Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

I wouldn't sell him for anything as right now a goalscoring striker is the difference between safety and relegation unless Adams or someone steps up. But there's also his injury record to look at. He seems as fit as ever, but how Saints-like would it be if he got an England call up then got crocked for the season. I wonder if £50-60 million would make the board's heads turn? Hope not, especially as he's a local lad and seems to want to do what's best for the club.

I wouldn't sell him for anything as right now a goalscoring striker is the difference between safety and relegation unless Adams or someone steps up. But there's also his injury record to look at. He seems as fit as ever, but how Saints-like would it be if he got an England call up then got crocked for the season. I wonder if £50-60 million would make the board's heads turn? Hope not, especially as he's a local lad and seems to want to do what's best for the club.

I wouldn't even consider cashing in now, although if he maintains this form and goalscoring rate he may fancy another opportunity at a "big 6" club come the summer.

Seem to recall that Liverpool inserted a sell on clause when they offloaded him. Another great piece of business by Bunsen the uber cretin.

I wouldn't even consider cashing in now, although if he maintains this form and goalscoring rate he may fancy another opportunity at a "big 6" club come the summer.

Seem to recall that Liverpool inserted a sell on clause when they offloaded him. Another great piece of business by Bunsen the uber cretin.

Come off it. Reed bought a potentially 20 goal a season striker for just £20m. The sell on clause means we effectively pay a bit more if Ings is a success and gets a big transfer, but save our money if injuries get to him or if he wasn't a success, or if he stays with us!

Come off it. Reed bought a potentially 20 goal a season striker for just £20m. The sell on clause means we effectively pay a bit more if Ings is a success and gets a big transfer, but save our money if injuries get to him or if he wasn't a success, or if he stays with us!

At the moment the Ings move looks a success, but that doesn't alter the terms or timing of it. We contracted to buy a player with a history of injury at the end of the season no matter how he performed or whether he stayed fit. We didn't know if we were buying a 20 games a season player, never mind his goalscoring. That remains a ludicrous bit of business given our resources.

Perhaps leaving it to the last day or so of the transfer window enabled Liverpool to add this additional term knowing our desperation at the time.

Lets hope he stays injury free, so then even the Teflon coated Reed can bask in the reflected glory of it.

Edited by Badger

There's plenty to criticise Reed for but this isn't one of them. Do you think that Liverpool wouldn't have increased the asking price if the sell on clause was removed? The whole point of the clause is it allows the payment to scale up and down depending on how successful the player is. Very wise given how injury prone Ings is/was

Nominated for December player of the month. Surely a no brainer but as it’s a public vote it will probably be TAA that wins it.

Get voting people, Danny’s the man!https://www.premierleague.com/news/1552879

Sure enough TAA won it. I hate Liverpool.

Ings deserves and England call up and that is more likely since Kane’s injury, but from a selfish perspective, I hope that it doesn’t happen.

Next England games aren't until the end of March, long way to go until then, if Ings is still on form and banging them in he'll deserve a call up and hopefully we'll have enough points by then and virtually safe. Would be good for him to get in the squad and keep his place for the Euros, winning them on home soil.

If he was 2 or 3 years younger I'd be concerned if he got a call-up for the inevitable tapping-up from top clubs (and the possibility of injury with a different training regime) but hope he gets the nod in spring as that means he's continued his goal scoring form.

But it would be good to see him capped while at Southampton, he deserves it, and then hopefully add interest for the Euros - as long as he also continues to steer clear of injuries!

If he was 2 or 3 years younger I'd be concerned if he got a call-up for the inevitable tapping-up from top clubs (and the possibility of injury with a different training regime) but hope he gets the nod in spring as that means he's continued his goal scoring form.

But it would be good to see him capped while at Southampton, he deserves it, and then hopefully add interest for the Euros - as long as he also continues to steer clear of injuries!

He is like a vintage car. Oozes style and class but you are just waiting for something to breakdown.

Tapping up on international duty reason for not wanting Saints players to play for England is a nonsense

Any Saints player would already be aware how playing for a top 6 team would be better for them. They don't need a chat in an England changing room for that. Plus Ings already has experienced life at Liverpool

Tapping up on international duty reason for not wanting Saints players to play for England is a nonsense

Any Saints player would already be aware how playing for a top 6 team would be better for them. They don't need a chat in an England changing room for that. Plus Ings already has experienced life at Liverpool

You're taking me a little too seriously.

Wrighty touting him for England. Some decent stats though: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51100705

Those stats on Ings' conversion rate are wrong surely! If he was so ruthless in front of goal, why would Garth Crooks say this

"...if, as some are suggesting, he has the potential to move to a bigger club, he needs to improve his chances-to-goals ratio."

Its almost as if he tries to be wrong

Those stats on Ings' conversion rate are wrong surely! If he was so ruthless in front of goal, why would Garth Crooks say this

"...if, as some are suggesting, he has the potential to move to a bigger club, he needs to improve his chances-to-goals ratio."

Its almost as if he tries to be wrong

Maybe it's just that he doesn't know what he is talking about. The bloke is a **** and is only employed by the Beeb for one reason.

Danny Ings is the king of the Scummers,

Danny Ings is the king I say,

Danny Ings is the king of the Scummers,

Smashing Pompey the Southampton way.

And yet still loads of our lot get it wrong and sing, "playing the southampton way", unless they're meaning to get it wrong to make it more noddy (which i wouldn't rule out).

