Saints 0 Burnley 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

A game of two halves.Appalling 1st half but after the change of formation at 55 minutes we looked a lot brighter.

Reasons to be cheerful:

McCarthy very good

Vestegaard very good

Ings looked bright

+ Redmond... showing great promise

+ Lemina.... good game

Not the win we wanted, BUT we drew against the doggedly-defensive side that finished 7th last year and beat Chelsea away in their opening game then. We have the elements to construct both a more robust defense and an exciting attack. I'm not unhappy.

Gonna talk about the team that finished the game, not started it;

McCarthy - Absolutely love having a safe pair of hands in goal.

Stephens - Much better a right-back than Cedric in this game, would love to see him play in DM though. Not much of a CB but still quite a cultured footballer.

Hoedt - I never want to see him play for Saints again.

Vestergaard - Very impressed. Felt sorry for him bailing (mainly Hoedt) out. Distribution not bad either.

Bertrand - Seems happier at LB than LWB. Irrespective of however he plays, he is one of the few players we have left of genuine class.

Lemina - Clearly a classy player, would love to have seen him alongside a Scheiderlin/Wanyama.

Romeu - Ever so meh about him now.

Elyenoussi - Seems a slick operator. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Redmond - Came alive after the subs/formation change; looked a genuine threat running at people.

Ings - Lively, can't wait for him to have a couple of genuine chances created for him. For all his injuries, looks very fresh and sharp. Good leap on him too.

Gabbadini - One good chance, would love to start him alongside the other attacking quartet we finished with.

Same again at Everton with the exception of Hoedt starting. He should be banished from professional football. Yoshida to replace please.

Looked so much more comfortable with four at the back, which makes me wonder why we spent the entire pre-season stubbornly playing a back five. Redmond was very good second half, Elyounoussi showed touches of class and Ings looked sharp. Despite all the chopping and changing, our best team now looks pretty obvious:

McCarthy, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Yoshida, Cedric, Lemina, Romeu, Redmond, Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Ings

Utterly appalling really until we changed it to 4 at the back. The change was almost instant!!!

McCarthy good

Armstrong good

Lemina decent

Mo Decent

Bertrand decent

Ings was superb in the 10 type of position

my MoM, Vest. What a beast.

lets not kid ourselves, against anyone half decent, the game would have been over by 30 mins.

With the players we have, no need for that disgusting 3412 mess again

When we did change, we actually had a midfield, we were winning the ball further up the pitch and able to commit players forward a bit more and we look pretty decent.

442. Stick with it. Too much creative stuff being asked of Stephens in the last 10-15, but we were all over them and a bit unlucky not to get the win. Not as terrible as it could have been but this is an understrength Burnley team that has played three days ago in Europe and we couldn't score against them. Doesn't augur amazingly well but at least it's points on the board.

4-4-2 has to be the best way to shape this team up with Gabbi and Ings up top. Ings looks really good, hope he can stay fit

Vestergaard looked great and would have Yoshi next to him next week as Hoedt still looks like bambi on ice

Redmond also good as was Armstrong first half

Our new boys looked good

Armstrong creative spark and the only threat first half

Elyounoussi decent corners and good movement

Vestergaard looks calm and had good interventions

Skip the back 5...

Forgot Ings who played really well. If stays fit it’s gonna be a really god buy

A game of two halves.Appalling 1st half but after the change of formation at 55 minutes we looked a lot brighter.

Reasons to be cheerful:

McCarthy very good

Vestegaard very good

Ings looked bright

True dat!

I thought Lemina was everywhere today, considerng all the srick he got last week for not being 100% after tonsillitis.

Good attacking substiutions and Stephens looked OK as right back cover, could have scored, but needs to work on his crossing .

If you had started watching from about the 30 min mark we clearly the better side

McCarthy very good

Vestergard very good

Armstrong looked like he wanted to actually move the ball forward in the first half - a shame he wasn’t on with the adjusted formation

Ings quite lively

Overall still very wasteful both with shots off target and not getting enough numbers in the box

Agree with this, and would add Ely and Armstrong looking promising and Redmond became more and more influential as the game went on. Start with the same formation we finished with next week. Yoshida with Vestergaard and Soares back to RB, Stephens can't cross a road.

Overall, the last 35 minutes was actually enjoyable to watch and may have warranted a penalty but need to see it again. #WeMarchOn

Redmond played extremely well after the formation change. Vesti was class. Ings buzzing. Ely looks a handful but a bit Tadic like passing up the chance of a shot a couple of times.

Before the formation change: worried

After the formation change: encouraged

We really grew into that and the tactical changes in the second half worked. But my god, that first half was dreadful.

A fair draw. Burnley defended well when needed just as we did.

Vestergaard looks excellent. Ings really hit the ground running. A good point on the board.

Absolutely shocking till the switch.

New guys all looked decent,Lemina was good all game,Redmond looks a different player(on a good way) ,positive changes by Hughes .

Are we the worst team in the league when it comes to throw ins,and have been for some time?We seem to take an eternity with them.

Awful first half. Looked much better in a back four.

A reasonable point. Should have probably had a penalty at the end too.

Vestergaard looking just what we missed last season, a center back that is dominant aerially.

Ings looked good. Just hope his injuries are behind him.

Thought redmond was excellent today. Probably my mom.

Also I liked the fact we didn’t seem to die fitness wise in last 15 like last season.

Still think hoedt is a weak link.

Yeah much better after the subs and formation change, Hopefully Hughes has learnt from that and we will start 4-4-2 next week.

