Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

Wonder what this means for Gallagher and Long?

Long is better as a winger, he isn't a goalscorer but his pace out wide caused a few teams problems last season.

Gallagher can be our Crouch, we throw him on with 15 minutes to go when we need a goal and we're going route one.

Thought he was at the Liverpool saints semi final when at Burnley jumping about when we scored

Not sure about that, but grew up with him (from same area and went to the same school), he’s not a ‘fan’. Obviously has an affiliation with the club being born and living in Netley, but was generally always resentful that he wasn’t good enough for us (as a nipper).

If he was such a fan and wanted to play for the club that much, he wouldn’t have chosen Liverpool over us when he was at Burnley.

FWIW we’ve been in contact with him for a few month (think I said this previously) we just wouldn’t pay £20m that Liverpool wanted for him.

Not sure about that, but grew up with him (from same area and went to the same school), he’s not a ‘fan’. Obviously has an affiliation with the club being born and living in Netley, but was generally always resentful that he wasn’t good enough for us (as a nipper).

If he was such a fan and wanted to play for the club that much, he wouldn’t have chosen Liverpool over us when he was at Burnley.

FWIW we’ve been in contact with him for a few month (think I said this previously) we just wouldn’t pay £20m that Liverpool wanted for him.

Do players sign for clubs they support over much bigger clubs who pay more money then?

Long is better as a winger, he isn't a goalscorer but his pace out wide caused a few teams problems last season.

Gallagher can be our Crouch, we throw him on with 15 minutes to go when we need a goal and we're going route one.

Last time I saw him play, he was woeful in the air. Strange for such a big lad. Has he improved in that department?

You’d sign for saints over Liverpool just because you support them?

Expect Gallagher will go out on loan now, probably Blackburn.

Wouldn’t have had ings atop my shopping list in a month of Sunday’s but disappointed he’s got written off already.

Tbh, delighted we’ve got some more competition upfront now and delighted it’s not a permanent deal with his injury record. Definitely better that we try before we buy as it’s lesser risk and more financially prudent. For a change.

A big ask for him to rediscover his Burnley form but we should give him all the backing and encouragement we can.

You’d sign for saints over Liverpool just because you support them?

Personally, yes I would but then I love saints and that’s the only club I could imagine playing for. Obviously I’m not in his shoes and I’m not fortunate enough to have to make that decisiom.

Point being, he doesn’t support saints :lol:

Wouldn’t have had ings atop my shopping list in a month of Sunday’s but disappointed he’s got written off already.

Tbh, delighted we’ve got some more competition upfront now and delighted it’s not a permanent deal with his injury record. Definitely better that we try before we buy as it’s lesser risk and more financially prudent. For a change.

A big ask for him to rediscover his Burnley form but we should give him all the backing and encouragement we can.

Spot on

Personally, yes I would but then I love saints and that’s the only club I could imagine playing for. Obviously I’m not in his shoes and I’m not fortunate enough to have to make that decisiom.

Point being, he doesn’t support saints :lol:

Yeah he’s a local lad, but not a fan, think people keep getting confused with Vokes.

What harm can it do taking him on loan? None. Won't stop the wa_nkspangles moaning though.

Liverpool wanted £20m. £20m!

No takers so we nip in. That's good business.

It obviously depends on the loan fee and how much of his wage we are paying.

Personally, I don’t think he improves the team. He’s not any better than Gabbi or Austin and is probably on par with Long.

I was wary of a permanent signing but a loan with obligation to buy obviously mitigates some of the risk, given Ings’ terrible luck with injuries.

If we can get Austin and Ings playing together then at least that is a partnership that has proven to work well, albeit at Championship level. Given the various options we had among our other four strikers I’m not sure there is any natural partnership or chemistry between any of them - though to some extent that hasn’t really been worked on until Hughes came in.

Overall, a good window and glad it’s ended on a positive note, with no notable outgoings either. Looking forward to Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, we've got our Carillo replacement so mission accomplished in that regard. And a managed risk.

But doesn't seem to really improve the first team, just yet more squad meat on first impressions.

Good luck to him and hope he does well.

Well, we've got our Carillo replacement so mission accomplished in that regard. And a managed risk.

But doesn't seem to really improve the first team, just yet more squad meat on first impressions.

Good luck to him and hope he does well.

What are the odds that Long is starting again by the middle of the campaign?

We've known we've needed a striker since 2016, so it's a bit odd that we're having to submit an extention. Bit last-ditch, when it shouldn't have been. Still have absolutley no confidence in who is running our recruitment at the moment.

We needed another striker though, without question. Glad they finally got one and if fit he's a hell of a lot better than Carillo, we just need to hope he stays fit and we don't end up with a season of Ings and Austin in the treatment room!

Still, it's a cheap gamble I guess.

Perhaps we were hopeful of getting Welbeck but that one didn’t work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An obligation to buy generally means they will buy him next season instead of this season. Atleast in Italy it's done generally if they don't have funds this season, so will guarantee to buy him using next season funds.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What harm can it do taking him on loan? None. Won't stop the wa_nkspangles moaning though.

Liverpool wanted £20m. £20m!

No takers so we nip in. That's good business.

It wont do any harm but that's nowhere near good enough. We needed significant improvement up front and I don't think we've found it. I can still see Austin taking home our golden boot with about 7 goals, like he has for the last 2 years. Mo and Armstrong are unknowns, Ings has a terrible fitness record; 3 goals in 14 games in 8 years.

Our recruitment in the final 3rd of the pitch feels like we've made par on the 18th hole. Not bad in itself but we're already 8 shots off the lead.

At the end of the season Ings would only have one year left on his contract so surely available for a Clyne/Wanyama knock down fee.

Loan makes complete sense, hopefully his fitness holds out. Not sure he is the profile of forward we need but he can finish and will have a point to prove.

Would be interesting to know if he has been a genuine target through the summer or is a panic signing of sorts?

Expect Gallagher will go out on loan, but wonder if we could ship out Long instead and keep SG as 4th choice. If he goes out on loan now then thats him done at Saints I would think.

It wont do any harm but that's nowhere near good enough. We needed significant improvement up front and I don't think we've found it. I can still see Austin taking home our golden boot with about 7 goals, like he has for the last 2 years. Mo and Armstrong are unknowns, Ings has a terrible fitness record; 3 goals in 14 games in 8 years.

Our recruitment in the final 3rd of the pitch feels like we've made par on the 18th hole. Not bad in itself but we're already 8 shots off the lead.

I think he's only been at Liverpool 3 years rather than 8, and 3 goals in 14 games is nearly a goal every three games.....

are you sure :?

I'm far from sure about this. There's a huge question over whether he can keep fit, a bigger one over whether he can be anything like his old self and I can't help wondering if this isn't just adding another at the same level as Austin or Long. Think I'd have preferred giving Gallagher a chance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That will be the line trotted out no doubt. I have it on good authority (and seem to remember someone on here recently saying something to the same effect) he's quite sure of himself (i.e. bit of a pr*ck) and revelled in our misfortune a few years ago as he is bitter towards us releasing him when he was a kid.

Pretty much spot on with this mate.

Ings is a very good player, at least he was before the injuries. I haven’t seen to much of him since but if he is still the player I once saw then him and Gabbi could make for an excellent pairing.