As it stands, who is your bottom 3?

JustMike

Early predictions of Watford don’t look so good as they’ve already got a quarter of the points needed to stay up after just 4 games. Huddersfield and Cardiff look strong candidates for the drop. My third choice would be Fulham, despite the money they’ve spent but Newcastle could beat them to it.

Saints have too good a squad and are playing too well to be in a relegation scrap. If it hadn’t been for Hojbjerg’s sending off against Leicester we’d already be in the top half of the table.

Early predictions of Watford don’t look so good as they’ve already got a quarter of the points needed to stay up after just 4 games. Huddersfield and Cardiff look strong candidates for the drop. My third choice would be Fulham, despite the money they’ve spent but Newcastle could beat them to it.

Saints have too good a squad and are playing too well to be in a relegation scrap. If it hadn’t been for Hojbjerg’s sending off against Leicester we’d already be in the top half of the table.

Make that a third of the points needed

• 1 month later...
Here it is

Palace got a terrible run of games. Fulham can’t defend.

Still think Huddersfield and Cardiff have gone.

Newcastle if rumours that Benitez might be off then that is us safe.

Newcastle might sake Rafa but then get Leonardo Jardim and that may see them safe if they spend a few quid. Cardiff and Huddersfield look nailed on, but things can change fast at the bottom. There is almost always a top 10 side that slips down for the second half of the season. That could be Bournemouth, Watford or Wolves. Likewise someone in the bottom six or so almost always goes a run taking them toward the top ten.

Newcastle might sake Rafa but then get Leonardo Jardim and that may see them safe if they spend a few quid. Cardiff and Huddersfield look nailed on, but things can change fast at the bottom. There is almost always a top 10 side that slips down for the second half of the season. That could be Bournemouth, Watford or Wolves. Likewise someone in the bottom six or so almost always goes a run taking them toward the top ten.

Rumour has it we are talking to jardim atm as a backup when we sack Hughes. Saw it on twitter so take a pinch of salt. I'll try and find the article and post it.

Think that we will be bottom 6 but not go down. Huddersfield and Cardiff look poor. Fulham, Newcastle and Palace don't look much better and Ashley has already said that Newcastle wont be spending any money in January. Think that they will be joining Huddersfield and Cardiff. Going to be a long season though. My guess is Saints to finish 16th.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1034038/Southampton-next-manager-Mark-Hughes-Leonardo-Jardim

Could be a load of fluff but I'd like to think the board are not going to leave it too long if we are not picking up and wins.

Haven’t the club said there is always a potential list of managers and players. Just a shame that it stops there.

Rumour has it we are talking to jardim atm as a backup when we sack Hughes.

"Hello, Mr Jardim? Just wondering if you may be interested in a forthcoming vacancy in the PL?"

"Premier League? yeah f'sure, who is this?"

"Southampton FC"

"Eh, the mugs I sold a carthorse to for 19m big ones......?"

*sound of much laughter as phone cuts off*

Don't give a **** about the others but we'll definitely be in there this time.

I don't think we're likely to be relegated. After ten games, two teams have yet to win and two teams have goal differences of -17, and for my money, Newcastle, Fulham, and Huddersfield are all worse than us. Cardiff and Burnley are also desperately poor.

Newcastle and Fulham have the resources to spend in the next transfer round and avoid relegation.

Huddersfield and Cardiff are worse than us but might pull together a few wins.

Burnley have had a tougher schedule than us and yet have a point more. Now that they are out of european games, their thin resources will be less stretched.

Us with Huddersfield and Cardiff to go.

Think that we will be bottom 6 but not go down. Huddersfield and Cardiff look poor. Fulham, Newcastle and Palace don't look much better and Ashley has already said that Newcastle wont be spending any money in January. Think that they will be joining Huddersfield and Cardiff. Going to be a long season though. My guess is Saints to finish 16th.

My prediction 16th, made it before the season started and I expect to be accurate again, just like last season.

Unless there are some drastic changes from top to bottom at this club very soon even if we stay up this season it’s only delaying the inevitable.

Reed, Wilson, probably Hughes and about half the squad need moving on. We have a losing mentality at the club right now, for that to change it’s going to need more than a simply changing the manager again.

Unless there are some drastic changes from top to bottom at this club very soon even if we stay up this season it’s only delaying the inevitable.

Reed, Wilson, probably Hughes and about half the squad need moving on. We have a losing mentality at the club right now, for that to change it’s going to need more than a simply changing the manager again.

