Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

if any other club were signing ings for £20m on the back of the season he has, would we in anyway be jealous/envious?

not one bit IMO

Hopefully, a summer off and a good pre season will set him straight. But, he had that last summer, so......

Not sure where the idea that pre-season will get him fit comes from. I’d get that if he was overweight and had poor stamina but we’re not talking about that kind of fitness. An injury prone player is unlikely to change because of a couple weeks running around a field in the Swiss Alps.

Not sure where the idea that pre-season will get him fit comes from. I’d get that if he was overweight and had poor stamina but we’re not talking about that kind of fitness. An injury prone player is unlikely to change because of a couple weeks running around a field in the Swiss Alps.

Honestly, Ings is similar to and no better than Austin. They both come from Burley.

if any other club were signing ings for £20m on the back of the season he has, would we in anyway be jealous/envious?

not one bit IMO

Hopefully, a summer off and a good pre season will set him straight. But, he had that last summer, so......

Irks a bit that we have to give them about 2/3 of the price that they paid us for Mané for the insipid Ings. Didn't want him in the first place, certainly don't now. I'd certainly try to welsh on the deal if I could find a way.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Irks a bit that we have to give them about 2/3 of the price that they paid us for Mané for the insipid Ings. Didn't want him in the first place, certainly don't now. I'd certainly try to welsh on the deal if I could find a way.

We could ask Cardiff for advice.

He's broken. The player he was and built his reputation as played on the shoulder of the last defender and ran in behind.

Now his pace has gone, we're committing £20m on a player having to reinvent himself as a striker who comes deep to the ball, in spite of him having no track record of success whatsoever playing that way. Five goals from open play this season - the same as Shane Long FFS - is not an encouraging start: Jay Rodriguez managed that in his last season with us before we got rid of him because he, too, was a different animal after injury.

If we were spending £20m on today's Long or Rodriguez, everyone would think we were mental. And yet here we are.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

If we were spending £20m on today's Long or Rodriguez, everyone would think we were mental. And yet here we are.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Thank's again Les.

The ultimate insult and p!ss take in this deal is L/pool inserting a sell on clause. Wonder if Reed added these into the deals for VD & Mane in case they move on to Real Madrid.

I have heard it is not a done deal at all that we have to buy him.

Maybe I'm just putting 2+2 together, but...

The club have just launched a (god awful) leisurewear range called 'Inspired by Ings': https://store.saintsfc.co.uk/Product/ProductList/57600

Surely you wouldn't do that for a loan player, a month before you return him to his club. I know our commercial team/club shop is bad, but they cant be that stupid, can they?

The club have just launched a (god awful) leisurewear range called 'Inspired by Ings': https://store.saintsfc.co.uk/Product/ProductList/57600

Surely you wouldn't do that for a loan player, a month before you return him to his club. I know our commercial team/club shop is bad, but they cant be that stupid, can they?

:lol:

Leisurewear - can't help but think someone's taking the p*ss and sending a message.

£22 for a Danny Ings Camo Trucker Hat?!?....hold me back....:blush:

That does kind of confirm he will be here next season yeah

i hope thats true ...........why **** it up against a sicknote forward........there are too many also rans at this club please dont spend more on poor decisions.

i hope thats true ...........why **** it up against a sicknote forward........there are too many also rans at this club please dont spend more on poor decisions.

Ings is like Brann from game of thrones, sometimes useful but spends most the time crippled watching world pass him by.

So glad we may or may not be signing him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Bran sees the past and sometimes bits of the future. Surely seeing the what the future holds for Ings is just what's needed here.

Edited by Window Cleaner

That does kind of confirm he will be here next season yeah

The club have already said he signed on loan ahead of a permanent move in summer, I’ve no idea why people think otherwise. If someone is privy to different ITK info then fair enough but otherwise it’s just wishful thinking.

The club have already said he signed on loan ahead of a permanent move in summer, I’ve no idea why people think otherwise. If someone is privy to different ITK info then fair enough but otherwise it’s just wishful thinking.

That's the way I see it, so does the Liverpool OS. Still there'll always be people who know better than most.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team/player/danny-ings

He started the season strong but a poor backend. 8 goals before Christmas and none since. Still our most lethal striker in terms of goals per minute.

If he was £10m then I think we'd be unanimous here that it was a decent punt that hasn't fully worked out but that £20m record signing price tag puts some weight on his shoulders. Personally I'm happy to get behind him and give him another year to see if he regains that early season form.

