Saints 0 Burnley 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

Well that panned how a lot of us predicted. five at the back at home to Burnley is just such a WTF moment

We literally gifted Burnley the game for 60 minutes by playing five at the back. We had no control of midfield and sat deep putting no pressure on the ball. First half Burnley where pinging the ball around like a cultured ball playing team cutting us open at will.

After the change we got control of the ball and put them under some really pressure. We might well have won this game if we had 70 minutes of play like the latter part of the game instead of 30.

As for the players the new guys all look promising so far. Redmond had a good game and Romeu looked like,a different player after the formation change. Hoedt still looks like a flamming liability.

Despite calls pre-season McCarthy looks nailed on as No 1

Dreadful for an hour, considering we had 3 CBs they had so much space in the box and had the chances to put the game beyond us. Nobody really looked like they knew what they were doing.

If we start with the 11 that finished, in the same formation, we will do alright this season but that starting 11 was garbage.

McC - 8 some very smart saves kept us in it. A couple of dodgy balls out

Cedric - 5 don’t think he touched the ball for the first 30 mins.

Stephens - 6 Shaky at CB, looked better at RB

Vestegaard - 7 strong and dominant, looked much better after the subs

Hoedt- 6 Again, looked better after the subs

Bertrand - 7 Seemed to work well with Elyo second half

Romeu - 5 Never imposed himself on the game

Lemina - 7 industrious, one of his better games.

Redmond - 6 on 33 minutes he ran at the defence and scared the crap out of them. Why he doesn’t do it more I have no idea.

Armstrong - 6 looked decent until his injury

Austin - 4 I know he’s a good finisher but his all round game is just poor IMO.

Ings - 7 looked bright and lively

Gabbi - 6 didn’t have a lot of time but looked okay. Should have started

Elyo - 6 Looked a threat at times. Would like to see him start on the left.

Dreadful for an hour, considering we had 3 CBs they had so much space in the box and had the chances to put the game beyond us. Nobody really looked like they knew what they were doing.

If we start with the 11 that finished, in the same formation, we will do alright this season but that starting 11 was garbage.

Redmond - 6 on 33 minutes he ran at the defence and scared the crap out of them. Why he doesn’t do it more I have no idea.

I think people are being a little unfair on Romeu he,was awful until the formation change then he really upped it looked much more like his old self.

Austin should not be starting PL games for us. Fine as an impact player for last 20 mins who might scramble a goal in but his contribution was pathetic today. Can’t press, can’t hold the ball up, could barely make 5 yard passes. Seems to relish being fouled so he can steal a breather. Complete embarrassment in terms of fitness levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be a very classic saints situation. We did not exactly look awful, but neither did we look that great. And crucially, we can't bloody score whatsoever! Early days in the season though...

Exactly as expected really. We are ok and should survive but we won't be ripping the league up.

New guys all looked good. Firegaard and Ings in particular. And I think Mo Ely is going to get better and better.

The amount of space we gave them to begin with was laughable though. I don’t think Burnley could quite believe their luck... has to be 442 at home. Ended well, but ran out of time. Penalty at the end for Ings? I thought so. But then i’m massively biased...

I think people are being a little unfair on Romeu he,was awful until the formation change then he really upped it looked much more like his old self.

Romeu upped it from pretty dire to something slightly better...Than dire. The critisism is justified he has been off the pace for a long time now.

Five thoughts:

1. The 3 CBs doesn't work for a variety of reasons with the defenders and midfielders we have. System was the biggest problem for the first 55mins, we were so overrun in midfield. Burnley's defence and midfield had so much time to dictate the game. The 4-2-3-1 of the second half suits our players much more, simplifies the roles of some players and allows us to play at a tempo that creates chances in the PL. Please ditch the 3 CBs.

2. Redmond was excellent second half in a more narrow position. Incisive, good passes, creative.

3. Ings really promising, showed up Austin, who was woeful. Ings was the 10 in a 4-2-3-1, versatile player. Can tell he has been training with better players for the last year.

4. Elynoussi promising. Not a lot of pace but good feet and suprisingly robust. Appears an upgrade on Boufal and a lot more of a worker. Nice corners too.

5. Austin is done IMO. Woeful today yet got a standing ovation when he went off due to a quite bizarre cult status with our fans. Offers absolutely nothing unless in the area and we can't afford passengers. 14 PL goals in two and a half years and he doesn't do anything else. That isnt worth a start and IMO he should be third in the striker order. The league is too quick for him. It is 4 years since the season he was good at this level.

