Getting a beer at half time

hypochondriac

In the Itchen North was absolutely impossible. You would have thought they'd have rehearsed things or something. Not a single person who went down after 45 minutes was able to get their hands on a beer and they closed the bar as soon as the second half started despite a sign saying it would close ten minutes into the half which meant that people had been waiting about 20 minutes and were then denied service. People were quite rightly kicking off about it but found very little sympathy from the staff or stewards on duty.

I don't know if it was a lack of staff, if they had new staff or if the staff were just incompetent but they need to change something for the next game.

On a similar note...

I was in the main part of the Northam today and was surprised that there is only one small beer servery open for the whole stand.

I usually go in block 39 (Northam/Kingsland corner) and there are 3 beer serveries in that part of the concourse, which normally means it's relatively quick to get served.

Just seems weird that the main home stand only has one small beer outlet, and not rocket science to put right one would have thought...

In the Itchen North was absolutely impossible. You would have thought they'd have rehearsed things or something. Not a single person who went down after 45 minutes was able to get their hands on a beer and they closed the bar as soon as the second half started despite a sign saying it would close ten minutes into the half which meant that people had been waiting about 20 minutes and were then denied service. People were quite rightly kicking off about it but found very little sympathy from the staff or stewards on duty.

I don't know if it was a lack of staff, if they had new staff or if the staff were just incompetent but they need to change something for the next game.

TBH mate if it was the usual lukewarm Carlsberg **** ("Probably the best lager in the world" LOL) they did you a favour.

I was waiting for a thread to appear about service at St Marys today.

It made me laugh after the supporters survey, how things had very obviously declined even further today.

When the thread was up for the survey a sizable number of people noted the issues with queuing and lack of variety.

So the clubs reaction over the summer was to change the signage, install eye bleed inducing red skirting along the pitch, introduce action cheese entry music from some generic b movie as the pitch entry music and add some random pyrotechnics that no one could give a toss about.

Meanwhile queues have got worse (today is the worst I have ever seen it and that's saying something, because it was consistently dire before), the product range hasnt changed, prices have gone up and the screens in the stand were displaying the line ups from the Man City game last season.

Extremely shoddy stuff that almost yells 'We have you by the balls, who gives a **** if you have a good time'. Its even worse when you compare it to the Rose Bowl, which by and large is a great day out, even if Hampshire are trash.

It made me laugh after the supporters survey, how things had very obviously declined even further today.

When the thread was up for the survey a sizable number of people noted the issues with queuing and lack of variety.

So the clubs reaction over the summer was to change the signage, install eye bleed inducing red skirting along the pitch, introduce action cheese entry music from some generic b movie as the pitch entry music and add some random pyrotechnics that no one could give a toss about.

Meanwhile queues have got worse (today is the worst I have ever seen it and that's saying something, because it was consistently dire before), the product range hasnt changed, prices have gone up and the screens in the stand were displaying the line ups from the Man City game last season.

Extremely shoddy stuff that almost yells 'We have you by the balls, who gives a **** if you have a good time'. Its even worse when you compare it to the Rose Bowl, which by and large is a great day out, even if Hampshire are trash.

Got to agree with all of this.

Comical how the cannot cater to masses. We send one of our group out early - sacrilege I know but saw many queuing in Kingsland as player come out for 2nd half, can they not just mimic a successful operation elsewhere? Hardly need an MBA to resolve something so fcking simple.

They listened though!

Gave up going down to concourse to buy anything August 2001

17 years later and it’s amazing they can’t devise a system that works even slightly faster than the first day the stadium opened.

Best system I have ever seen was at Peterborough mid week promotion season, the queue ran pretty much the length of the stand behind the goal we filled, in the time it took to have a smoke the queue had vanished with at least 5 minutes of half time left, 5 Ladies ran the little kiosk they worked it with military precision, each had their job.

I mean, its great if they are following up on this.

However, did anyone actually see any of these changes in action (bar signage)? Or is this supposed to be a work in progress?

What on earth do people expect? Ale with Cask Marque accreditation, served by buxom wenches in a friendly atmosphere where everybody knows your name.

Anybody who queues and then pays just short of a £5 for that **** isn’t a proper drinker anyway. As for the ones that miss some of the game to drink it, words are beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a similar note...

I was in the main part of the Northam today and was surprised that there is only one small beer servery open for the whole stand.

I usually go in block 39 (Northam/Kingsland corner) and there are 3 beer serveries in that part of the concourse, which normally means it's relatively quick to get served.

Just seems weird that the main home stand only has one small beer outlet, and not rocket science to put right one would have thought...