And yet still loads of our lot get it wrong and sing, "playing the southampton way", unless they're meaning to get it wrong to make it more noddy (which i wouldn't rule out).

didnt even realise there was an alternative line, always been smashing with us.

My mate made it up, well he takes credit for starting it at spurs away, though I thought i heard it at Skates away, but apparently not.

And to suggest some of our fans would be Noddy about it, really ? :lol:

Would be an absolute joke if true. But not a shock

Yeh it would, Greenwood is a good prospect but nothing more than that, until recently he barely had more than a couple of senior goals.

Vardy is retired and Rashford doesn't work as a no.9 and that would leave Ings as clearly the most suitable replacement for Kane right now, but its probably not going to happen.

I suspect Southgate will play Rashford through the middle and have Sancho and Sterling either side.

Would be an absolute joke if true. But not a shock

Yeh it would, Greenwood is a good prospect but nothing more than that, until recently he barely had more than a couple of senior goals.

Vardy is retired and Rashford doesn't work as a no.9 and that would leave Ings as clearly the most suitable replacement for Kane right now, but its probably not going to happen.

I suspect Southgate will play Rashford through the middle and have Sancho and Sterling either side.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7891591/Gareth-Southgate-clash-Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-considers-Mason-Greenwood-Euro-2020.html

I know it's the Mail, but.......

I think we probably all know that Ings won't be going. Seemed to recall the same happened when Beattie - knocked in over 23 and was only behind Henry (24) and van Nistelroy (25) in the goal scoring tables. That was 2002/2003. April 2003: England 2-0 Turkey and Beattie not even in the squad. He did get a full game in the Euro qualifiers vs Lichtenstein in Sept 2003 playing out on the left. Apart from that, it was a few minutes in friendlies.

The problem Gareth has with taking Ings to the Euros is the same concern we have every week... when is his next injury coming from? He seems fitter than ever but we're all thinking it. Aside from that I think he'd be a decent choice for England - he's quick, hard working, a natural goalscorer and was deemed good enough to play for Liverpool. (And it's not like he failed there, just never got fit enough.) Mason Greenwood is raw, look at the mistake Gareth made in selecting Dominic Solanke. If Ings does finish the season on 20+ goals, I think he'll go as 4th choice or whatever.

• 6 months later...

After searching through I apparently didn't post in this thread, but i'll openly admit that I thought the obligation to buy for £20million was crazy at the time given his injury record, especially when he got injured a couple of times throughout the season for us. I also didn't realise just how good he was, thinking he was at best a 15 goal a season striker. 

He has taken it to another level this season though, he looks so much fitter, stronger, sharper, quicker to get the ball onto his right foot to get the shot away. The amount of times i've watched a game and he just doesn't seem to ever give the ball away is incredible. 

Hopefully we can keep him for the next 4 or 5 years and get 20 goals a season out of him, and he'll go down as a club legend for sure. 

31 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

After searching through I apparently didn't post in this thread, but i'll openly admit that I thought the obligation to buy for £20million was crazy at the time given his injury record, especially when he got injured a couple of times throughout the season for us. I also didn't realise just how good he was, thinking he was at best a 15 goal a season striker. 

He has taken it to another level this season though, he looks so much fitter, stronger, sharper, quicker to get the ball onto his right foot to get the shot away. The amount of times i've watched a game and he just doesn't seem to ever give the ball away is incredible. 

Hopefully we can keep him for the next 4 or 5 years and get 20 goals a season out of him, and he'll go down as a club legend for sure. 

Same, this time last year I was thinking it was £20m that weren't very well spent. Not just the injuries but he only scored 4 non-penalty goals in 1668 minutes in the league. To put it into perspective, Adams this season also only has 4 but in 1107 minutes. Ings may well be the most improved player in the league, it is easy to forget that he wasn't particularly impressive last season.

On 29/07/2020 at 16:11, M271 said:

Danny won BBC Surprise Player of the Season with 52% of the vote.

That is a shit award to win. We used to have ‘most improved player’ for for our Saturday/Sunday sides which I always considered a bit patronising and would have been annoyed if I won. Never did and had to make do with quite a few top scorer and player of the season 😀

No buy-back clause for Liverpool with Danny Ings:

Liverpool did not insert a buy-back clause when Danny Ings completed his permanent move to Southampton a year ago. Ings was the Premier League’s second highest scorer last season, with 25 in all competitions, to put himself back in contention for a place in Gareth Southgate’s England squad.

The 28-year-old has two seasons left on his contract at St Mary’s which will be noted by rivals clubs. Liverpool ended up with four players current or former players in the top six 2019-20 goalscorers, with Ings joined by Mo Salah, Sadio Mane and Raheem Sterling.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/08/02/mike-mcgraths-transfer-notebook-brighton-among-premiership-clubs/amp/

Edited by SuperSAINT

On 01/08/2020 at 06:28, whelk said:

That is a shit award to win. We used to have ‘most improved player’ for for our Saturday/Sunday sides which I always considered a bit patronising and would have been annoyed if I won. Never did and had to make do with quite a few top scorer and player of the season 😀

How very dare you.

As the proud winner of The Chichester Hospital Buffalos "most improved player" award in 1986 after coming bottom of The Bognor Promotional League (Div4) I would suggest everything should be taken in context.

I had to be stopped from doing a lap of honour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4