Austin ran his socks off dreadful formation and no service

Fair play to Hughes, he changed it when he had to and it almost paid dividends. Compared to that one dimensional muppet last season he's a tactical genius.

Hope it's a lesson learned, quit the negative crap and attack. Last 35 mins showed we have the players to do OK this season, just need to be taken off the leash.

Gabbi and Ings looks like an interesting combo up front.

Fair play to Hughes, he changed it when he had to and it almost paid dividends. Compared to that one dimensional muppet last season he's a tactical genius.

Hope it's a lesson learned, quit the negative crap and attack. Last 35 mins showed we have the players to do OK this season, just need to be taken off the leash.

good post. My only fear is whether we are good enough and confident enough to attack the better sides. Sitting back wont work, so maybe its a no brainer

Romeu upped it from pretty dire to something slightly better...Than dire. The critisism is justified he has been off the pace for a long time now.

and who from last seasons team hasn't been?

first half he was pants but so was everyone in red white bar McCarthy and Armstrong. Second half, after the change, he upped his game and was controlling the midfield with Lemina.

did we play four at the back at all during preseason?

Preseason is for building up fitness,bedding in new personnel and sorting out a formation/system for the coming season,not dragging your team half way around the world on a pr exercise.

What occurred half way through the second half with the change should have been all sorted out as a result of experimentation during preseason . The question now is do we have a manager who quickly learns or do we have a pig headed one who persists with failure like his predecessor ?

Fair play only to an extent. The vast majority on here could see the 3 CBs wasn’t working during preseason; yet Hughes went into the season with it. We should have been dead and buried by the time he changed things. Anyway water under the bridge if he’s now learned his lesson.

At 55 mins I was despairing. Hughes performed an anti Pellegrino and changed the game with an effective double sub / formation change.

McCarthy 8 - Great saves, dodgy distribution, but he was facing suicide passing from the CB’s, particularly Hoedt.

Stephens 6 - Not his best, but just about okay. Solid defensive RB after 55 mins, couldn’t do the forward work though.

Vestergaard 8 (Motm) - Absolutely excellent, looks like the missing puzzle piece. Strong in the air (as he should be), but also good on the ground. Especially when you consider that he spent the whole game having to bail out Stephens (a bit) and Hoedt (a lot).

Hoedt 2 - Garbage, an absolute liability. I have seen nothing in him apart from his first couple of games to suggest he will ever improve. Yoshida instead please, permanently.

Cedric 6 - Not too bad, not too good. Borderline invisible in fact.

Bertrand 7 - Good going forward, however we seemed to be leaving a gap between him and Hoedt at the back that Burnley repeatedly exploited in the first half. This may be down to Hoedt though.

Romeu 6 - Solid, I actually don’t think he had that bad a game even in the first half, but like everyone else dramatically improved second.

Lemina (First half 1, Second half 7) - Absolutely atrocious pre subs, totally wasteful, losing possession at every opportunity, then a different player immediately, with some good orchestration from the centre.

Armstrong 7 - Best player first half, lots of energy on display and was the only player really putting Burnley under pressure at that time. Hope his injury isn’t a bad one.

Redmond 7 - Good game, but as per usual takes a lot of flak from the stands. Can appear to be frustrating, but 9/10 he knows what he is doing and is unpredictable for the opposition. Creates quite a few opportunities for others through this.

Austin 6 - Totally isolated first half, best spell of the game came in the brief period where both him and Ings were on though, seemed to play off of each other well.

Subs;

Ings 7 - I was sceptical before today, but if he can have the effect over 90 mins and not get hit by injury he will be talismanic for us. Early days but superb impact, great distribution and full of energy and attacking intent.

Elyanoussi 7 - played like Tadic on a good day + good crossing and corners. Played really well off of Bertrand and Ings. Promising signs. Along with Ings totally changes the complexion of the game.

Gabbiadini 6 - Didn’t seem to be quite as effective as Austin when alongside Ings, still I’m quite confident in him and expect some good performances this season.

Quick question if anyone gets this far in my essay - Were Austin and Ings once Burnley’s front two in the Championship, or was Austin there before Ings? Just out of curiosity.