Absolutely right. I thought we ended up with just about the best combination of players on the pitch with a 4-4-2. A fit Cedric for Stephens and Yoshida for Hoedt would top things off. The attacking four of Moi, Ings, Gabbi and Redmond looked very promising. Lemina and Romeu very good in the second half; the new CB is going to be a fan favourite and McCarthy kept us in the game, especially 1st half. Ings will make such a difference.

Our new boys looked good

Armstrong creative spark and the only threat first half

Elyounoussi decent corners and good movement

Vestergaard looks calm and had good interventions

Skip the back 5...

Add Ings bringing others into the play and 2nd half display brings some optimism. Although as im watching on tv from the usa you dont get true view of the teams movement

Not sure what position Redmond was occupying after the change but appeared to play deeper and more central and looked significantly better for it.

Much more encourging second half - and hopefully we now ditch the three at the back. Hoedt and Stephens, in particular, seemed clearer about their jobs. That said, Burnley definitely tired after their midweek and first half exertions.

I hate Burnley.

Every time I watch them, I dislike them more.

Dirty bunch of diving, fouling cheats. Barnes is loathsome and a blight on football.

Vokes should have been sent off for intentionally elbowing Vestergard.

Ings should have had a penalty, also there should possibly have been another for Austin from Mee trying to pull his shirt off during a corner.

I really hope VAR gets introduced soon so their cheap, disgraceful antics can be stamped out.

Disgusting team.

After switching to get more players central I think we played pretty well and looked dangerous as we were better able to put pressure on the ball.

When we played 5-4-1 we didn't have the players in the right place to do that and we were too easy to play against.

Ings looked lively and was denied a clear penalty. Gabbi looked pretty sharp, Lemina, Vestergard, Redmond, Armstrong, Moi and Bertrand were all good, too.

Stephens looked OK at right back, Hoedt made three very bad mistakes, Cedric and Austin completely anonymous. Romeu not quite at his best.

McCarthy was probably our best player and made some excellent saves.

Overall, on the balance of the match, a draw was probably a pretty fair result, although we should have had at least one penalty.

I still hate Burnley.

When Hughes came in I honestly thought he'd go fo 4 4 2 and until the second half changes he hadn't woken up. Feed Gabbi and Ings and we should start scoring goals. The first half was appalling and the stats changed dramatically once we went onto an attacking formation. We finished up with 18 shots and could have had a pen. If we can keep this formation (less one particular under achiever) we should do well. I fancy our chances against Everton next week.

Stephens way better at RB than SOares who was awful. Hoedt to be replaced by Yoshida but then pretty much the same side that finished next game please.

First 55 minutes was as dire as anything served up by the clown last season and totally unnecessary playing Burnley at home.

We can't start with Austin up top. Does nothing. Can't play with 3 central defenders either, Hoedt has to go.

Offensivley Armstrong, Ely, Ings, Redmond and Gabbiadini all played well. Lemina had a good game second half.

Vestergaard and McCarthy MOTM.

5-2-2-1 does not work, end of story. Thankfully Burnley didn't punish us.

We ended the game well - Everton will be a bigger test but if we play the same team/formation at the end of the game we'll have a chance of getting something.

Spot on.

5-2-2-1 is a shocking formation and it does not work for us.

We leave far too much in the midfield and the build up play is too slow.

This formation encourages the opposition to put men forward which then puts us more on the back foot.

When it was 4-4-2 we looked so much better as it gives the midfield more time and the forwards can dart around the pitch better.

MOM for me was Redmond closely followed by Vestergaard. Did like the look of Ings as his creating space in the opposition box is something we have missed since Pelle left.

Looked so much more comfortable with four at the back, which makes me wonder why we spent the entire pre-season stubbornly playing a back five. Redmond was very good second half, Elyounoussi showed touches of class and Ings looked sharp. Despite all the chopping and changing, our best team now looks pretty obvious:

McCarthy, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Yoshida, Cedric, Lemina, Romeu, Redmond, Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Ings

I'd go along with that side

Obviously we looked a million times better once we switched to 2 centrebacks, almost as soon as we made the switch. We'll be fine this season if we play 2 cbs, the difference was so clear I'd be amazed if he goes back to 3 cbs. I would play 4-4-2

McCarthy

Cedric Vestegaard Hoedt Bertrand (Yoshida might get a look in ahead of Hoedt from time to time)

Elyounoussi Romeu Armstrong Redmond

Ings Austin (When we play against tougher opposition maybe play Hoijberg or Ward Prowse instead of Armstrong)

Obviously we looked a million times better once we switched to 2 centrebacks, almost as soon as we made the switch. We'll be fine this season if we play 2 cbs, the difference was so clear I'd be amazed if he goes back to 3 cbs. I would play 4-4-2

McCarthy

Cedric Vestegaard Hoedt Bertrand (Yoshida might get a look in ahead of Hoedt from time to time)

Elyounoussi Romeu Armstrong Redmond

Ings Austin (When we play against tougher opposition maybe play Hoijberg or Ward Prowse instead of Armstrong)

Thank f**k you’re not manager larry.

If we'd got at a tired and traveled Burnley early on we could have won that easily.

Started so poorly and Burnley coulda / shoulda been 2 or 3 up. McCarthy was excellent and saved us today.

Ings looked lively but defensively we look frenzied and unorganized

Opportunity missed and if we persist with that starting 11 and / or formation we are truly ****ed

The last 15 mins papered over some cracks.

We were ****e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Season over. Relegation is coming. Glass completely empty mentality... zzz

I’m really excited for this season. The new guys was impressive, give them time to gel and ditch the 5 at the back and we’ll be fine.