Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

Our fans are mostly cu nts. Never fcking happy.
I would seriously have been happier if we hadn't bought him.

Or are you happy because just spending on players shows intent, no matter how badly you spend?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

If the figures above are correct how is this any different whatsoever to agreeing a permanent deal for £20m with an initial payment of £4-5m?

How much did Liverpool buy him for in the first place? I can only presume £25 million, and his injury-hit time there (earning little playing time), has deprecated his value by 5 million.

Otherwise i can only imagine a talantless arse would negotiate upwards from what Liverpool had paid for him....

Jeez, some of you moaning here have the nerve to call me negative.

Come on fellas, decent signing. We need to get with the program and realise that £18m is not biggy in this league. It gets you a half decent player.

Edited by Batman

Are we actually spending a club record £20m next summer on a guy with breadstick knees, who will only have one year left on his contract? When we could only sell Clyne to Liverpool for £10m because he only had one year left on his contract? When we could only sell Wanyama for £10m because he only had one year left on his contract? Are we honestly spending full whack on a player who has scored 3 goals in 3 years, going into the final year of his contract?

Wow. Just when you think Saints couldn't possibly do worse business, they keep on surprising you.

I mean, it's not like I'm paying for it, so I suppose I shouldn't care. But the knock on effect of splurging a huge chunk of next summer's transfer budget on Danny fricking Ings is likely to hamper attempts to strengthen an already weak squad.

Wonder if that means our first signing in the Championship could technically be a £20m striker. A sign of intent, I guess...

Good luck to Ings. Hope it all works out. I think it's a terrible panic move - Liverpool fans say his pace has been badly affected by his knee injuries, and that was pretty much his main asset.

But, hey, it might be a ranging success. Anything's possible, I suppose.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It’s more like a deferred transfer though isn’t it? So the price reflects the fact that he has two years left on his contract not one, and that we aren’t paying the fee up front. Not really the same as Clyne or Wanyama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spending £20m plus four years' wages on a highly injury-prone player?

We haven't yet. As it's a loan in the first instance we can decide not to go through with it. Also 20m isn't actually that much compared to the millions they bring in as a club.

It’s more like a deferred transfer though isn’t it? So the price reflects the fact that he has two years left on his contract not one, and that we aren’t paying the fee up front. Not really the same as Clyne or Wanyama.

Nobody pays the fee upfront though. It’s almost always in instalments.

We haven't yet. As it's a loan in the first instance we can decide not to go through with it. Also 20m isn't actually that much compared to the millions they bring in as a club.
I heard there's an obligation to buy, not option.

So there is a commitment to buy him for £18M plus £2M in performance clauses, and a 20% sell on fee, according to the Liverpool Echo.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/danny-ings-leaves-liverpool-reds-15011820

It’s a huge risk to enter into this commitment based on his injury record and the club’s limited transfer budget.

Hopefully we get the player that banged them in at Burnley. Liverpool at least sound genuinely sorry to see him go.

How much did Liverpool buy him for in the first place? I can only presume £25 million, and his injury-hit time there (earning little playing time), has deprecated his value by 5 million.

Otherwise i can only imagine a talantless arse would negotiate upwards from what Liverpool had paid for him....

The market has inflated a lot since then, and it was a tribunal fee because Ings was out of contract - these are always low

No, it’s an obligation to buy. We have to go through with it pal.

We haven't yet. As it's a loan in the first instance we can decide not to go through with it.

As long as this is true then I'll go back to being happy with the deal. Surely it is true otherwise what we have is a permanent deal with an initial down payment.

So it's a loan, after which we HAVE to buy him.

For £18M.

And it's Danny "who needs knees anyway?" Ings.

Fook.

Welcome anyway. I'll cheer you and will hope for the best.

Have you tried Cissus by the way? It's good for joints.

I would seriously have been happier if we hadn't bought him.

Or are you happy because just spending on players shows intent, no matter how badly you spend?

Yeah I was pretty happy with our other four signings its just this one that I find Meh...

Armstrong looks like he is going to be a good player at a bargain price

Gunn was 15 million well spent to keep Forster away from the 1st team

Mo has shown glimpses in pre-season he might not hit Tadic's heights but he looks a good addition

Vestergaard was clearly signed to try and stop us being dominated in the air at the back by the likes of Giroud, Vokes and Murray don't know if he will work out but at least I could see what the club where trying to do

This is 18-20 million for a Liverpool cast off with a terrible injury record and a not overly impressive goal record...ah well maybe it will work out

Nobody pays the fee upfront though. It’s almost always in instalments.

Yes but the total agreed fee is going to be determined by the remaining length of the contract with the selling club, which in this case is two years not one.

Edited by Toon Saint

Sceptical about the cost next season but trying to be positive and look beyond that for now. However, you do wonder the quality of striker we could have got if you combined his and Carrillo’s fees together...

