just as damaging as not spending.

There are an awful lot of average players going for a lot of money and while the big clubs can soak up a couple of flops it can kill smaller PL teams.

Danny Ings has quite a similar record to Shane Long.

Didn't Ings and Austin have a phenomenal partnership in the Championship?

I'm hoping it turns out to be more Pelle and Mane rather than Dixon and Speedie.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Let's assume this is the last of my three posts, but it's interesting that we're not the only club doing last minute deals. Like the Quinoa one to Watford, it's clubs trying to get more for their players and then realising that the buying clubs have set their own value and aren't going beyond it.

I think that's what has happened with us. Ings has a value to us, but not Liverpool's valuation. I'm more pleased we haven't lost JWP and Targett, who might get a few more assists with some more effective strikers playing in a more attackingly ambitious team.