They introduced beer tokens today. I didn't actually see anyone buy any, and I've seen nothing about how it's meant to work. But tbh the last time I even bothered to try and buy a beer in the ground was when they introduced Saints Ale, which was what, 10 years ago now? Pub before and sometimes after, why bother when I'm there and there's nothing worth getting there early for?

I've bought soft drinks and hot drinks, and food in the same time frame, usually entirely necessary.

Oh yeah, and the Man City possession stats from May were very impressive. :facepalm:.

Edited by The9

I mean, its great if they are following up on this.

However, did anyone actually see any of these changes in action (bar signage)? Or is this supposed to be a work in progress?

The paninis were there 2 weeks ago for Celta Vigo, £4.20, no ta. Didn't get there early enough to test the ST discount on anything. Mobile connectivity still dire. No noticeable coffee cart despite my wife actively asking about it.

One for Ivan Kats 'tache methinks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

You called? Noted chaps. We had our scene setting meet before the game today & this is absolutely something I can feed back on and will do. There is a real "supporter experience" focus for the group, amongst other things, and I'd agree that the service isn't great (I've given up trying to buy from there in recent times TBH).

What on earth do people expect? Ale with Cask Marque accreditation, served by buxom wenches in a friendly atmosphere where everybody knows your name.

Anybody who queues and then pays just short of a £5 for that **** isn’t a proper drinker anyway. As for the ones that miss some of the game to drink it, words are beyond me.

Quicker service as seen in other grounds. Look at what is offer at Rose Bowl -it doesn’t have to be Carlsberg or fck all.

Love how the flask and sandwich brigade mock someone who wants a half time pint.

Why anyone wants to queue for 20.mins for over priced ****y beer has always been a mystery. Can't you wait until after the game? Are you really that much of a dipsomaniac that you have to have a beer at half time?
No I just hadn't seen some of my mates for a couple of weeks, we didn't have time for a beer at the pub beforehand and so I was going to grab a quick pint and a chat with them.

No I expected the absolute minimum which was a poor pint of alcohol served to me relatively quickly- within 15 minutes for me to enjoy at half time whilst having a chat with my mates. It's not asking the world, it should be something they can manage, particularly because they are throwing money away and annoying supporters at the same time by turning away loads of people.

You called? Noted chaps. We had our scene setting meet before the game today & this is absolutely something I can feed back on and will do. There is a real "supporter experience" focus for the group' date=' amongst other things, and I'd agree that the service isn't great (I've given up trying to buy from there in recent times TBH).[/quote']Cheers. It really was a joke, particularly the way the steward made out that people were being unreasonable for expressing annoyance that they had queued for over 20 minutes and they then shut the bar before they had a chance to get a pint.

Its a mess, there are blueprints at plenty of other sporting events which improve the service, and it's been crap at St Marys for so long. Why do they not have a few pop up bars which just sell bottles, and you can only pay with tokens or something which you have to pre-buy. Why do they not have people walking round with backpacks of beer?

I've not grabbed a beer for years at St Marys, and it p1sses me off that so many people leave the stand on 40 mins, but it's completely understandable. They have to do something about it.

Why anyone wants to queue for 20.mins for over priced ****y beer has always been a mystery. Can't you wait until after the game? Are you really that much of a dipsomaniac that you have to have a beer at half time?
A valid point of view but somewhat misses the point. All people are highlighting is that if an entertainment venue offers refreshment facilities then it's not beyond the wit of man to make it work efficiently, regardless of the quality of the product being served.

A valid point of view but somewhat misses the point. All people are highlighting is that if an entertainment venue offers refreshment facilities then it's not beyond the wit of man to make it work efficiently, regardless of the quality of the product being served.

Exactly and even worse that they took time to communicate that they were going to improve it yet anecdotally it seems it was worse than ever yesterday.

Queuing for over 20 minutes when half time is 15. Seems that many people come to SMS for the beer, so I guess the club is doing something right.

It clearly bothers you a lot. Is this going to be the final nail.....last year of buying a ST as football is no longer viewed by purists and some even oddly want a beer with their mates?

You’re obviously not a ‘proper drinker’.

I can just imagine LD and his real ale bores bemoaning the lack of ‘Monk’s Foreskin’ everywhere they go. Probably doing monty python impersonations as they mock all the lager drinkers.

You're to young to sound this old. A perfect example of what Southampton Football Club does to its fans :lol:

It clearly bothers you a lot. Is this going to be the final nail.....last year of buying a ST as football is no longer viewed by purists and some even oddly want a beer with their mates?

Possibly, last time as a ST holder (but as I acknowledged I say that most years). But no, it doesn't bother me. Just more curious as to a) why people have to have a beer at the football and b) why you would queue up for so long for such a nasty beer out of plastic (which just makes it eve nastier) while paying far too much for the "pleasure". Having said that, I am also surprised that people drink lager so much in pubs and homes. I guess if you are happy with ****y beer, who am I to say otherwise. Hypo says because he hadn't seen some people for a while. Do you have to have a beer to do that?