Scary thought.

Could have bought you Salah 18 months ago for £37m.......

Oh well, football is broken!

Burnley injuries here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19242581

Injury at AFCB - I knew his gf at the time but it says it on his wiki page too.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers. So he’s done both knees twice? Very worrying. Hopefully Klopp’s words are right about him being in the best condition he’s been in, though doubt he’d say otherwise.

Can't believe the majority of the comments. Am I the only Saints fan on here? OK, one of the few?

Well at least we have the whipping boy for the season, and at $20 million thats good value for the trolls on this place

Crook obviously hasnt read this board....https://twitter.com/alex_crook/status/1027655885584310272?s=19 Its a gamble on fitness but he has a point to prove

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hope he does really well and puts his injury record behind him. Still think the signing smacks of desperation. Liverpool made him available early in the window and it seemed we were unwilling to pay their asking price. Fast forward to the final minutes of the window and suddenly we make our move and pay the asking price. It seems like he was a last resort option although not sure who else we failed to attract - Alcacer? Welbeck?

You could tell from his embrace with wee Ross in that video that this wasn’t the first time they’d met - like our other summer signings he came across well, just wonder why it took so long to go through when we’ve pretty much paid the price the Scousers were asking for all Summer?

Interesting selection headache though with everybody available (although there’s still time for Gabbi to move back to Italy which I guess is a possibility to balance the books).

You could tell from his embrace with wee Ross in that video that this wasn’t the first time they’d met - like our other summer signings he came across well, just wonder why it took so long to go through when we’ve pretty much paid the price the Scousers were asking for all Summer?

Interesting selection headache though with everybody available (although there’s still time for Gabbi to move back to Italy which I guess is a possibility to balance the books).

Klopp has said that we were interested “early on”

I’m guessing that the reports that were rubbished about us being in for him were actually true

Welcome on-board Danny :) I for one am excited by his arrival. Ok so he's had a couple of bad knee injuries in the past but you can see he's worked so hard to get back to the highest level. He has come home and is hungry to do well with us. That is good enough for me. He is a quality addition and Alan Smith on SSN has just said the same thing. Could be the signing of the summer.

Would be disappointed if Gabbiadini now goes. For me, he's our best striker.

Welcome on-board Danny :) I for one am excited by his arrival. Ok so he's had a couple of bad knee injuries in the past but you can see he's worked so hard to get back to the highest level. He has come home and is hungry to do well with us. That is good enough for me. He is a quality addition and Alan Smith on SSN has just said the same thing. Could be the signing of the summer.
I want him to do well, but I'll be amazed if your last sentence comes true.

Wow what a stupid decision.

No offence to the guy, he did well in the championship back in 2013. Was prolific if I remember rightly. But since then he can't have played much. Obviously not his fault but if he is constantly injured I don't see the benefit of this deal. Why not give one of our own a go?

Just makes the Jay sale seem even more baffling.

Welcome and all that and hope you re-find your touch. Just can't see him staying fit.

Now, I look at it differently. I can understand why people are under whelmed, but me, I'm just a season ticket holder and supporter. I have an opinion on what the club does, but in reality I have **** all idea how to run a football club. Therefore I put my trust in the club and their ability. Sure their decisions aren't always going to work, but that's the position we are in. We get cheaper players for a reason - they are unproven and therefore a higher risk. Having said that, given the amount clubs are dropping on minor players this window, it sure seems to have gone mad.

St Marco, if you and/or I ran the club, we would likely bankrupt it within a few months. Put faith in those running the club. For all the bad things that have happened recently, there are more than enough good things that have happened (either by luck or by design) that they still should have our trust.

No one can say the club isn't funny :D. Agreeing to pay 20 million pounds for a player who has had 4 long term injuries, and scored 3 times in 3 seasons. Oh, and Liverpool only paid £6.5 million for (Ings didn't make enough appearances to trigger the further 1.5 million bonus payment, shockingly.)

Our glorious leadership think the above adds up to an increase of 14 million pounds in his value. 8)

I wonder if our negotiating team pulls their pants down before meeting with the opposition, or figures it's more fun to let them do it. :lol:

Cheers. So he’s done both knees twice? Very worrying. Hopefully Klopp’s words are right about him being in the best condition he’s been in, though doubt he’d say otherwise.

Klopp wont care, he’ll be laughing his head off at mugging that pensioner out of their life savings, and their savings for future seasons too. Of all the dealings with Liverpool, this has made me more cross than any of the sales.

Loan with option to buy I’d have been happy with but this is stupidity on a par with Carrillo, Forster extension Mk2, Pellegrino and it goes on.

I’m sure there will be the usual BS about how the medical team can make the adjustments to tracing etc, just like they did with Austin.