Unfortunately, this is why I think a relegation is pretty much nailed for us in the coming seasons - if not this year, then probably the following. We're on a Sunderland/Villa/Swansea type slide, changing managers left, right and centre, trying to be clever with cheap signings with no sign of anything changing at the 'Top'. (very similar to Ellis Short at Sunderland, Lerner at Villa, the Yanks @ Swansea).

It will be very hard for the entire club to swing around the momentum curve without some very radical changes, which are likely to only come upon a relegation. Sunderland had to have two of them to finally rid themselves and swing the club round, and now they seem to be refreshed in L1.

If you look at the other clubs below us all have played more top 6 teams than we have:

Huddersfield have played Chelsea, Man City, Tottenham and Liverpool

Newcastle have played Tottenham, Chelsea, ManCity, Arsenal and Man United.

Fulham have played Tottenenham, Man City and Arsenal.

Cardiff have played Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Tottenahm and Liverpool.

On the radio before the Bournemouth game they were saying Both Bournemouth and Saints hand kind fixtures to start with. Bournemouth have taken advantage and got the points and Saints haven't.

I would say Saints will be in the bottom 3 by Christmas after we have played Man City, Tottenham, Man United and Arsenal.

I we have the January widow to strengthen, however our last 3 or 4 transfer windows have been poor and the players we have brought in are either out on loan or struggle to get in a very poor Saints team.

Something needs to change drastically if we are to survive.

This is our fourth consecutive season of decline in the league. Is there any evidence that the people currently running the club can turn that around?

2015/16 63 pts

2016/17 46 pts

2017/18 36 pts

2018/19 28-32 pts ?? (and even that's being optimistic as we currently have 7 points from 10 games, which over a season would give us a total of 26-27 pts.}

On a positive note there are 4 teams below us with even fewer points. So, Huddersfield, Cardiff and one from Saints, Fulham and Newcastle look the likely relegation candidates. The bookies have Burnley in the mix too. A change of manager and coaches plus players bought in the January transfer window could be the deciding factors.

If you look at the other clubs below us all have played more top 6 teams than we have:

On the radio before the Bournemouth game they were saying Both Bournemouth and Saints hand kind fixtures to start with. Bournemouth have taken advantage and got the points and Saints haven't.

I would say Saints will be in the bottom 3 by Christmas after we have played Man City, Tottenham, Man United and Arsenal.

Something needs to change drastically if we are to survive.

Correct. Our actual position flatters us due to the easy fixtures played so far. A similar situation last season which hit us in December when playing more challenging fixtures. Problem is does Gao or Kreuger understand this. Reed is probably hiding the reality.

This is our fourth consecutive season of decline in the league. Is there any evidence that the people currently running the club can turn that around?

2015/16 63 pts

2016/17 46 pts

2017/18 36 pts

2018/19 28-32 pts ?? (and even that's being optimistic as we currently have 7 points from 10 games, which over a season would give us a total of 26-27 pts.}

On a positive note there are 4 teams below us with even fewer points. So, Huddersfield, Cardiff and one from Saints, Fulham and Newcastle look the likely relegation candidates. The bookies have Burnley in the mix too. A change of manager and coaches plus players bought in the January transfer window could be the deciding factors.

Spot on analysis, with the exception there really is little of a positive to be taken from the other poor teams, as we’ve yet to play the top teams. I do not believe changing the manager is the right move - sign of madness when you do the same wrong things and expect a different result. It’s the players and mainly the attacking players...they were never good enough and now the entire squad has no belief they’re good enough.

In short, the rot has set in and only an amazing January window with significant outwards and inwards movement is going to change our fortunes. As a non-betting man I would put a decent sum of money on the odds of that not happening. We are definately in the mix to go down and if you want a recent example of why, ask why we could not beat a shockingly bad Newcastle.

If we are two or more points above the relegation zone on Januay 3rd, then we are probably staying up.

11 games to Jan 3rd. 6 vs "top 6". Other 5 games include 3 away to relegation rivals Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield. Just two chances to win at home in 2018, Watford and West Ham.

We had 20 points after 21 games last season (3 above relegation zone). This season, probably need to get to 20+ points by 3rd Jan, which is 13+ more. It is only 4 wins from that group...........

• 3 months later...

Fulham, Burnley, Newcastle and Palace all improving in recent weeks, which makes it more difficult to judge. Especially as we only managed a draw against Palace and have Burnley and Fulham to come presently.

I think Huddersfield are down although surely they'll improve at some point, Cardiff probably won't have enough in the tank, then there is one spot to fight to avoid. We could feasibly be down there but under Hasenhuttl it's unlikely, but we need another 4 wins from somewhere. Fulham can score goals but their defence may go against them. Tough to call the third spot, but wishful thinking has me going for Burnley.