Fair play only to an extent. The vast majority on here could see the 3 CBs wasn’t working during preseason; yet Hughes went into the season with it. We should have been dead and buried by the time he changed things. Anyway water under the bridge if he’s now learned his lesson.

I will be stunned if Hughes starts with that set up again (well, hope he does not anyway).

It was woeful and has been all pre season.

he cant be that daft, can he?

Utterly appalling really until we changed it to 4 at the back. The change was almost instant!!!

McCarthy good

Armstrong good

Lemina decent

Mo Decent

Bertrand decent

Ings was superb in the 10 type of position

my MoM, Vest. What a beast.

lets not kid ourselves, against anyone half decent, the game would have been over by 30 mins.

With the players we have, no need for that disgusting 3412 mess again

When we did change, we actually had a midfield, we were winning the ball further up the pitch and able to commit players forward a bit more and we look pretty decent.

Good summary. Not his fault, but Armstrong going off forced the change that made the whole team perform better.

It is too easy to dismiss the starting formation of 3/5 at the back if it isn't being played to its strengths, which it wasn't today. To work properly, it needs two pacey wing backs to get up the pitch when we are playing out, to give width, and three solid central midfielders, at least one of them possessing pace. It requires a solid midfield ahead of them. It also needs the three CBs to have a good understanding between themselves and confidence in each other and the keeper. Cedric didn't get up the field much, so was an obvious candidate for substitution. The lack of pace at the back probably needs to be addressed by playing Yoshida. Vestergaard was solid and reliable, but it is understandably early days for him to meld with the others at the back. He had a good game though.

For these reasons, it seems that this formation was responsible for a very poor half an hour. There might have been an element of Burnley partly having a game plan to put us under immense pressure at the start, combined with some nervousness following our systematic dismantling by Burussia Munchenglabach, and we were constantly losing the 50/50 balls in midfield, aiding them with the usual passing sideways and backwards dross that we have come to loathe during the past couple of seasons. The match had evened out by the last quarter of an hour of the half as either we found our feet or they tired a little. A couple of great saves from McCarthy and some last ditch defending kept us in it, but Austin wasn't getting much service up top and one of the few highlights was Armstrong's willingness to surge forward with the ball at his feet, until he went off injured.

As we had shown improvement towards the end of the half, it wasn't necessary to change the starting 11, but we started the second half in the similar dire style of the first half. Fortunately Hughes recognised it early and made the substitutions that totally changed the game for us. Replacing the injured Armstrong with Ings maintained the forward attacking thrust, maybe even increased it. Elyounoussi for Cedric and making a back four with Stephens at right back gave us more movement and inventiveness in midfield and suddenly the momentum switched in our favour and we strung together a succession of attacks. Redmond put in one his best performances for some time, switched to the right where he is at his best and was a real threat running at Burnley's defence. Ing's ball control and movement was very good and when Gabbiadini came on for Austin, it was very much a case that for the last 20 minutes we were in total command, keeping possession and passing forwards at every opportunity and shooting at will. A succession of last ditch blocks and some good saves by Hart, combined with some blatant time wasting gained them the point.

Just a few incidental mentions in passing. Cork provoked Stephens into pushing him over and he was lucky to escape without a yellow. Shades of the incident with Wilshere; he needs to control his temper. The referee gave free kicks for the merest of contacts. That red carpet is truly awful, as was the interval and pre-match music. We have Sammy Saint drumming up the atmosphere and it seemed to work.

Stand out performances from McCarthy, Armstrong, Vestergaard, Lemina, Redmond, Ings and Elyounossi

At the equivalent match last season, they beat us 1-0, so we're one ahead of last season already. We started off with a 0-0 draw last season against Swansea

It was very refreshing to see a manager with the tactical ability to change formation and make attacking substitutions.

First 50/60 was as bad as I can remember, hopefully we learn that we cannot play a back 5.

Credit to Ings, not his biggest fan, but he cane in and looked sharp and caused them problems. He found space inbetween the lines which is something we missed. Same with Elyounossi, who has to start LW next week.

Shout out to Redmond who I thought was terrific today, the sort of performance we have been crying out for since he started with us.

First 20 minutes we hardly got a kick and were very poor, slightly better the rest of the first half but still a bit lucky to be level at HT.

Started second half the same way as the first, poor. But last half an hour we were far and away the better side.

Really promising. Manager willing to change stuff early enough.