PLAYER Minutes/Goal

Sergio Agüero 118

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang 120

Sadio Mané 140

Harry Kane 143

Gabriel Fernando de Jesus 146

Mohamed Salah Ghaly 148

Michy Batshuayi Tunga 151

Jamie Vardy 152

Anthony Martial 162

Raheem Shaquille Sterling 163

Ruben Loftus-Cheek 164

Heung-Min Son 170

Xherdan Shaqiri 176

Romelu Lukaku 178

Callum Wilson 181

Eden Hazard 183

Leroy Sané 187

Javier Hernández Balcázar 191

Riyad Mahrez 191

Alexandre Lacazette 193

Glenn Murray 193

Andre Gray 194

Ashley Barnes 199

Marko Arnautović 200

Richarlison de Andrade 206

Gerard Deulofeu 208

Lucas Rodrigues Moura da Silva 213

Roberto Firmino Barbosa de Oliveira 218

Gonzalo Higuaín 218

Pedro Rodríguez Ledesma 223

Paul Pogba 231

Marcus Rashford 234

José Salomón Rondón Giménez 237

Daniel Ings 238

Raúl Alonso Jiménez Rodríguez 240

Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson 241

Ayoze Pérez Gutiérrez 244

Joshua King 248

Ryan Guno Babel 252

Shane Long 254

Henrikh Mkhitaryan 259

Chris Wood 259

Diogo José Teixeira da Silva 263

André Schürrle 275

James Ward-Prowse 277

Eduardo Gamboa 283

Bobby De Cordova-Reid 284

Luka Milivojevic 285

Dominic Calvert-Lewin 296

Aleksandar Mitrović 298

Wilfried Zaha 304

David Brooks 325

Felipe Anderson Pereira Gomes 339

Christian Dannemann Eriksen 346

Mesut Özil 348

Michail Antonio 350

İlkay Gündoğan 356

James Milner 357

Bamidele Alli 367

David Silva 402

James Maddison 407

Bernardo Silva 408

Theo Walcott 424

Ryan Fraser 453

Mark Noble 462

Roberto Maximiliano Pereyra 470

Demarai Gray 499

Andros Townsend 503

Víctor Camarasa 516

Nathan Redmond 546

Abdoulaye Doucouré 612

Shane Duffy 618

I want to like him, but he's really poor in my eyes. Not so much at the start of the season, but what he's turned into is utter dross.

If I could, I'd say thanks and send him back to Liverpool this morning.

really harsh IMO. Poor service and up front On his own dropping deep to get the ball is part of the problem.

In a decent team he will shine but needs a second striker to play off. I’m happy to keep him but obvs injury record is a risk.

Thanks for the update. Always appreciated. His message on the big screen saying he was excited for next season here was also a big clue too!

And the fact he’s just having / completed building a new house.

Thanks for the update. Always appreciated. His message on the big screen saying he was excited for next season here was also a big clue too!

And the fact he’s just having / completed building a new house.

And the fact that both clubs have already said we're going to sign him.

Ings has signed, happened last week assume it'll be announced soon.

Signed last year I thought!?

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16409919.southampton-sign-danny-ings-on-loan-from-liverpool-on-transfer-deadline-day/

Danny Ings has made an emotional homecoming after the Saints fan signed for the club he loves in a dramatic deadline day deal.

The 26-year-old striker, who grew up playing football on Netley Recreation Ground, was a shock late signing for Saints.

Indeed, the move came so late in the day that Saints had to submit a deal sheet to the Premier League to grant them a two-hour extension to the transfer window to get the deal done.

Ings has joined from Liverpool on loan for the rest of the season ahead of a permanent switch next summer for a fee of £16m.

Ings was born in Winchester and grew up in Netley dreaming of playing for Saints while kicking a ball with his dad on Netley Recreation Ground.

While a pupil at Netley Abbey Primary School, he was rejected by Saints after being told he was too small.

Ings was schooled at Hamble Community Sports College and a scholarship took him to Brockenhurst College after impressing in a trial for AFC Bournemouth in his last year at school.

He went onto play for Cherries and Burnley, before joining Liverpool in 2015.

His time there has been disrupted by injuries, which have limited him to 14 appearances in three seasons at Anfield.

However, Mark Hughes sees him as the right man to add firepower to a Saints attack that has struggled for goals.

Hughes said: Southampton manager Mark Hughes said: “There was significant competition for Danny, with a lot of clubs keen to complete a deal for him, so we’re clearly delighted that he chose to join us.

“We have admired him for some time now, not only for his ability, but also his character and personality, which we feel will be an ideal fit in our dressing room.

“He’s obviously a local boy, who gives us another excellent option up front.

“He didn’t get to play as much as he would have liked at Liverpool, but he has been injury-free for some time now and has a real point to prove.

“It’s a great boost for us on the eve of the season to bring another quality player into the squad, and we’re excited about what he can bring to the group.”

Ings added: “When this football club came up, I had to take the opportunity to come home. It’s a fantastic football club who play great football and I’m just happy here.

“You can tell that as a club it’s very, very organised. From the start, everyone I’ve met has been fantastic with me and shown me every single detail I need to know. The facilities are great and I can’t wait to get started.”

It was otherwise a quiet deadline day for Saints, who didn’t lose anybody, despite rumblings that Fulham may make an irresistible offer for Matt Targett and James Ward-Prowse could move to Watford.

Fraser Forster also remains at the club, but with the European window open until the end of the month it remains a possibility he could move abroad on loan if a suitable deal arises.

he signed last week, on that training day open house at SMS, he told my kid he'd signed earlier in the day.

It was all dependent on us not getting relegated and him being available for a certain amount of games. Whether he made that number I do not know, but he may not of and we signed him anyway?

However, put into perspective, Mane was £15m more, i wonder who got the better deal?

Good work Mr Reed.

he signed last week, on that training day open house at SMS, he told my kid he'd signed earlier in the day.

It was all dependent on us not getting relegated and him being available for a certain amount of games. Whether he made that number I do not know, but he may not of and we signed him anyway?

However, put into perspective, Mane was £15m more, i wonder who got the better deal?

Good work Mr Reed.

Same price as Carillo near as but who will we get better service and return from?

Another gem of a transfer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Player of the season by a distance so far.

Averages fewer minutes per goal this season than Kane, Sterling, Mane, Rashford and Aubameyang.

A compelling example of why signing experienced players is important to complement the "buy low, sell high" policy. If we'd made a similar signing at centre back we'd probably wondering how high we can finish, rather than if we are going to get relegated.

Also seems like a decent bloke, and he's a mush, and he gave it to the Skates at the Fratton end.

Top lad all round.