Vestergaard

Bad Wolf

Sorry, not sure of the spelling. Thought he was excellent. Didn't put a foot wrong!

Apart from when he wiped out his own feet trying to backheel the ball back into the box just after they cleared off the line and landed in a heap on the floor! That aside, looked strong, physically competent and assured. Being 6'6" helps aerially. Would like to see him paired with Yoshida for Everton.

Let’s wait and see - similar comments were made about Wesley Shîte after his first game or two. Burnley’s shïthouse tactics and Chris Wood were bread and butter for him. Let’s see how he fares against quicker forwards or players running at him. Nonetheless encouraging start.

Let’s wait and see - similar comments were made about Wesley Shîte after his first game or two. Burnley’s shïthouse tactics and Chris Wood were bread and butter for him. Let’s see how he fares against quicker forwards or players running at him. Nonetheless encouraging start.

Oh I'm pretty sure he will get destroyed by the likes of Mane, Aguero, and Salah. Having said that we lost quite a few points against the more direct sides with more physical CFs last season so if he can keep out goals from those sort of sides we are improving on last season.

Hopefully he'll have given Hughes the confidence to play just a flat 4 at the back. That stretched clearance to deny Chris Wood a tap in was absolutely superb, and showed his great anticipation and a bit of agility. As someone above has said, may get killed by the top forwards but hopefully we won't be conceding too many back post headed goals this season like we did so often last year. Very impressive.

I thought he grew into the game by the end was eating up Burnley's high balls.

He won all but about one header all match long. He's looked assured pretty much all the time since I first saw him against Celta (when we still managed to concede two goals). The only thing resembling an error today was when he tracked his man and then went to clear up behind Hoedt, who instead headed the ball straight over him to put a Burnley player in on goal, which put him hugely out of position. I've been impressed, but he's still got Hoedt and Stephens either side.

I'm going to bow to the praise on here. I must have simply missed something. I thought he was okay, but he didn't dazzle me. I was also expecting more bullet headers, seemed to me to nod the ball away sometimes.

Ings and Redmond were the two who impressed me most. Romeu looked good in 442 as well.

I'm going to bow to the praise on here. I must have simply missed something. I thought he was okay, but he didn't dazzle me. I was also expecting more bullet headers, seemed to me to nod the ball away sometimes.

Ings and Redmond were the two who impressed me most. Romeu looked good in 442 as well.

One defensive header was so hard and accurate it started a counter attack.

One defensive header was so hard and accurate it started a counter attack.

There was another moment where he threw himself at full stretch to intercept a superb cross and prevent an almost certain goal.

I think he has all the early makings of a cult hero for us.

While we are talking about Vester, just a mention to Hoedt for a brilliant sliding tackle down in the Kingsland/Chapel corner. Maybe 4, 5 and 6 can give each other confidence and be greater than the sum of their parts....maybe.

Yeah he made a couple of awful errors yesterday but he also had a few really good moments. I remember a really good interception in the 2nd half to prevent a clear scoring chance. I know he has his detractors, but I'm sure there is a good player in there if he can learn to cut out the howlers like Yoshida has.

Yeah we should get rid now if he can't deal with those trundlers.

Hardly we bought him to stop the likes of Vokes and Murray from nodding in free headers like they did last season and as such I'm very much in favour of the signing but I think he will struggle against quick forwards we need to make sure he has the right partner(s) around him which for me is Yoshida of the options we have.

While we are talking about Vester, just a mention to Hoedt for a brilliant sliding tackle down in the Kingsland/Chapel corner. Maybe 4, 5 and 6 can give each other confidence and be greater than the sum of their parts....maybe.

Yeah, that was a decent tackle. My problem with him is that he always looks so uncomfortable, like he's going to trip over his feet. Lacks awareness and doesn't seem to anticipate stuff very well. He's been here a year now and already Vestergaard after 1 game has shown everything Hoedt hasn’t.

Just my two pence, but I think Hoedt is always going to be a bit of an uncomfortable watch.

Maybe the problem was that Hoedt was brought in and expected to be the leader of the backs. It seems some players don't play so well being the leader. I think Vestergaard showed that he might be OK with that role, and if so, maybe that will "free up" Hoedt. Of course this might be complete and utter ballocks.

Vestergaard looked far better than he's looked in any of the pre-season games, which came as a pleasant surprise. He really was commanding in the air and blocked and tackled well. He still pushed players over on a couple of occasions, conceding free-kicks but apart from that, you really couldn't fault him. However, he was up against one of the slowest and most ineffective attacks in the league. Burnley scored even fewer goals than we did last season, and their big, lumbering forwards, Wood and Vokes, were ideal for someeone like Vestergaard to deal with with. What concerned me during the pre-season games, was that Vestergaard looked unable to cope with fast forwards running into the penalty area. So, let's see how he copes against Everton, who will present much more of a challenge than Burnley did.

Sorry, not sure of the spelling. Thought he was excellant. Didn't put a foot wrong!

Except when Hoedt went for a header and together with one of the Burnley attackers on the edge of our box and he didn't take a few steps back to cover. It was the reason for Burnleys biggest chance of the match.

He played very well but he could also have cost us a goal with that mistake.

Screen_Shot_2018_08_15_at_11_11_09.png

jnv9gUScreen_Shot_2018_08_15_at_11_11_15.png

Screen_Shot_2018_08_15_at_11_11_21.png

Some of the best centre backs have had a reputation for slowness of foot. They had speed of thought though and could read the game. This in itself is a great skill in itself.

Jannik appeared slow but he was also able to put himself where needed and with a few games in this league he could become our most valuable outfield player.

Cutting down on the number of goals let in eases the pressure on our strikers.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the perils of having a toddler is the rubbish songs they like...

But perhaps a song for Vestergaard.....?

Love it - sing through the team - Alex M dodododododo, Ryan B dodododododo, Westergaard dodododododo and so on

Our equivalent of 10 men went to mow or (for us older boys) "we've got Eric Martin in our goal etc ... we've got the best team in the land"