Armstrong-good

Redmond-excellent. I despair of the half a dozen planks in the Kingsland still moaning about him.

Ings- Class above, his signing thread will make interesting re reading as the season goes on.

Keeper- Good saves, but a bit casual with a couple of bits of distribution.

Elyounoussi- Promising

Bertrand, Lemina, Both did ok. Stephens showed good versatility and did well at FB

All in all, encouraging. All the new guys slotted in well & look like they’re buying into Hughes methods. The only downside was probably the lack of a threat whilst Austin’s up there alone. He was tidy a couple of times, but got no service at all. Ings & Gabbi looks like a good partnership to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just back from the game.

Burnley clearly came for a draw and, with our overly defensive formation, we played into their hands in the first 60 mins.

We should've snuck it at the end but a draw probably the fair result.

Ings looks a different class. If he stays fit then we have a decent season on our hands.

Vestergaard impressed and probably snuck my MotM.

I don't think we'll be back to the top 8 heights of the 4 seasons preceding the last one, but their are enough positive signs to suggest we won't be relegation fodder either.

P.s. WTF is that bright red pitch surround all about??!!

He had quiet periods and was virtually anonymous in those dreadful first 20. I would be happier to have had PEH on.

First 20 minutes we hardly got a kick and were very poor, slightly better the rest of the first half but still a bit lucky to be level at HT.

Started second half the same way as the first, poor. But last half an hour we were far and away the better side.

Really promising. Manager willing to change stuff early enough.

Armstrong-good

Redmond-excellent. I despair of the half a dozen planks in the Kingsland still moaning about him.

Ings- Class above, his signing thread will make interesting re reading as the season goes on.

Keeper- Good saves, but a bit casual with a couple of bits of distribution.

Elyounoussi- Promising

Bertrand, Lemina, Both did ok. Stephens showed good versatility and did well at FB

All in all, encouraging. All the new guys slotted in well & look like they’re buying into Hughes methods. The only downside was probably the lack of a threat whilst Austin’s up there alone. He was tidy a couple of times, but got no service at all. Ings & Gabbi looks like a good partnership to me.

Austin gets no service because he doesn't move or hold the ball when it comes to him. Gabbiadini was far better.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

He had quiet periods and was virtually anonymous in those dreadful first 20. I would be happier to have had PEH on.

Hardly the only one though was he? It looked very much like Romeu and Lemina where being made to hold a line in front of the CBs with little or no pressing until Burnley reached our final third which hamstrung both of them. As soon as we changed formation they could play as a proper pivot they both looked a lot better. As for Hoj I would have thought we'd all seen enough him to know he isn't the answer to anything and certainly shouldn't be starting a head of Romeu or Lemina if they are fit.

I hope Hughes has learned that a back four is the way to go. There were cavernous gaps in the midfield for Burnley to exploit in the first half. The team looked so much more comfortable and creative after the formation change.

Pleased with all the new players so far.

Part of the problem with our five at the back was is was a very passive version of that formation. The wingbacks hardly got forward, the holding midfielders just sat in front of the CBs, and the front three where just isolated. We didn't press or harry Burnley in midfield and seemed to be content to allow Burnley the freedom of two thirds of the pitch to keep numbers back.

Five at the back can be effective but not played the way we where playing it.

Austin should not be starting PL games for us. Fine as an impact player for last 20 mins who might scramble a goal in but his contribution was pathetic today. Can’t press, can’t hold the ball up, could barely make 5 yard passes. Seems to relish being fouled so he can steal a breather. Complete embarrassment in terms of fitness levels.

As he was against Borussia the other day. Looking really poor at the moment. Here's hoping Ings comes good!

Part of the problem with our five at the back was is was a very passive version of that formation. The wingbacks hardly got forward, the holding midfielders just sat in front of the CBs, and the front three where just isolated. We didn't press or harry Burnley in midfield and seemed to be content to allow Burnley the freedom of two thirds of the pitch to keep numbers back.

Five at the back can be effective but not played the way we where playing it.

People also need to remember why we switched to 3 centre half’s , and how poor our full backs were defensively in a 4. Have those issues been fixed with the signing of the big fella & Bertrand playing like the Bertrand of old? Maybe, but I’m not entirely convinced. They’ll be games I’m more comfortable with 3 centre half’s and other games when a switch would work better. Cedric worries me in a 4 as he gets beat at the far post or in the gap between the centre half too often.

