Burnley Match Thread

St Chalet

Saints defence worries me. Standing off opponents and allowing them to easily get balls into the box is never a good plan. Also giving away too many silly free kicks which just allows Burnley the chance to stick one in the area. Lucky to be at 0-0.

Promising signs as the half wore on. Vesterguard strong. Lemina dynamic. Redmond showing some thrilling touches. Armstrong an exciting add to the team. McCarthy huge. (last year we'd have been at least a goal down.) Think we need Hojbjerg or JWP on. Like others, I'd prefer 4 at the back and extra midfielder.

I Think we need to replace Redmond and Lemina with ?? (Ings, Gabbi, Mo). There just isn't enough control and attack going on.

Bringing on them wont add any sort of control to the game, need HOJ or JWP for that, some one to do the simple things and keep the midfield organised. ATM we just all over the place, Redmond does need to come off though.

Same old. Can change the personnel all we want but while managers are being this negative these are the performances we'll get, especially at home to average sides. It's so fcking frustrating to watch. Just playing into Burnley's hands.

3 managers in a row who just seem terrified to attack. Hoedt for Mo would really change this game. But it's not going to happen is it.

Best chance is just hoping Burnley keep missing, Vesterguard keeps playing well and we fluke a goal. But christ our approach is pathetic.

We beat Burnley 3-1 under Puel.

Don’t let the facts get in the way of your full of holes argument though

Lemina has been pretty good. Arguably our best player at passing the ball forward.

I'm not keen on the 5-4-1/3-4-3 formation, though. I'd prefer to see a diamond midfield or two strikers with an attacking midfielder behind them. I think either of the two would give Burnley more to worry about and allow us some control in the centre. I think we can afford to sacrifice a bit of wide cover when we have a 6'7" defender to nod the ball away.

I 100% guarantee that we will be a much better team when Hoedt isn't in the side.

Crystalize that comment, seriously. Only way to find that out though is for Hughes to get rid of the useless turd. Please, Sparky...

Oh and Lemina, as talented as he is, does not offer what we need in a midfielder. Isn't helped alongside a the cr4ppest version of Oriel Romeu I've seen. If only we had a Wanyama who'd let ML go ahead and play..

Negatives: McCarthy MOTM so far. Against Burnley. Not a great start.

Positives: Hughes is going to go mental in the dressing room and then we will improve 2nd half, Moi will come on and score by the 75th minute, followed by Ings sealing it late on. 2-0 Saints.

You're welcome.

Vestergard is already looking like a huge upgrade on the two blokes either side of him.

There used to be a time when oue defensive midfielders never let anyone get to the centre backs we used to press when the ball in midfield and all our centre backs were untroubled

Unfortunately it is now our forwars who are untroubled bring back Wayama and Spiderman Lemina and Romaeu just arent up to it!

That was best described as a Paulo Wanchope type performance

Arms and legs everywhere with people just running around aimlessly at times.

Like Paulo Wanchope I'm unsure how deliberate some of the rare decent moments were.

Need to be thankful for Burnleys lack of quality as another day we would be dead in this game already

Same old. Can change the personnel all we want but while managers are being this negative these are the performances we'll get, especially at home to average sides. It's so fcking frustrating to watch. Just playing into Burnley's hands.

3 managers in a row who just seem terrified to attack. Hoedt for Mo would really change this game. But it's not going to happen is it.

Best chance is just hoping Burnley keep missing, Vesterguard keeps playing well and we fluke a goal. But christ our approach is pathetic.

We had some good chances against Burnley last season at home. Their keeper kept them into it. We beat them 3-1 under Puel.

This performance has been garbage - who concedes 60% possession at home to Burnley? Their keeper has had nothing to do except a routine save from Lemina. We came into the game as the half went on but only because the bar was so low. Our buildup play remained frenzied and Burnley still had the better chances.

Going to have to start scoring a lot as this defence is utter garbage.

how are we going to do that? Redmond does not create all that much, Armstrong is a Davis type, busy but not someone that beats a man and Austin is a tap in merchant?

We had some good chances against Burnley last season at home. Their keeper kept them into it. We beat them 3-1 under Puel.

This performance has been garbage - who concedes 60% possession at home to Burnley? Their keeper has had nothing to do except a routine save from Lemina. We came into the game as the half went on but only because the bar was so low. Our buildup play remained frenzied and Burnley still had the better chances.

This.

who will be the first to call us all squinnying knee-jerk melts?

Teams that are utter **** as we were last season don't tend to turn it around in a summer. My expectations were so low coming into the season, but even I had hoped we'd snap at the heals of Burnley and at least look solid. We are nothing like that and it goes without saying that we give the ball away cheaply and offer little threat. A lot of improvement needed in the second half and beyond.