I'm not going to go into the bit about coming to SMS to watch football rather than drink beer, but some around me leave at half time 5 minutes early and get back 5 mins after the 2nd half starts, and then leave 5 mins before the game ends, thus missing over 15% of the game, as they are of course entitled to do what they want, when they want. Just seems a strange thing to do when what is on offer is so nasty.

... 1653b1ffeceb3f15dc64dab0fb88763b.jpg

If you say so, but if you fail to recognise a bit of sarcasm, that is your wont.

Possibly, last time as a ST holder (but as I acknowledged I say that most years). But no, it doesn't bother me. Just more curious as to a) why people have to have a beer at the football and b) why you would queue up for so long for such a nasty beer out of plastic (which just makes it eve nastier) while paying far too much for the "pleasure". Having said that, I am also surprised that people drink lager so much in pubs and homes. I guess if you are happy with ****y beer, who am I to say otherwise. Hypo says because he hadn't seen some people for a while. Do you have to have a beer to do that?

I'm not going to go into the bit about coming to SMS to watch football rather than drink beer, but some around me leave at half time 5 minutes early and get back 5 mins after the 2nd half starts, and then leave 5 mins before the game ends, thus missing over 15% of the game, as they are of course entitled to do what they want, when they want. Just seems a strange thing to do when what is on offer is so nasty.

If you say so, but if you fail to recognise a bit of sarcasm, that is your wont.

No I didn't HAVE to have anything. I fancied a beer and a chat with a mate at half time. The service is currently offered but the implementation from the club is poor. You can argue about the merits of having a beer or the type of beer in offer but the fact remains that if for what ever reason you want a refreshment at half time, it is currently impossible to get one in certain stands unless you leave before the end of the half and even that isn't a guarantee. Going off on a tangent about how cr*p the beer is and questioning why anyone would want a drink misses the point entirely or is just deliberate trolling. Edited by hypochondriac

Good on you. I happen to agree with you, that it is **** poor to offer a service that is not fit for purpose, not least as it doesn't help the coffers. I guess the real difference is that if I saw a queue that long, I wouldn't even join it.

I hope in a couple of weeks, you won't be so inconvenienced with getting your refreshments at half time. :)

For the record I have bottled cider - Somersby I think and nothing t9 write home about. There are 6 of us so one leaves early to avoid queues. Rest leave at whistle and turn up to beer. So I may miss 15 to 20 mins assuming I get them in 3 or 4 times a season.

I don’t get why people would queue either because obviously you need time to drink it so no point getting served minutes before the second half.

Surely they could have X amount of beers already poured 20 mins before half time. I wonder if the payment and giving change takes more time. Bottle of water £2 easy, other products are priced at £2.30 and £2.40 so that adds time sorting change. How about a credit card type scheme with credit on and swipe it like an Oyster card or such like. Vending machines for coke and sweets/chocolate bars? We queued for a bottle of water, had there been vending it would have been easy, we wouldn't have been in the queue taking up time for the beer drinkers

Good on you. I happen to agree with you, that it is **** poor to offer a service that is not fit for purpose, not least as it doesn't help the coffers. I guess the real difference is that if I saw a queue that long, I wouldn't even join it.

I hope in a couple of weeks, you won't be so inconvenienced with getting your refreshments at half time. :)

The queue wasn't particularly long. The ridiculous amount of time that it took for each individual to be served was what took the time.

Surely they could have X amount of beers already poured 20 mins before half time. I wonder if the payment and giving change takes more time. Bottle of water £2 easy, other products are priced at £2.30 and £2.40 so that adds time sorting change. How about a credit card type scheme with credit on and swipe it like an Oyster card or such like. Vending machines for coke and sweets/chocolate bars? We queued for a bottle of water, had there been vending it would have been easy, we wouldn't have been in the queue taking up time for the beer drinkers
There's a myriad of ways they could solve it, with the added benefit that the club would make more money and have happier supporters. Hopefully this new fan initiative could sort things a bit.

You may have to step down to non league to get your full refreshment quota at a football match , at that level some people barely bother with the football bit ! There is still the half time rush but you can get one or three during play to compensate .

I remember at Palace a couple of seasons ago you could still smoke in the ground ( by the food outlets) !!!

It is largely a waste of time trying to get refreshment at St Marys , we used to have the odd warm lager from a plastic bottle but soon weaned ourselves off that . Don't forget at world cups they had to change the local laws to allow drinking in the stadium to please the lager multi national firms and certain soft drinks were confiscated to appease sponsors . In a way it would be good to have numerous outlets in the ground selling beer but I suspect some fans might overdo it ......