If we'd got at a tired and traveled Burnley early on we could have won that easily.

Started so poorly and Burnley coulda / shoulda been 2 or 3 up. McCarthy was excellent and saved us today.

Ings looked lively but defensively we look frenzied and unorganized

Opportunity missed and if we persist with that starting 11 and / or formation we are truly ****ed

Disorganised!

People also need to remember why we switched to 3 centre half’s , and how poor our full backs were defensively in a 4. Have those issues been fixed with the signing of the big fella & Bertrand playing like the Bertrand of old? Maybe, but I’m not entirely convinced. They’ll be games I’m more comfortable with 3 centre half’s and other games when a switch would work better. Cedric worries me in a 4 as he gets beat at the far post or in the gap between the centre half too often.

Stephens looked good though at right back

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think the problem was more in the midfield sytem in front of the back 5 rather than the defence.

I think we can play 3 CBs, I just don't think we can play with two CMs when we do. We need 3 in there, maybe Hoj, Rom, Lemina or something, otherwise we leave too many gaps and can't put pressure on the ball, either.

Stephens looked good though at right back

Cedric was a real problem defensively last year, especially with high balls at the far post, but he added something in the forward third and was quick getting back when things broke down.

I'd be okay with Stephens replacing Cedric, but he lacks ideas up there (he can improve) and doesn't get back as quickly (unlikely to change). I'd like to see Stephens get a run in the wide role but only if Yoshida is playing alongside Vestergaard, where he can provide Stephens some cover.

Hoedt is a liability in pretty much any format.

Yeah much better after the subs and formation change, Hopefully Hughes has learnt from that and we will start 4-4-2 next week.

I actually thought McCarthy and the CB's looked good. They held Burnley out even though they were completely exposed for over 1/2 of play *****il the 4-4-2 change). Big V in particular.

442. Stick with it. Too much creative stuff being asked of Stephens in the last 10-15, but we were all over them and a bit unlucky not to get the win. Not as terrible as it could have been but this is an understrength Burnley team that has played three days ago in Europe and we couldn't score against them. Doesn't augur amazingly well but at least it's points on the board.

4-4-2 has to be the best way to shape this team up with Gabbi and Ings up top. Ings looks really good, hope he can stay fit

Vestergaard looked great and would have Yoshi next to him next week as Hoedt still looks like bambi on ice

Redmond also good as was Armstrong first half

Absolutely right. I thought we ended up with just about the best combination of players on the pitch with a 4-4-2. A fit Cedric for Stephens and Yoshida for Hoedt would top things off. The attacking four of Moi, Ings, Gabbi and Redmond looked very promising. Lemina and Romeu very good in the second half; the new CB is going to be a fan favourite and McCarthy kept us in the game, especially 1st half. Ings will make such a difference.

When Hughes came in I honestly thought he'd go fo 4 4 2 and until the second half changes he hadn't woken up. Feed Gabbi and Ings and we should start scoring goals. The first half was appalling and the stats changed dramatically once we went onto an attacking formation. We finished up with 18 shots and could have had a pen. If we can keep this formation (less one particular under achiever) we should do well. I fancy our chances against Everton next week.

Spot on.

5-2-2-1 is a shocking formation and it does not work for us.

We leave far too much in the midfield and the build up play is too slow.

This formation encourages the opposition to put men forward which then puts us more on the back foot.

When it was 4-4-2 we looked so much better as it gives the midfield more time and the forwards can dart around the pitch better.

MOM for me was Redmond closely followed by Vestergaard. Did like the look of Ings as his creating space in the opposition box is something we have missed since Pelle left.

It was not really 4-4-2 after 55 minutes when the changes were made, it was more 4-2-3-1.

Admittedly there isn't a huge amount of difference between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1, but I think the second half shape was different enough to be classed as 4-2-3-1.

Yeah much better after the subs and formation change, Hopefully Hughes has learnt from that and we will start 4-4-2 next week.

Exactly this ..........1st half thought we had swapped managers again,and Hughes was in disguise.....

Worst 1st half ive seen in a long long time.2nd was better but only when we made changes and went 4-4-2...........if thats our strenght then why do we need to copy

other teams that cope better at this new 3 at the back formation. It made me feel nervous at times and the crowd was on edge.

To be honest Ings looked bright and you could see there was a good movment about his play ,trained well at Liverpool. Shows potential ......its a start .