Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

I don’t follow.

My point is that the ‘I told you so’s’ won’t come after he makes a mistake or even a poor game, they will come after he has another serious injury to one of his glass knees.

Yes they will. The ones who take enjoyment out of annoying fans on here will be all over him in the match thread as soon as he ****s up.

It's worth the risk IMO. If he does well, $20M will be a snip. It is likely that there are some stipulations in the contract with Liverpool about buying him (probably based on appearances/goals etc (i.e. if he gets injured or not).

Why do people insist there are stipulations in the contract? Not saying that there isn’t but as yet there is no evidence to suggest there is. Quite the opposite in fact.

Those who claim otherwise almost sound defensive.

Why do people insist there are stipulations in the contract? Not saying that there isn’t but as yet there is no evidence to suggest there is. Quite the opposite in fact. It almost sounds defensive.

It goes both ways. None of us know. There could either be stipulations or not. We don't know.

It goes both ways. None of us know. There could either be stipulations or not. We don't know.

Not really.

Virtually all the evidence to date suggests there aren’t any stipulations - if there were, there is a good chance that they would have been reported, not least by pet journos like Wilson. Now I’m not ruling out that there might be stipulations - but the burden of proof is clearly and categorically on those who believe there are to demonstrate this is the case.

Wiki says he grew up in Netley and dreamed of playing for Saints, but was rejected for being too small.

I find the "too small" reason hard to believe. He joined Saints not too long after Nathan Dyer and Theo Walcott and the club was fine with their height. They aren't going to write off a 10-year-old before puberty because of his height, it will be because they misjudged his overall ability/potential to improve or his attitude wasn't what they were looking for and has since changed.

Not really.

Virtually all the evidence to date suggests there aren’t any stipulations - if there were, there is a good chance that they would have been reported, not least by pet journos like Wilson. Now I’m not ruling out that there might be stipulations - but the burden of proof is clearly and categorically on those who believe there are to demonstrate this is the case.

Where is the evidence you speak of as i have only read journalistic reports....

Very sensible Nick and always good to debate with you on this forum. A poster that doesn't resort to name calling and respects others opinions is a rare breed.

OldNick for Mod!! :toppa:

Thanks for that, I'm so glad that I didn't put the 'you do more knee jerk reactions than a Pearly Queen on New Years Eve Pearly Queen convention' Phew, I got away with that one

Not really.

The stipulations that I read about yesterday were along the lines of £18M guaranteed, plus £2M in appearance-related add ons.

Does it matter is he was 2m or 20m 200m ? Its not our money, I get not payout. What it has done for me is that it has added a bit more optimism and excitement for the new season. I find it laughable that fans think Gallagher would be more likely to score the goals in the PL when patently he didn't score that many in the Championship. I truly hope Gallagher is a success in his career, but to gamble on him above a proven PL player is mad. Hopefully he will play a few games this season and gain experience and we will perhaps see him blossom.

Well, yes, it kind of does matter. Your other points are all valid, and the amount we paid shouldn't make you any less excited about seeing him play and hopefully do well for us. But there is always an opportunity cost with a deal - if Ings isn't up to it, then that's £20m that could have been spent on someone else, or more realistically we could have paid £10m and and used the other £10m to go towards another player.

I wanted us to sign Ings when he was at Burnley, so I'm obviously not disappointed he's here, but if your club doesn't have unlimited money (which, thankfully if you ask me, ours doesn't), then it is about getting value for money with every transfer you can, and something Saints used to be pretty good at.

Where is the evidence you speak of as i have only read journalistic reports....

Exactly. It's the Saintsweb way to get the info that matches the agenda.

I don't care either way. It's not my money. I wanted the team strengthened and it has been. Every transfer comes with some inherent risk. Hoping he does really well. I'm feeling the excitement for this season. Hearing Sparky's press conference and the positivity surrounding the team/club this year was a breath of fresh air.

I find the "too small" reason hard to believe. He joined Saints not too long after Nathan Dyer and Theo Walcott and the club was fine with their height. They aren't going to write off a 10-year-old before puberty because of his height, it will be because they misjudged his overall ability/potential to improve or his attitude wasn't what they were looking for and has since changed.

Malcolm Elias moved me on from Saints because I was "too small". That was from the horses mouth, to my face, and I hadn't finished puberty. Whether that was the truth or not who knows, but that's what was said.

Looks like Danny was told that too....

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11664945.Burnley_striker_and_ex_Saint_Danny_Ings_takes_aim_at_hometown_club/?ref=mry

Edited by LGTL

Well, yes, it kind of does matter. Your other points are all valid, and the amount we paid shouldn't make you any less excited about seeing him play and hopefully do well for us. But there is always an opportunity cost with a deal - if Ings isn't up to it, then that's £20m that could have been spent on someone else, or more realistically we could have paid £10m and and used the other £10m to go towards another player.

