Our Awful Opening Game Record

vrotherham1964

Over the years I knew we didn't do too well in the opening games, but when I checked it's awful! In the last 30 seasons we have only won the opening league game THREE times: WBA away 1-0 2013/14, Leeds home 3-1 2011/12 and Coventry away 1-0 1999/2000.

Here's hoping Sunday is our second home win in the opening game in 31 years!

I was at The Coventry game ..... our only opening day win between 1989 and 2012 inclusive..... 1 win in 24 seasons!!

One season we were top of the league on opening day winning 2-0 at HT at Derby but managed to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory ..... our we are top of the league and we're gonna win the league

songs were replaced by 2-0 and you effed it up taunts from the Derby Fans.

As MLG says all the previous seasons are irrelevent to our game on Sunday but excluding the Leeds match our previous home win on opening day was in 1989 versus WHU playing in Claret and Blue and

a certain Paul Ridout weighing in with 2 goals on his debut on his return "home' having previously played for Southampton Schoolboys :smug:

4-0 to us is destined to be the score and Ings getting 2. Get down to Ladbrokes now!!

Is it? People remain at the club, former players, fans. Records get brought up all the time. It seems illogical but it does have an impact. Hopefully we can correct it this time.

Have we ever won an opening day premier league match?? I don't recall one.

WBA away a couple of years ago

Is it? People remain at the club, former players, fans. Records get brought up all the time. It seems illogical but it does have an impact. Hopefully we can correct it this time.

Have we ever won an opening day premier league match?? I don't recall one.

As stated above ... WBA away, BUT we haven't won an opening day HOME fixture since 1989, which was pre Prem, so lets put that one to bed.