I wanted us to sign Ings when he was at Burnley, so I'm obviously not disappointed he's here, but if your club doesn't have unlimited money (which, thankfully if you ask me, ours doesn't), then it is about getting value for money with every transfer you can, and something Saints used to be pretty good at.

Of course, but selfishly I had thought we were getting nobody in and so was ecstatic we did, and a player who could light up my seasons enjoyment. I don't have 100% faith in the forwards we had, but now it will add more of a push to CA and the others. Obviously it is a risk that he may get injured, but I suspect he has had the medical treatment from the Liverpool medical staff and consultants. I am not sure if many players have returned back from such injuries but Iam hopeful.

Personally your point about the 20m would be more pertinent re Carillo, Ramirez , Boufal and co. They were not tested in the PL and turned out no good. This is a risk but if the medical teams say fine, surely he should be given the benefit, especially as the work he must have put in to get here

Not really.

I will be amazed if there isn't why would we sign that deal unless the final transfer fee is significantly lower than previously mentioned to offset our risk!

I will be amazed if there isn't why would we sign that deal unless the final transfer fee is significantly lower than previously mentioned to offset our risk!

This is the club that signed Carrillo for a record fee whilst backing an utter clown of a manager. All very recently.

As said on Football Weekly podcast; Southampton are just a weird club now

Malcolm Elias moved me on from Saints because I was "too small". That was from the horses mouth, to my face, and I hadn't finished puberty. Whether that was the truth or not who knows, but that's what was said.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11664945.Burnley_striker_and_ex_Saint_Danny_Ings_takes_aim_at_hometown_club/?ref=mry

Also interesting to read this in the article:

"The Danny Ings Disability Sports Project provides football coaching for disabled children and those with learning difficulties." Hopefully he can continue this in Southampton if it is still going.

Another hit-and-miss journeyman signing confirms that we are preparing for relegation. Bargain basement is good enough for Saints now.

Can you explain how the following applies to Ings...?

1) "hit and miss"

2) "journeyman"

3) signing him means Saints are "preparing for relegation"

4) "bargain basement" when he could cost £20m and will be on large wages

Can you explain how the following applies to Ings...?

1) "hit and miss"

2) "journeyman"

3) signing him means Saints are "preparing for relegation"

4) "bargain basement" when he could cost £20m and will be on large wages

It's "hit OR miss" for a start :)

Another hit-and-miss journeyman signing confirms that we are preparing for relegation. Bargain basement is good enough for Saints now.

Not impossible that we could be sitting right at the bottom of the table this time.

Do you want to put a wager on that??

Just goes to show how short-sighted football clubs are (were, but probably still are). The number of players you hear of being rejected on that basis seems to be pretty high, when unless you're a goalkeeper and probably centre back, your height is pretty irrelvant for how good a footballer you might become. Some of the greatest footballers that have ever lived are/were tiny.

Hopefully someone asks Ralph and Les about the structure of the Ings deal at the upcoming fans forum to clarify things.

He completes a good window, best for ages. We kept all the players we wanted to keep, first time for years. We made three good signings early so they got full pre season, just what we've been asking for and now we've strengthened where we were weakest at the last minute. What more does anyone expect? There should be a round of applause for Les and co. great effort :)

He completes a good window, best for ages. We kept all the players we wanted to keep, first time for years. We made three good signings early so they got full pre season, just what we've been asking for and now we've strengthened where we were weakest at the last minute. What more does anyone expect? There should be a round of applause for Les and co. great effort :)

Did we? I'd guess Hughes would still like Tadic.

Too small is code for "****e".

Reading some forums coupled with many comments on twitter from Liverpool fans, they seem genuinely gutted he has gone.

Nothing but glowing reports on not only his demeanour but the way he played,however few times that maybe.

Of course you do get the occasional melt peaved that he came to us,sighting the move in bizarre comparisons to the VVD saga.

They can be a strange lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not been on for a long time. **** me we have some negative "fans" on here. Reading a lot of the posts we are already relegated, some people can't wait for Danny Ings to get injured and "proved right" etc. etc. Just enjoy supporting the Saints and less of the wrist slitting for ****s sake.

Not really.

It does indeed seem there is no contingency in the deal for any serious injuries. Suggestions otherwise is wishful thinking.

Fingers crossed that he and Austin form a good partnership: taking turns with one available on the pitch while the other is in the treatment room. Two half loaves is as good as a whole one!

Liverpool demand £20m for Danny Ings. Everyone laughs at them. Then Southampton pay £20m.

(I'm not particularly anti this signing btw, just can't believe Liverpool wouldn't have accepted a slightly lower, or differently structured deal. And if not, then it is still a huge amount to risk on someone with his recent injuries).

If it's £20m its our record buy. Still less than Bournemouth, Fulham, Brighton, Wolves etc transfer record.........

Unfortunately, stature was an old assessment criteria at the academy - predominately for technically weak players too. It's a lazy release term.